Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Unsafe drivers

Admin (Ret'd)
    Thanks

Re: Unsafe drivers

Quote Originally Posted by OilSheikh View Post
    -when a driver without insurance hits your car
    Get all the details you can, including photos of the vehicle and, if possible, driver, and the contact detakls of any eitnesses. And notify the police in a very expeditious manner.

-when you suspect a driver does not have a license as their driving is not polished and something that a driver who had driving lessons would never do.
    Not sure there's much you can do, not least because having a licence is not guarantee of either safe or legal driving, never mind 'polished'. You could, I suppose, notify the police but how much notice will be taken of yoyr "suspicion" .... dunno. Not much, I guess.

-when you come across an unsafe driver on the road . e.g. changing lanes on a 50mph dual carriageway without indicating
    Actually, not indicating when changing lanes isn't necessarily a sign of an "unsafe" driver. It might equally well be a sign of either an advanced driver, or even a police driver.

The 'always indicate' rule is the basic version and should be applied to anyone sitting their learner driving test. But a more advanced standard would be to only indicate when other road users would benefit from your signal, providing the signal wouldn't mislead or confuse others. It is NOT always unsafe to not signal. It always depends on circumstances. Don't believe me? Do an IAM course.

2. Received thanks from:

KeyboardDemon (22-03-2015)

The late but legendary peterb - Onward and Upward peterb's Avatar
    Thanks

I have found myself using my horn on numerous occassions and thought I would find out how my other experienced Hexite drivers handle road behaviour of others.
    I think in many years of driving, I can count the number of times I have needed to use my cars horn maybe 20 times, bearing in mind that it's purpose is to let other road users know you are there.

But I tend to drive defensively,marrying to anticipate what other road users might do and what I would do in various circumstances. It sort of comes with experience, although it can be practised.

But generally it isn't worth getting wound up over, keeping my blood pressure low and keeping calm about my perceived transgressions of others is more important to me.
    (\__/)
    (='.'=)
    (")_(")

Been helped or just 'Like' a post? Use the Thanks button!
    My broadband speed - 750 Meganibbles/minute

4. Received thanks from:

Thanks
    • DanceswithUnix's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Asus X470-PRO
      • CPU:
      • 5900X
      • Memory:
      • 32GB 3200MHz ECC
      • Storage:
      • 2TB Linux, 2TB Games (Win 10)
      • Graphics card(s):
      • Asus Strix RX Vega 56
      • PSU:
      • 650W Corsair TX
      • Case:
      • Antec 300
      • Operating System:
      • Fedora 39 + Win 10 Pro 64 (yuk)
      • Monitor(s):
      • Benq XL2730Z 1440p + Iiyama 27" 1440p
      • Internet:
      • Zen 900Mb/900Mb (CityFibre FttP)

Quote Originally Posted by peterb View Post
    I think in many years of driving, I can count the number of times I have needed to use my cars horn maybe 20 times, bearing in mind that it's purpose is to let other road users know you are there.
    I often avoid using the horn when people are obviously unaware that I am there because I figure if they are driving that badly I might startle them and then they might do something even more dangerous

Thanks
    • Flibb's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Gigabyte GA-970A-UD3
      • CPU:
      • AMD FX-6300
      • Memory:
      • 16GB Crucial Ballistix DDR3 PC3-12800
      • Storage:
      • Samsung SSD 840 EVO 250G
      • Graphics card(s):
      • 3GB MSI Radeon HD 7950 Twin Frozr
      • PSU:
      • FSP
      • Operating System:
      • Win7 64bit
      • Monitor(s):
      • Deffl TFT thing

Best thing to do is give them room.

7. Received thanks from:

Seriously casual gamer KeyboardDemon's Avatar
    Thanks
    • KeyboardDemon's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Asus Sabretooth Z77
      • CPU:
      • i7 3770k + Corsair H80 (Refurbed)
      • Memory:
      • 16gb (4x4gb) Corsair Vengence Red (1866mhz) - (Because it looks good in a black mobo)
      • Storage:
      • Crucial M550 SSD 1TB + 2x 500GB Seagate HDDs
      • Graphics card(s):
      • EVGA GTX 980 SC ACX 2.0 (Warranty replacement for 780Ti SC ACX)
      • PSU:
      • EVGA 750 watt SuperNova G2
      • Case:
      • Silverstone RV03
      • Operating System:
      • Windows 10 Pro 64 Bit
      • Monitor(s):
      • Asus Swift PG278Q
      • Internet:
      • BT Infinity (40mbs dl/10mbs ul)

Quote Originally Posted by Saracen View Post
    The 'always indicate' rule is the basic version and should be applied to anyone sitting their learner driving test. But a more advanced standard would be to only indicate when other road users would benefit from your signal, providing the signal wouldn't mislead or confuse others. It is NOT always unsafe to not signal. It always depends on circumstances. Don't believe me? Do an IAM course.
    Picture the scene, you are overtaking a middle lane numpty that's doing 60 on a motorway. You pass and see a safe space in front of him that you can pull in to. You prepare to change lane and are aware of a car fast approaching in your rear mirror. Should you indicate?

If you change lane without indicating, what are the consequences to other road users? Well the guy in the middle lane is doing 60 when you are doing 70, changing lane will not require him to compensate for your actions. The guy behind you will pass with no issues, he might even thank you for clearing his way, but I doubt it.

If you indicate before you start the lane change, it will make no difference to the guy in the middle lane, but what's likely going to happen is that the guy that's behind you will see that he is about to get a clear run and will start to speed up, he will most likely already be passing you before you are fully out of your lane. What would happen now if someone in the left also changes to that same middle lane space that you want to occupy? Most obvious thing would be to pull back into your original lane, but that's not an option when the car that was behind you is now nearly alongside you. In the case where you started a lane change without indicating, the guy behind would not have started to anticipate a clear lane and when that driver in the left starts coming out into the middle you can correct yourself and stay in the right hand lane, the guy behind will most likely think that you were drifting slightly and might even back off a little but he shouldn't have started to try and past you as your intentions would have been unclear to him.

At least, that's how it was explained to me when I went on a defensive driving course as a job requirement at the time, but in short, Saracen is spot on when he talks about using your indicator so if nobody is affected then the indicator becomes a courtesy or potentially a hazard, if other drivers need to take action to accommodate you, then it is a necessity.

But I tend to drive defensively,marrying to anticipate what other road users might do and what I would do in various circumstances. It sort of comes with experience, although it can be practised.

But generally it isn't worth getting wound up over, keeping my blood pressure low and keeping calm about my perceived transgressions of others is more important to me.
    I like this reply. If you read a book called Roadcraft, you will see that this could have come from the first chapter.

Quote Originally Posted by DanceswithUnix View Post
    I often avoid using the horn when people are obviously unaware that I am there because I figure if they are driving that badly I might startle them and then they might do something even more dangerous
    People have forgotten why the horn should be used, it is now seen more as a weapon and many drivers seem to think that the horn is as insulting as winding down your window and shouting obscenities. I tend to prefer to try and drive defensively, I treat everyone on the road as a real threat and try and allow space to all road users, it doesn't always work and I have been involved in one incident in my 27 years of driving, and that's one too many as far as I'm concerned, so I need to step up my game if I'm to avoid the second.

Admin (Ret'd)
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by KeyboardDemon View Post
    .... I tend to prefer to try and drive defensively, I treat everyone on the road as a real threat and try and allow space to all road users, it doesn't always work and I have been involved in one incident in my 27 years of driving, and that's one too many as far as I'm concerned, so I need to step up my game if I'm to avoid the second.
    Once in 27 years is pretty impressive, but I'd advise bearing in mind that sometimes, no amount of upping your game is going to allow you to dodge the boneheads. Like, for instance, the occassion when I was stationary ar red lights, behind several other cars, with a little girl wheeling her bike across the road, when one bonehead coming up behind me spent so much time watching two young women with short skirts that he failed to notice thd red lights, the pedestriand crossing or the queue of stationary cars. I could see him coming, see him not slowing down, and all I could do, literally, was to brace for the forthcoming impact.

How do I know he was a bonehead?

Because his first words (supported by witnesses, the two short-skirted girls) were "wpWhy did you stop?"

They were apparently quite impressed with my self-restraint when I said, a tad sarcastically, "Apart from the red lights, the stationary traffic and the little girl crossing the road .... oh I don't know, it just seemed like a good idea at the time. "

My point is that sometimes, the boneheads find you, despite your best defensiveness .... short of defensively inventing a fast-acting self-teleportation system.

Though if you did develop one, I dunno why you'd still be driving a car in the first place.

Guy
    HEXUS.social member
    Thanks

Guy, I've got some feathers, have you got any tar? And are you free tomorrow?

(Edit... I've got enough for two....)
    I'm sure I could source some and yes, yes I am...

Thanks
    • jimborae's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Gigabyte Aorus Z390 Pro
      • CPU:
      • Core i7 9700K@4.7Ghz
      • Memory:
      • Team Group DDR-3000 32Gig
      • Storage:
      • 1x Samsung 870 Evo 500Gb SSD, 1 x WD Red 4TB
      • Graphics card(s):
      • Gigabyte Radeon 5700XT watercooled
      • PSU:
      • XFX 850W Black Edition
      • Case:
      • Phantek Enthoo Prime
      • Operating System:
      • Windows 10 Pro
      • Monitor(s):
      • 2 xDell 24"
      • Internet:
      • PlusNet 70Mb

Quote Originally Posted by Guy View Post
    I'm sure I could source some and yes, yes I am...
    Me too, time & place please I'm joining this tarring party!
    Last edited by jimborae; 22-03-2015 at 12:08 PM. Reason: Cos I can

Thanks
    • Knoxville's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Intel X58
      • CPU:
      • Intel i7 920
      • Memory:
      • 2GB DDR3
      • Storage:
      • 1TB
      • Graphics card(s):
      • ATi HD3450
      • PSU:
      • Generic
      • Case:
      • Cheap and nasty
      • Operating System:
      • Vista 64
      • Monitor(s):
      • 24" LG LCD
      • Internet:
      • Virgin Media 20mb

Three on one tarring now is it? I guess I'd better find a slightly muddy field with a little hill to park on until this blows over!

Don't get me wrong, I know that odds are one of you will probably be involved in an accident while on your way there with a member of the proliteriat who doesn't understand these time honoured rules of the road and that one of you will probably still be parked in a disabled space or loading bay, thereby evening the odds.

Unless somehow you all have the presence of mind to turn up in X5's, in which case I'll be completely safe

Not that any of that matters of course because I drive something built by BL in the late sixties which means inevitably I will break down before I get there, have to perform a barn yard fix at the side of the road, limp it to the nearest pub country pub where I will then dutifully regail every farmer at the bar with part one of a lengthy lecture series about how Japanese pick-up trucks are expensive and break down all the time and they should all be ashamed for not buying British. Conveniently leaving out the part about the company now being under Indian ownership throughout....

I bet my indicators will still be in full working order though
    Last edited by Knoxville; 22-03-2015 at 03:20 PM. Reason: Not enough stereotypes.

13. Received thanks from:

jimborae (22-03-2015),kalniel (22-03-2015),Phage (22-03-2015)

Thanks
    • MaddAussie's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Asus ROG Strix Z370G
      • CPU:
      • i7 8700k (5.1Ghz)
      • Memory:
      • 16Gb
      • Storage:
      • 500G 960 EVO NMVE
      • Graphics card(s):
      • GTX 1070
      • PSU:
      • Corsair RM650i
      • Case:
      • Corsair Carbide A1r 240
      • Operating System:
      • Win 10
      • Monitor(s):
      • 24" Dell HD + Samsung HD

With general bad driving I usually mutter expletives. If it's dangerous driving I get my passenger to call the police, or has happened on two occasions the police officer passenger calls the police.

Isn't salad what food eats??

Thanks
    • jimborae's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Gigabyte Aorus Z390 Pro
      • CPU:
      • Core i7 9700K@4.7Ghz
      • Memory:
      • Team Group DDR-3000 32Gig
      • Storage:
      • 1x Samsung 870 Evo 500Gb SSD, 1 x WD Red 4TB
      • Graphics card(s):
      • Gigabyte Radeon 5700XT watercooled
      • PSU:
      • XFX 850W Black Edition
      • Case:
      • Phantek Enthoo Prime
      • Operating System:
      • Windows 10 Pro
      • Monitor(s):
      • 2 xDell 24"
      • Internet:
      • PlusNet 70Mb

Quote Originally Posted by Knoxville View Post
    Three on one tarring now is it? I guess I'd better find a slightly muddy field with a little hill to park on until this blows over!

Don't get me wrong, I know that odds are one of you will probably be involved in an accident while on your way there with a member of the proliteriat who doesn't understand these time honoured rules of the road and that one of you will probably still be parked in a disabled space or loading bay, thereby evening the odds.

Unless somehow you all have the presence of mind to turn up in X5's, in which case I'll be completely safe

I think you have us confused with Audi or Range Rover drivers and if you're parked in field on a hill then I'll come in the wife's Sportage which can more than handle a little light off-road shenanigans. As say though if you are in a Dandy Landy then you probably wont even make it out of drive before it dumps the contents of it's radiator, diff and sump followed by an electrical failure that causes a spark which ignites the leaking fuel pipe causing a nice little bonfire which will warm all our cockles.

16. Received thanks from:

Knoxville (22-03-2015)

Banhammer in peace PeterB kalniel's Avatar
    Thanks
    • kalniel's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Gigabyte Z390 Aorus Ultra
      • CPU:
      • Intel i9 9900k
      • Memory:
      • 32GB DDR4 3200 CL16
      • Storage:
      • 1TB Samsung 970Evo+ NVMe
      • Graphics card(s):
      • nVidia GTX 1060 6GB
      • PSU:
      • Seasonic 600W
      • Case:
      • Cooler Master HAF 912
      • Operating System:
      • Win 10 Pro x64
      • Monitor(s):
      • Dell S2721DGF
      • Internet:
      • rubbish

Quote Originally Posted by jimborae View Post
    I think you have us confused with Audi or Range Rover drivers
    *cough* we can source tar as well as anyone!

18. Received thanks from:

Butcher (24-03-2015)

Thanks
    • Knoxville's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Intel X58
      • CPU:
      • Intel i7 920
      • Memory:
      • 2GB DDR3
      • Storage:
      • 1TB
      • Graphics card(s):
      • ATi HD3450
      • PSU:
      • Generic
      • Case:
      • Cheap and nasty
      • Operating System:
      • Vista 64
      • Monitor(s):
      • 24" LG LCD
      • Internet:
      • Virgin Media 20mb

Quote Originally Posted by jimborae View Post
    I think you have us confused with Audi or Range Rover drivers and if you're parked in field on a hill then I'll come in the wife's Sportage which can more than handle a little light off-road shenanigans. As say though if you are in a Dandy Landy then you probably wont even make it out of drive before it dumps the contents of it's radiator, diff and sump followed by an electrical failure that causes a spark which ignites the leaking fuel pipe causing a nice little bonfire which will warm all our cockles.
    We don't talk about Range Rovers and their owners, they're like that cousin who you haven't seen for ten years who shows up to a funeral wearing a baseball cap, text's through the service, Instagrams the wake and talks about nothing but their last skiing holiday even though you didn't ask and they never really left the lodge. What makes it really sad is that when you were kids they used to be sort of cool too.... *sigh* It's all that girl Evoques fault, marrying her really changed him.

Nor will I be drawn into a debate about the Landys ability to retain it's vital fluids. I mean yeah, every once in a while it likes to mark its territory. Who doesn't? The cooling system is another matter entirely and is utterly beyond reproach and I will not hear otherwise. Jaeger made instruments of such a high quality that in the event the temperature guage implies you might be about to overheat you simply tap the gauge repeatedly until it gives you a better reading, genius. As for the setting itself on fire thing it's only really done that once over the last couple of years and to be honest I think it's akin to organ rejection, except with Land Rovers they reject technology they don't yet understand.

20. Received thanks from:

Dareos (23-03-2015),jimborae (23-03-2015)

Thanks
    • PowerPie5000's system
      • Motherboard:
      • MSI MPG B550 Gaming Carbon WiFi
      • CPU:
      • AMD Ryzen 5 3600 + Noctua NH-U12A Cooler
      • Memory:
      • 32GB (4X8GB) Crucial Ballistix DDR4 3600 CL16
      • Storage:
      • 512GB Sabrent Rocket M.2 NVME SSD + 3TB Toshiba P300 SATA HDD
      • Graphics card(s):
      • 8GB AMD Radeon RX 5700 - PowerColor Red Dragon
      • PSU:
      • 750W Riotoro Enigma G2 Modular PSU (Seasonic Focus Plus Gold)
      • Case:
      • Phanteks Eclipse P400A
      • Operating System:
      • Windows 10 64-bit
      • Monitor(s):
      • 27" LG UltraGear 27GL850-B - 144Hz 1440P Nano IPS
      • Internet:
      • TalkTalk Fibre 76Mb

I find it's usually cabbies and the elderly that pull stupid stunts on the roads around here. Cutting people up, tailgating, no indicating and generally not having a clue on roundabouts (usually the elderly). I've had to use my horn plenty of times, but I recently bought a Skoda Octavia and was a bit embarrassed when I first had to use the horn... It sounds quite "lady like" .

Thanks
    • TAKTAK's system
      • Motherboard:
      • ASUS ROG STRIX B450-F GAMING
      • CPU:
      • Ryzen 7 3700X
      • Memory:
      • 16GB Corsair Vengeance LPX 3200MHz
      • Storage:
      • 500GB Samsung 970 EVO
      • Graphics card(s):
      • 5700 XT 50th Anniversary
      • PSU:
      • Be Quiet SFX-L 600W
      • Case:
      • Lian Li PC-O11 Mini
      • Operating System:
      • Windows 10
      • Monitor(s):
      • LG Ultrawide
      • Internet:
      • 200Mb FTTP

I think I've only used the horn in my car twice and one of those was accidental while reversing in a car-park and 'palming' the steering. The other while chucking it into reverse, to inform the guy who stopped in a narrow road and then started reversing at speed without checking mirrors. I generally drive expecting people to be erratic. I also generally position myself with vision of a few cars ahead in order to keep an eye on brake lights and subsequently rarely use brakes on motorways or A roads. I generally don't give a reaction, most people realise what they have done and are apologetic, those that don't are likely to be antagonised and become of greater danger in that state so it is best to ignore them. No amount of gesturing is going to alter history and only serves as further distraction to the perpetrator.

But bad drivers? Depends how you categorise 'bad'; as stated, not indicating isn't always a 'bad' attribute.

I've never had an incident with an uninsured driver, the only incident I have had is someone reversing into the rear quarter in a car park while I was stationary. He seemed a tad bemused as to how he'd done it as I have a bright orange car... In answer to the question, I'd go with the standard protocol of getting as many details as possible. Too much doesn't exist, too little could end up costing you money.
    Post Counts and Other Rewards, Rules, Folding@Home, Fans: Push vs Pull vs Push-Pull, Corsair PSU OEMs.

Quote Originally Posted by razer121 View Post
    Would you like me to enter you? it would be my pleasure
    TAKTAK.co.uk

23. Received thanks from:

kalniel (23-03-2015)

Banhammer in peace PeterB kalniel's Avatar
    Thanks
    • kalniel's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Gigabyte Z390 Aorus Ultra
      • CPU:
      • Intel i9 9900k
      • Memory:
      • 32GB DDR4 3200 CL16
      • Storage:
      • 1TB Samsung 970Evo+ NVMe
      • Graphics card(s):
      • nVidia GTX 1060 6GB
      • PSU:
      • Seasonic 600W
      • Case:
      • Cooler Master HAF 912
      • Operating System:
      • Win 10 Pro x64
      • Monitor(s):
      • Dell S2721DGF
      • Internet:
      • rubbish

Bravo taktak

I have used the horn a few more times, but it's the same circumstance - namely to let someone know I was there when they obviously hadn't seen me and were about to move into where I was. Used in such a manner it's never yet been greeted with anything other than thankfulness by the other driver!

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread Information