Page 3 of 9 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast

Thread: Reason's to Love your Sh1t Heap

smells
    Thanks
    My previous car, a 1994 Fiesta Si 1.6 16v

The dent in the passenger side door was there when I got it.

First belonged to my mum, then my Grandad.
    Sold him my 1998 Civic 1.4SE 5-door as I was going to uni and needed the cash and got the Fiesta as part of the deal.

It was an absolute pup.

First time I drove it the engine developed a nasty misfire and wouldn't go above 3,000rpm.
    Replacing the sparkplugs solved the problem, only for it to come back again a few thousand miles later.
    Didn't seem worth working out what was wrong as I'd got it for free and it had negligible value so just changed the plugs every time it happened.

The suspension felt like it was made out of granite, surfaces changes in the M27 would send such a smash through the cabin that the CD player would skip for about 10 seconds, or sometimes the actual headunit facia would detatch and bounce around the footwell instead.
    Don't think hard suspension meant it handled well however, the front end felt like it was having a nasty arguement with the tarmac as it bounced from bump to bump which led to some rather unpredictable understeer at times.

I took it down to University (Portsmouth) and someone kicked the passenger side wing mirror off. I clipped it back in (as it was designed to do) and it redetatched itself at 70mph on the motorway and while swinging around on the safety cable cut a nice arc into the paintwork.

Someone else then drove into the drivers door when it was parked and put a nice big dent in it.

End of the second year of uni I came into some money and replaced it with a Mk2 Mazda MX-5 1.8i.
    I say replaced, I mean supplimented as it took 9 months to sell the thing, got £650 for it in the end and spent about £300 getting it sorted out before that

Still look back on it fondly though, not entirely sure why....

Thanks
    my s13 - atm the popups won't go down but the boost!!!
    Last edited by Zak33; 30-03-2007 at 08:52 AM. Reason: Nah.....not uncool enough. It doesn't count. A Datsun Cherry...that would count.
    SmoothNuts!~yaman_an@*.dsl.pipex.com > change my rating to exceptional tbh

Thanks
    • Flibb's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Gigabyte GA-970A-UD3
      • CPU:
      • AMD FX-6300
      • Memory:
      • 16GB Crucial Ballistix DDR3 PC3-12800
      • Storage:
      • Samsung SSD 840 EVO 250G
      • Graphics card(s):
      • 3GB MSI Radeon HD 7950 Twin Frozr
      • PSU:
      • FSP
      • Operating System:
      • Win7 64bit
      • Monitor(s):
      • Deffl TFT thing
    1971 tax exempt

Thanks
    • Zak33's system
      • Storage:
      • Kingston HyperX SSD, Hitachi 1Tb
      • Graphics card(s):
      • Nvidia 1050
      • PSU:
      • Coolermaster 800w
      • Case:
      • Silverstone Fortress FT01
      • Operating System:
      • Win10
      • Internet:
      • Zen FTC uber speedy
    Quote Originally Posted by Flibb View Post
    1971 tax exempt
    spill it......

Quote Originally Posted by Advice Trinity by Knoxville
    "The second you aren't paying attention to the tool you're using, it will take your fingers from you. It does not know sympathy." |
    "If you don't gaffer it, it will gaffer you" | "Belt and braces"

Thanks
    • Howard's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Asus P5B
      • CPU:
      • Core2Duo E6420 2.13GHz
      • Memory:
      • 2x1gb OCZ DDR2 6400
      • Storage:
      • 250GB & 500GB Seagate
      • Graphics card(s):
      • Inno3d iChill 7900GS
      • PSU:
      • Antec SmartPower 500W
      • Case:
      • Coolermaster Elite 330
      • Monitor(s):
      • 2x AG Neovo F419
      • Internet:
      • Virgin Media 20mbit
    Quote Originally Posted by Zak33 View Post

It feels like Hexus Cars n Bikes did 4 years ago
    Couldn't agree more... Talking about cars, pure and simple
    Home cinema: Toshiba 42XV555DB Full HD LCD | Onkyo TX-SR705 | NAD C352 | Monitor Audio Bronze B2 | Monitor Audio Bronze C | Monitor Audio Bronze BFX | Yamaha NSC120 | BK Monolith sub | Toshiba HD-EP35 HD-DVD | Samsung BD-P1400 BluRay Player | Pioneer DV-575 | Squeezebox3 | Virgin Media V+ Box
    PC: Asus P5B | Core2duo 2.13GHz | 2GB DDR2 PC6400 | Inno3d iChill 7900GS | Auzentech X-Plosion 7.1 | 250GB | 500GB | NEC DVDRW | Dual AG Neovo 19"
    HTPC: | Core2Duo E6420 2.13GHz | 2GB DDR2 | 250GBx2 | Radeon X1300 | Terratec Aureon 7.1 | Windows MCE 2005
    Laptop: 1.5GHz Centrino | 512MB | 60GB | 15" Wide TFT | Wifi | DVDRW

Thanks
    • Butuz's system
      • Motherboard:
      • MSI Z77 MPOWER
      • CPU:
      • I7 3770K @ 4.6
      • Memory:
      • 16GB Corsair XMS 1866
      • Storage:
      • Sandisk SSDs
      • Graphics card(s):
      • 3xR9 290
      • PSU:
      • be quiet! Dark Power Pro 10
      • Case:
      • Inwin H Frame
      • Operating System:
      • Windows 7
    I've got two Sh!t heaps - the Mazda and the Skyline.

I love the Mazda because of its unwavering reliability - its like an SAS trooper - you can always count on it to get the job done with no fuss, no moaning. You don't even need to feed it oil changes or servicing - it seems to find a way to eat berry's or something to keep itself alive

I love the Skyline because when it works - theres probably only a few other cars that I'd rather be in, notably a prancing horse, or a raging bull. Pity it's unrelaible at the moment - it's had previous owner that didnt look after it too well, mechanically - up to me to sort it out!

Butuz

Thanks
    • joshwa's system
      • Motherboard:
      • PC Chips M577 AT/ATX
      • CPU:
      • AMD K6-2 500Mhz
      • Memory:
      • 128mb PC100 SDRAM
      • Storage:
      • 8GB Fujitsu
      • Graphics card(s):
      • 3dfx Voodoo 3 3000 AGP (16mb)
      • PSU:
      • ATX 500watt
      • Case:
      • Midi Tower AT
      • Operating System:
      • Windows 98 SE
      • Monitor(s):
      • 22" TFT Widescreen
    Quote Originally Posted by Konan555 View Post
    New cars. Flash cars. Expensive cars. Bah.

Nothing beats my mates old 205 that would just about get us to Norwich with diet coke in the coolant system because it's the only fluid we had to hand to top it up with.

Cars with stories are much more interesting than cars someone wondered into a dealer and purchased on finance. Well done.... you can spend money.
    Reminds me of an old Renault 5 we had. We managed to go on a camping trip, took the tent, but forgot the sleeping bags!!

Another time we were taking wedding flowers to a wedding (where else!?!) and managed to split one of the water pipes on the fast lane of the motorway, the missus thought the car was about to explode - so stopped in the fast lane and got out!!!!!!!!! - we managed to get to the hard shoulder after I convinced her the car wasn't going to explode - and then the only thing we had to fill up the radiator was orange juice!!! we got to the wedding about half way through the service after stopping every half hour to fill the radiator with fresh water...

the cars still running and the missus' parents still use it

Thanks
    • Flibb's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Gigabyte GA-970A-UD3
      • CPU:
      • AMD FX-6300
      • Memory:
      • 16GB Crucial Ballistix DDR3 PC3-12800
      • Storage:
      • Samsung SSD 840 EVO 250G
      • Graphics card(s):
      • 3GB MSI Radeon HD 7950 Twin Frozr
      • PSU:
      • FSP
      • Operating System:
      • Win7 64bit
      • Monitor(s):
      • Deffl TFT thing
    spill it......
    My errr historic vehicle is a 1971 series 2A short wheel base petrol land rover. Needs a bit of work to get it up and running again, but is an "exciting" drive. Given the time and money would love to V8 and LPG it, then go for a drive around London.

Thanks
    First car and current car....

Firt - Talbot Alpine white with a lurvly brown interior, did my first ICE install a Tandy Graphic and Amp and a set of 'house' speakers jammed in the back!! Ended up selling it one after somehow managing to make the box and engine sit at a funny 'humped back' angle!!

Current - Ye Olde Mk1 Mondeo Ghia £150, its battered, going rusty, managed to get the family down to Somerset last year (with a VERY full load), takes numerous engine / gearbox bits, starts every time AND the A/C still works - luv it, probably THE worst car in T-Mobiles car park...but hey - bothered

Thanks
    Renault Meganne 1.6e RT (S)port - oo they stuck a spolier on! Shame it's missing the 'S' from the Sport badge (on the Starboard side!)

This thing has been a love hate relationship from day one. I love to hate the car (each weekend is a battle in an ongoing war) and the other half loves it..... and calls it EARNIE!?! My tale of woe begins with the best of intentions, you send a time served mechanic with 25+ years experience out to buy a car and he comes back with an 8 y/old french car with bugger all history and 96k on the clock you know it's going to be eventful.

It made it 120 miles from Yorkshire to Gateshead, parked up and died. After joining up on coupe-club (just don't tell XTR it's not a coupe ) and spending a week with a Haynes as bed time reading the starter motor connector was found to be (stupidly located and) corroded. At the time I thought it was worth doing the well documented earth straps and assumed i'd 'fixed' them all ... appart from the one I didn't notice that led to it conking out on the 27th of December at 6am as I flogged it from Wakefield to Gateshead... Merry xmas! Thankfully the AA fixed it and it was back down in aformentioned mechanics care the same day. I asked 'why is the coolant that orange/brown colour ?' - yes I was that naive! Only to be told that it probably just needed changing/flushing. A little reading revealed that 96k on the clock and 8 years with brown coolant and loss of water were probably not cheap/good. Oh and who put's a main fuse box below a water run off ? FRENCH PPL FFS!

Add to that the other 'little' jobs such as the new clutch, cam belt, head gaskhet, water pump, zorst manifold, link pipe, back box, cv joints, discs, pads/shoes, 2 gearbox oil changes in 1 year, sun roof motor twice only to find it was the relay, wing mirror and my current arch nemesis the rear p/s brake light and this car should now run to 200k without much more than oil/filters all being well. It's certainly worth more to the other half than we'd ever get selling it. So yes it's been a PITA but I can honestly say i've had fun learning to fix it, for that alone it's been invaluable.

It also taught me the most important lesson of all ... If you want bullet proof reliability then Japan>France hence Toyota = Good

Thanks
    • Howard's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Asus P5B
      • CPU:
      • Core2Duo E6420 2.13GHz
      • Memory:
      • 2x1gb OCZ DDR2 6400
      • Storage:
      • 250GB & 500GB Seagate
      • Graphics card(s):
      • Inno3d iChill 7900GS
      • PSU:
      • Antec SmartPower 500W
      • Case:
      • Coolermaster Elite 330
      • Monitor(s):
      • 2x AG Neovo F419
      • Internet:
      • Virgin Media 20mbit
    That's all down to neglect really, 96k miles and not a lot done to it
    Home cinema: Toshiba 42XV555DB Full HD LCD | Onkyo TX-SR705 | NAD C352 | Monitor Audio Bronze B2 | Monitor Audio Bronze C | Monitor Audio Bronze BFX | Yamaha NSC120 | BK Monolith sub | Toshiba HD-EP35 HD-DVD | Samsung BD-P1400 BluRay Player | Pioneer DV-575 | Squeezebox3 | Virgin Media V+ Box
    PC: Asus P5B | Core2duo 2.13GHz | 2GB DDR2 PC6400 | Inno3d iChill 7900GS | Auzentech X-Plosion 7.1 | 250GB | 500GB | NEC DVDRW | Dual AG Neovo 19"
    HTPC: | Core2Duo E6420 2.13GHz | 2GB DDR2 | 250GBx2 | Radeon X1300 | Terratec Aureon 7.1 | Windows MCE 2005

Thanks
    You think ? At 100k/8 years i'd expect a h/g change to be on the cards, clutch, CV joints, bearings, disc's/pads, water pump (you have to take off the belts to get it out so again have to put new on) and the zorst system was rotten from the water coming out the back box from the head gaskhet being on it's way out. It's just unfortunate it's all been in the last 12 months but that's they joy of owning an older french car I suppose I view it in the same way as fault finding on a PC, I have a sadistic love of all such things.

Thanks
    • Howard's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Asus P5B
      • CPU:
      • Core2Duo E6420 2.13GHz
      • Memory:
      • 2x1gb OCZ DDR2 6400
      • Storage:
      • 250GB & 500GB Seagate
      • Graphics card(s):
      • Inno3d iChill 7900GS
      • PSU:
      • Antec SmartPower 500W
      • Case:
      • Coolermaster Elite 330
      • Monitor(s):
      • 2x AG Neovo F419
      • Internet:
      • Virgin Media 20mbit
    Glad my Megane hasn't been that troublesome Touch wood!

Thanks
    you know what people?

I love this thread.

It feels like Hexus Cars n Bikes did 4 years ago

Which is good.

I think we owe Direct Hex a clap and prolly Howard too....cos he still owns a normal car and talks the talk and walks the walk.

/applause.
    here here

what did we all drive 4 years ago? mine was a white nova 1.2i merit... fantastic car, did a weekly commute from Swindon to Newcastle without missing a beat... cost £250, sold it for the same... the steering wheel got nicked once in 'Toon' which was wierd 'cos it was a standard plastic Voxall one... had to steer it onto the wrecker with molegrips!! :bizarre:
    http://www.helpforheroes.org.uk

Thanks
    4 years ago I think I was in my Rover stage ( aka the dark times of 820ness )

I had 2 820's, a standard 2.0 Sli and a Tuned Vitesse , which was my intro to forced induction !
    my Virtualisation Blog http://jfvi.co.uk Virtualisation Podcast http://vsoup.net

Thanks
    Four years ago I was driving my CRV and being a grown up. Then Dakky needed the car for his work and took it off me

Now I drive a mk III Golf with erratic windows and a sunroof you can't open and have to share it with eldest who passed her driving test on Monday. Loads more fun driving my little golf than Dakky's tank tho

Page 3 of 9 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast

Thread Information