Thread: Mesh Computer will not 'detect' PCI Express card

Thanks

Thumbs up Mesh Computer will not 'detect' PCI Express card

I have a Mesh Elite M550 PCI-X computer with a 3.4Ghz P4 CPU and 1Gb of DDR RAM running Windows XP Home Version 5.1 (build 2600.xpsp_sp2_gdr.050301-1519:Service Pack 2). Windows .NET 1.1 is installed.

The motherboard is an ASUSTek P5GD1-VM with Intel(R) 82915G/GV/910GL Express Chipset Family on board graphics.

I have just installed a 256MB ATI X600 PCIE Asus/HP OEM Graphics card. However, Windows XP will not 'detect' the new hardware and I am unable to install the drivers manually because the card has not been 'detected'. The card is second-hand and has no documentation but I have downloaded the ATI Catalyst Driver but that will not install either, again because the graphics card has not been detected.

I have tried to disable the on board 'Internal Graphics Mode' in the hope of forcing the system to detect the card but it merely detects the on board graphics and automatically re enables the internal graphics even though I have disabled them. The BIOS seems to have a mind of it's own.

Can anyone suggest how I can get Windows XP to 'see' the newly installed graphics card, what BIOS changes I need to make, how do I make them stick and where I can get instructions for my BIOS which will explain what all the settings are and what they should be?

The cooling fan on the Graphics Card does spin which implies power is getting to the card though I do realise this is not a guarantee that the card is not defective.

I would appreciate any help/advice as the Mesh online support is somewhat limited in user friendliness and ability. Thanks.

Thanks
    Have you disabled onbaoard video in the BIOS?

Thanks

Mesh Computer will not 'detect' PCI Express card

I have tried to disable the on board 'Internal Graphics Mode' in the hope of forcing the system to detect the card but it merely detects the on board graphics and automatically re enables the internal graphics even though I have disabled them. The BIOS seems to have a mind of it's own.

Thanks
    So youve put it in the black PCI-E slot right?

Hmm, try this-

Take out PCI-E card and enable onboard video. Boot.

Then turn off computer, insert card and then plug DVI cable or whatever into card. Boot into BIOS and disable onboard video. Then restart and see if that works.

Good luck

Thanks

PCI Express Graphics Card

Tried that Noni and it didn't bring monitor out of standby therefore the graphics card must be faulty and perhaps that's why the BIOS would not allow any disabling of the on board graphics because it knew there wasn't a working alternative installed. A sort of safety setting.

So if I were to buy a brand new PCI Express graphics card that was working, the BIOS would then accept settings changes.......................or would it?

Moral of the story is not to buy anything second hand unless you know it works!

Thanks to everyone who offered their help

MESH Computers Group
    Thanks
    Hi solomatrix,

Just to confirm, when you changed the BIOS settings you would be best changing the following;

BOOTING GRAPHIC ADAPTER PRIORITY to [PCI Express/PCI]

and

INTERNAL GRAPHICS MODE SELECT to [Disabled]

I know the second one you have done already but it's here for clarification.

If you boot the system with no video card installed, the BIOS would auto-enable the onboard chip in order to provide an interface for the user.

Hope this helps.

Davey

Thread Information