Thread: Motorbike CBT vs. Car Test

only the finest beef
    Thanks

Motorbike CBT vs. Car Test

Right, the Missus has said that to pass your CBT you need to be able to ride to the same standard as you need to drive to pass your car test.

Problem is... I've only done the car test and think that it should be a higher standard than CBT because CBT is a course (not a test) and it entitles you to go and learn on your own for two years after which you should take your test (or retake CBT if you're that incompetent), whereas the car test gives you your licence to drive for life (providing you don't prove that you're an irresponsible goon - in which case you shouldn't have a licence anyway).

Charlotte's only done CBT and so neither of us can actually say whether the CBT or car test is to a higher standard.

My view is that CBT gives you proficiency, whereas your driving test proves that you have some ounce of competency.

Anyone to take sides??

Thanks
    No, she's wrong. CBT is a course with a short test at the end (hence the name, Compulsory Basic Training). It's just to make sure you can actually control a bike, and know the basic rules of the road so you're not going to kill yourself as you're learning. You could only fail it if you were totally incompetent, really.

I personally think the actual bike test is easier than a car test, because the only bit of skill you need is being able to do a u-turn with your feet up, whereas in a car you need to be able to reverse park or reverse round a corner. I was lucky that I had to reverse park in both my car tests, I'd probably still be failing now if I had to reverse round a corner. I passed the bike test first time.

Rich :¬)

only the finest beef
    Thanks
    You could only fail it if you were totally incompetent, really.
    I wouldn't say that around Charlotte

Thanks
    hey, I had to do u turns for my CBT. And emergency stops, pedestrian crossings, lights, junctions, round abouts, lane stuff, passing stuff, signs, using gears properly (partly why I took so long to pass) road markings, observation, hazards...

Yes, I know I'm the worst hazard for miles...

ok you don't have to do reversing or parking to anything like the same skills, but given that a bike's easier to ride anyway, and looking at Angus' driving test mark sheet, I think they're comparable.

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Charlotte
    hey, I had to do u turns for my CBT. And emergency stops, pedestrian crossings, lights, junctions, round abouts, lane stuff, passing stuff, signs, using gears properly (partly why I took so long to pass) road markings, observation, hazards...
    Hey, maybe I'm being harsh then, if so sorry.

It's a long time since I did mine, 8 1/2 years( I'm old), maybe it's got tougher since my day. Or maybe your CBT instructor was a total *******.

Edit: Using gears? Actually that's a pretty basic requirement to ride a bike

only the finest beef
    Thanks
    I don't know.....

women drivers

<waits for the stone throwing to begin>

herbalist
    Thanks
    i found my CBT really easy mate, just a one-day course of riding around a trading estate, a little bit of theory on the highway code n that, then stuck straight onto the roads with an earpiece connecting me to the instructor behind. i mean, if i can pass, anyone can, haha. plus it was a LOT easier than my driving lessons i'm having at the mo. peace.

if war is the answer, then we are asking the wrong question
    2 things i hate the most - xenophobia and the french
    "chuffing"

One skin, two skin......
    Thanks
    If you've passed your car test you don't need to do a cbt to ride a moped on the road.

only the finest beef
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Big RICHARD
    If you've passed your car test you don't need to do a cbt to ride a moped on the road.
    Only if you've got "grandfather rights". I'm not sure when it happened, but all drivers that passed after a certain date can only ride a moped with cbt even if you've got your licence.

One skin, two skin......
    Thanks
    I passed in October 1998 and I can ride mopeds on the road without cbt.....

One skin, two skin......
    Thanks
    From 1 February 2001, a person passing a car driving test will be required to undertake a moped riding course before they can ride a moped on the road. A code number 122 is printed on the driving licence. This is only valid after a driver has successfully completed a basic moped training course.

Persons who already hold a full car licence, or who passed a car test before 1 February 2001, are not required to take training before riding a moped. But they are encouraged to do so.

If you have any enquiries about CBT (or moped rider training) phone the Driving Standards Agency on 0115 901 2500 and ask for the CBT section.

The UK learner motorcycle specification is an engine size of up to 125cc and a power output not exceeding 11kW (14.6bhp). The power output of an engine is measured in kilowatts [kW] or brake horse power [bhp]. A kilowatt is the metric measurement of brake horse power. One brake horse power equals 0.75 kilowatts. Engine capacity (or size) is measured in cubic centimetres (cc/cm3). The size of an engine is not directly related to its power output. Further information may be obtained from motorcycle retailers or manufacturers.

only the finest beef
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Big RICHARD
    From 1 February 2001, a person passing a car driving test will be required to undertake a moped riding course before they can ride a moped on the road. A code number 122 is printed on the driving licence. This is only valid after a driver has successfully completed a basic moped training course.

Persons who already hold a full car licence, or who passed a car test before 1 February 2001, are not required to take training before riding a moped. But they are encouraged to do so.

If you have any enquiries about CBT (or moped rider training) phone the Driving Standards Agency on 0115 901 2500 and ask for the CBT section.

The UK learner motorcycle specification is an engine size of up to 125cc and a power output not exceeding 11kW (14.6bhp). The power output of an engine is measured in kilowatts [kW] or brake horse power [bhp]. A kilowatt is the metric measurement of brake horse power. One brake horse power equals 0.75 kilowatts. Engine capacity (or size) is measured in cubic centimetres (cc/cm3). The size of an engine is not directly related to its power output. Further information may be obtained from motorcycle retailers or manufacturers.
    Damn,

just missed it by a year then

Thanks
    A little clarification on a moped...

Moped licence
    A moped is defined as a vehicle that must not exceed 30mph, weigh more than 250kg or have an engine over 50cc. The definition for machines registered before 1 September 1977, also includes its propulsion by pedals. You can ride a moped at 16 years old on a provisional motorcycle licence with moped entitlement. You must complete CBT (compulsory basic training), the theory test and the practical moped test to get a full moped licence.

Once qualified, you may ride a moped without 'L' plates and carry a pillion passenger. You must not, however, ride on motorways. If you have a full car licence gained after 1 February 2001 you must complete CBT before riding a moped. If your licence was gained before 1 February 2001 you are entitled to ride a moped without taking CBT. Again, once qualified you can ride a moped without 'L' plates and with a pillion, but not on motorways.

Thanks
    Cheeky sods:

A moped is defined as a vehicle that must not exceed 30mph, weigh more than 250kg or have an engine over 50cc. The definition for machines registered before 1 September 1977, also includes its propulsion by pedals.
    ......yeah, but does not include the requirement that it be limited to 30mph. The definition before 1/9/77 was that a moped was a motorcycle of 50cc or less that could be propelled by pedals. They changed it because bikes like the Yamaha FS1E ('Fizzie') didn't really stick to the spirit of the law, the 'pedals' were basically the footrests which could be kicked through about 90 degrees to provide a tiny bit of forward motion. They were pretty nippy too! If you can find one (they're a popular collector's bike now) you can ride a 45+mph bike at 16. In fact, a lot of 70s mopeds can do more than 35mph, my dad reckons his old Honda Camino could do about 45 with a tailwind.

Thanks
    • Trash Man's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Asus P8Z77-V LE Z77
      • CPU:
      • i5 2550k
      • Memory:
      • 8GB 1600 DDR3
      • Storage:
      • 1 x 128GB Crucial SSD 1 x 1TB Seagate
      • Graphics card(s):
      • 1.5GB 580 GTX
      • PSU:
      • Be Quiet 680W E9
      • Case:
      • CM 830 Stacker
      • Operating System:
      • Windows 7
      • Monitor(s):
      • Dell 2407 x 2
      • Internet:
      • 20mb IDNet ADSL
    Dont you have to fall off or do something really stupid to fail a CBT?

Living and dying laughing and crying
    Once you have seen it you will never be the same
    Life in the fast lane is just how it seems
    Hard and it is heavy dirty and mean

only the finest beef
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Trash Man
    Dont you have to fall off or do something really stupid to fail a CBT?
    Or just do a u-turn on the pavement

Thread Information