Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Need advice on viewing a second hand car

Thanks

Need advice on viewing a second hand car

I’m about ready to buy my second car and its probably going to be VW Golf mark 4. I’ve been driving a 1991 1l Micra for the past 3 years and its finally time to get some nice wheels. I’ve got a budget of about £2800 and I’m looking to get a 1.9 turbo diesel / manual version.
    What I need advice on is what to look for when viewing cars. I’m no expert and usually would take a mechanic friend along but at the moment I can’t get anyone with any substantial know how. I’ve got a car to view on Monday afternoon which Ill be going along to with my brother who knows a little more about me than cars.

The main things I’m worried about are the engine the clutch and the turbocharger.

Are there any standard checks that you could talk me through?
    I know a little about checking the oil making sure it’s at the right level and looking for white residue marks and frothing.

Looking for leaks from the radiator, looking for general leaks of water, oil, hydraulic fluid.

I’ve been told to look for a smoky exhaust and to check the colour of the exhaust. If it looks blue something may be wrong with the turbocharger. White smoke indicates the head gasket which I should walk away from.

Other checks are improper wheel alignment which is indicated by disproportionate tyre wear. Rust under wheel arches. Checking the suspension by bouncing all four corners of the car.

Clutch can be checked by trying to drive off in 3rd gear, if the car stalls then the clutch isn’t slipping. Listen out for crunching and grinding while changing gears, gear changes should be smooth.

I was also told about checking the wishbone suspension at the front of the car? But not too sure about that. If anyone has any suggestions about that Id be grateful/

If I jack the car up to look under it what sort of things should I be looking out for?

And I also know that when taking it for a test drive I should be taking it on different types of road and driving conditions.

Any advice on something that a layman can do when checking the car would be greatly appreciated, thank you in advance.

One more question I usually check used car prices on wisebuyers guides, should I be sticking to those prices as a guideline for private car sellers or are those prices innacurate in any way?

Thanks
    • Behemoth's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Gigabyte mATX
      • CPU:
      • Phenom 2 X2 555 BE
      • Memory:
      • 8 Gig DDR3 Corsair XMS 3 1600 MHz
      • Storage:
      • 4 TB's Storage
      • Graphics card(s):
      • Gigabyte GTX 460 OC2
      • PSU:
      • OCZ StealthStream 2 600 Watt
      • Case:
      • Silverstone TJ08-E
      • Operating System:
      • Windows 7 64 Bit
      • Monitor(s):
      • HP x23LED
      • Internet:
      • BT Broadband

Re: Need advice on viewing a second hand car

Mark 4 Golf for £2800 ? Surely thats going to bevery high milage on that sorta price range. I could be wrong there however.

Guy
    HEXUS.social member
    Thanks

When I was looking around about a month ago, anything under about 3.5k would have got you either a v high miler, or something that was very very dodgy. (Golf wise)

Afraid for a Mk 4 TDI your either gonna have to increase your budget or be prepared to have to do some work to it.

Thanks

The car Im going to view has a mileage of about 130,000. I thought for a diesel that is still pretty good.
    On wisebuyers guides that car has a good private sellers price of £2830.

Guy
    HEXUS.social member
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by demonwolf View Post
    The car Im going to view has a mileage of about 130,000. I thought for a diesel that is still pretty good.
    On wisebuyers guides that car has a good private sellers price of £2830.
    Thats not bad, as long as it has been well maintained.

Full service history is a must.

What sort of spec are you looking at?

Thanks

Just looking for the standard tdi s model 5 door hatchback. I know the PD versions which have 100bhp and higher (going up to the GT and GTI) would be too costly for me.

Guy
    HEXUS.social member
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by demonwolf View Post
    Just looking for the standard tdi s model 5 door hatchback. I know the PD versions which have 100bhp and higher (going up to the GT and GTI) would be too costly for me.
    Ok, well basic things to check for, are un-usual signs of wear and tear, e.g. seats starting to sag, rust around arches/joints. check all the door seals/boot seals.

Once warmed up, there should be little smoke, if its still very astmatic when warm then my advice would be to walk away.

When driving it, it should pull cleanly, and easily through the gears, with no juddering (well as long as your not in 5th at 25 etc!)

Do an emergency stop to check the ABS, and the tracking etc. Also do a couple of 360 degree turns on full lock, checking to see if any clunking/banging occurs from the front end.

+ check the other usual stuff as uv mentioned, leaks etc.

Thanks
    • Behemoth's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Gigabyte mATX
      • CPU:
      • Phenom 2 X2 555 BE
      • Memory:
      • 8 Gig DDR3 Corsair XMS 3 1600 MHz
      • Storage:
      • 4 TB's Storage
      • Graphics card(s):
      • Gigabyte GTX 460 OC2
      • PSU:
      • OCZ StealthStream 2 600 Watt
      • Case:
      • Silverstone TJ08-E
      • Operating System:
      • Windows 7 64 Bit
      • Monitor(s):
      • HP x23LED
      • Internet:
      • BT Broadband

If your looking at the standard TDI I'd say look at a different make of car, you can get so much better for that money, much lower miles and much better spec.

I'll be the first to admit I don't know much about cars, but when I was looking for a new car last year in July I thought I too could get a Golf TDI for about 3k, how worng was I. Yes I could get a high miler, which had gone round the clock twice, and it SHOWED.

I then looked into, for the same sort of money a Pug 306 HDI, and those seemed much better value for money than the Golf, and had less miles on them. Golf's really do hold their money, even when they have gone round the clock at least twice.

What I ended up with, and what I wanted however were miles apart. I set out looking for something that was TDI/HDI and within 4k with the car I had at the time as part ex. What I got was a 2000 (X Plate) Vauxhall Vectra 1.8 LS 16 V with 50,000 miles on the clock for about 2.5k which had been fully stealer serviced since day 1.

If you want a Diesel, then have a look at a Vecta, I love miine, it's comfortable, pretty nippy for a big car and can be repaired cheaply should you need bits
    (make sure it has the Iszuzu engine, they go on for years) for that sort of money you should be able to pick up a nice one *puts in flame proof vest*

Guy
    HEXUS.social member
    Thanks

Well if were gonna do some of our own recomendations then might I suggest if its not too big for your needs, looking at a Mondeo Mk 3 TDCi.

I got my 2003 (03) Ford Mondeo TDCi (130 bhp version) in Zetec trim, for a tad under £3k and it had only done 105k.

Quite frankly much better value than anything German, more equipment on it, and alot better to drive. Only thing is they dont hold there value, and not that it makes a slightest bit of difference to me but you dont get the 'badge', but it means you can pick up a bargain, and parts are generally cheaper.

Watch out though, the TDCi engines were only introduced in 2002, before that there were TDDI units stuck in there, while there not bad, there more tractor like, slightly less powerful, and less economic.

Thanks

Thanks for all the recommendations I dont mind them at all and actually its really helpful, I havent really looked at other diesels cept for the peugeot.
    I chose to go for a Golf just cause I really like the shape and always wanted to own one. Its more of an indulgence than going for practicality and moneys worth.

Fox
    Thanks

I really would like elsewhere for this budget. A Mk4 Golf for under £3k, especially a diesel, is going to be a very poor specification. The S model is very poorly equipped and does not even have air conditioning.

Buying such a low spec car can never be called an indulgence. You should increase your budget or consider something else - what about a VW Bora? It's a Golf with a boot, cheaper to buy, looks classier and has better spec.

BMW 530i Sport | Ford Mondeo Ghia X RSAP

Thanks

I never liked golfs... (and now have increased dislike of passats, i saw a very old one today, chucking out thick smoke.. looked quite horrible....)

But my opinion is if your doing diesel miles, you *need* decent seats, cruise control and preferably aircon.. although in this country that is last on my list (Im not just saying that becuase mine doesnt work... )

But as far as condition your list includes more than I would want or remember to check. Although with my 15 year old saab I am looking at timing chain, clutch and above mentioned aircon, each costing over half what I payed for it... fun

But once thats done i have a resonnably good condition car that once cost £30k... with all the features of todays top end family cars.

Thanks
    • joshwa's system
      • Motherboard:
      • PC Chips M577 AT/ATX
      • CPU:
      • AMD K6-2 500Mhz
      • Memory:
      • 128mb PC100 SDRAM
      • Storage:
      • 8GB Fujitsu
      • Graphics card(s):
      • 3dfx Voodoo 3 3000 AGP (16mb)
      • PSU:
      • ATX 500watt
      • Case:
      • Midi Tower AT
      • Operating System:
      • Windows 98 SE
      • Monitor(s):
      • 22" TFT Widescreen

Not sure if anyone else has mentioned this, but cambelt changes are due at 60,000 miles and 120,000 miles so make sure the cars had these done, otherwise you're looking at spending £250 (independant), £350+ (dealer) for a cambelt change on the VW TDI.

I'd also strongely recommend you get the car HPi checked, as this should show if the mileage is genuine.

Guy
    HEXUS.social member
    Thanks

If its a high-miller/out of waranty, personally Id stay clear of a dealer unless it was something that only they could specifically do.

Thanks

If you do buy a Golf, I would increase budget or as has been said, be prepared to do some work to it.

Last November I bought my 1999 Golf GTi (1.8T 150ps model) for £3895. The garage ran it through a complete service, replacing things like a new set of Bridgestone rear tyres to stretch over the 18" alloys, full oil, oil filter, fuel filter etc change, checked exhaust, suspension, everything.

I drove it away and it was a dream. Climate control, electric windows, and over course 3K+ RPM.

Now, things have started to take a slight twist. With the car almost being at 100,000 miles, parts have worn considerably. The engine mounts are worn (these need replacement around 100k or so I am told) which in turn has put pressure on the front section of the exhaust which has caused it to crack. The car sits lower than other Golf GTi's, which leads me to believe it has been lowered but there is no receipt for this work in the service history. If this is the case, then possibly that's why it goes through suspension brushes every 10k. There are mass amounts of receipts for both replacing suspension brushes, and buying them. Also, this isn't really a problem but it's an annoyance... starter motor squeeling when the engine fires. This is due to clutch dust in the starter, which can be cleaned out by a mechanic or DIY (I've seen a guide on the internet somewhere).

I suppose although it has these problems, I've fell in love with the car and I'm prepared to put some money into nursing it back to health because once on the lanes giving it a little stick, i find it's a really awesome drive.

Then my friend fell in love with my car, found a Golf GTi, absolutely perfect inside and out, half the mileage but twice the price.

You get what you pay for.

EDIT: Oh, just re-read what you typed, and Golf's have a problem with the synchos on the gearbox, you get what's known as 1st to 2nd grind. It also happens when shifting into reverse. The only remedy seems to be stripping down the 'box and replacing 1st and 2nd syncho's, a hub, and a few other parts. Few hundred quid job. All my knowledge comes from uk-mkivs.net forums and links from there to vwvortex. Maybe ask there if you have your heart set on a Golf for common problems to be aware of?
    Last edited by Clstrphbc_donut; 28-01-2008 at 11:21 PM.

glh
    Thanks

Cool Re: Need advice on viewing a second hand car

I am looking to buy a second hand golf tdi for 1,850. It has 198,000 miles on the clock and is a 1.9. I have been told that these boys keep going forever! Not sure though this motor has the higest mileage ever. It appears to be in good condition, just need to get checks on the amount of mileage done.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information