Page 1 of 5 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Office 2003 - Cannot Activate or Register

Registered+
    Thanks

Thumbs up Office 2003 - Cannot Activate or Register

Hi

I bought a new Mesh PC last week. From opening the box I wasn't able to activate Office 2003, as clicking on Help/Activate didn't do anything. This didn't seem to matter as it all worked OK, that is until yesterday when it went into "reduced funtionality" mode. From looking at the Microsoft website it appears this happens after 50 launches.

I actually own a copy of Office 2003 S&T Edition, so I wanted to activate the 'Mesh' office, and then convert the trial to my full copy. But not only can't I activate it, there's no way of registering it either.

I'd also installed Access 2003 which I own separately. Cos I can't activate that either, that's locked me into reduced mode too.

I sent an online help request to Mesh yesterday but haven't had a reply, so I thought I'd post here too.

I've also tried Microsoft. When I rang the activation line (0800 018 8354) they told me to ring the technical support line (0870 0601 0100). Yes, you've guessed it - when I rang the latter they told me they couldn't help and to ring the former! So no joy there then.

Since I've bought my PC from Mesh it's really Mesh that should sort it out anyway. So please can someone help me? I use Office all the time and it's a real pain not having it, I'm losing productivity big time.

Regards

Rob F

Thanks
    Hi Rushey Platt

The problem here is the trial will conflict with the full version of office. What you need to do is use system restore to go back to before you installed any of your office components. (just uninstalling the office trial and software will not work). Then uninstall the office trial from Add/ Remove programs, Restart the PC and install your office software.

Using System Restore.
    1. Click Start.
    2. Point to All Programs.
    3. Point to Accessories.
    4. Point to System Tools.
    5. Click System Restore.
    6. Follow the instructions on the wizard to restore to an earlier time.

Phil.

Registered+
    Thanks
    I've also had an email from Mesh promising to send me an Office cleanup file. I'll wait for that and give it a go, and if not try your suggestion.

Thanks

Rob F

Registered+
    Thanks
    Right - the promised file arrived by email and I did what Mesh suggested.

I uninstalled Office, rebooted, ran the cleanup file again, rebooted again and reinstalled my own copy of Office.

However, I am in exactly the same boat as before - all my Office applications are still in "reduced functionality" mode, and none of the "Activate Product" links work.

So I am no further forward than before. What should I do next, please?

Rob F

Thanks
    Hi Rushey Platt

Can only suggest you try this

The problem here is the trial will conflict with the full version of office. What you need to do is use system restore to go back to before you installed any of your office components. (just uninstalling the office trial and software will not work). Then uninstall the office trial from Add/ Remove programs, Restart the PC and install your office software.

Using System Restore.
    1. Click Start.
    2. Point to All Programs.
    3. Point to Accessories.
    4. Point to System Tools.
    5. Click System Restore.
    6. Follow the instructions on the wizard to restore to an earlier time.

Registered+
    Thanks
    Well, I tried this but the computer wouldn't let me.

The restore ran and the PC rebooted, but I then got a message saying "Incomplete Restore" telling me that no changes have been made.

So what's next? The Recovery Disk, perhaps?

Rob F

Registered+
    Thanks
    I was rather hoping someone from Mesh would answer my last query.

Rob F

MESH Computers Group
    Thanks
    Hi Rushey Platt,

Sorry about the delay in responding. We have been tinkering with a system here and examining certains files related to office products in a bid to resolve the issue.

The system restore was meant to restore everything to the way it was before and as you have no valid restore point this won't work.

The main problem is that although the office trial and office suite are the same product they have a couple of differing files and use the same location to store the import ones. When one is removed the other cannot be removed as it is then missing some files.

It might become necessary to re-install Windows using the recvoery CD but I'd like you to try something else first.

Firstly install which ever Office components that you have installed yourself, e.g. Access 2003.

Then un-install it.

Then you install the trial from the Works 8 CD that we provided. Then uninstall it completely.

The point of this is that each install should replace any missing files into their respective places so that the uninstallation will find them correctly and allow uninstallation.

If you could try this and post your results hopefully this will resolve the issue and mean no need to re-install from the recovery CD.

Registered+
    Thanks
    Thanks Davey, I will try your idea this evening.

Should I install "my" Office last of all, to see if it works?

Rob F
    Last edited by Rushey Platt; 17-10-2005 at 05:53 PM.

Registered+
    Thanks
    Davey

I did as you said in this order

1. Installed Access 2003
    2. Uninstalled Access 2003
    3. Installed Works + trial (though the trial did not install and I wasn't given an option to install it)
    4. Uninstalled trial

Then I did 5. Install my Office 2003. Sadly my Office 2003 is still in reduced functionality mode, and none of the Tools/Activate Product menus work.

Rob F

Thanks
    Sounds like a job for the 'Thames Valley Squad' - maybe they can help

I kept 6 trusted serving men, they taught me all I knew.
    There names were what and where and why and how and when and who.

(I also had the HEXUS forums on speed dial just in case )

MESH Computers Group
    Thanks
    Hi Rushey Platt,

I will have an engineer contact to provide further advice. This will speed up support and reduce the time you are left without the working software.

Registered+
    Thanks
    The engineer did call, thanks.

I followed his instructions which were to use the F10 Recovery thingy to restore my computer to factory settings. I then did as he suggested, i.e.:
    1. Uninstalled Office 2003 (trial)
    2. Uninstalled Works 8
    3. Rebooted
    4. Installed my own Office 2003 S&T Edition

However, the problem has not gone away. I am no longer in "reduced functionality" mode, but the Help/Activate Product menus still do not work. So in about 48 launches time I am going to have exactly the same problem as before.

Incidentally, I system restored back to how my system was after the factory restore, and tried run the trial Word. Exactly the same problem occured, can't activate. So it seems it really isn't anything to do with my Office, but with the way the system is configured at the factory.

Please advise further.

Regards

Rob F
    Last edited by Rushey Platt; 18-10-2005 at 11:08 AM.

Thanks
    Hi Rushey Platt,

I have been trying to call you but the number i have on file does not seem to be your number? Can you email me your contact details to phil@meshcomputers.com.

In the mean time i want you to reset the licence file please see the follwing microsoft Article Click here

Phil.

Registered+
    Thanks
    I tried the licence file thing, deleting opa11.dat, but it didn't work.

What's next?

Rob F

Registered+
    Thanks
    Can we please try and keep this topic on-topic, i.e. what can be done to solve MY problem?!

Everything that's been suggested so far has not worked, so just waiting for the next suggestion (hint hint!). (That said, I do appreciate Mesh's efforts so far.)

If it was not under warranty I'd consider a completely clean install of Windows XP. But I don't have a Windows XP disc (it's all on the recovery disk), and even if I did I'd be worried about finding all the right drivers. Plus I might lose the other bundled software.

Is there a recovery disk available that doesn't have any aspect of Works or Office at all on it, but would otherwise work for my PC?

Still tearing my hair out

Rob F

Thread Information