Thread: KV8 PRO MOTHERBOARD and Two graphics cards now not working: POST code definition #25

Thanks

KV8 PRO MOTHERBOARD and Two graphics cards now not working: POST code definition #25

Hi, all, my first post here, so please be kind if I get things wrong.

Two weeks ago I had the POST code definition #25, when I started up my PC, so I assumed it was my graphics card. I bought another, identical, card and it worked perfectly for one day. Today I turned on the PC and I get the same POST error of #25 as before and got nothing on my monitor. I have re-set the BIOS, the battery, the power etc and nothing changes. Can this motherboard have ruined two graphics cards? Is there a way to re-set everything to get the graphics card(s) to work again. I cannot understand why two cards should go down unless there is a fault with the board. Is there a way I can check for faults, please? What can I do now? I cannot afford to replace anymore graphics cards and I do not know what else I can do. All my HDD's work perfectly and there is nothing else wrong with the system. Is there a UK number I can call for help? I have never had anything go wrong with this board before and have always been extremely satisfied up to now. As a PS, I have managed to find a very old 64MB graphics card and it's working with the board, so at least I can look at the BIOS and I know it's not the graphics slot that's at fault.
    Please help. V

Thanks

Re: KV8 PRO MOTHERBOARD and Two graphics cards now not working: POST code definition

P.S. I now find that a new SATA II hard drive I bought for this motherboard/PC will not be recognised and cannot be used no matter if I update the drivers for both motherboard and/or Via/Raid. Does this motherboard not support SATA II HDD's, please? I am having so much trouble..........I hope some here can help me out?
    Cheers, V

Thanks

Re: KV8 PRO MOTHERBOARD and Two graphics cards now not working: POST code definition

you'll have to force your SATA II drive to SATA 1 mode - the VIA 8237 doesn't autonegotiate well with anything else.

MSI P55-GD80, i5 750
    abit A-S78H, Phenom 9750,

My HEXUS.trust abit forums

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by BUFF View Post
    you'll have to force your SATA II drive to SATA 1 mode - the VIA 8237 doesn't autonegotiate well with anything else.

Do you have a guide as to how I can do this, please? I know a little about computing, but that's it - a little. I am always learning, but there's a lot to learn, huh?
    Thanks for replying,
    V

Thanks

what HDD is it?
    How you force SATA I varies by make.

MSI P55-GD80, i5 750

Thanks

Hi, thanks for replying; my HDD is a Seagate ST31500341AS 1.5TB Hard Drive SATAII Barracuda. I went to Seagate and found that I have to add a jumper, I have done this, but my system/motherboard still will not recognise it. I put the same HDD into an external USB enclosure and it works from there, but I want it inside the machine and to run my entire system from it. I even tried to re-install Windows XP onto it, but the set-up tells me it can't find a hard drive to install to!! Any further help really appreciated.
    Cheers, V

Thanks

this your first time trying to use a SATA drive on it?
    is the SATA controller turned on in the BIOS?
    if so did you feed XP a driver for it?

MSI P55-GD80, i5 750

Thanks

Hi, Buff, I have put in the latest SATA RAID drivers and told the machine to recognise it in the BIOS. The RAID controller gives me the following when I try to make my sustem find the HDD: "The device cannot start (Code 10)" and the VIA RAID controller has a yellow apostrophe in it indicating there is a problem. I have uninstalled a re-installed the Contoller, but it still fails to recognise the HDD.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by venommous View Post
    Hi, Buff, I have put in the latest SATA RAID drivers and told the machine to recognise it in the BIOS.
    under onboard controller? (you'll have to excuse me but it's been a good few years since I used a KV8 Pro)
    The RAID controller gives me the following when I try to make my sustem find the HDD: "The device cannot start (Code 10)" and the VIA RAID controller has a yellow apostrophe in it indicating there is a problem. I have uninstalled a re-installed the Contoller, but it still fails to recognise the HDD.
    you obviously are running another OS already, presumably off an IDE HDD?

MSI P55-GD80, i5 750

Thanks

I am running XP from an IDE-connected HDD - my SATA 1 HDD functions happily alongside this - but when the new SATA II is connected the VIA RAID controller fails to recognise it. It will work via a USB and inside an enclosure as an external HDD, but I want to run Windows etc from it internally. Will I have to get a PCI SATA connector, or is there a better (less expensive) way, please?
    Cheers, V

And thank you for your continued help, Buff, much appreciated here.

Thanks

I wonder if it's the sheer size of that HDD possibly isn't supported?
    can you format it on another PC somewhere, split it say into 3 500Gb partitions & enable those as drives & then see if the KV8 will see the 500Gb "drives"?

MSI P55-GD80, i5 750

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by BUFF View Post
    I wonder if it's the sheer size of that HDD possibly isn't supported?
    can you format it on another PC somewhere, split it say into 3 500Gb partitions & enable those as drives & then see if the KV8 will see the 500Gb "drives"?
    Hi, this is exacttly what I've done - split the HDD into 50Gb and 2 more equal - but vey large - halves (thirds). I am nearly at the end of what I can do next, so I've bought a SATA 2/1 PCI card and maybe this will do the trick?

Thread Information