7 8.75%
  • 4" to 4.7"

40 50.00%
  • 4.7" to 5.5"

31 38.75%
  • HELLO. YEAH I'M THE LIBRARY

2 2.50%
Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: [Poll] Are bigger smartphones and phablets appealing to you?

Thanks
    • mikeo01's system
      • Motherboard:
      • MSI B85i Gaming
      • CPU:
      • Intel Xeon 1230V3
      • Memory:
      • G.Skill RipJaws 2133MHZ
      • Storage:
      • Plextor M5S 128GB
      • Graphics card(s):
      • VTX3D R9 290
      • PSU:
      • Coolermaster VS450
      • Case:
      • Corsair 250D
      • Operating System:
      • Windows 8 PRO, Ubuntu
      • Monitor(s):
      • LG 22" W2261VP

Re: [Poll] Are bigger smartphones and phablets appealing to you?

Problem is, everything is trying to be like something else. A tablet and smartphone is trying to be more computer-like, whilst Google glass and Smartwatches are trying to be like phones. Besides, even more devices to bleeding beep at me!

When will it end? Useless drool that is apparently "a useful feature" in my opinion. A big screen nets you readably and usability, however, if you are using your smartphone and are noticing things are harder to read maybe you should just use a laptop or a computer?

If your tablet doesn't have clarity or isn't very fast then again, a laptop/computer?

I'd use my smartphone solely to receive SMS and calls. Why should I want a device that tries and mimics your bog standard laptop? Why would I want my device to be able to do the tasks in my working life? Heck I wouldn't want to be closer to a working life in my non-working spare time.

Besides, if I am walking around and doing activities I will be constantly worrying about my great hunk of a phone dropping and smashing, or snapping every time I sit down, getting stolen, or simply accidentally throwing it when I get it out
    "If at first you don't succeed; call it version 1.0" ||| "I'm not interrupting you, I'm putting our conversation in full-duplex mode" ||| "The problem with UDP joke: I don't get half of them"
    "I’d tell you the one about the CIDR block, but you’re too classy" ||| "There’s no place like 127.0.0.1" ||| "I made an NTP joke once. The timing was perfect."
    "In high society, TCP is more welcome than UDP. At least it knows a proper handshake."

Thanks
    • adidan's system
      • Motherboard:
      • MSI B450M Mortar Max
      • CPU:
      • R5 3600
      • Memory:
      • 32Gb 3200Mhz Crucial Ballistix Sport
      • Storage:
      • Corsair MP510 m.2 480Gb / 2xCrucial M500 1Tb0
      • Graphics card(s):
      • Zotac GTX1080 Mini
      • PSU:
      • 750W EVGA G3
      • Case:
      • CM NR400 Noctua Redux filled
      • Operating System:
      • W10 64 Bit
      • Monitor(s):
      • 27" 1440p Iiyama XUB2792QSU

A phone, laptop and PC suit my needs.

Tablets are ok but I can't really see the point of them for me, a phone is ok for browsing or taking photos, a laptop for travel gaming and a PC for anything more involved.

Watching people take photos or film on a tablet just looks daft.
    Grab that. Get that. Check it out. Bring that here. Grab anything useful. Take anything good.

Admin (Ret'd)
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by adidan View Post
    A phone, laptop and PC suit my needs.

Tablets are ok but I can't really see the point of them for me, a phone is ok for browsing or taking photos, a laptop for travel gaming and a PC for anything more involved.

Watching people take photos or film on a tablet just looks daft.
    It all depends what we each want a device for. Personally, I find a tablet very useful around the home, not least for instant net access, whenever and wherever I want it, be it sitting in the lounge, laying in bed, roosting on the loo or sipping a cold one in the garden. It's far more convenient for that than a laptop. For me.

A phone, on the other hand, all I really need is to make and receive calls, and have a dozen or so numbers in memory. I don't even need (or want) text capability, never mind mobile internet. That might very occasionally be useful, but not often enough that I've yet had the need for a smartphone.

Laptop and desktop(s) are, for me, essential.

Maybe I'll end up with a smartphone, if anything ever addresses some privacy concerns and critically IF I ever find a tariff that works for very light, and extremely sporadic data usage. So far, I haven't, not least because I'm not prepared to pay a monthly fee for a data allowance I likely won't use, most months.

Thanks
    • DanceswithUnix's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Asus X470-PRO
      • CPU:
      • 5900X
      • Memory:
      • 32GB 3200MHz ECC
      • Storage:
      • 2TB Linux, 2TB Games (Win 10)
      • Graphics card(s):
      • Asus Strix RX Vega 56
      • PSU:
      • 650W Corsair TX
      • Case:
      • Antec 300
      • Operating System:
      • Fedora 39 + Win 10 Pro 64 (yuk)
      • Monitor(s):
      • Benq XL2730Z 1440p + Iiyama 27" 1440p
      • Internet:
      • Zen 900Mb/900Mb (CityFibre FttP)

Quote Originally Posted by Saracen View Post
    Maybe I'll end up with a smartphone, if anything ever addresses some privacy concerns and critically IF I ever find a tariff that works for very light, and extremely sporadic data usage. So far, I haven't, not least because I'm not prepared to pay a monthly fee for a data allowance I likely won't use, most months.
    Do you call out a lot? Three do a pay as you go sim which is 1p per MB, I was looking to move my daughter to it.

Privacy concerns are harder, Android is spooky. Useful, but spooky.

Thanks
    • adidan's system
      • Motherboard:
      • MSI B450M Mortar Max
      • CPU:
      • R5 3600
      • Memory:
      • Storage:
      • Graphics card(s):
      • Zotac GTX1080 Mini
      • PSU:
      • 750W EVGA G3
      • Case:
      • Operating System:
      • W10 64 Bit
      • Monitor(s):

IF I ever find a tariff that works for very light, and extremely sporadic data usage. So far, I haven't, not least because I'm not prepared to pay a monthly fee for a data allowance I likely won't use, most months.
    I use wifi on mine most of the time, the only time I use my half a gig of data is when I'm out and about.

I have a SIM only pay monthly deal from 3 for £7 a month - 200 minutes, unlimited texts and 500mb data - all of which you can use for free if you go abroad to quite a few countries now (eg, I go to Finland every year and Austria sometimes and I get to use my free allowance rather than pay for anything).

I guess it's all horses for courses at the end of the day.

I hear what you're saying about tablets, I guess as we have a pc down here too then I've not seen the need. Moving though and I won't be taking this old kit with me so I may very well change my views on a tablet although I imagine there'll be a laptop set up in the next place. Not sure on that one yet.
    Grab that. Get that. Check it out. Bring that here. Grab anything useful. Take anything good.

Admin (Ret'd)
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by DanceswithUnix View Post
    Do you call out a lot? Three do a pay as you go sim which is 1p per MB, I was looking to move my daughter to it.

Privacy concerns are harder, Android is spooky. Useful, but spooky.
    Don't use my existing (idiot) phone much at all. It's only on when I'm out, and often, not even then. And I rarely make outgoing calls.

Put it this way. When I bought it, for £5, it came with £1 of call credit. I've added a further £10. Still got some left, though not much. And it bought it in 2007.

So, cost of phone including call charges is just under £15, over some 7 years, or about £2/year.

One issue with many current SIM deals is they're effectively a rolling 30-day contract, with use-it-or-lose-allowances, especially on data, and that's no use to me. I don't mind paying for a data allowance, even at a premium rate if it's PAYG, but NOT if it expires after a brief time. If I go away for a trip, I might use it while away, but then I might not use it at all for weeks, maybe even months.

Thanks
    • adidan's system
      • Motherboard:
      • MSI B450M Mortar Max
      • CPU:
      • R5 3600
      • Memory:
      • Storage:
      • Graphics card(s):
      • Zotac GTX1080 Mini
      • PSU:
      • 750W EVGA G3
      • Case:
      • Operating System:
      • W10 64 Bit
      • Monitor(s):

Put it this way. When I bought it, for £5, it came with £1 of call credit. I've added a further £10. Still got some left, though not much. And it bought it in 2007.
    And I thought I was a light user

Thanks

The 5 inch screen on my S4 seems perfect to me. Having said that, I have sausage fingers so the screens on the mini smartphones drive me mad , that and the lack of real estate when browsing.

I think a phone much bigger than the S4 would be too cumbersome to carry about all day though.

Thanks
      • Motherboard:
      • Asus X470-PRO
      • CPU:
      • 5900X
      • Memory:
      • 32GB 3200MHz ECC
      • Storage:
      • Graphics card(s):
      • Asus Strix RX Vega 56
      • PSU:
      • 650W Corsair TX
      • Case:
      • Antec 300
      • Operating System:
      • Monitor(s):
      • Internet:

If I go away for a trip, I might use it while away, but then I might not use it at all for weeks, maybe even months.
    I used to be the same until I got a smartphone. I got a contract to cover the data usage, and that gives me unlimited text messages so I now use them quite a lot.

Someone I work with just got his first smartphone, cheap one from Tesco. If he hadn't lost his old Nokia he wouldn't have bothered, so sounds much like you.

I think he turns off mobile data and location services which is good enough for him on privacy and gets the running costs down to the same as his old feature phone. He has WiFi at home and work, so basic smart features still work.

Edit to add: 1p per MB seems pretty good. My contract allows 1GB and costs £11 per month. I usually get through about 300MB, so £3 worth. That includes using the phone as a satnav, browsing BBC news when waiting for take away food, checking traffic conditions when setting off somewhere so it isn't that light a use.

One issue with many current SIM deals is they're effectively a rolling 30-day contract, with use-it-or-lose-allowances, especially on data, and that's no use to me. I don't mind paying for a data allowance, even at a premium rate if it's PAYG, but NOT if it expires after a brief time.
    Hmm, that had me checking the small print. My free SIM ordered off their website eventually arrived, not tried it yet though. They claim here that topups don't expire:

http://www.three.co.uk/support/top_u..._paygp_stc1635
    Last edited by DanceswithUnix; 10-09-2014 at 02:37 PM.

Thanks
    • scaryjim's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Dell Inspiron
      • CPU:
      • Core i5 8250U
      • Memory:
      • 2x 4GB DDR4 2666
      • Storage:
      • 128GB M.2 SSD + 1TB HDD
      • Graphics card(s):
      • Radeon R5 230
      • PSU:
      • Battery/Dell brick
      • Case:
      • Dell Inspiron 5570
      • Operating System:
      • Windows 10
      • Monitor(s):
      • 15" 1080p laptop panel

... Three do a pay as you go sim which is 1p per MB, I was looking to move my daughter to it. ...
    ... One issue with many current SIM deals is they're effectively a rolling 30-day contract, with use-it-or-lose-allowances ...
    I've just persuaded my stepson to move to Three's PAYG, and I'll be shifting to it very shortly indeed (once I've got round to getting my PAC off Talkmobile!). If you get it in store they'll deserately try to sell it to you as needing to buy packages to get lots of free stuff, to the extent that my stepson actually rang me from the 3 shop because he thought he was asking for the wrong thing (and apparently the staff look disgusted if you tell them you have no intention of buying the packages ever). but you certainly don't need to, and it's by far the cheapest PAYG deal available at the minute (3p/minute, 2p/text, 1p/MB).

As far as smartphones go, I'm not convinced you can do much better in terms of privacy than going with Blackberry. I can't praise the Q5 enough (but then I did get mine very cheap). Or perhaps, if any get released, a Firefox OS phone would do the job...

Admin (Ret'd)
    Thanks

That 3p/2p/1p PAYG deal sounds good, IF it's on a basic PAYG SIM, with me essentially putting in £x topup, and it expires when used, not when it times out.

If I get a smartphone, a large part of the 'why' would be for data usage when away from home. We regularly go away for a weekend, and it ends up longer. You might remember I recently disappeared offline for weeks. That's 'cos we went for a weekend, and stayed over a month. We've done that, though not for quite that long, three times this year.

My costs would, therefore, go up from current levels if I got one, but probably not hugely, and only for data. I neither expect, nor want mobile phone calls, to or from, to go up. I don't want to be pestered all the time, so friends and family know it's really for urgent calls only, and nobody else gets the mobile number. And I simply don't do texts. Never send them, and if ANYONE (except the mobile provider with service messages) sends me one, it won't get read.

So my usage would be, at most, light internet usage, and very light telephone usage.

Which leads to the next question .... given that light usage, is it even worth the capital cost of a decent budget phone, like MotoG? I'm not yet convinced.

Thanks
    • mikeo01's system
      • Motherboard:
      • MSI B85i Gaming
      • CPU:
      • Intel Xeon 1230V3
      • Memory:
      • G.Skill RipJaws 2133MHZ
      • Storage:
      • Plextor M5S 128GB
      • Graphics card(s):
      • VTX3D R9 290
      • PSU:
      • Coolermaster VS450
      • Case:
      • Corsair 250D
      • Operating System:
      • Windows 8 PRO, Ubuntu
      • Monitor(s):
      • LG 22" W2261VP

And then Apple will charge £539-£789 for their new phone, [source]. That price for a phone makes me sick in the stomach.

A price of a PC/Server that'll funnily enough do more.

Devices like these are quite simply rip offs, eating at people. Easy money really if you think about it.
    "If at first you don't succeed; call it version 1.0" ||| "I'm not interrupting you, I'm putting our conversation in full-duplex mode" ||| "The problem with UDP joke: I don't get half of them"
    "I’d tell you the one about the CIDR block, but you’re too classy" ||| "There’s no place like 127.0.0.1" ||| "I made an NTP joke once. The timing was perfect."
    "In high society, TCP is more welcome than UDP. At least it knows a proper handshake."

Thanks
      • Motherboard:
      • Asus X470-PRO
      • CPU:
      • 5900X
      • Memory:
      • 32GB 3200MHz ECC
      • Storage:
      • Graphics card(s):
      • Asus Strix RX Vega 56
      • PSU:
      • 650W Corsair TX
      • Case:
      • Antec 300
      • Operating System:
      • Monitor(s):
      • Internet:

Which leads to the next question .... given that light usage, is it even worth the capital cost of a decent budget phone, like MotoG? I'm not yet convinced.
    Only you can decide on that

Personally I wouldn't want to give it up. Had a crown fall off on my recent holiday. Selecting home screen and saying "OK Google, find a local dentist" got me an easy start in what was pretty stressful situation.

My daughter wanted some medicine from the chemist, it showed us where the nearest was and how long it would take to walk there.

If I am lost, Google Maps says where I am.

My car stereo plays music from the phone over bluetooth.

So nothing that I couldn't have done 20 years ago by going and asking someone, popping into a shop and buying a map, or having a stack of CDs in the car, but overall I like it.

I would say don't sign up for Google Now though. It works for me, but I get the impression you would find the way it starts logging everything you do abhorrent! It is opt-in though.

My son has a Moto-E which is £80 on a paygo deal, I can certainly recommend that. Frankly it has most of the usability of my HTC One X that cost a fortune a couple of years ago. Some of the cheap phones are horrid, do try before you buy.

Thanks
    • MrRockliffe's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Z270i Strix
      • CPU:
      • i7 6700K
      • Memory:
      • 16GB DDR4 Vengeance
      • Storage:
      • 500GB 850 Evo, 500GB 860 EVO
      • Graphics card(s):
      • MSI GTX 1070 Ti Gaming
      • PSU:
      • 550W Supernova G2
      • Case:
      • NZXT H200
      • Operating System:
      • Windows 10
      • Monitor(s):
      • Asus PB278Q
      • Internet:
      • Hyperoptic 150Mb

My Z1 broke recently, and it was starting to feel a little cumbersome. However, I've switched to an Xperia T and even though it's a smaller screen, I still have to shift it up and down my hand (what I had to do with the Z1) so basically it's not made it easier, plus it's smaller.

Media consumption is miles better on the Z1 (Even with the terrible TN panel - damn you Sony) and I miss it sosososososososososo much. Such a lovely phone now that I've gone 'back to basics', so to speak.

Thanks
    • directhex's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Asus ROG Strix B550-I Gaming
      • CPU:
      • Ryzen 5900x
      • Memory:
      • 64GB G.Skill Trident Z RGB
      • Storage:
      • 2TB Seagate Firecuda 520
      • Graphics card(s):
      • EVGA GeForce RTX 3080 XC3 Ultra
      • PSU:
      • EVGA SuperNOVA 850W G3
      • Case:
      • NZXT H210i
      • Operating System:
      • Ubuntu 20.04, Windows 10
      • Monitor(s):
      • LG 34GN850
      • Internet:
      • FIOS

Quote Originally Posted by mikeo01 View Post
    And then Apple will charge £539-£789 for their new phone, [source]. That price for a phone makes me sick in the stomach.

A price of a PC/Server that'll funnily enough do more.

Devices like these are quite simply rip offs, eating at people. Easy money really if you think about it.
    It basically *is* a PC. The performance of the CPU is about in line with an i3-3217U

Admin (Ret'd)
    Thanks

Only you can decide on that

Personally I wouldn't want to give it up. Had a crown fall off on my recent holiday. Selecting home screen and saying "OK Google, find a local dentist" got me an easy start in what was pretty stressful situation.

My daughter wanted some medicine from the chemist, it showed us where the nearest was and how long it would take to walk there.

If I am lost, Google Maps says where I am.

My car stereo plays music from the phone over bluetooth.

So nothing that I couldn't have done 20 years ago by going and asking someone, popping into a shop and buying a map, or having a stack of CDs in the car, but overall I like it.

I would say don't sign up for Google Now though. It works for me, but I get the impression you would find the way it starts logging everything you do abhorrent! It is opt-in though.

My son has a Moto-E which is £80 on a paygo deal, I can certainly recommend that. Frankly it has most of the usability of my HTC One X that cost a fortune a couple of years ago. Some of the cheap phones are horrid, do try before you buy.
    Oh, GoogleNow is an absolute non-starter for me. Few things would give me greater pleasure than the certainty that Google knows NOTHING about me, not even that I exist. As far as I'm concerned, their entire raison d'etre is serving targeted ads, and I don't want targeted ads, from anybody, about anything, ever. I don't particularly want ads at all, but being tracked, profiled and targeted offends me deeply. So there are no circumstances between now and the end of the Universe that I will knowingly and willingly give Google ANY information about myself. I hold them in utter contempt.

17. Received thanks from:

Apex (07-10-2014)

Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread Information