Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: 3XS Black Widow Extreme (watercooled)

Thanks
    • Ben @ Scan's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Evga X58 Sli LE
      • CPU:
      • Intel Core I7 920@4.5Gig
      • Memory:
      • 6 Gig Corsair DDR3 1600
      • Storage:
      • 1 x Intel 80 Gig SSD & 2 x 1TB Samsung Spinpoint F1
      • Graphics card(s):
      • Nvidia GTX 580
      • PSU:
      • Corsair 1000 Watt
      • Case:
      • Silver Temjin 07 (Silverstone)
      • Operating System:
      • Win 7 Pro 64 Bit
      • Monitor(s):
      • 27" Iiyama
      • Internet:
      • 50mb Virgin Media

Re: 3XS Black Widow Extreme (watercooled)

Hi Perfectionist

Please use the query system that you have previously used regarding the system as this allows us to keep track of all conversations, emails and every other form of correspondance in one area

I will reply through the Query system regarding your questions

Regards

Ben

Thanks

Thanks got your mails, going to run the tests then reply

edit: Actually replied here too quick, you don't seem to have addressed the other half of my query about the USB problems, only possible tests for the crashes - sent an email reply
    Last edited by Perfectionist; 18-03-2010 at 05:59 PM.

Registered+
    Thanks

Hi Perfectionists are you really happy with the overall build and running performance of your Scan built PC? I am looking to order one next month hopefully

Thanks

did the memtest86+ v4.00 recommended, 10 passes no errors, 10 hours and just under 8 minutes

loaded the bios' 3xs saved ASUS O.C. Profile and seemed to fix the CPU fan errors (there is no CPU fan, it seemed to think there was one after the reset, probably caused by a crash since I have to turn the power off manually every time the freezes happen), not sure about crashes yet I haven't used much flash, don't think there's any macromedia flash stress testing stuff so guess I'll just have to wait and see with that.

The only third party software I have running in the background obviously other than web browser and the pre-installed by you kaspersky virus scanner, ATI graphics drivers etc and aquasuite are my g15 keyboard and razer mamba mouse drivers, but I'm taking a look at those restoring from backup options now.
    The link you gave with the link to the PDF on restoring from backup with Acronis True Image home seems to be out of date for the 2010 version, the screenshots look totally different and there is no "Backup and Restore" option.

I looked at the tabs and the "Recovery" tab seems to make the most sense to choose, and it says "No items to display". In the "Tools and Utilities" tab I notice there's an option that says "Manage Acronis Secure Zone" which matches up with what the PDF describes, however it seems to be to create one - there seems to be not one already made.

I took a look back at the build/QC form (Build Number xxx [see email], OLQ Number: xxx [see email]) and looking over it I notice there are a couple bits that seem relevant "Acronis Secure Zone Created", "Acronis F11 Started Activated", "System Backed Up" and finally "Archived Validated". These are all marked with a cross rather than diagonal lines, indicating that no backup was ever made. What was the reason for this?

I remember reading something about this before, I took a look at the forums and found this made by you:
    http://forums.hexus.net/scan-3xs-sys...xs-system.html
    "If a 3XS customer purchases Acronis with their system which we have offered since Acronis V8
    We create a hidden partition for setting the system back to its factory default software, where all drivers and software is known to work ok...The Acronis Secure Zone."

Also, the firewire ports neither front nor back have been checked either, both have an X on both the boxes rather than one diagonal line like other boxes that aren't left blank.
    Left completely blank are "QC Sticker", "System Polished", "Set Build Database to System Built", "Send Email", "Set to systems > callbacks in OLQ", and the entirety of the "Bios Configuration" section ("Bios Version", "Overclock System Yes/No", "Memory Timings Set", "Memory Voltage Set", "Primary Display Set", "Bios Profile Saved", "ECP/EPP 1.9 Set", "ACPI 2.0 Enabled", "S3 Resume Set", "Q-Fan Set", "Check CPU Temp", all been left completely blank as though they weren't important to do or check... I know I asked for it to not be overclocked but I would've thought those rather fundamental things would've been checked to make sure they were definitely set to stable levels...

(emailed full details)

Thanks

Nzastudios: Other than the stuff I've mentioned already (the USB problems I think are more annoying since they are more common than the crashes, and having to plug in and pretty often having to plug out and in keyboard/mouse until it works several times whenever it happens is bloody annoying) it's been mostly pretty good. Boots up VERY fast, it's just the USB problems mean I can't actually use it for a while heh. Games especially look very nice but again it'd be a lot better without mouse seemingly randomly dying (keyboard seems to be ok once it's sorted out after bootup, unless you pull it out and in again then it doesn't work again til reboot, but no reason to do that really).

My last purchase I was blaming myself when the pc had problems for cutting corners in buying from a "budget" retailer (ocuk) who apparently had no QC checking whatsoever and just wanted to get things out the door as fast as possible, at least from experience so far I'm pretty sure Scan will manage to sort it out (though yeah backup not being made when it says all pcs come with it done, bios not being checked etc shouldn't have happened in the first place)
    Last edited by Perfectionist; 25-03-2010 at 04:59 PM.

Thanks
    • Ben @ Scan's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Evga X58 Sli LE
      • CPU:
      • Memory:
      • Storage:
      • Graphics card(s):
      • Nvidia GTX 580
      • PSU:
      • Corsair 1000 Watt
      • Case:
      • Operating System:
      • Win 7 Pro 64 Bit
      • Monitor(s):
      • 27" Iiyama
      • Internet:
      • 50mb Virgin Media

Hi Perfectionist

I have looked in detail at your invoice and the build, as you didnt purchase the Operating System with your 3XS system we are unable to create an image for you.

I have answered the remainder of your questions in the online query

Regards

Ben

Registered+
    Thanks

Sup perfectionist. How is your PC running to date since the last time back you posted the issue you had?

Thanks

Hey sorry been really busy barely checking forums, it's good, I still need to get around reinstalling Windows (and so wiping everything since I wasn't given a backup, argh, I'm going to see if I can copy the aquaero settings hopefully most of it's actually stored on the firmware) to see if it sorts out the mouse dying issue though (Razer Mamba does it, usually in the middle of a FPS game!), I'll try get it done this weekend.

Above was suggested to me by Scan who were as usual really friendly and helpful. It's just going to be a job and a half since I had already loaded up everything onto the PC so been putting it off, sorry.

Something's developed a small squeak but it's not all the time, it does get a bit rake-nails-against-the-board when working sometimes and it suddenly starts. Can't tell what exactly, might be one of the fans (blah, had problems with fans when I first got it I remember) - anyone know how to faultfind other than hold your head near? hopefully just a case of tightening the right screw or something. That said other than that, the fans are totally silent, the only noise is the pump:

Bit iffy about the XSPC Laing DDC-Pump 12V Ultra(18w) pump, wish it wasn't so vibratey, can hear it through wall in other room. The hum is as much as having a fan blowing anyway, so not sure whether watercooled was the right decision given that I wasn't going for WTFINSANE double 5870s or the very top end CPU, or overclocking - I thought it would be quieter, I've been told by friends the problem is it's mounted so close and I think that's probably right, even though it does have a "Laing DDC 4 Point Anti-Vibration Damping Kit" but not an expert on the hardware, first water cooled system. Anyone know if it would be better if I got it hanging by the tubing, read someone did that on another site and did a really good job at dampening apparently. I'm not sure how loud the pump is without the 4 point kit already on there, but I can only imagine how nice it would be to have it quiet since the fans can't be heard (still don't know what causes that occasional squeaking to start so reserving judgement)

Performance wise, it's nice, most games on maximum settings 1920x1440, however FPS does get a hit occasionally on some. On APB had to turn down lower to be able play it with 60fps (it was still playable on max, but not with the kind of response time you need to be able to give in a FPS game), but that game's development was a mess so probably not a good one to choose, can't run Crysis on max and be playable either. Think for some stuff you just really need double graphics cards if you want to run it on high resolution...
    Fallout 3, Fallen Earth, Mass Effect 2, Splinter Cell: Chaos Theory (been replaying as an alternative to the crime, pun not intended, that conviction is against stealth games), Prototype, Dead Space (apart from the low res textures as a result of them making it for consoles first, argh, lighting is amazing though), Left 4 Dead/2 (though lets face it 1 is better lol) - Beautiful. I'll post some screenshots when I get time, fine with Scan facebookstalking us but other than that want to use ones not put up elsewhere.
    Last edited by Perfectionist; 27-09-2010 at 10:18 PM.

Thanks

Finally decided enough is enough and biting the bullet and going to take the day to sort out the computer, reinstall Windows and see if it helps with the USB/razer mamba mouse dying issue!

Prob the main reason I took so long by the way is the G15 keyboard seemed to fix itself and stop needing the ~5-10min wait to 'activate' on bootup, so I wonder if that might have been a Windows 7 issue that has now been patched or something.

But yeah the mouse dying randomly is actually bugging me when trying to do work not just games so I'm gonna try fix it

... Argh, aquasuite help is all in German! Found the email from April last year of me asking about aquasuite with Ben tho, saying there should be "as far as I can remember you can save your profile in the Aquasuite and reimport it", I'm looking at it now, and there doesn't seem to be any profiles saved in aquasuite's "Profiles" tab, hmm. Nothing stored in Windows' AppData either, and C:\Program Files (x86)\Aqua Computer\aquasuite\ only has a bunch of DLLs, aquasuite.exe, SetClockService.exe, uninstall.exe and readme.txt, with a folder for firmware updates, help, icon and picture (the latter two seem to just be stuff used by the exe, I guess not stored as resources in the executables for easier editing)

... Edit... Nevermind, found it. I forgot about the quirk of Windows 7 x64 where it has some files for many programs stored in c:\program files (x86)\ whilst others are put in c:\programdata\, the hardware profiles are actually stored in C:\ProgramData\Aqua Computer\aquasuite\hardwareprofiles\, seems to have been one already loaded ('Black_Widow_Extreme.ProfAe4') but no profile made in the actual aquasuite profiles tab, just the settings it had aleady. Noticed the file there when I made a new profile and clicked Export!
    .. This may explain why when shutting down the system I've got 'do you want to save changes to your profile' popup a lot lately, I wonder if it messed itself up somehow actually. Anyway, I'll just use the file already there then rather than making a new export (actually, will make another just in case)

Oh a quick question, when I was looking at the aquasuite emails, I found my old reply to the reply:
    Thanks, is there any way on bootup to stop the JMicron splash screen being shown just after the bios stuff?

It says JMicron, info about the SSD, and "press any key to continue" which takes a few seconds before it times out and carries on booting. I'm pretty sure it's from the motherboard since the Intel G2 SSD has a Intel proprietary controller and I read that there's a JMicron one with the rampage motherboard
    (Replied on the 7 April 2010 to queries@scan.co.uk), I never got a reply to that for some reason? It's not a huge issue but without that unnecessary pause (there does not seem to be any option other than to load, which it does anyway after the pause?) for user interaction the booting would probably be a just a little faster.
    Last edited by Perfectionist; 20-04-2011 at 11:21 AM.

Thanks
    • Ben @ Scan's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Evga X58 Sli LE
      • CPU:
      • Memory:
      • Storage:
      • Graphics card(s):
      • Nvidia GTX 580
      • PSU:
      • Corsair 1000 Watt
      • Case:
      • Operating System:
      • Win 7 Pro 64 Bit
      • Monitor(s):
      • 27" Iiyama
      • Internet:
      • 50mb Virgin Media

Hi Perfectionist

I will look into the Jmicron issue tomorrow I have just emailed myself a reminder for when I get into work, sorry I missed that off the last support email we have been short staffed and been doing a lot of multi tasking

Regards

Ben

Thanks
    • Ben @ Scan's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Evga X58 Sli LE
      • CPU:
      • Memory:
      • Storage:
      • Graphics card(s):
      • Nvidia GTX 580
      • PSU:
      • Corsair 1000 Watt
      • Case:
      • Operating System:
      • Win 7 Pro 64 Bit
      • Monitor(s):
      • 27" Iiyama
      • Internet:
      • 50mb Virgin Media

Hi Perfectionist

I have looked in the Asus Rampage manual and in the onboard devices section you can turn the Jmicron controller off, however this also turns off the Esata ports but if you dont use these you will be fine

Make sure you re-save each profile to include this if you decide to change it

The easiest way is
    load Profile 1
    Change the Jmicron Controller to disabled
    Save the Profile 1(Type the name 3XS-Standard) exactly as here with no spaces
    Press Enter and goto Save as and Select Profile 1

Load Profile 2
    Change the Jmicron Controller to disabled
    Save the Profile 2 (Type the name 3XS-Overclock) as here again with no spaces
    Press Enter and goto Save as and Select Profile 2
    Save and exit the Bios

Regards

Ben

Thanks

3 years, oh dear, I did promise to give screenshots, I am absolutely a mess at keeping organised. To be fair I only recently learned of using ImageMagick (free and open source blabla) to make BAT commands to convert my literally thousands of FRAPS screenshots (I either have a good habit or a bad habit of spamming the screenshot button when cool things pop up, I haven't decided which but my caps folder is now approx 300 GB of PNGs, it was something horrible before converting the BMPs) from BMP into PNG... Before that I was using a photoshop batch which was a hell of a lot slower.

I also like the idea at least of PNGGauntlet which makes PNG pics smaller than Imagemagick/Photoshop without any loss of quality, but it takes a LONG time to compress, I think I'd only ever use that for pics that absolutely have to be smallest for distributing on a USB stick or commercial DVD etc. - but yeah, it's pretty cool how it can take sizes down a bit when Photoshop etc says it isn't possible.

ANYWAY...

Anno 2070

City of Villains / City of Heroes

Age of Conan

Dead Space 2

Fallen Earth

Deus Ex: Human Revolution

Last edited by Perfectionist; 07-01-2013 at 02:27 AM.

Thanks

(continuing from previous post cos I hit the 20 image limit)

Mass Effect 2
    (holy crap, I didn't realise how many times I must have hit the screen-cap key for FRAPS on this, you get some AMAZINGly great expressions sometimes ha, but like Dead Space, in screenshots it's even more noticable that the graphics are marred by "consolisation"... The "high" texture quality of pretty much anything except faces is actually pretty damn low even on max, it's a big shame when they could have just kept the full-quality art for the PC before resizing the texture sizes down so low to fit in a console's memory... EA seem to get companies doing this port crap quite often.)

Captain Wasea, Matriarch Aethyta, Liara, Tali, Aria

Samara + Morinth

Jack + Miranda

Urz the varren

Last edited by Perfectionist; 07-01-2013 at 02:26 AM.

Thanks

(continued)

Command & Conquer: Red Alert 3

Splinter Cell: Conviction

The Secret World
    Last edited by Perfectionist; 07-01-2013 at 04:45 AM.

Thanks

(continued)

Last edited by Perfectionist; 09-01-2013 at 12:08 PM.

Thanks

Ok, ALL the pictures went AWOL because I used imageshack and they've gradually started deleting pictures that aren't part of their paid service, ick. I noticed some going missing over time but I didn't think they'd actually just go on swathes of deletion rampages like this (when I signed up to their site years ago they had a promise that they'd never delete images from registered accounts).

I learned this lesson a while ago, but figured it's worth saying: DO NOT use imageshack, use imgur.com

I wanted to say though the new laptop is really nice, runs great, and is a lot quieter than I was worried it might be, it's really really good.
    I do notice the difference in colour on LCD compared to CRT though, if you put the default SCAN desktop up by a CRT side by side you can see that the LCD screen has a a sort of banding effect on the colours where it's meant to be a colour gradient ( lagom.nl/lcd-test/gradient.php ) but outside of static graphics like that it's not as noticable.

The PC however died a while ago (watercooling slowly evaporated then sprung a minor leak which made it into a sort of dried goo that can't even leak anymore, and the PC then started overheating I guess because the fans aren't enough when it doesn't have a fan on the CPU etc) but it seems a lot of hassle to send such a big computer back, I was wondering if it's possible to send empty boxes or something since it's hard to get hold of cardboard in the right shape (and BIG boxes) - that said, I'm not sure how out of date the CPU is now, I think I'd want to upgrade the graphics card for sure - and I'm not really sure about watercooling anymore, since along with the hassle of maintenance/sending it back if I had properly got it serviced, the big issue is that I thought watercooling would be quieter, but the pumps were quite loud and occasionally you'd get kind of radiator water gurgling even when it was new, I don't know how normal that is tho.

Thread Information