• Operating System:
      • Fedora 39 + Win 10 Pro 64 (yuk)
      • Monitor(s):
      • Benq XL2730Z 1440p + Iiyama 27" 1440p
      • Internet:
      • Zen 900Mb/900Mb (CityFibre FttP)

Re: First conviction for middle lane hogging

Quote Originally Posted by peterb View Post
    Your speedometer needs to be accurate within 10% at 30mph, but an inaccurate speedometer is not a defence, although it might be mitigation. It is also why the discretionary advice for prosecution is 10% +2.
    Only for commercial vehicles, which I think are allowed +10%-0%

The consumer speedometer regs are odder than that. It can't lie to you about speeding, so it must not say you are doing 30mph when you are actually doing 31mph. It is however quite OK if when doing 30mph for the speedo to say you are doing 60mph, because it can err on the "safe" side as much as it likes telling you to slow down. Most cars therefore err on the safe side a bit, some quite a lot.

So I think if you claim you are speeding because of a faulty speedometer, then that is admitting an unsafe to drive car which could be another offence

Banhammer in peace PeterB kalniel's Avatar
    Thanks
    • kalniel's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Gigabyte Z390 Aorus Ultra
      • CPU:
      • Intel i9 9900k
      • Memory:
      • 32GB DDR4 3200 CL16
      • Storage:
      • 1TB Samsung 970Evo+ NVMe
      • Graphics card(s):
      • nVidia GTX 1060 6GB
      • PSU:
      • Seasonic 600W
      • Case:
      • Cooler Master HAF 912
      • Operating System:
      • Win 10 Pro x64
      • Monitor(s):
      • Dell S2721DGF
      • Internet:
      • rubbish

GPS is handy for checking speeds. Have to say my most recent car (A3) is usually within 1mph of the real speed, which is a bit of a change as last A3 had a little more leeway, and the Astra before it even more (though that's partly because I changed tyre sizes).

Admin (Ret'd)
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by DanceswithUnix View Post
    Only for commercial vehicles, which I think are allowed +10%-0%

The consumer speedometer regs are odder than that. It can't lie to you about speeding, so it must not say you are doing 30mph when you are actually doing 31mph. It is however quite OK if when doing 30mph for the speedo to say you are doing 60mph, because it can err on the "safe" side as much as it likes telling you to slow down. Most cars therefore err on the safe side a bit, some quite a lot.

So I think if you claim you are speeding because of a faulty speedometer, then that is admitting an unsafe to drive car which could be another offence
    Actually, it wouldn't be OK for the speedo to misreport 30 as 60. Not by a VERY large margin.

The actual speed must NEVER be more than indicated speed, that's true.

But the reported speed mustn't be more than 10% + 4kph of TRUE SPEED.

In other words (well, formula)

0 < V1-V2 < (V2/10) + 4kph

where :-

V1= indicated speed, and
    V2 = true speed

And note, where I've used 'less than' symbol <, the actual formula uses "less than or equal to" but I don't have that symbol.

The legislative basis for this is a bit arcane, but UK legislation in speedo requirements refers back to an EEC directive (75/443/EEC) for the tolerance definitions, and the above formula is a direct quote.

But, note also, this is really for defining the specification of speedos to be installed, and the conditions under which those tolerances apply relate to the test environment, which also stipulates tyre requirements, tyre pressure, ambient temperature and even road surface conditions.

So really, our 'on the road' situation is, as someone (PeterB I think) said, speeding is an absolute offence, and if you're over the limit, then you're committing the offence, and speedos are required to comply with those tolerances under test conditions, which aren't necessarily met under real road use, but the speedo is compliant if it complies under those carefully defined test conditions.

Admin (Ret'd)
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by peterb View Post
    Speeding is an absolute offence, you are either cmpliant or not. The discretion is in whether to prosecute. Your speedometer needs to be accurate within 10% at 30mph, but an inaccurate speedometer is not a defence, although it might be mitigation. It is also why the discretionary advice for prosecution is 10% +2.
    Agree with all except the last sentence (and 10%-ish). The real reason is about tolerances in the metrology process.

For instance, how do you measure "true" speed, to compare the speedo's indicated speed? Answer, as with all metrology, you use a known, calibrated reference. But how accurate does that reference need to be? Answer .... +/- 1%.

So there's a chunk of variability right there.

Also, consistency over time. As speedo readings are based on a set of known gearings and the rotational diameter of the wheel/tyre, it will be affected (albeit by a smallish amount) by both tyre wear and tyre pressure, the latter of which can be affected by temperature. More variability.

So there's always going to be a degree of inaccuracy, and indeed variability over time, in how the indicated speed relates to actual vehicle speed, due to the inability of tne measurement system to accurately report vehicle speed, at all times, under all real-world circumstances.

In many ways, GPS-based speed readings are more accurate BUT fail in one essential way, at least. They aren't an indication of current speed. There's always a lag, albeit usually brief. They're also somewhat artificial, as they're based on distance calculated by comparing distance already travelled based on doppler effects between two accurately timed points, but take account only of 2D movement in a 3D environment, and worse, go through a normalisation process in the SatNav to give a usable display of data. That said, generally, it's a more accurate indication of speed, most of the time, but it's dodgy to rely on it.

Personally, I keep aware of the SatNav speed (when it's in the car) but I tend to drive to the car speedo, not the SatNav. That way, I figure to keep speeding convictions to a minimum. So far, that minimum is less than 1.

Thanks
    • Biscuit's system
      • Motherboard:
      • MSI B450M Mortar
      • CPU:
      • AMD 2700X (Be Quiet! Dark Rock 3)
      • Memory:
      • 16GB Patriot Viper 2 @ 3466MHz
      • Storage:
      • 500GB WD Black
      • Graphics card(s):
      • Sapphire R9 290X Vapor-X
      • PSU:
      • Seasonic Focus Gold 750W
      • Case:
      • Lian Li PC-V359
      • Operating System:
      • Windows 10 x64
      • Internet:
      • BT Infinity 80/20

Quote Originally Posted by BobF64 View Post
    What made me frown was

Surely, that says as much about those 6 drivers as it does the "lane hogger".

Last time I came up behind a slower moving vehicle on the motorway, I slowed down in plenty of time, then over took as soon as I was able.
    What you are saying you do, and what the police are saying the other drivers do could easily be the basically the same thing written differently. Without knowing his speed or the speed of the 6 motorists in question you have no idea on the circumstances. Their language is is very blunt, which is typical fo the police, but not indicative of poor driving.

6. Received thanks from:

KeyboardDemon (24-06-2015)

Seriously casual gamer KeyboardDemon's Avatar
    Thanks
    • KeyboardDemon's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Asus Sabretooth Z77
      • CPU:
      • i7 3770k + Corsair H80 (Refurbed)
      • Memory:
      • 16gb (4x4gb) Corsair Vengence Red (1866mhz) - (Because it looks good in a black mobo)
      • Storage:
      • Crucial M550 SSD 1TB + 2x 500GB Seagate HDDs
      • Graphics card(s):
      • EVGA GTX 980 SC ACX 2.0 (Warranty replacement for 780Ti SC ACX)
      • PSU:
      • EVGA 750 watt SuperNova G2
      • Case:
      • Silverstone RV03
      • Operating System:
      • Windows 10 Pro 64 Bit
      • Monitor(s):
      • Asus Swift PG278Q
      • Internet:
      • BT Infinity (40mbs dl/10mbs ul)

Quote Originally Posted by Biscuit View Post
    What you are saying you do, and what the police are saying the other drivers do could easily be the basically the same thing written differently. Without knowing his speed or the speed of the 6 motorists in question you have no idea on the circumstances. Their language is is very blunt, which is typical fo the police, but not indicative of poor driving.
    Good point, well made.

Thanks
    • DanceswithUnix's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Asus X470-PRO
      • CPU:
      • 5900X
      • Memory:
      • 32GB 3200MHz ECC
      • Storage:
      • 2TB Linux, 2TB Games (Win 10)
      • Graphics card(s):
      • Asus Strix RX Vega 56
      • PSU:
      • 650W Corsair TX
      • Case:
      • Antec 300
      • Operating System:
      • Fedora 39 + Win 10 Pro 64 (yuk)
      • Monitor(s):
      • Benq XL2730Z 1440p + Iiyama 27" 1440p
      • Internet:
      • Zen 900Mb/900Mb (CityFibre FttP)

I like that he said he was that he was in the middle lane because it was windy.

Is is just me that thinks if it is too windy for your van at 60mph, then you should perhaps be doing 50mph?

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread Information