Antec Home Antec Info Antec products Where to buy Antec support Antec enclosures Antec PSUs Antec media components Antec accessories Antec cooling Antec 80 PLUS products

Thread: Antec P280 false advertising

Thanks

Antec P280 false advertising

Hello,

I just bought a new Antec P280 case and I am very upset and disappointed with it. Because I work in the IT business, over the years I installed quite a few systems in different cases. My favorite brand so far was Antec due to the fact that you could rely on a good choice of materials, thick steel and overall quality of their products. I own an Antec NSK 4000, Antec P182 and one P280.

Both the NSK and P182 are made from 0.8mm steel, which I cannot say about the P280, which is noticeably thinner. It is so much thinner that it can be felt with a single touch, but I had to use a measuring tool and confirm this as I could not believe it. The P280 box mentions that one of the P280 main points is the 0.8mm steel, which is FALSE!
    The P280 is not worthy of the P series, it is an insult to all the people who spend money for a somewhat premium case, and instead receive a bad joke.

First of all, the steel is thinner, even if the box says otherwise and there are several other things that disappoint.

Compared to the P182 case, which I owned as my main system case for more than 4 years, I have the following to say about the new P280:

The steel is thinner -> THE BOX IS A LIE!
    Sound dampening material is used only on the side panels and the door. None on the top or bottom, parts of the case, which due to the thinner steel now sound and flex like cheap Delux cases.
    The silicone feet are similar to some I have seen used on cheap Nox cases, with only a thin strip of silicone on the bottom, the rest being hard plastic, as opposed to the full silicone ones used on the P182.
    Even the screws used are like those used on cheap Chinese no-name cases, but let's say that those are not that important, as long as they get the job done.
    The paint finish on the case is greatly inferior to what I have been used to in the past. It just feels like a simple spray paint.
    There is no foam or silicone dampening or protection for the PSU, as opposed to the P182 which offered silicone strips and even a steel enclosure to secure the PSU.
    Another problem is the fact that on the internet, more specifically on Youtube, we can find several unboxing reviews in which we see a different type of case. Those cases come with lockable PSU filters, which is no longer the case with the P280 that I received.

All these make the case much louder than the P182, the side panels are not properly fixed and rattle a little when tapped on. This was a great disappointment for me.

I hope that someone from Antec will read this and understand that I am not attacking them. Over the years I got used to a certain level of quality and now, after paying almost 150 euros for a case, I received an inferior product with false specifications.

Thanks

Re: Antec P280 false advertising

Today I have sent the case back to the store due to a problem with one of the USB 3.0 ports which only worked in USB 2.0 mode (reported "unknown device" or "format the disk" when I connected an USB 3.0 device), and also the rear fan made a distinct noise than those on the top. I also asked them to forward my question about the steel thickness to Antec.

Thanks

I am still waiting for an answer in regard to the steel thickness on the P280. Is there anybody from Antec who can answer my question? Is there a problem with counterfeit/fake cases? Is it a mistake of the Antec marketing department? Have changes been made to the official case schematics sent initially for review?

Thanks

11 days and no answer. Great!

Seriously casual gamer KeyboardDemon's Avatar
    Thanks
    • KeyboardDemon's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Asus Sabretooth Z77
      • CPU:
      • i7 3770k + Corsair H80 (Refurbed)
      • Memory:
      • 16gb (4x4gb) Corsair Vengence Red (1866mhz) - (Because it looks good in a black mobo)
      • Storage:
      • Crucial M550 SSD 1TB + 2x 500GB Seagate HDDs
      • Graphics card(s):
      • EVGA GTX 980 SC ACX 2.0 (Warranty replacement for 780Ti SC ACX)
      • PSU:
      • EVGA 750 watt SuperNova G2
      • Case:
      • Silverstone RV03
      • Operating System:
      • Windows 10 Pro 64 Bit
      • Monitor(s):
      • Asus Swift PG278Q
      • Internet:
      • BT Infinity (40mbs dl/10mbs ul)

What store did you get it from? Have they responded to your concerns regarding build quality and faulty USB 3.0 connectors?

JamesIT

Id send it back and get a full refund! Get a Haf X, AMAZING cases!

Thanks

@KeyboardDemon - The store is one of the most important sellers in my country, it is unlikely that the store sold me a fake Antec case and if that were the case, I would expect Antec to take interest in this. Since they have not even bothered to reply, I am certain that this is their fault. They lied about the case and that is that. My case will be replaced with a new one and if that isn't ok (functional) I will return it again and I will go for a different model (Corsair 550D, CM Silencio 650, Nanoxia Deep Silence, Fractal Define R4).
    @JamesIT I appreciate the suggestion, but that case is not what I am looking for. I wanted a solid, silent and simple looking case and since I owned a P182, the P280 seemed like a great idea.

This will be my last Antec product.

Thanks
    • KeyboardDemon's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Asus Sabretooth Z77
      • CPU:
      • Memory:
      • 16gb (4x4gb) Corsair Vengence Red (1866mhz) - (Because it looks good in a black mobo)
      • Storage:
      • Graphics card(s):
      • PSU:
      • Case:
      • Silverstone RV03
      • Operating System:
      • Windows 10 Pro 64 Bit
      • Monitor(s):
      • Asus Swift PG278Q
      • Internet:
    Quote Originally Posted by Heatseeker View Post
    it is unlikely that the store sold me a fake Antec case
    That was my first thought, the P280 is the first Antec case that I have liked, having seen quite a few Antec cases in shows and stores I have always appreciated their build quality, it's a little disappointing to find the first Antec case I find that I like does meet with their usual high standards. I hope it was a one off and your replacement is better.

Thanks

Thank you. What I still do not understand... if this is Antec care, why haven't they said anything. The least they could do is change the writing on the box.

Thanks

Just got the second case, the replacement to the first P280. After spending 4 hours on WM and making it just perfect... I discover that all the usb ports work, but the front audio connectors are malfunctioning, more exactly, the microphone port does not work. After another 30 mins taking it appart and packaging the case back again and 30 mins installing my components back in the NSK 4000 case, I can safely say that quality control is no longer something Antec is concerned about. There are also 3 stains on the right side panel, but they are around the holes for the thumbscrews and the other is on the inside... still... malfunctioning microphone, paint stains. Great job Antec. I'm going to return this case also...

Thanks
    • KeyboardDemon's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Asus Sabretooth Z77
      • CPU:
      • Memory:
      • Storage:
      • Graphics card(s):
      • PSU:
      • Case:
      • Silverstone RV03
      • Operating System:
      • Windows 10 Pro 64 Bit
      • Monitor(s):
      • Asus Swift PG278Q
      • Internet:

Quote Originally Posted by Heatseeker View Post
    Thank you. What I still do not understand... if this is Antec care, why haven't they said anything. The least they could do is change the writing on the box.
    I think you might have the wrong idea about this section of the forums. I know it says Antec.care@Hexus in the title, but read through the FAQs, like this one for enclosures and you will see this is more like a pre-sales help desk. For customer service issues you might be better off talking to Antec's customer support department directly.

Thanks

Hi Heatseeker,

I'm sorry that you're not happy with the case. You may contact us directly and we'll work with you to find a solution. We value our customers and do our best to rectify the situation. You can email us at VIP@antec.com or call our toll free line at 800-222-6832.

Thanks

Thanks

Thanks KeyboardDemon. I am sorry for not reading the entire FAQs, but I was hoping that a forum would mean quicker interaction with a representative, as I already sent an e-mail to antec, but received no reply.

I have sent an e-mail to Antec and I am hoping that this will get solved as soon as possible.

Thread Information