Heres an interesting problem.
WINDOWS VISTA ULTIMATE EDITION 32 BIT with all service packs.
ECS 945G-M3 motherboard with Intel Viiv 3.4ghz Dual core cpu.
600w artic power supply
3O0 GB MAXTOR SATA DRIVE
I just bought an apple 30" cinema display and connected it to my PC.
I set the resolution to whatever setting I would like but on a BLACK background it is noticable that there is some sort of interference causing random coloured pixels to appear at intervals over the screen. Even when the display is scaled at a size which is smaller than the entire display area this interference occurs.
The interference only seems to occur when there is activity on the display i.e moving around a small window or just typing in word causes this but the problem is more apparent when running the display at its highest resolution 2560 x 1600 32bit colour 60hz
Heres what I've tried to resolve the problem:
1. MOVED THE DISPLAY AND CABLE AWAY FROM ANY POSSIBLE SOURCES OF INTERFERENCE
2. DISCONNECTED BOTH CASE FAN AND CPU FAN
3. REMOVED BOTH A PCI TV TUNER AND ALSO A PCI WIRELESS NETWORK CARD
4. DISCONNECTED POWER TO HARD DISK
5. REPLACED THE POWER SUPPLY WITH A 600W ONE
6. CONNECTED THE SCREEN TO A MAINS FILTER
7. FITTED A NEW GRAPHICS CARD - ATI RADEON X1650 PRO
8. REPLACED THE GRAPHICS CARD - ATI RADEON X1650 PRO WITH AN IDENTICAL CARD
9. REPLACED THE GRAPHICS CARD WITH AN ALTERNATIVE ATI RADEON X1950 PRO
9. UPDATED THE MOTHERBOARD BIOS FROM THE MANUFACTURERS WEBSITE
10.USED THE LATEST VERSION OF THE VISTA DRIVERS & CATALYST CONTROL CENTRE FROM THE ATI WEBSITE
11.TRIED USING THE MONITOR DRIVER FOR THE HEWETT PACKARD LP3065 (I believe this uses the same technology as the apple screen as LG electronics also make the 23" apple display and the HP L2335 (now discontinued))
12.INSTALLED ACDWIN FROM THE SOURCEFORGE SITE
13.CONNECTED THE DISPLAY TO THE OTHER DVI PORT ON THE CARD
14.TRIED TWEAKING THE ATI OVERDRIVE SETTINGS
I am really puzzled by this fault, it doesn't occur when the display is connected to an apple powerbook at it's native resolution 2560 x 1600 and I note that several graphics cards later i'm still having problems.
I SUSPECT THIS PROBLEM IS
A.) MOTHERBOARD RELATED THOUGH MY PCI-E SLOT DOES MEET ALL THE REQUIREMENTS WHICH ATI STATE I NEED AND THE MACHINE RAN WITH A LOWER SPEC ATI X1300 CARD PREVIOUSLY WITHOUT ANY PROBLEMS
B.) THERE IS AN ISSUE WITH WINDOWS VISTA
C.) ATI HAS A HARDWARE ISSUE WITH THEIR CARDS OR DRIVERS
This is really giving me a headache and after speaking to various places it has been recommended that I purchase an NVIDIA GEFORCE 8800 but I can't see this resolving the problem and theres a lot of issues with this card and vista at the moment according to various websites.
If anyone can assist I would be gratedful.