• Case:
      • Haf-x tower
      • Monitor(s):
      • Dell u2410
      • Internet:
      • broadband with Plusnet

Re: First conviction for middle lane hogging

Quote Originally Posted by DanceswithUnix View Post
    I don't remember there ever being a mention of a fast lane. IIRC there is an inside lane, an overtaking lane, and an outside overtaking lane. Feel free to post a scan from your highway code book though, would love to see that written down.

The surface on lanes changes regularly as a way of keeping drivers awake, the road noise is fine, your tyres are not being damaged.

Changing lanes is not dangerous as long as you are observant and follow the rules.
    Well I read the highway code in 1957 to pass my test and thought it odd then as always thought the outside lane should be the fast lane as in practice that's where the fast cars are.
    2nd computer gigabyte P965ds3p, 7770 E2140@2.9ghz, corsair HX520 6 years stable, replaced now with E8400@3.9ghz and will overclock more when I'm bored.

Seriously casual gamer KeyboardDemon's Avatar
    Thanks
    • KeyboardDemon's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Asus Sabretooth Z77
      • CPU:
      • i7 3770k + Corsair H80 (Refurbed)
      • Memory:
      • 16gb (4x4gb) Corsair Vengence Red (1866mhz) - (Because it looks good in a black mobo)
      • Storage:
      • Crucial M550 SSD 1TB + 2x 500GB Seagate HDDs
      • Graphics card(s):
      • EVGA GTX 980 SC ACX 2.0 (Warranty replacement for 780Ti SC ACX)
      • PSU:
      • EVGA 750 watt SuperNova G2
      • Case:
      • Silverstone RV03
      • Operating System:
      • Windows 10 Pro 64 Bit
      • Monitor(s):
      • Asus Swift PG278Q
      • Internet:
      • BT Infinity (40mbs dl/10mbs ul)

Quote Originally Posted by excalibur2 View Post
    Well I read the highway code in 1957 to pass my test and thought it odd then as always thought the outside lane should be the fast lane as in practice that's where the fast cars are.
    It's always struck me as odd that people refer to lanes on the motorway as fast or slow as the National Speed Limit applies to all lanes and only varies according to the class of vehicle that's being driven, the other exception here is that certain vehicles aren't allowed to drive in certain lanes unless under instruction to do so when there are road works or lane closures etc...

Thanks
    • excalibur2's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Z77-d3h
      • CPU:
      • Intel 2500k @4.4ghz
      • Memory:
      • 2X4gb Corsair Vengeance
      • Storage:
      • WD 2tb
      • Graphics card(s):
      • R290
      • PSU:
      • Coolermaster 750
      • Case:
      • Haf-x tower
      • Monitor(s):
      • Dell u2410
      • Internet:
      • broadband with Plusnet

Quote Originally Posted by KeyboardDemon View Post
    It's always struck me as odd that people refer to lanes on the motorway as fast or slow as the National Speed Limit applies to all lanes and only varies according to the class of vehicle that's being driven, the other exception here is that certain vehicles aren't allowed to drive in certain lanes unless under instruction to do so when there are road works or lane closures etc...
    The inside lane on motorways can be more dangerous e.g. 1-4am and needs more concentration because as mentioned in that lane the road surface can be chewed up by lorries and there is always the chance of hitting something traveling slow because of a mechanical problem and lights not working properly or even one case a pedestrian (or was it a cyclist) was killed (probably drunk)....and we all know in theory you should give 100% concentration h'mm but a slight wobble\weave for some reason is safer in the middle lane and that's probably why many prefer driving in it.
    2nd computer gigabyte P965ds3p, 7770 E2140@2.9ghz, corsair HX520 6 years stable, replaced now with E8400@3.9ghz and will overclock more when I'm bored.

Banhammer in peace PeterB kalniel's Avatar
    Thanks
    • kalniel's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Gigabyte Z390 Aorus Ultra
      • CPU:
      • Intel i9 9900k
      • Memory:
      • 32GB DDR4 3200 CL16
      • Storage:
      • 1TB Samsung 970Evo+ NVMe
      • Graphics card(s):
      • nVidia GTX 1060 6GB
      • PSU:
      • Seasonic 600W
      • Case:
      • Cooler Master HAF 912
      • Operating System:
      • Win 10 Pro x64
      • Monitor(s):
      • Dell S2721DGF
      • Internet:
      • rubbish

Wobble is not safer in middle lane as you potentially have traffic either side of you, a wobble in lane one has at least one free hard shoulder. But if you wobble then you shouldn't be driving.

I'd also disagree that lane one is more dangerous. In lane one you have two lanes to overtake in, allowing it to cope with a wider range of speed differentials - say a faster car approaches you it can move to lane two, while an even faster one can move to lane three to over take both. Had you been in lane two then the first overtaking car would have had to go to lane three, and the third car would have no-where to go and possibly collide with either you (more serious because of the speed differential) or the car in lane three. Of course, they should be concentrating because they're approaching a car from behind, but if it's 1-4am and concentration is an issue as you state...

Thanks
    • excalibur2's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Z77-d3h
      • CPU:
      • Intel 2500k @4.4ghz
      • Memory:
      • Storage:
      • WD 2tb
      • Graphics card(s):
      • R290
      • PSU:
      • Coolermaster 750
      • Case:
      • Haf-x tower
      • Monitor(s):
      • Dell u2410
      • Internet:
      • broadband with Plusnet

Quote Originally Posted by kalniel View Post
    Wobble is not safer in middle lane as you potentially have traffic either side of you, a wobble in lane one has at least one free hard shoulder. But if you wobble then you shouldn't be driving.

I'd also disagree that lane one is more dangerous. In lane one you have two lanes to overtake in, allowing it to cope with a wider range of speed differentials - say a faster car approaches you it can move to lane two, while an even faster one can move to lane three to over take both. Had you been in lane two then the first overtaking car would have had to go to lane three, and the third car would have no-where to go and possibly collide with either you (more serious because of the speed differential) or the car in lane three. Of course, they should be concentrating because they're approaching a car from behind, but if it's 1-4am and concentration is an issue as you state...
    H'mm so you obey the highwaycode\law to the letter in that traveling on a motorway at say 3am at 80 mph you would stay on the inside lane assuming the road is quite empty.....and I don't know of anyone except a robot that can keep in precisely equal distance in between the two white lines (or cat's eyes)..even an experienced driver can move to just over a white line if distracted by so many reasons (even for 1 sec) and I sure everyone here hasn't been a perfect driver 100% of the time.
    But a slight wobble on the inside lane is dangerous as people have been killed and vehicles damaged that have broken down and on the emergency lane...so if you do break down you are advised to leave your vehicle.

Thanks
    • DanceswithUnix's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Asus X470-PRO
      • CPU:
      • 5900X
      • Memory:
      • 32GB 3200MHz ECC
      • Storage:
      • 2TB Linux, 2TB Games (Win 10)
      • Graphics card(s):
      • Asus Strix RX Vega 56
      • PSU:
      • 650W Corsair TX
      • Case:
      • Antec 300
      • Operating System:
      • Fedora 39 + Win 10 Pro 64 (yuk)
      • Monitor(s):
      • Benq XL2730Z 1440p + Iiyama 27" 1440p
      • Internet:
      • Zen 900Mb/900Mb (CityFibre FttP)

So that would be a pre 70 speed limit edition then I guess? Best not rely on what it said too much now

My first copy was from the 1980's but I think it is best to read through a new copy every decade or so.

H'mm so you obey the highwaycode\law to the letter in that traveling on a motorway at say 3am at 80 mph you would stay on the inside lane assuming the road is quite empty.....and I don't know of anyone except a robot that can keep in precisely equal distance in between the two white lines (or cat's eyes)..even an experienced driver can move to just over a white line if distracted by so many reasons (even for 1 sec) and I sure everyone here hasn't been a perfect driver 100% of the time.
    But a slight wobble on the inside lane is dangerous as people have been killed and vehicles damaged that have broken down and on the emergency lane...so if you do break down you are advised to leave your vehicle.
    Leaving your vehicle on breakdown is different. That is from people assuming that your car on the hard shoulder is in lane one and in a moment of concentration loss aiming for the back of it, specially if it has lights on.

If you do need a robot to help stay in lane, then I believe Mercedes started providing one about a decade ago, and now it seems quite widespread technology: https://www.carwow.co.uk/blog/lane-assist-explained

Banhammer in peace PeterB kalniel's Avatar
    Thanks
    • kalniel's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Gigabyte Z390 Aorus Ultra
      • CPU:
      • Intel i9 9900k
      • Memory:
      • 32GB DDR4 3200 CL16
      • Storage:
      • 1TB Samsung 970Evo+ NVMe
      • Graphics card(s):
      • nVidia GTX 1060 6GB
      • PSU:
      • Seasonic 600W
      • Case:
      • Cooler Master HAF 912
      • Operating System:
      • Win 10 Pro x64
      • Monitor(s):
      • Dell S2721DGF
      • Internet:
      • rubbish

H'mm so you obey the highwaycode\law to the letter in that traveling on a motorway at say 3am at 80 mph you would stay on the inside lane assuming the road is quite empty.....
    Absolutely. It's by far the safest option. Never know when you might meet an idiot in a Porsche going over a ton at that time of night. I want to give them the best chance of not colliding with me possible.

Typically you will encounter far more cars travelling on the roads than stationary off them. But of course, you will be paying attention and making sure to give room to cars stopped on the hard shoulder.

Thanks
    • DanceswithUnix's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Asus X470-PRO
      • CPU:
      • 5900X
      • Memory:
      • 32GB 3200MHz ECC
      • Storage:
      • 2TB Linux, 2TB Games (Win 10)
      • Graphics card(s):
      • Asus Strix RX Vega 56
      • PSU:
      • 650W Corsair TX
      • Case:
      • Antec 300
      • Operating System:
      • Fedora 39 + Win 10 Pro 64 (yuk)
      • Monitor(s):
      • Benq XL2730Z 1440p + Iiyama 27" 1440p
      • Internet:
      • Zen 900Mb/900Mb (CityFibre FttP)

Quote Originally Posted by kalniel View Post
    Absolutely. It's by far the safest option. Never know when you might meet an idiot in a Porsche going over a ton at that time of night. I want to give them the best chance of not colliding with me possible.
    Once had a police car go past me on the M40 in the early hours. I was up at the speed limit, and they literally went past me like I was stationary. I would be surprised if they were doing less than 130! That's a couple of glances in the rear view mirror between them being headlamps in the distance and right on top of you. So yes, you can't make any assumptions can you.

Seriously casual gamer KeyboardDemon's Avatar
    Thanks
    • KeyboardDemon's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Asus Sabretooth Z77
      • CPU:
      • i7 3770k + Corsair H80 (Refurbed)
      • Memory:
      • 16gb (4x4gb) Corsair Vengence Red (1866mhz) - (Because it looks good in a black mobo)
      • Storage:
      • Crucial M550 SSD 1TB + 2x 500GB Seagate HDDs
      • Graphics card(s):
      • EVGA GTX 980 SC ACX 2.0 (Warranty replacement for 780Ti SC ACX)
      • PSU:
      • EVGA 750 watt SuperNova G2
      • Case:
      • Silverstone RV03
      • Operating System:
      • Windows 10 Pro 64 Bit
      • Monitor(s):
      • Asus Swift PG278Q
      • Internet:
      • BT Infinity (40mbs dl/10mbs ul)

Would I stay to the left 100% of the time in those conditions, well no, I would move in to lane 2 when approaching a junction to allow traffic joining the motorway to enter freely and then move back once I've passed the junction.

Also, maybe it might just be down to my car choices, I find that straying a little off line doesn't mean I'll stray out of my lane, maybe you should consider a smaller car. I tend to find that the lanes on a motorway are usually wide enough to allow for a small margin and then the vibrations through my tyres as I drive over some cats eyes will usually warn me to correct my course before I've fully left the lane I'm in. Which is handy really as I wouldn't want to drive straight in to one of the many parked cars you talk about while the owner stands next to the hard shoulder watching as their car is destroyed by mine.

The late but legendary peterb - Onward and Upward peterb's Avatar
    Thanks

A bit confusing e.g. the speed limit is 50 mph and you are doing 55 mph in the middle lane..then do you still have to pull over to the inside lane if empty as everything passing you on the outside (or inside) is breaking the law.
    If the speed limit is 50 and you are doing 55, you are breaking the law anyway.
    (\__/)
    (='.'=)
    (")_(")

Been helped or just 'Like' a post? Use the Thanks button!
    My broadband speed - 750 Meganibbles/minute

Admin (Ret'd)
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by peterb View Post
    If the speed limit is 50 and you are doing 55, you are breaking the law anyway.
    Yup, though if your speedometer says you're doing 55, you very possibly aren't breaking the law, and almost certainly aren't doing 55.

Thanks
    • excalibur2's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Z77-d3h
      • CPU:
      • Intel 2500k @4.4ghz
      • Memory:
      • Storage:
      • WD 2tb
      • Graphics card(s):
      • R290
      • PSU:
      • Coolermaster 750
      • Case:
      • Haf-x tower
      • Monitor(s):
      • Dell u2410
      • Internet:
      • broadband with Plusnet

Quote Originally Posted by Saracen View Post
    Yup, though if your speedometer says you're doing 55, you very possibly aren't breaking the law, and almost certainly aren't doing 55.
    Indeed and I believe that the speedometer is 10% out (well I suppose there must be some cars that are accurate) and is allowed for, also I believe that the police and speed cameras will turn a blind eye to anyone doing 70-80 mph on the motorway...of course driving safely

I'm Very Important
    Thanks
    • Domestic_Ginger's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Gigabyte GA-MA770-UD3
      • CPU:
      • Phenom II X2 550
      • Memory:
      • 4GB DDR2
      • Storage:
      • F3 500gb
      • Graphics card(s):
      • PSU:
      • Corsair 550vx
      • Case:
      • NZXT beta evo
      • Operating System:
      • W7
      • Monitor(s):
      • G2222HDL

Once had a police car go past me on the M40 in the early hours. I was up at the speed limit, and they literally went past me like I was stationary. I would be surprised if they were doing less than 130! That's a couple of glances in the rear view mirror between them being headlamps in the distance and right on top of you. So yes, you can't make any assumptions can you.
    Hehe

While my wife overtook a Porsche in the middle lane we were undertaken by a Citroen Picasso in lane 1.5 to 2.5. That came out of nowhere and then disappeared in no time.

Bagnaj97

also I believe that the police and speed cameras will turn a blind eye to anyone doing 70-80 mph on the motorway...of course driving safely
    The Association of Chief Police Officers (ACPO) has issued speed enforcement policy guidance, which suggests that enforcement will normally occur when a driver exceeds the speed limit by a particular margin. -
    http://www.cps.gov.uk/legal/p_to_r/r...notices/#speed

However those are just guidelines; you're still technically breaking the law going just 1 mph over the limit.

15. Received thanks from:

KeyboardDemon (23-06-2015)

Thanks
    • excalibur2's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Z77-d3h
      • CPU:
      • Intel 2500k @4.4ghz
      • Memory:
      • Storage:
      • WD 2tb
      • Graphics card(s):
      • R290
      • PSU:
      • Coolermaster 750
      • Case:
      • Haf-x tower
      • Monitor(s):
      • Dell u2410
      • Internet:
      • broadband with Plusnet

So that would be a pre 70 speed limit edition then I guess? Best not rely on what it said too much now

My first copy was from the 1980's but I think it is best to read through a new copy every decade or so.

[/url]
    Well you are right, but I rely on commonsense and experience but do look up now and again on new road signs or ones I've forgotten.

Anyway my son thinks I'm a danger on the motorway with my 250cc motorcycle...as it cruises at 50mph and of course I keep in the left hand lane, but he said your are danger as everyone drives fast now and you are forcing lorries, cars etc to pull out to overtake you...h'mmm well I only use the motorway when I have to.

The late but legendary peterb - Onward and Upward peterb's Avatar
    Thanks

Indeed and I believe that the speedometer is 10% out (well I suppose there must be some cars that are accurate) and is allowed for, also I believe that the police and speed cameras will turn a blind eye to anyone doing 70-80 mph on the motorway...of course driving safely
    Speeding is an absolute offence, you are either cmpliant or not. The discretion is in whether to prosecute. Your speedometer needs to be accurate within 10% at 30mph, but an inaccurate speedometer is not a defence, although it might be mitigation. It is also why the discretionary advice for prosecution is 10% +2.
    (\__/)
    (='.'=)
    (")_(")

Been helped or just 'Like' a post? Use the Thanks button!
    My broadband speed - 750 Meganibbles/minute

18. Received thanks from:

KeyboardDemon (23-06-2015)

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread Information