Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Problem with Renualt Clio

Thanks
    Im currently trying to decide weather or not to rebuild the top half of my engine, in order to fix the annoying oil leak on mine*. While the engine runs fine, it is using up 1 liter per tank of fuel. After having a much closer look I think some of it may be from the head gasket and valve stem seals.

I was quoted 5 hours of labour = £500 for mine, probably not including parts. For me to do it, Im estimating if it goes well maybe only 10 hours, but I know it could be a lot more.

The actual parts cost very little:
    rocker cover gasket £10
    cylinder head gasket £25
    cylinder head bolts £30
    I forgot to ask how much the exhaust and inlet gaskets cost - which I will need, but shouldnt be more than £10 each...

I will also need to buy a torque wrench, valve spring compressor and a few other bits for £65.

Alternativly I could just leave it, where it will continue to get worse, and I will have to use the much cheaper but wrong type of oil 15/40 mineral, it could eventually die - I wont be able to sell it and will need to save up for another cheap car.

Or I could sell it as is, probably for a similar amount I bought it for last year.

Or I could keep it, and fix it, probably costing ~£150 but it will last several years longer with no other parts need replacing.
    Last edited by SilentDeath; 12-05-2007 at 08:20 PM.

Thanks
    If you have the time (budget on a weekend if you're taking your time) and the mechanical ability then the head isn't that bad to work on as long as you follow the Haynes to the letter and don't do anything as stupid as try and re-use the head bolts even after tightening them just once. If you aren't confident enough to tackle large mechanical jobs then now is *not* the time to start though. The clutch is more of a pita simply because you either drop the sub frame or lift the whole engine to get at it ... for the sake of 10cm of additional space it's an utter ball ache but that's the french for you).

As to if you should do the work, what's the car worth to you ? Just whatever you buy will need work at some point and £150 including £65 of tools doesn't strike me as that bad.

Thanks

Re: Problem with Renualt Clio

Hi all. Im having a problem with my renault clio that i just bought a few days ago, i knew that the cambelt needed renewing soon so im prepaired to get that done within the next week however im finding that the fuel is going down ridiculously fast in the car but doesnt seem to be a fuel leak as only goes fown when im driving the car but in all gears the car revvs very high, especially in 5th gear its at 3000-5000 revvs at 50 mph, this doesnt seem right to me as its a 1.4 2007 clio and I previously had a one litre and that used nowhere near as much fuel and didnt strain as much.... any ideas at all ? Thanks.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread Information