• Cooler Master HAF 912
      • Operating System:
      • Win 10 Pro x64
      • Monitor(s):
      • Dell S2721DGF
      • Internet:
      • rubbish

Goodyear efficient grip performance 1000 (+6k, 12k) mile reports

Now these have had a little wearing in I think I can give some first impressions on them. They were bought to replace Michelin Pilot Sport 3s, which I thought were pretty good apart from in colder conditions. Car is an Audi A3 sportback 2.0tdi.

The Goodyears are a lot cheaper - over 25% cheaper in fact, and there are promotions on top of that as well. But cost should be the least of your concerns where tyres are involved IMHO.

Handling wise, they're not as sharp on turn in as the PS3s. Once loaded up the lateral grip isn't far off in the dry, and about equal in the wet, but the bite on turn in is quite lacking and they feel like they're initially understeering compared to the PS3s. Longitudinal grip is a match for the PS3s however, and possibly even better under braking.

While damp road performance is very similar, the Goodyears do cut through standing water better than the PS3s, even when the PS3s were new, so I expect resistance to aquaplaning would be greater.

Comfort-wise, they feel stiffer than the PS3s at the same tyre pressures, so more road surface is transmitted to the wheel - less comfy, but more feedback about the surface type (but this extra stiffness doesn't result in better turn in, which was slightly counter to my expectations). They're also noisier than the PS3s even when the PS3s were new.

Fuel consumption for the Goodyears is better than the equivalent PS3s as well.

I've yet to test in colder conditions - my hope is that they won't suffer the same problem as the PS3s, which stiffened up once the temperature dropped and lost a lot of grip. Obviously too early to mention anything about wear as well.

In summary then, I'd say they are less sporty, but more fuel efficient and a little safer than the PS3s. It'd be interesting to compare the sister tyre - Dunlop BlueResponse - as they look to be the same compound as the Goodyears but with more solid ribs so I'd expect a slightly sportier feel at the possible expense of wet/cold performance.
    Last edited by kalniel; 20-08-2014 at 08:39 AM.

2. Received thanks from:

Zak33 (24-09-2013)

Thanks
    • Zak33's system
      • Storage:
      • Kingston HyperX SSD, Hitachi 1Tb
      • Graphics card(s):
      • Nvidia 1050
      • PSU:
      • Coolermaster 800w
      • Case:
      • Silverstone Fortress FT01
      • Operating System:
      • Win10
      • Internet:
      • Zen FTC uber speedy

Re: Goodyear efficient grip performance 1000mile report

If we're honest we all know Michelin make some of the finest rubber....but finding value out there is vital.

Good man Kal... thank you.

Quote Originally Posted by Advice Trinity by Knoxville
    "The second you aren't paying attention to the tool you're using, it will take your fingers from you. It does not know sympathy." |
    "If you don't gaffer it, it will gaffer you" | "Belt and braces"

Banhammer in peace PeterB kalniel's Avatar
    Thanks
    • kalniel's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Gigabyte Z390 Aorus Ultra
      • CPU:
      • Intel i9 9900k
      • Memory:
      • 32GB DDR4 3200 CL16
      • Storage:
      • 1TB Samsung 970Evo+ NVMe
      • Graphics card(s):
      • nVidia GTX 1060 6GB
      • PSU:
      • Seasonic 600W
      • Case:
      • Cooler Master HAF 912
      • Operating System:
      • Win 10 Pro x64
      • Monitor(s):
      • Dell S2721DGF
      • Internet:
      • rubbish

~6000 mile update

So we've been through a winter, and there wasn't any snow so I can't report how they do there. There has been a hell of a lot of water though and my earlier impressions remain - better than the PS3s in huge amounts of standing water, and quite close to them on wet/damp roads. (But neither a match for my old Vredesteins)

They did drop off in grip as the temps fell to around zero, but still offered more grip and feel than the PS3s in the equivalent temperature. Warming back up these days the grip has returned but again they're still not quite as glued to the road as the PS3s were.

Comfort, grip and economy is very much affected by tyre pressures - all tyres are, but the effect is larger with these tyres than I can remember for others. Drop the pressure a touch from recommended and the comfort and grip increases a bit especially turn in bite, increase the pressures and while the ride and feel for grip suffers (mostly it's the feel, grip not affected too much), they coast along the road floatingly.

Wear looks kind of average - noticeably less depth than new now, but not reduced at a rate that's alarming me.

Thanks
    • Apex's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Asus Z87M-PLUS
      • CPU:
      • Intel i5-4670K
      • Memory:
      • 32 GiB
      • Storage:
      • 20 TiB
      • Graphics card(s):
      • PowerColor Radeon RX 6700 Fighter 10GB OC
      • PSU:
      • Case:
      • Core View 21
      • Operating System:
      • Windows 10 pro
      • Monitor(s):
      • Dell S2721DGFA
      • Internet:
      • 200Mb nTL Cable

The Dunlop BlueResponse i can not recomend.

Got two on the front of the Mondeo. Wet grip isn't there. Wear rate doesn't seem so good [they are scrubbing very quickly compared to others i have had on the front] While the car is no featherweight it feels like wallowing barge with these fitted to the front.

Contrast that with the full winter tyres that i still have on and it's like am driving a very different car.

Treasure Hunter extraordinaire herulach's Avatar
    Thanks
    • herulach's system
      • Motherboard:
      • MSI Z97 MPower
      • CPU:
      • i7 4790K
      • Memory:
      • 8GB Vengeance LP
      • Storage:
      • 1TB WD Blue + 250GB 840 EVo
      • Graphics card(s):
      • 2* Palit GTX 970 Jetstream
      • PSU:
      • EVGA Supernova G2 850W
      • Case:
      • CM HAF Stacker 935, 2*360 Rad WC Loop w/EK blocks.
      • Operating System:
      • Windows 8.1
      • Monitor(s):
      • Crossover 290HD & LG L1980Q
      • Internet:
      • 120mb Virgin Media

Thanks for this, The vast differences in tyre performance even at different profiles of the same tyre makes picking the damn things hard unless you find someone with the same or very similar car.

Couple of questions - what size wheels are you on, and how much of a fuel economy difference are you noticing (and is it persistent now they're scrubbed in).

Thanks
    • Apex's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Asus Z87M-PLUS
      • CPU:
      • Intel i5-4670K
      • Memory:
      • 32 GiB
      • Storage:
      • 20 TiB
      • Graphics card(s):
      • PowerColor Radeon RX 6700 Fighter 10GB OC
      • PSU:
      • Case:
      • Core View 21
      • Operating System:
      • Windows 10 pro
      • Monitor(s):
      • Dell S2721DGFA
      • Internet:
      • 200Mb nTL Cable

205/55/R16 91V - as for fuel saving; none that i have seen in the 2500ml i did with them before putting the winters on.

I am either going to cut my losses with the Dunlops and sell them on ebay and then fit some of the Goodyears or i'll have to put them back on and live with them been poor.
    Last edited by Apex; 17-03-2014 at 03:33 PM.

Thanks
    • kalniel's system
      • Motherboard:
      • CPU:
      • Intel i9 9900k
      • Memory:
      • 32GB DDR4 3200 CL16
      • Storage:
      • Graphics card(s):
      • nVidia GTX 1060 6GB
      • PSU:
      • Seasonic 600W
      • Case:
      • Cooler Master HAF 912
      • Operating System:
      • Win 10 Pro x64
      • Monitor(s):
      • Dell S2721DGF
      • Internet:
      • rubbish

Quote Originally Posted by herulach View Post
    Couple of questions - what size wheels are you on, and how much of a fuel economy difference are you noticing (and is it persistent now they're scrubbed in).
    205/55/R16, also 91V

Yes, fuel economy improvement has actually increased a touch since new*. I'm noticing about a 5% improvement compared to the PS3s, which isn't tonnes (2-3mpg), but every little helps.

*in my experience economy has always improved slightly over a tyres life (for the tyres I've tried) - I don't know if that's because rolling resistance lessens as tread depth decreases, or because the circumference of the wheel/tyre is smaller so the odometer slightly inaccurately records more miles travelled.
    Last edited by kalniel; 17-03-2014 at 02:13 PM.

Treasure Hunter extraordinaire herulach's Avatar
    Thanks
    • herulach's system
      • Motherboard:
      • MSI Z97 MPower
      • CPU:
      • i7 4790K
      • Memory:
      • 8GB Vengeance LP
      • Storage:
      • 1TB WD Blue + 250GB 840 EVo
      • Graphics card(s):
      • 2* Palit GTX 970 Jetstream
      • PSU:
      • EVGA Supernova G2 850W
      • Case:
      • CM HAF Stacker 935, 2*360 Rad WC Loop w/EK blocks.
      • Operating System:
      • Windows 8.1
      • Monitor(s):
      • Crossover 290HD & LG L1980Q
      • Internet:
      • 120mb Virgin Media

Quote Originally Posted by kalniel View Post
    205/55/R16, also 91V

Yes, fuel economy improvement has actually increased a touch since new*. I'm noticing about a 5% improvement compared to the PS3s, which isn't tonnes (2-3mpg), but every little helps.

*in my experience economy has always improved slightly over a tyres life (for the tyres I've tried) - I don't know if that's because rolling resistance lessens as tread depth decreases, or because the circumference of the wheel/tyre is smaller so the odometer slightly inaccurately records more miles travelled.
    Thanks, you're right 5% isn't a lot, but over the life of the tyres that saves you a good bit of cash (about £120 using my average economy of 12p/mile).

Thanks

I don't have a choice what goes on mine, with it being a managed lease - had some Michelins on it from new, they lasted 32k brilliantly until the last few weeks (still legal) but starting to feel a bit 'squidgy' Had some Goodyears put on (can't remember the exact model), and they've done 6k since the end of November, they're fine in all road conditions (even tried them in a little bit of snow!) and don't seem to be wearing at all just yet.

Quote Originally Posted by The Quentos
    "My udder is growing. Quick pass me the parsely sauce." Said Oliver.

Thanks
    • kalniel's system
      • Motherboard:
      • CPU:
      • Intel i9 9900k
      • Memory:
      • 32GB DDR4 3200 CL16
      • Storage:
      • Graphics card(s):
      • nVidia GTX 1060 6GB
      • PSU:
      • Seasonic 600W
      • Case:
      • Cooler Master HAF 912
      • Operating System:
      • Win 10 Pro x64
      • Monitor(s):
      • Dell S2721DGF
      • Internet:
      • rubbish

~12000 mile report

So I've had these for a year now and over 12k miles. They seem to be wearing worse than the PS3s, which I'm a little surprised by, but I guess you can't have everything. Hard to predict how long they'll last for though as the PS3s seemed to wear then hang on for a while before getting near minimum, but I would probably say another 6k miles from the fronts.. we'll see what the somewhat hit and miss MOT/car inspection recommends. Problem is I don't like going through winter with low, even if legal, tread, so I've got my timing wrong with these ones!

In every other way I've been really impressed by these tyres. Performance in the wet and damp has been at least equal to the PS3s. Performance at low temperatures has been better, and the few extra mpg I get is always nice (especially given the tyres are much cheaper in the first place) - I averaged over 60 mpg on my last fill up (over more than 600 miles).

The only area they give up to the PS3s is that initial bite on turn in, and on the hottest days of summer when the PS3s really feel glued to the road these don't. So on an emergency cross-country blast I'm at 9.5/10 rather than 10/10, but that's probably a good thing (and not that I've pushed them past their limits, it's just a feel thing). They're still miles above economy or original fitment (Michelin Primacy HP) tyres.

Thanks

Smile Re: Goodyear efficient grip performance 1000mile report

I bought some rotors off of ebay and they were pretty cheap, they warped after a few months, then I found LUK Schaffer Brake rotors on sportsbrakerotors and I have couldn’t be happier. I got a set of BLACK XD Brakes and installed them on my BMW 325 and they're simply amazing.

Quote Originally Posted by herulach View Post
    Thanks for this, The vast differences in tyre performance even at different profiles of the same tyre makes picking the damn things hard unless you find someone with the same or very similar car.

Thanks
    • Zak33's system
      • Storage:
      • Kingston HyperX SSD, Hitachi 1Tb
      • Graphics card(s):
      • Nvidia 1050
      • PSU:
      • Coolermaster 800w
      • Case:
      • Silverstone Fortress FT01
      • Operating System:
      • Win10
      • Internet:
      • Zen FTC uber speedy

Re: ~12000 mile report

Quote Originally Posted by kalniel View Post
    The only area they give up to the PS3s is that initial bite on turn in, and on the hottest days of summer when the PS3s really feel glued to the road these don't. So on an emergency cross-country blast I'm at 9.5/10 rather than 10/10, but that's probably a good thing (and not that I've pushed them past their limits, it's just a feel thing).
    must be the same with most of them bud because I feel that exactly too... the odd thing with the Quadraxers is that as they load up they feel better and better .. so the initial turn in feels loose and you soon get used to it.

Quote Originally Posted by Advice Trinity by Knoxville
    "The second you aren't paying attention to the tool you're using, it will take your fingers from you. It does not know sympathy." |
    "If you don't gaffer it, it will gaffer you" | "Belt and braces"

Thanks

Re: ~12000 mile report

I too have had these tyres for 12000 miles and they are now down to 2mm all round and have had to be replaced. I sent them back to Goodyear but was extremely disappointed with their reply. The front two were, quote, “Caused by a mechanical irregularity OR is the normal wear characteristic of the vehicle to which it is fitted”. The rear two were, quote, “To be within manufacturing specifications”.
    I find it strange that both front and rear have worn at the same very fast rate but if this is normal please stay away from this manufactures if you want value for money.
    I chose Goodyear because I wanted good tyres from a respected company and felt I should get at least 20000 miles from reliable tyres.

Thanks
    • Butcher's system
      • Motherboard:
      • MSI Z97 Gaming 3
      • CPU:
      • i7-4790K
      • Memory:
      • 8 GB Corsair 1866 MHz
      • Storage:
      • 120GB SSD, 240GB SSD, 2TB HDD
      • Graphics card(s):
      • MSI GTX 970
      • PSU:
      • Antec 650W
      • Case:
      • Big Black Cube!
      • Operating System:
      • Windows 7

Re: Goodyear efficient grip performance 1000 (+6k, 12k) mile reports

12k does seem very low; I used to get 20k out of a set of PS3s on my old car, and they're far from the hardest compound.

Thanks

Smile Re: Goodyear efficient grip performance 1000 (+6k, 12k) mile reports

Quote Originally Posted by Butcher View Post
    12k does seem very low; I used to get 20k out of a set of PS3s on my old car, and they're far from the hardest compound.
    Thanks for your reply,
    I feel that Goodyear want to turn their backs on the problem I have had with these tyres and are not willing to admit that there is something wrong with them.
    I have been a mechanic for more than 40 years and have checked the alignment, KPI, wheel brgs, etc. personally l and have not found any faults with the car. I will not be buying Goodyear again or recommending them to anyone else.

Thanks again Butcher for your interest.

Thanks
    • kalniel's system
      • Motherboard:
      • CPU:
      • Intel i9 9900k
      • Memory:
      • 32GB DDR4 3200 CL16
      • Storage:
      • Graphics card(s):
      • nVidia GTX 1060 6GB
      • PSU:
      • Seasonic 600W
      • Case:
      • Cooler Master HAF 912
      • Operating System:
      • Win 10 Pro x64
      • Monitor(s):
      • Dell S2721DGF
      • Internet:
      • rubbish

Re: Goodyear efficient grip performance 1000 (+6k, 12k) mile reports

They don't claim any particular wear rating in the UK as far as I can tell, so there's not anything wrong if they don't wear all that well. For me I ended up changing out at about 14k on a torque heavy turbo diesel front ender, as we were coming up to a wet spell and I wanted the extra tread depth (not to mention I got a puncture so had to replace one anyway).

Wearing a bit faster is a price I'm willing to pay for better and safer grip, and at the time I bought them they were at least 25% cheaper than my usual preference.

The new car is a whole different board game - I'm not looking forward to the 18" low profile choices - all 'sport' and priced accordingly.
    Last edited by kalniel; 06-04-2015 at 10:12 PM.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information