Page 8 of 9 FirstFirst ... 56789 LastLast

Thread: Reason's to Love your Sh1t Heap

Thanks

Re: Reason's to Love your Sh1t Heap

Quote Originally Posted by Behemoth View Post
    What is your terd of choice anyway ?? Some sort of Vauxhall Cavalier ?
    Yup, a Turbo.

Thanks
    • Behemoth's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Gigabyte mATX
      • CPU:
      • Phenom 2 X2 555 BE
      • Memory:
      • 8 Gig DDR3 Corsair XMS 3 1600 MHz
      • Storage:
      • 4 TB's Storage
      • Graphics card(s):
      • Gigabyte GTX 460 OC2
      • PSU:
      • OCZ StealthStream 2 600 Watt
      • Case:
      • Silverstone TJ08-E
      • Operating System:
      • Windows 7 64 Bit
      • Monitor(s):
      • HP x23LED
      • Internet:
      • BT Broadband

Nice, I always liked Cavaliers

Thanks

Aye me too, had a few Mk2's then onto the 3's, few GSi's, then strayed into a Calibra Turbo then n my 2nd Cav Turbo now...

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by CocoPops
    Good post Zakky

My first shed...... lol
    Was a mk1 rusty, oil blowing 13yr old volkswagen golf, and boy was she good!! My first car, I crashed her, abused her and she still kept going. I paid £175 for her and it was the best £175 I spent for a long time. YRC 832Y did me proud.

Then I sold the golf and bought a lovely mk2 Fiesta Ghia 1.4 from a granny, exactly the kind of car I'd love to buy a gain, 14yrs old, immaculately maintained. D22UGM, or Dug-em as we called her.

I part ex'd the fiesta for my first real hothatch, a 1994 (6yr old at the time) Toyota Starlet 1.3 GT Turbo. I loved that car, and tbh its the car I most regret selling Small, unassuming, yet very rapid! L46 MBL, my first and only foray into the Japanese import market.

Almeras you say? I had 2, a mk1 phase2 (with the nicer rear lights) 1.4 5dr and she was lovely, got me from a-b, didn't grab attention but did the job. S46 NBW was a good car to me

Then I p/ex her for a brand new 2.2 TDi Almera (current shape), one of my motoring mistakes First of all, someone drove into the back of it when it was parked and it cost 5k to fix (it was only 3months old) then when I got her back after 4months in the bodyshop, I lost control of her on a black icey bend and ended up in a ditch.. write off. I'm sure LC02CCX was jinxed.

Then I decided to be sensible and bought a 2.2tdi Primera, you know the one, current shape with the fancy satnav and reversing camera! I kept OE51UWO for a short while before becoming bored with sensible cars and part exchanged her for my first clio 1*2.

My first Clio 172 was a lovely flame red example, bought as a 1 owner car and I really enjoyed her... for the short time I had her. I think I owned her for 6months? before part exing against a brand new 182 that I got an offer on I couldn't refuse. So KY03TXG became...

KK04XLP, a brand new Artic Blue 182 Clio. I loved this car also, in 11months I put 33000 miles on the clock and loved every one of them.

I then bought a westfield, with the idea of having 2 cars, one sensible and one fun.

Unfortunately, the westfield only lasted 2 weeks from registation to write off! Q816 GFD was written off because of a little oik in a fiesta that came round a bend all crossed up and ended up tagging the rear of the Westy and spinning me 18degress down the road. I was unhurt, the westy with only 500miles on the clock was written off.

Using the money I got back from the westy, which was slightly more than I paid, allowed me to buy my pride and joy... HT51HLD, that later became V22LAC... A Lightning Yellow Ltd Edition VX220! That car taught me sooo much about driving, I owe her a lot.

Going back to the 1fun car/1 sensible car, led me to buy a brand new (with staff discount) Nissan Micra 160sr, RV55 NSY to complement the VX220. I put 27000 miles on this car in 18 months.

Then in the last month, I sold the VX220 and part exhanged the micra against my latest pride and joy...

A 2005 Honda S2000, 240bhp of screaming vtec 2.0 engine!! A stunning combination of Moonrock (Met grey) with Red and Black leather interior.

Next.... who knows.... Stay tuned, I'll be sure to post it on hexus!!
    Quote Originally Posted by CocoPops View Post
    Holy Thread revival!

Update.....

So the Honda S2000 last from Feb 2007 until Dec 2007 when I sold her Was a great car, took me plus "MobyDick" to Le Mans and back. Think I did around 10k miles, of which they were quite varied.

To tide me over from the S2K to the next car, I bought a shed... £100 bought me a P reg
    Fiesta 1.25 What a machine. It had already had a fairly hard life... was a friends girlfriends car who clearly applied makeup in the car... as the controls were coated in it.
    P553 MOP aka PI$$ MOP lasted me well, from Dec 2007 until March 2008 when my current rocketship arrived.

KU08GNN, affectionately known as Cougan. I was after a new MK5 golf, spec'd up to what I wanted 18" wheels instead of the standard 17s, Xenons, Centre Armrest, Highline computer etc. However, I had the chance at a Silver Edition30 on staff purchase (15% off) so I jumped at the chance. Only thing I went without (it was already spec'd and on the production line) was the Xenon headlights.

So fast forward until now and she's running somewhere in the region of 320-340bhp with quite a few torques She's been remapped, had a turbo back exhaust fitted, an ITG Intake System, Sachs full coilover suspension (that I won in a magazine competition!).

I started putting quite a few miles onto the Ed30 around Janurary... was working in Chester so had some weeks where I was doing 700-800 miles a week. This has slowed down now... I bought a 2nd car to share the load...

So, In July 09, I bought GY54UPK.. A blue smart roadster.
    A complete difference to the golf. 80bhp of 3 cylinder turbo power.
    With a gearbox system you either love or hate, it's a manual box controlled by computer and servos. A semi automatic if you will. This means it changes the same speed as a manual gearbox, but because it's "automatic" you get complainers saying it's not instant enough.
    However, drive the car and lift the accelerator at the same time you would in a normal manual car and its very rewarding.
    Great spec, central locking, leccy windows, leccy roof with lift out side bars.

And thats me right now, my Ed30 and Roadster.
    Should see me through for now. Don't quite know what the next car is gonna be, but I do quite fancy the VW Bluesport Convertible as and when it arrives...
    Time for another update....

So, the Golf Ed30 got put back to standard and part exchanged for a 2007 MX-5 Mk3 2.0 Sport. I bought it March 2010 and by May 2010 had been lowered, had a oversteery geometry setup and I completed my first track day with Lotus on Track at Silverstone Stowe circuit. I was asked by no less than 3 lotus owners what I'd done to it... some very surprised looks when I said it was standard bar some lowering springs :reckon: BT07JFY (became V22LAC as was common for this plate to be on my sporty cars VX220, S2000 and Golf Ed30)

The Smart then got sold and I bought a sensible Ford Focus as my misses was pregnant and was due in December 2010..... BT55JXY then became V33LAC as I bought a corresponding plate to go with V22LAC.

I kept the Ford Focus from May 2010 until March2011 when the realisation that after 3months with the twins... that a focus wasn't big enough! So I got all sensible and bought a Volkswagen Passat 2.0 Diesel DSG Estate WK58WY then became V33LAC as I part exchanged the Focus.

As for the MX-5, well I still kept that until August (just a few weeks ago) when I took it to Anglesey for a VX220 Trackday... uh oh... I wanted a VX220 again, Even tho the MX-5 really did itself proud by showing up some VXs but it couldn't compete with the SuperCharged or Turbo cars.

So, the latest addition to the 'Pops stable is a 2003 VX220 in Solid Yellow... standard for... hmmm not long Plans are afoot to SuperCharge it, which should see it around 250bhp or just under 300bhp/ton. Yes, the VX220 formally HT03YZS will soon be known as V22LAC, so the V22 plate will be back where it started, on a VX220

So in summary, Since the start (1996):
    1983 Golf 1.1
    1986 Ford Fiesta 1.4 Ghia
    1994 Toyota Startlet GT Turbo
    1998 Nissan Almera 1.4
    2002 Nissan Almera 2.2 Sport+ (New)
    2002 Nissan Primera 2.2 SVE
    2003 Renault Clio 172 2.0 Sport
    2004 Renault Clio 182 2.0 Sport (New)
    2005 Westfield 2.0 SEiW (New)
    2001 Vauxhall VX220 2.2
    2005 Nissan Micra 160SR (New)
    2005 Honda S2000
    1993 Ford Fiesta 1.25
    2008 Volkswagen Golf GTI Edition 30 (New)
    2004 Smart Roadster
    2005 Ford Focus 1.8 Ghia
    2007 Mazda MX-5 2.0 Sport
    2008 Volkswagen Passat Estate Highline
    2003 Vauxhall VX220 2.2
    (Some have been concurrent, like Passat+VX now)

Thanks

Good lad, I wouldnt mind a 220 as a toy at some point, the missus has said I can have what I want if I sell the Cav, granted I was looking at Monaro's and VXR8's at the time, I'm sure the 220 could be practical

Thanks

I drive a 2003 Astra SXI MK4 that i bought for £1000, its gets me from A to B, i do a lot of mileage for work in a van so really only need the car to commute as i work outside of public transport hours.

When/if i come to sell it i am sure i will make a couple of hundred profit on it, and one day i might own a MK5.
    Insert signature here.

Banhammer in peace PeterB kalniel's Avatar
    Thanks
    • kalniel's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Gigabyte Z390 Aorus Ultra
      • CPU:
      • Intel i9 9900k
      • Memory:
      • 32GB DDR4 3200 CL16
      • Storage:
      • 1TB Samsung 970Evo+ NVMe
      • Graphics card(s):
      • nVidia GTX 1060 6GB
      • PSU:
      • Seasonic 600W
      • Case:
      • Cooler Master HAF 912
      • Operating System:
      • Win 10 Pro x64
      • Monitor(s):
      • Dell S2721DGF
      • Internet:
      • rubbish

Quote Originally Posted by Yosh View Post
    When/if i come to sell it i am sure i will make a couple of hundred profit on it, and one day i might own a MK5.
    No need to go down in the world mate

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by kalniel View Post
    No need to go down in the world mate
    Nothing wrong with them, my work one currently has 150k+ and still going strong.
    Insert signature here.

Thanks
    • Brucelles's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Gigabyte GA-F2A78M-D3H
      • CPU:
      • AMD A8-6600K APU
      • Memory:
      • 16Gb DDR4 800
      • Storage:
      • 1Tb Samsung, 320 Gb no name I can recall, 500Gb Sandisk SDD
      • Graphics card(s):
      • PNY - XLR8 GeForce 8800GTS
      • PSU:
      • 550W Corsair
      • Case:
      • Zalman
      • Operating System:
      • Windows 10 Pro
      • Monitor(s):
      • Samsung S27C590H
      • Internet:
      • Orange Livebox Wireless ADSL - Sucks something rotten, and SFR Neuf box. Sucks less.

Mine's not really a heap, but it's old and battered and filthy.

I bought a BMW 740i E32 in Luxembourg in 2003 for €4,000. It is a 1993 model and at the time was immaculate except for a tiny rust blister in the rear number plate area. It's metallic silver blue with French airforce blue seats. I have only one photo of it I can find, which is really weird as I love it, and you can't see the front.

It was a temporary purchase, as I was expecting to leave after a couple of years and sell it, but I moved over to Zurich, which wasn't far, so I drove, then I moved just down the road to Brussels, so I took it with me, then I moved to Paris, and I took it with me, then I moved down to the South of France while working in Paris, so I took it with me. Since I live in Paris and drive it every two or three weeks when I go down south there's no point in replacing it with a new car.

Now the poor old beast is 19 years old and has a dent on the near-side rear door from where I drove over a bent tree branch in it, has a missing chin spoiler grill from hitting something else and is full of dust and gets left standing in the garage for three weeks at a time and still runs like a dream. The a/c doesn't work, but that's why we have windows.

It has let me down once in its long life, when an electrical failure grounded it, and I have made only one modification, to put in a decent sound system that plays MP3s loudly. It still has the original integrated telephone (the size of a brick), and it still works.

My wife had a M-B CLK 320 when I bought this, and it gave her more trouble in 2 years, until we got rid of it, than my Big Blue has in its entire life.

I have covered nearly 250k kilometres in it, often at high speed, (it's only done 330k kms) I have driven from Carcassonne in the South of France to the Graspop Metal Meeting in Dessel, on the northern border of Belgium, and then back after 3 days of metal I once raced a Bentley on an autobahn near Luxembourg (I am electronically limited to 240k/h) and have actually beaten a Z3 in a hill climb out of the Grund in Luxembourg.

I have used it for carrying beech and oak logs from the forest to home, sometimes around 1 tonne of them, and I have carried friends, family, cases of wine, dying dogs, young sex-attack victims, vomiting cats, plants, trees, power metal guitarists, illegal drugs, manure and once a live wild boar piglet (marcassin).

I recently drove from Carcassonne up to Germany (for Wacken open air festival) and was able to stretch it on autobahn again and it went to 240kph.

I can honestly say that it has been my favourite car, beating my wife's SL500, and my old 500 SEC and another dozen or so, always fun, cars. It's worth the risk of buying one, or an E38, if you don't mind the thirsty nature of the V8 and can afford to walk away from it in extremis. You may well be very pleasantly surprised.

(Thanks Evilmunky)
    Eagles may soar, but weasels never get sucked into jet intakes.

Thanks

Since this thread's resurfaced and it rhymes with heap...

It's rubbish! But it has a 4.0 stright 6, so I don't care

Thanks
    • MaddAussie's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Asus ROG Strix Z370G
      • CPU:
      • i7 8700k (5.1Ghz)
      • Memory:
      • 16Gb
      • Storage:
      • 500G 960 EVO NMVE
      • Graphics card(s):
      • GTX 1070
      • PSU:
      • Corsair RM650i
      • Case:
      • Corsair Carbide A1r 240
      • Operating System:
      • Win 10
      • Monitor(s):
      • 24" Dell HD + Samsung HD

My first ever car was a Skoda 126 that a mate gave me before I passed my test to give me something to practice in, it lasted 2 weeks before it was spitting fuel everywhere from a split fuel line.

Next was Mini 1000 bought off of a mate that I drove around for ages, loved that car it stuck to the road like baby poop on a blanket and I drove it like I'd stole it ahhh happy days

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Brucelles View Post
    I have covered nearly 250k kilometres in it, often at high speed, (it's only done 330k kms)
    On the original, presumably Nikasil, engine? No sulphur at all in European petrol then?

It's worth the risk of buying one, or an E38, if you don't mind the thirsty nature of the V8 and can afford to walk away from it in extremis. You may well be very pleasantly surprised.
    I love E38s and I've been ever so tempted to buy one recently now you can get an enthusiast owned Alusil 740i for under £2k. But it'd be a waste really as I so rarely venture out of London.

One of those rare occasions was this weekend though, and it was an interesting one in my sh1theap, a 1996 Mk1 Mondeo 1.8TD Ghia. I've had it nearly two years now, and got it for £550 including 6 months tax from my father in law (so under £500 for the car, effectively). I never actually gave him any cash, just paid for our family holiday that year. A year later it got hit by one of our bus drivers while it was parked up at the entrance of the garage I work at; they just wrote me a cheque for £350 and I just stuck the rear bumper back on with gaffa tape. That wasn't an MOT fail, but a shagged front wishbone bush was- £100 including labour. So excluding the unavoidable costs of tax, MOT, and insurance, the car owes me £250.

So- last weekend. We had a long standing invite to go up and party with my best mate's old uni friend in Liverpool. Initially the plan was to get the train but the tickets would have been £70 each- or £100 for first class which my mate claims is a necessity on a long trip, seeing as he's a fat git. I figured it'd cost a maximum of £80 in diesel, so we decided to drive it. The train takes about 2 1/2 hours from Euston to Liverpool, but then there's a good hour of travel from SE London where we live to Euston, plus a 30 minute car ride at the other end from Liverpool station to his mate's house. All the online route plannners reckoned we could do the drive in 4 1/2 hours.

We set off at about 10.50am Friday; I brimmed the tank at the Sainsburys near the O2 on Greenwich Peninsula just before the Blackwall Tunnel- it took a smidge over 12 gallons, which cost £74!. Then we had a pretty smooth journey round the M25 with only one little tailback to worry about. But the overhead gantries were warning that the M1 was closed between J12 and J13- we decided to press on. When we got onto the M1 it was lovely and clear- until we hit a solid tailback 200yds before J11. Oh right- still closed then. So we headed off at J11 to try and get round it- straight into Dunstable where apparently 80% of M1 users had had the same idea.

Approx 90 minutes and one McDonalds meal later we were back on the M1, having seen one of the trucks that caused the closure coming the other way on a recovery truck as we went down to rejoin the motorway. An hour behind schedule, I floored it up the motorway doing about 80 as far as the M6 toll, which I was looking forward to as I've never driven it before. Unfortunately as we approached it I hit an expansion joint and heard a bang followed by a scraping noise. When it didn't go away I figured I'd better hit the hard shoulder- I'd just rotated the tyres, and perhaps my Lidl torque wrench wasn't up to the job. Looking under the car, the cause became obvious- the undertray had come loose and was scraping along the road. I was able to simple rip it off one side mounting, but the other side wouldn't come off, so we had to limp it off the motorway. After my google phone failed to fined me a local garage I rolled up at an industrial estate, managed to borrow a 10mm spanner from some refrigeration engineers, pulled the undertray off and stuffed it in the boot, and we hit the road again. The M6 toll was fine, and the car easily cruised at 85 despite the now compromised underbody aerodynamics, but the non-toll portion of the M6 north of Stafford was nose to tail with frequent stops due to sheer weight of traffic. We eventually rolled up to his mate's house at about 5.30 after a journey of more than 6 1/2 hours.

The run back on Sunday was a lot better with only minor traffic delays, although I came the closest I've been in 10 years to a major accident when a moron in a Corsa B pulled right out into my lane in busy 70mph traffic causing me to brake really hard to avoid him. When I got home after 470 miles I checked the fuel gauge, and I reckon there's nearly 4 gallons left in the tank, meaning that the car had averaged over 55mpg- possibly nearer 60! Considering that we spent over an hour crawling 5 miles through Dunstable, and another hour stopping and starting on the M6, and the rest of the time attempting to cruise at 70+, I think that's quite incredible.

Ford apparently spent a billion dollars developing the Mondeo- and IMO it shows. Mine still rides beautifully and corners hard. If I was buying one now I'd probably go for a Mk2 since they're just as cheap and apparently have even better suspension/handling- but they're exceptional cars. If you need a banger you'd be a fool not to check one out.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Konan555 View Post
    Since this thread's resurfaced and it rhymes with heap...

It's rubbish! But it has a 4.0 stright 6, so I don't care
    Just Enough Essential Parts

Quote Originally Posted by The Quentos
    "My udder is growing. Quick pass me the parsely sauce." Said Oliver.

Thanks

after a few poor financial desicions i had to sell my St205 celica GT4, and after a brief stint in a company 60plate poverty spec C3, i am now driving a 93 1.4 astra ;p and its toilet. quite fast in a way but utterly dangerous at anymore than the speed limit! i am currently looking at clio 172s, get a good example for under 2k now.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Rave View Post
    Ford apparently spent a billion dollars developing the Mondeo- and IMO it shows. Mine still rides beautifully and corners hard. If I was buying one now I'd probably go for a Mk2 since they're just as cheap and apparently have even better suspension/handling- but they're exceptional cars. If you need a banger you'd be a fool not to check one out.
    A very good car all in all. But sadly, for me, a disappointment when I came to it.

Sure, the handling was competent in it's class, well in advance of the accident-damaged-shopping-trolly outgoing Cav.

The downside was that I was benching it from a car that came before. When I felt the time was right to move beyond on from Sierra, I found the Mondeo wobbly and gutless in comparison. The 2.0 Zetecs infuriated me ever time I had to drop a cog to pick up from 50 to 70 and the V6/ST24 had some guts but started to really show up handling limitations on the platform. From what I heard, they really went to town with the package on the ST200, but I can't say I've tried it.

I guess I'm only posting in response to the word 'beautifully'. Adequately would be my experience of them. I just remember the disappointment of going to try a few with a mind to buy and being let down.

I very much agree, a good cheap buy now. Spares are plentiful and pattern parts are cheap (£6 rear discs for instance). Might even find a clutch change costs less than a house now (only because house prices have dropped )

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Tumble View Post
    Just Enough Essential Parts
    So long as being able to slow down isn't too essential!

Page 8 of 9 FirstFirst ... 56789 LastLast

Thread Information