Thread: Abit AW9D-MAX - Big Problem

Thanks

Abit AW9D-MAX - Big Problem

Hi all,

I recently attempted to upgrade my CPU from an E6600 2.4ghz dual core to Q6700 2.66ghz quad core. I simply unplugged the PC and swapped the processors/heatsinks. Here's what happened:

- Windows loaded as normal and registered the new processor and 4 cores but then crashed after about 2 mins. I tried this a few times with the same result.
    - Looking in BIOS I noticed the temp of the new CPU was being registered at about 95 degrees so I stopped trying this!
    - Instead I reverted to E6600 processor (but with the new heatsink (which was the same as the old one anyway)) to see if heatsink was the issue. Everything worked perfectly.

So I decided to download latest BIOS version (aw9dv17) to see if this would help. This is where it all went very wrong:

- Booted the files in DOS from a bootable USB device and ran the update (runme.bat).
    - The update seemed to be successful (it completed).
    - It then automatically restarted the PC and froze at POST screen (cool new picture of a Samurai guy)
    - I tried this a few times with the same result.
    - Opened up and looked at the LED's on the motherboard while booting. Always froze at 56 on LED display (not a code listed in the ABIT manual or on the site). PC stays on but frozen.
    - I powered down and reset CMOS (moved jumper from 1/2 to 2/3 and back) for 5 mins + removed CMOS battery and also 3 sticks of Ram (I heard that can help). But it still freezes at 56 of POST.
    - The only acception is occasionally it will restart itself instead of freezing. If this happens it happens at code '52' of POST (or Samurai man).
    - I tried this a number of times and the latest development was that the PC literally started powering down of its own accord before the freeze even occurred
    - One thing I have noticed is if I TAB to the POST screen (instead of the not-so-cool-anymore Samurai guy) the CPU readings seem to change randomly. Once it said "2.40GHz (266x6.0, 1 CPUs)" and another time it said "2.40GHz (266x9.0, >3 CPU's). Another time It said "<10 CPUs". Weird.

Any ideas? Right now I don't care about the new processor, I'd just like my old PC running. Is there some other way to roll back to the old BIOS manually?

PC set up (running without a hitch since 2007, upgraded GPU and OS in 2011).

ABIT AW9D-MAX
    4x1G Crucial Ballistix DDR2 PC2-8500C5 1066MHz DC
    E6600 2.4ghz dual core
    EarthWatts 500W
    NVIDIA GTX 460 768MB
    2x SATA HDD
    Windows 7

Thanks

Re: Abit AW9D-MAX - Big Problem

Slight update.... Turns out the error code was 5b not 56. 5b means "show message for entering AWDFLASH.exe from FDD (if available)".

In POST I can see a message saying "press alt+F2 to enter AWDFLASH.exe" although it crashes or freezes before I can hit alt F2.

Does that sprout any new ideas?

Thanks
    • Lvcoyote's system
      • Motherboard:
      • EVGA X79 FTW
      • CPU:
      • Intel i7 3930K
      • Memory:
      • 4X4Gb G.SKill RipjawsZ DDR3 1866MHz
      • Storage:
      • OCZ Vertex 2 240Gb SSD
      • Graphics card(s):
      • @X GTX 560 Ti Classified Ultra SLI
      • PSU:
      • Corsair 850Watt Professtional Series
      • Case:
      • Corsair 700D W/Window Side Panel
      • Operating System:
      • Windows 7 Pro X64
      • Monitor(s):
      • eMachines & Hanns-G
      • Internet:
      • Onboard Marvell Yukon LAN

Quote Originally Posted by j_a_m_i_e123 View Post
    Slight update.... Turns out the error code was 5b not 56. 5b means "show message for entering AWDFLASH.exe from FDD (if available)".

In POST I can see a message saying "press alt+F2 to enter AWDFLASH.exe" although it crashes or freezes before I can hit alt F2.

Does that sprout any new ideas?
    Try a different video card
    http://forums.hexus.net/abit-care-he...ml#post2028618
    EVGA X79 FTW, i7 3930K @ 4.5ghz, 4X4Gb G.Skill RipjawsZ 1866MHz, 2X EVGA GTX560 Ti Classified Ultra SLI, Corsair700D W/Window Side Panel, Corsair HX850W, OCZ Vertex 2 240Gb SSD, Seagate 320gb SATA II, Plextor Blu-Ray Burner, Apogee XT CPU Water Block, Alphacool Laing DDC-Pump 12V Ultra Water Tank, Black Ice Extreme Radiator, Win 7 Pro x64

Lvcoyote's Blog Spot
    Heatware

Thanks

Thanks a lot for that link. Yes I think you're right... sounds like it's my GTX 460 conflicting with the updated Bios.

Have ordered an old DDR1 GFX card (radeon X300) so will see if I can POST with that and roll back to an older BIOS.

Then I just need to figure out if any way I can run both my 460 AND the q6700 at the same time on this mobo. Seems unlikely.

Thanks

Ok, so it POSTED first time when I put the old GFX card in - as expected it was a BIOS/GFX conflict on the aw9d_17 BIOS.

Interestingly, however, the CPU (E6600, 2.4ghz) was running at around 75c - 85c (factory default clock). So I rolled back to aw9d_16 and it POSTED fine with the GTX460 but cpu temp still up at 80c+. Only on aw9d_15 and below did the CPU run at usual 35c. It wasn't just a mis-reading as I could literally feel the heat coming off it. Weird.

Anyway. In summary you can't have a Q6xxx processor and a GTX460 on the ABIT AW9D-MAX motherboard simultaneously. The Q6xxx will only run on BIOS 17, and the GTX460 will only run on BIOS 16 or earlier.

Pants.

Anyone want to buy a (basically brand new) Q6700 + heatsink?
    Last edited by j_a_m_i_e123; 10-10-2012 at 11:31 AM.

Thanks
    • Bambooz's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Asus ROG Strix X470-F
      • CPU:
      • Ryzen 7 3700X + AnfiTec Drei
      • Memory:
      • 64GB Crucial Ballistix Sport LT (E-Die) DDR4-3200 @ 3600
      • Storage:
      • Samsung SM961 (= 960 Pro) 512GB NVMe (OS) + 2TB Micron 1300 (games) + 2x 8TB WD Red (cold storage)
      • Graphics card(s):
      • MSI Geforce GTX 1080 Gaming X 8GB (under EK Fullcover block)
      • PSU:
      • Seasonic Platinum Fanless 520W (SS-520FL2)
      • Case:
      • Fractal Design Arc XL
      • Operating System:
      • Win 10 LTSC 2019
      • Monitor(s):
      • Samsung S27D850T (27" 1440p) + 2x Samsung 2333T (23" 1080p)
      • Internet:
      • VDSL 100/40mbps

How about actually flashing the latest version, which is V18, not V17?

Link to my Abit FTP:
    ftp://91.121.194.115/pub/download/bi...nd%20aw9d-max/

As for the insane temps.. did you reset the CMOS after flashing? It might default to a ridiculously high VCore due to a bug or something..

edit: BTW.. even with that Q6700 in there, you'll be CPU limited. The GTX460 is just a tad slower than the HD6870 I've got, and I definitely know I'm CPU limited, even with my overclocked Q6600 (system specs thingy on the left)

Thanks

Oh cool, where did you get this BIOS v.18? It says it improves E0 stepping... my Q6700 is G0 stepping so not sure it will help with that?

It's not on the old ABIT site! You sure its safe?

I'll give it a crack tonight anyway. You never know. I suspect it won't like the GTX 460.

Re: cpu limiting... yea I figured I would still be. But slightly less so hopefully!

Cheers

Thread Information