Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Rules of the road - Roundabouts. Am I right on this one?

Thanks
    • Ttaskmaster's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Aorus Master X670E
      • CPU:
      • Ryzen 7800X3D
      • Memory:
      • 32GB Corsair Dominator DDR5 6000MHz
      • Storage:
      • Samsung Evo 120GB and Seagate Baracuda 2TB
      • Graphics card(s):
      • Aorus Master 4090
      • PSU:
      • EVGA Supernova G2 1000W
      • Case:
      • Lian Li V3000 Plus
      • Operating System:
      • Win11
      • Monitor(s):
      • Gigabyte M32U
      • Internet:
      • 900Mbps Gigaclear WHOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!!!!

Re: Rules of the road - Roundabouts. Am I right on this one?

If you are going straight ahead and indicate right, you are giving a misleading indication to the trafic at the next entry (ie after the exit you're taking) and is a fail on a driving test - Trust me on that one!!

It's taught that you do not indicate at all on the roundabout, until you are lining up for your exit, whereupon you indicate left... assuming you read the signs and got in the correct lane to start with, of course!

ZaO

Quote Originally Posted by Ttaskmaster View Post
    If you are going straight ahead and indicate right, you are giving a misleading indication to the trafic at the next entry (ie after the exit you're taking) and is a fail on a driving test - Trust me on that one!!

It's taught that you do not indicate at all on the roundabout, until you are lining up for your exit, whereupon you indicate left... assuming you read the signs and got in the correct lane to start with, of course!
    I was taught to indicate right going round if I'm taking any exit past straight over. It lets people know that you do not plan to exit yet so that they know it's not safe to pull out onto the roundabout. And something like that is very useful if people are using the right-hand lane on a two lane roundabout to go both straight over, and further round to any other exits. It's all about making your intentions clear, in good time, but not too early. The problem is that we have all been taught different things at different times. Some of us may have misinterpreted what we were taught, also. But, I'm still not clear on my original question. It seems that we can't make our collective minds up lol

Thanks
    • Ttaskmaster's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Aorus Master X670E
      • CPU:
      • Ryzen 7800X3D
      • Memory:
      • Storage:
      • Graphics card(s):
      • Aorus Master 4090
      • PSU:
      • Case:
      • Lian Li V3000 Plus
      • Operating System:
      • Win11
      • Monitor(s):
      • Gigabyte M32U
      • Internet:

Quote Originally Posted by ZaO View Post
    It lets people know that you do not plan to exit yet so that they know it's not safe to pull out onto the roundabout. And something like that is very useful if people are using the right-hand lane on a two lane roundabout to go both straight over, and further round to any other exits.
    If you are not indicating left, you are not planning to turn off.
    Those waiting should see you're in the right hand lane and not be pulling out until they do know which way you're going.

But, I'm still not clear on my original question. It seems that we can't make our collective minds up lol
    Except where lane markings direct otherwise - Left lane is for left and straight ahead. Right lane is for going right.
    Do not indicate right because you are not actually turning and your intent should either already be clear from the lane you choose (because we always choose the correct lane, yeh?), or made clear at the point when you indicate left to turn off.

That is the official word from the Police instructor I currently train with.

Thanks
    • Butcher's system
      • Motherboard:
      • MSI Z97 Gaming 3
      • CPU:
      • i7-4790K
      • Memory:
      • 8 GB Corsair 1866 MHz
      • Storage:
      • 120GB SSD, 240GB SSD, 2TB HDD
      • Graphics card(s):
      • MSI GTX 970
      • PSU:
      • Antec 650W
      • Case:
      • Big Black Cube!
      • Operating System:
      • Windows 7

That's not what the highway code says though:
    When taking an exit to the right or going full circle, unless signs or markings indicate otherwise ... signal right and approach in the right-hand lane

It specifically says you should signal right.

Thanks
    • Ttaskmaster's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Aorus Master X670E
      • CPU:
      • Ryzen 7800X3D
      • Memory:
      • Storage:
      • Graphics card(s):
      • Aorus Master 4090
      • PSU:
      • Case:
      • Lian Li V3000 Plus
      • Operating System:
      • Win11
      • Monitor(s):
      • Gigabyte M32U
      • Internet:

Quote Originally Posted by Butcher View Post
    That's not what the highway code says though:
    When taking an exit to the right or going full circle, unless signs or markings indicate otherwise ... signal right and approach in the right-hand lane

It specifically says you should signal right.
    Where there is a right hand lane to approach in, yes, because you're indicating that you're not turning off - This is where the catch-all caveat of 'where lane markings indicate'.
    On a single-lane roundabout, you do not need to indicate right.

I don't know why I bother indicating at all, really, as no-one ever sees motorcycles anyway!

Thanks
    • Butcher's system
      • Motherboard:
      • MSI Z97 Gaming 3
      • CPU:
      • i7-4790K
      • Memory:
      • 8 GB Corsair 1866 MHz
      • Storage:
      • 120GB SSD, 240GB SSD, 2TB HDD
      • Graphics card(s):
      • MSI GTX 970
      • PSU:
      • Antec 650W
      • Case:
      • Big Black Cube!
      • Operating System:
      • Windows 7

Where there is a right hand lane to approach in, yes, because you're indicating that you're not turning off - This is where the catch-all caveat of 'where lane markings indicate'.
    On a single-lane roundabout, you do not need to indicate right.
    That is not what the HC says though, it says indicating right is the default behaviour, unless there are markings to the contrary. A single lane roundabout typically has no road markings thus you should indicate right (per the HC).

ZaO

If you are not indicating left, you are not planning to turn off.
    Those waiting should see you're in the right hand lane and not be pulling out until they do know which way you're going.

Except where lane markings direct otherwise - Left lane is for left and straight ahead. Right lane is for going right.
    Do not indicate right because you are not actually turning and your intent should either already be clear from the lane you choose (because we always choose the correct lane, yeh?), or made clear at the point when you indicate left to turn off.

That is the official word from the Police instructor I currently train with.
    Yeh. But some people don't indicate at all, remember So I indicate right when going past 12oclock to let people know. I'm sure that's what you're supposed to do anyway..

So what about when there's two lanes which are unmarked - are those people using the right hand lane to go straight over, in the wrong? That's what I can't figure out. I feel like they're cheating and cutting me off, using the right hand lane to get ahead, when really they should be in the left lane like me. It's starting to seem like a bit of a grey area :/

Banhammer in peace PeterB kalniel's Avatar
    Thanks
    • kalniel's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Gigabyte Z390 Aorus Ultra
      • CPU:
      • Intel i9 9900k
      • Memory:
      • 32GB DDR4 3200 CL16
      • Storage:
      • 1TB Samsung 970Evo+ NVMe
      • Graphics card(s):
      • nVidia GTX 1060 6GB
      • PSU:
      • Seasonic 600W
      • Case:
      • Cooler Master HAF 912
      • Operating System:
      • Win 10 Pro x64
      • Monitor(s):
      • Dell S2721DGF
      • Internet:
      • rubbish

So what about when there's two lanes which are unmarked - are those people using the right hand lane to go straight over, in the wrong?
    No, if there's a dual lane exit. Yes, if single.

That's what I can't figure out. I feel like they're cheating and cutting me off
    (Assuming dual lane exit) How can they be cutting you off? The only way you'd be in the same lane would be if you moved from the left lane to the right lane, in which case it's you cutting them off, not the other way around (and you'd be done for an unsafe lane change). If they are in the right hand lane then they've not changed lanes.

ZaO

Quote Originally Posted by kalniel View Post
    No, if there's a dual lane exit. Yes, if single.

(Assuming dual lane exit) How can they be cutting you off? The only way you'd be in the same lane would be if you moved from the left lane to the right lane, in which case it's you cutting them off, not the other way around (and you'd be done for an unsafe lane change). If they are in the right hand lane then they've not changed lanes.
    While your logic sounds good, I can't just take your word for it as we're all saying different things, and I know I was taught different (though I know instructors aren't always right, of course). It would be really good to see some official documentation, or something from a reputable driving instructor type website...

Banhammer in peace PeterB kalniel's Avatar
    Thanks
    • kalniel's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Gigabyte Z390 Aorus Ultra
      • CPU:
      • Intel i9 9900k
      • Memory:
      • 32GB DDR4 3200 CL16
      • Storage:
      • 1TB Samsung 970Evo+ NVMe
      • Graphics card(s):
      • nVidia GTX 1060 6GB
      • PSU:
      • Seasonic 600W
      • Case:
      • Cooler Master HAF 912
      • Operating System:
      • Win 10 Pro x64
      • Monitor(s):
      • Dell S2721DGF
      • Internet:
      • rubbish

While your logic sounds good, I can't just take your word for it as we're all saying different things, and I know I was taught different (though I know instructors aren't always right, of course). It would be really good to see some official documentation, or something from a reputable driving instructor type website...
    You linked to it yourself - the diagram shows what I'm saying.

Thanks
    • scaryjim's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Dell Inspiron
      • CPU:
      • Core i5 8250U
      • Memory:
      • 2x 4GB DDR4 2666
      • Storage:
      • 128GB M.2 SSD + 1TB HDD
      • Graphics card(s):
      • Radeon R5 230
      • PSU:
      • Battery/Dell brick
      • Case:
      • Dell Inspiron 5570
      • Operating System:
      • Windows 10
      • Monitor(s):
      • 15" 1080p laptop panel

Utilising the page you linked to originally, ZaO: (emphasis added)

Signals and position

When taking any intermediate exit, unless signs or markings indicate otherwise

select the appropriate lane on approach to and on the roundabout
    you should not normally need to signal on approach
    stay in this lane until you need to alter course to exit the roundabout
    signal left after you have passed the exit before the one you want.
    When there are more than three lanes at the entrance to a roundabout, use the most appropriate lane on approach and through it.

In all cases watch out for and give plenty of room to

pedestrians who may be crossing the approach and exit roads
    traffic crossing in front of you on the roundabout, especially vehicles intending to leave by the next exit
    traffic which may be straddling lanes or positioned incorrectly
    motorcyclists
    cyclists and horse riders who may stay in the left-hand lane and signal right if they intend to continue round the roundabout. Allow them to do so
    long vehicles (including those towing trailers). These might have to take a different course or straddle lanes either approaching or on the roundabout because of their length. Watch out for their signals.
    So, section 186. You should only change lanes when you need to alter course to exit the roundabout. If you're in the left lane on approach to a two lane exit, you don't need to change lane to exit the roundabout, so you shouldn't. If you're in the right lane, you will need to cross the left lane to exit the roundabout.

Section 187 specifically says you should watch out and give room to traffic crossing in front of you, especially vehicles leaving the roundabout. Since we've already discussed that you only change lane if you need to to exit the roundabout, that means if you're in the left lane you should be watching and giving room to vehicles pulling in from the right lane, who are exiting the roundabout.

Now, none of that precludes you approaching in the left lane and still taking the right lane on exit, as you don't need to change lanes on the roundabout to do that. However, if there is traffic in the right-hand lane that also needs to exit the roundabout, you would be denying them room to change lanes, which is against section 187. So if you choose to use the left-hand lane going on to the roundabout, you need to give cars in the right-hand lane room to exit.

It's worth noting that the highway code only mandates using the left-hand lane for the first exit to the left, so if the road markings don't specify otherwise it's acceptable to use the right hand lane for any other exit, regardless of how far round it is.
    Last edited by scaryjim; 10-02-2015 at 12:18 PM.

Thanks
    • Ttaskmaster's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Aorus Master X670E
      • CPU:
      • Ryzen 7800X3D
      • Memory:
      • Storage:
      • Graphics card(s):
      • Aorus Master 4090
      • PSU:
      • Case:
      • Lian Li V3000 Plus
      • Operating System:
      • Win11
      • Monitor(s):
      • Gigabyte M32U
      • Internet:

Also worth noting that The Highway Code is not law - the law is the law. When determining a standard of driving (such as in careless or dangerous driving cases) the Highway Code can be used as a benchmark of what a competent, careful driver would do... but it's at best an Approved Code of Practice.

Certain elements of the HC are summaries of the actual rules in the Road Traffic Act, which are clearly identified by the term 'MUST/MUST NOT'.

Registered+
    Thanks

OK. scaryjim's post seemed to indicate that I was in the wrong until the point about Section 187 where it would appear that people are blocking my exit. In the following (crude) diagram I am taking the orange route.

Is my lane choice correct?

Thanks
    • scaryjim's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Dell Inspiron
      • CPU:
      • Core i5 8250U
      • Memory:
      • 2x 4GB DDR4 2666
      • Storage:
      • Graphics card(s):
      • Radeon R5 230
      • PSU:
      • Battery/Dell brick
      • Case:
      • Dell Inspiron 5570
      • Operating System:
      • Windows 10
      • Monitor(s):
      • 15" 1080p laptop panel

Quote Originally Posted by PowStu View Post
    Is my lane choice correct?
    Correct is a difficult word when it comes to driving, as so many things are a matter of opinion and/or judgement.

OTOH, if the angles on your diagram are correct: the highway codes indicates that if you are making a right turn at a roundabout you should use the right hand lane unless road markings indicate otherwise, so if you're taking the second exit in your diagram then you should use the right lane (as the exit is beyond "12 o'clock" from your entry point). The road markings on your exit then clearly indicate that you need to be in the left hand lane to make the following left turn, so you should change lanes on the roundabout to exit in the left hand lane of your chosen exit then carry out the rest of your manouvre.

Again from the page ZaO linked in the OP:
    When taking an exit to the right or going full circle, unless signs or markings indicate otherwise

signal right and approach in the right-hand lane
    keep to the right on the roundabout until you need to change lanes to exit the roundabout
    signal left after you have passed the exit before the one you want.
    So, in my opinion and assuming your diagram is near enough accurate, the route you're taking through those junctions is correct, and ideally drivers in the left hand lane should be leaving you room to pull across into the lane. But not everyone drives in an ideal fashion, of course.

Registered+
    Thanks

Thanks, my drawing is poor but my angles are not
    I'll keep driving as normal then!

Thanks
    • scaryjim's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Dell Inspiron
      • CPU:
      • Core i5 8250U
      • Memory:
      • 2x 4GB DDR4 2666
      • Storage:
      • Graphics card(s):
      • Radeon R5 230
      • PSU:
      • Battery/Dell brick
      • Case:
      • Dell Inspiron 5570
      • Operating System:
      • Windows 10
      • Monitor(s):
      • 15" 1080p laptop panel

Quote Originally Posted by PowStu View Post
    I'll keep driving as normal then!
    That's fine, but remember that any accident you could avoid is an accident you're partly responsible for! "He was in the wrong place" isn't an excuse for running into someone

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread Information