• EVGA Supernova G2 1000W
      • Case:
      • Lian Li V3000 Plus
      • Operating System:
      • Win11
      • Monitor(s):
      • Gigabyte M32U
      • Internet:
      • 900Mbps Gigaclear WHOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!!!!

Re: Speeding fines change/increase TODAY, Monday 24/4/17

Quote Originally Posted by CAT-THE-FIFTH View Post
    Then basically you are saying its a pointless - this is not going to do anything.
    Speeding is not the cause of incidents.
    However, it is one factor that limits the response times of drivers and is the origin of the odds at which said drivers find themselves with the rest of the traffic.
    There is a range within which a vehicle is expected to operate under certain conditions, that allow other road users to factor in expected behaviours and make use of forward planning. By speeding and breaking the rules of the road, you rob them of that forward planning and even the most advanced driver training goes out the window as much as if you break the laws of physics.

Since speed is the variable most readily governed and regulated, it is being reinforced.

Yes, there are other, perhaps bigger factors, but I'd like to see you enact road laws that govern the human mistake...

If they want people to be better drivers they should have a better driving test and have it more frequently.
    Great... who is going to administer all the changes, force everyone to retest and upgrade... but more importantly, who is going to pay for it and where do you think that money is going?
    And when people cannot pass the new tests, what then?
    And what about all those driving without licences anyway? I know a couple of people who went decades before they got found out and had to take their test... one even had insurance, believe it or not!

You mean like in the decades past when we built more houses - stop excuse making for poor decision making. They are part of the government - stop being apathetic.
    Balfour Beatty are part of the government?
    Or you mean Theresa May and her Civil Servants are the ones who need to be doing the building?
    No, quite simply, it is down to privately owned companies making money by skewing the brief, and already overpopulated towns not needing yet more housing to attract even more people... especially since the roads are also insanely crowded.

So who let them go that way - instead of excuse making for decades of not building houses,maybe you should be asking why they are panic building them now??
    No-one let them. They just decided and forced the sale of farming land, which they can apparently do...
    But heck, it's only countryside, right? Not like we grow any food, maintain nature or anything, especially since we're driving diesels, too...

So who privatised the public transport
    Da guv'mint...

other countries seem to be able to make public transport more affordable,yet in the UK it seems some massive task.
    Because the UK are stupid and voted in Da Guv'mint.

This is what happens when an important public utility is sold off for short term gain and not used for the public interest.
    Err... yes, I know. I work for one.

So whose fault is that?? The government can stop foreign property speculation if they wanted - they could have pushed more building of "less luxury" homes and more affordable ones.
    I don't believe they can, or if they are able I'm sure there will be a UK-based shell corporation somewhere. Also, I wouldn't call 2-bed starter homes "luxury". Half don't even have gardens. That's another Richhunt you're looking for.

Why do you think they default on their rent money - why are the rents so high??
    They default because owning the latest iPhone or buying drugs is more important than having a roof over your head, based on most of the bailiff programmes... And rents are so high because people keep defaulting and/or wrecking the place and Landlords have ever-increasing maintenance and admin costs with which to contend and protect themselves from being shafted by ignorant, abusive tenants who think the world owes them something.

Lack of housing,meaning high mortgages and an underclass of millions of people who are trapped in relatively low paid jobs due to way the job market is orientated.
    Plenty of housing around the UK. My brother-in-law recently bought (to rent out) six houses up North and two in Ireland, for a total of less than £400,000.
    Ownership isn't everything, though. The UK is especially fixated on owning, while a lot of Europe still rents.
    Plenty of jobs around, too - We have pages of vacancies right here... no-one wants to work for a living any more, though.

Do you not think,that us posting on a tech forum about our hobbies,makes us someone better off in some ways??
    I don't go down the pub (or even drink).
    I don't smoke.
    I don't do drugs.
    I drive a tatty old diesel car from 2003 that I only got because it was free, because it was broken and even now it's still borderline MoT fail.
    I only have a PC as good as that there on the left because some silly young girl wasn't paying attention, while doing 80mph in a 40 and slammed into the back of me and I was fortunate that she was insured...
    So... Better off than who or what, exactly? Do you think I'm better off than "the poor people" just because I post on a tech forum? I live from paycheck to paycheck, usually from the bottom of an overdraft. I ain't exactly the richest rogue in Reading...

So what?? I have mates who live in Cambridge,Oxford and London - try places outside of the place you live,and see how affordable housing is relative to pay for a lot of people.
    I'd get the same pay wherever I went, outside of the London Weighting zone. That's what the Union is for and why commuting is so popular. We have staff who commute 3-4 hours each way, every day, because housing is cheaper and it means they can buy a £40,000 car.
    Reading is still very expensive, especially given what you get for your money.

You must be in some weird place if you first say you have a £3000000 house and there are £180 houses.
    Oh no, I made a typo, what will I do. My whole argument is defeated over missing a letter K.... But then you seem to think I said I actually own a 3mil house, despite me saying quite clearly I not only just rent it, but that the house is only half a mil... but carry on.

Very little Affordable housing is down to the fact there are not enough houses
    Ridiculous.
    There's a load round here, sat empty. People just don't want to live in them. They want to be closer to London.
    There's loads of empty offices, too.
    You can even make money from spotting empty properties, because there are hundreds of thousands all over the place.

People need somewhere to live,and it is entirely the fault of multiple governments to try and not build more affordable houses
    Yes, yes, loads of empty properties, so lets build more and let them sit empty, too...

Then you have the ripple effect of Londoners moving outwards pushing local prices up even more meaning locals get pushed out even more. You want to know why so many areas voted Brexit and populist parties?? This is part of the problem.
    London is PACKED and the people have to go somewhere. That's no reason to Brexit, because they'd still spread out.

OFC,what some of you don't get is that they are trying this out,ie,fines based on income,to see if it sticks. As time progresses I expect more and more digressions to have fines charged this way.
    Well apparently it works in Scandinavia, so it can't be all bad...!

Rich -hunt! LMAO - why are you trying so hard to deflect about the fine caps?? The fine caps only help high earners who speed more.
    Because I'm stonkingly rich and don't care about you peasants, because I have a fleet of private helicopters. Cars are for poor people!!

Nah, they still have to pay out money. The more they speed, the more they pay in the end and, if caught enough times, they get banned just like everyone else.
    Worry instead about the ones who already don't declare their income, drive a slightly battered Beemer at 140+ and really don't care if they kill you, because you are in their way and they're so important they don't need indicators...

You do realise most of my mates are relatively well off,right - yet you seem to not really understand 50% of a poorer persons income for 1MPH extra is probably going to be less of a hit due to cap of a bigger earning person.
    So?
    No less of a hit than to someone with no provable income, like the local drug dealers who are officially on 'corner shop' wages...

You seem to be strangely quiet about the cap.
    I really don't care about the cap. Those people who do earn lots, likely a fortune or two more than your friends, actually earn their money and I don't begrudge them that in the slightest. I also don't believe in hammering them heavily just because they can afford it.

For myself, I'm more worried about the points, really.
    Whatever the fine is, I'll have to pay it by installments, maybe even sell my car to pay it anyway, so big whoop. I'll go back to walking everywhere.

You just said speed does not kill -so does knocking down someone at 29mph or 31mph in a 30mph make any difference?? Whats wrong with the old rules - too cheap for you??
    Richhunt again. Wrong tree. You want the Money Tree next field over.
    Speed alone does not kill. But there must still be a standard to which everyone drives, part of which requires a limit. Cross that limit by 1mph or a thousand, it's still crossing the limit.

If anything you should be supporting stricter driving tests,and maybe driving tests to only last a few years before retaking them.
    I do.
    I also know that it is a monumental undertaking the implement and regulate that will take many years to filter through, as well as there being a lack of alternative transport for those who will fail the new and either not get, or will lose their existing, driving licence.
    I also know that people will still break the law in spite of all this. Heck, we know how dangerous smoking is, but we still do that. What's a little speed in your Audi Fastmobile?

That will lead to safer drivers.
    No.
    Certainty of punishment will.
    If you think you might be able to get away with it, you'll be tempted. If you know 100% that Mr Policeman will hurl the book at you and take your licence/vehicle away the instant you transgress the law, you'll be the goodest little Cat there ever was.
    The more certain we make the chances of being punished, the less people will take that chance.

I might have been more inclined to be more harder on these people a few years ago,but actually seeing what some had to go through I do actually feel sorry for them,and these kind of stealth taxes hit less well off people more than those who earn more.
    Having been unemployed and briefly homeless, before working my way back up to where I am now, I feel suitably qualified to respond - A good measure of those people are just lazy. When you have to, you do what you must or you die. That's all there is to it. You go where the work is and you work as smart as you work hard. You live the same, which means going without iPhones, drugs or even meals if it helps you step up.
    There will always be richer than you and there will always be poorer. There will also be those who circumvent the law wherever possible and most people would if given the chance.
    All you can do is look after yourself, which in this case is simply not speeding and thus robbing the government of their alleged "stealth tax".

Thanks
    • CAT-THE-FIFTH's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Less E-PEEN
      • CPU:
      • Massive E-PEEN
      • Memory:
      • RGB E-PEEN
      • Storage:
      • Not in any order
      • Graphics card(s):
      • EVEN BIGGER E-PEEN
      • PSU:
      • OVERSIZED
      • Case:
      • UNDERSIZED
      • Operating System:
      • DOS 6.22
      • Monitor(s):
      • NOT USUALLY ON....WHEN I POST
      • Internet:
      • FUNCTIONAL

Quote Originally Posted by Ttaskmaster View Post
    Speeding is not the cause of incidents.
    However, it is one factor that limits the response times of drivers and is the origin of the odds at which said drivers find themselves with the rest of the traffic.
    There is a range within which a vehicle is expected to operate under certain conditions, that allow other road users to factor in expected behaviours and make use of forward planning. By speeding and breaking the rules of the road, you rob them of that forward planning and even the most advanced driver training goes out the window as much as if you break the laws of physics.

Since speed is the variable most readily governed and regulated, it is being reinforced.

Yes, there are other, perhaps bigger factors, but I'd like to see you enact road laws that govern the human mistake...
    Which none of the going 1MPH over 30MPH so you get charged 50% of your income is going to solve - if people are getting killed when speeding and if their own lives are not enough to stop it,where is this 50% charge you seem to be love in,going to work??

Education is more useful and at least making people pass a new driving test will make sure they are up to speed on regulations and are physically fit to drive.

How much do you think all those new speed cameras cost then??

Great... who is going to administer all the changes, force everyone to retest and upgrade... but more importantly, who is going to pay for it and where do you think that money is going?
    And when people cannot pass the new tests, what then?
    And what about all those driving without licences anyway? I know a couple of people who went decades before they got found out and had to take their test... one even had insurance, believe it or not!
    So let me get his right you are so in love with the speed charges to save all the innocents,yet you say you would rather that people don't get re-tested every few years to make sure they are still competent drivers.

You then say speed does not kill people do,so basically all those people who already kill themselves driving fast or injure themselves will still continue to do that.

Maybe we should try to actually educate people and make the tests better,so people will know more of the risks.

Balfour Beatty are part of the government?
    Or you mean Theresa May and her Civil Servants are the ones who need to be doing the building?
    No, quite simply, it is down to privately owned companies making money by skewing the brief, and already overpopulated towns not needing yet more housing to attract even more people... especially since the roads are also insanely crowded.
    So more excuses making - its the government which makes the laws and enforces them,so they decided to use those companies and they decided to let things pass. So how did we build more houses in the past - why did the magic house building genie build millions of houses after WW2??

No-one let them. They just decided and forced the sale of farming land, which they can apparently do...
    But heck, it's only countryside, right? Not like we grow any food, maintain nature or anything, especially since we're driving diesels, too...
    So who is to blame for that - who decided to slow down house building,slow down refurbishment of older houses for the last few decades??

You are moaning about them building 150000 houses where you live on farmland. Ever thought whey they are panic building now??

I don't believe they can, or if they are able I'm sure there will be a UK-based shell corporation somewhere. Also, I wouldn't call 2-bed starter homes "luxury". Half don't even have gardens. That's another Richhunt you're looking for.
    Oh know - rich hunt! Poor victim,of course they can.

They default because owning the latest iPhone or buying drugs is more important than having a roof over your head, based on most of the bailiff programmes... And rents are so high because people keep defaulting and/or wrecking the place and Landlords have ever-increasing maintenance and admin costs with which to contend and protect themselves from being shafted by ignorant, abusive tenants who think the world owes them something.
    Another bubble you are in - I certainly know people who are landlords,and took advantage of the housing crash in the 90s. They are still landlords.

Rents being high are nothing to do with the increasing cost of housing,etc or the fact the government has sold off so much of the council/affordable rent housing in the 1980s and 1990s and made sure they didn't bother to refurbish or build sufficient new houses for a growing population.

Plenty of housing around the UK. My brother-in-law recently bought (to rent out) six houses up North and two in Ireland, for a total of less than £400,000.
    Ownership isn't everything, though. The UK is especially fixated on owning, while a lot of Europe still rents.
    Plenty of jobs around, too - We have pages of vacancies right here... no-one wants to work for a living any more, though.
    Again you in a little bubble - you apparently seem to be basing your viewpoint in the place you live in. If you honestly think there is plenty of housing around here,LOL.

Plus UK fixated on ownership - then maybe they should make renting long-term more affordable and safe like in Europe,and even then many have no choice so are stuck in the worst of both worlds.

I don't go down the pub (or even drink).
    I don't smoke.
    I don't do drugs.
    I drive a tatty old diesel car from 2003 that I only got because it was free, because it was broken and even now it's still borderline MoT fail.
    I only have a PC as good as that there on the left because some silly young girl wasn't paying attention, while doing 80mph in a 40 and slammed into the back of me and I was fortunate that she was insured...
    So... Better off than who or what, exactly? Do you think I'm better off than "the poor people" just because I post on a tech forum? I live from paycheck to paycheck, usually from the bottom of an overdraft. I ain't exactly the richest rogue in Reading...
    Which again is the problem - on a forum saying how the millions of people in this country are in a crap condition and they deserve it,and you are talking about Reading!! I told you I lived round Runnymede.

BAHAHAHHAHAHAHHAHAHHAHAHAHA!

No wonder so many are voting for the far right.

I'd get the same pay wherever I went, outside of the London Weighting zone. That's what the Union is for and why commuting is so popular. We have staff who commute 3-4 hours each way, every day, because housing is cheaper and it means they can buy a £40,000 car.
    Reading is still very expensive, especially given what you get for your money.

Oh no, I made a typo, what will I do. My whole argument is defeated over missing a letter K.... But then you seem to think I said I actually own a 3mil house, despite me saying quite clearly I not only just rent it, but that the house is only half a mil... but carry on.

So do you think the only person who commutes? The fact of the matter in many places in the Uk they are having massive difficultly due to the massive rents and expensive travel for retaining essential person like nurses,etc and you must be in some weird bubble if you think they are all buying £40000 cars.

You seem to have your head in the sand about what the sell off,all that affordable housing in many areas had long-term. Sure more people had houses,but it also meant so many more are stuck in crap situation.

Ridiculous.
    There's a load round here, sat empty. People just don't want to live in them. They want to be closer to London.
    There's loads of empty offices, too.
    You can even make money from spotting empty properties, because there are hundreds of thousands all over the place.

Yes, yes, loads of empty properties, so lets build more and let them sit empty, too...
    LMAO - did you honestly just type that. Honestly do you honestly think if there were loads of houses just lying around this county,that there would not be a housing crisis??

London is PACKED and the people have to go somewhere. That's no reason to Brexit, because they'd still spread out.
    Again,none of my mates or I thought it was a good reason,plenty of people round this country have voted for Brexit(including UKIP gaining support),and the fact of the matter house pricing,rents,transport are massively out stripping pay increases.

Because I'm stonkingly rich and don't care about you peasants, because I have a fleet of private helicopters. Cars are for poor people!!

Nah, they still have to pay out money. The more they speed, the more they pay in the end and, if caught enough times, they get banned just like everyone else.
    Worry instead about the ones who already don't declare their income, drive a slightly battered Beemer at 140+ and really don't care if they kill you, because you are in their way and they're so important they don't need indicators...
    Jet,for someone boasting they are rich you seem really annoyed for me suggesting the caps be removed.

So?
    No less of a hit than to someone with no provable income, like the local drug dealers who are officially on 'corner shop' wages...
    Yes,because anyone is not living in Reading,and in a £600k house is a drug dealer - LOL.

I really don't care about the cap. Those people who do earn lots, likely a fortune or two more than your friends, actually earn their money and I don't begrudge them that in the slightest. I also don't believe in hammering them heavily just because they can afford it.

For myself, I'm more worried about the points, really.
    Whatever the fine is, I'll have to pay it by installments, maybe even sell my car to pay it anyway, so big whoop. I'll go back to walking everywhere.
    Apparently you do,this is why you are arguing with me about it - everybody I know including my most well off friends don't agree on the cap.

Richhunt again. Wrong tree. You want the Money Tree next field over.
    Speed alone does not kill. But there must still be a standard to which everyone drives, part of which requires a limit. Cross that limit by 1mph or a thousand, it's still crossing the limit.
    Oh now - you playing the victim again. So a poor-hunt. You seem terrified for the cap to be increased,but you are contradicting yourself. First you say speed does not kill,but when the cap is mentioned you starting sobbing about people hunting you.

If you are so rich then you should be quite happy to pay an unlimited cap.

I do.
    I also know that it is a monumental undertaking the implement and regulate that will take many years to filter through, as well as there being a lack of alternative transport for those who will fail the new and either not get, or will lose their existing, driving licence.
    I also know that people will still break the law in spite of all this. Heck, we know how dangerous smoking is, but we still do that. What's a little speed in your Audi Fastmobile?
    So if that is the case,you are saying the extra fine won't change anything,so again why are you so in love with it??

No.
    Certainty of punishment will.
    If you think you might be able to get away with it, you'll be tempted. If you know 100% that Mr Policeman will hurl the book at you and take your licence/vehicle away the instant you transgress the law, you'll be the goodest little Cat there ever was.
    The more certain we make the chances of being punished, the less people will take that chance.
    If that is the case,the previous system would mean zero drivers breaking any law. It won't change anything,since if your own life is not enough to deter you from speeding,a bigger fine won't.

Maybe educating people might.

Having been unemployed and briefly homeless, before working my way back up to where I am now, I feel suitably qualified to respond - A good measure of those people are just lazy. When you have to, you do what you must or you die. That's all there is to it. You go where the work is and you work as smart as you work hard. You live the same, which means going without iPhones, drugs or even meals if it helps you step up.
    There will always be richer than you and there will always be poorer. There will also be those who circumvent the law wherever possible and most people would if given the chance.
    All you can do is look after yourself, which in this case is simply not speeding and thus robbing the government of their alleged "stealth tax".
    Having lived in more than one part of this country and having lived abroad in a poorer country,I think I am qualified to respond too. If you want to trade sob stories(I assume you cart out the "rich hunt" one),I will give you enough,but ultimately all you are saying is this "I did OK" so "everybody else should" argument which is stupid,especially when you consider the Ponzi scheme like distribution of things.

Using that logic you seem to be peddling - I lived in a country where having any car was considered a luxury,where there were massive taxes on cars above a certain BHP and capacity,etc,limits on the age of cars which could be imported and many people just cycled,used the train or walked.

So considering I survived in such a place,I should say lets tax all the cars in the UK massively,since people in many countries survive perfectly fine without a car. But,but its a different country,who cares,right??

Plus sure there are lazy people but I don't honestly think you argument seems to based on the little area of the world where you live,even the argument about being tons of empty properties. LMAO. In Manchester where I was there were loads,but around here,not nearly as much you think.
    Last edited by CAT-THE-FIFTH; 25-04-2017 at 08:30 PM.

Thanks
    • Ferral's system
      • Motherboard:
      • ASUS Z97-P
      • CPU:
      • Intel i7 4790K Haswell
      • Memory:
      • 12Gb Corsair XMS3 DDR3 1600 Mhz
      • Storage:
      • 120Gb Kingston SSD & 2 Tb Toshiba
      • Graphics card(s):
      • Sapphire Radeon R9 380 Nitro 4Gb
      • PSU:
      • Antec Truepower 750 Watt Modular
      • Case:
      • Fractal Design Focus G Mid Tower
      • Operating System:
      • Windows 10 64 bit
      • Monitor(s):
      • 28" iiyama Prolite 4K
      • Internet:
      • 80Mb BT Fiber

Can we draw a line here please and keep the thread on track or I will be forced to close it

Thanks

Thanks
    • ik9000's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Asus P7H55-M/USB3
      • CPU:
      • i7-870, Prolimatech Megahalems, 2x Akasa Apache 120mm
      • Memory:
      • 4x4GB Corsair Vengeance 2133 11-11-11-27
      • Storage:
      • 2x256GB Samsung 840-Pro, 1TB Seagate 7200.12, 1TB Seagate ES.2
      • Graphics card(s):
      • Gigabyte GTX 460 1GB SuperOverClocked
      • PSU:
      • NZXT Hale 90 750w
      • Case:
      • BitFenix Survivor + Bitfenix spectre LED fans, LG BluRay R/W optical drive
      • Operating System:
      • Windows 7 Professional
      • Monitor(s):
      • Dell U2414h, U2311h 1920x1080
      • Internet:
      • 200Mb/s Fibre and 4G wifi

Quote Originally Posted by Ferral View Post
    Can we draw a line here please and keep the thread on track or I will be forced to close it

Thanks
    Just don't be too fast to do so or you may get a speeding fine. They've gone up now apparently. What is the speed limit on Hexus anyway? 10 moans per hour?

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by ik9000 View Post
    What is the speed limit on Hexus anyway? 10 moans per hour?
    Should be, the way the majority of threads end up on here these days.
    Jon

Thanks

If moaning was a sport the UK would be awarded 1st, 2nd, and 3rd.

Thanks
    • Ferral's system
      • Motherboard:
      • ASUS Z97-P
      • CPU:
      • Intel i7 4790K Haswell
      • Memory:
      • 12Gb Corsair XMS3 DDR3 1600 Mhz
      • Storage:
      • 120Gb Kingston SSD & 2 Tb Toshiba
      • Graphics card(s):
      • Sapphire Radeon R9 380 Nitro 4Gb
      • PSU:
      • Antec Truepower 750 Watt Modular
      • Case:
      • Fractal Design Focus G Mid Tower
      • Operating System:
      • Windows 10 64 bit
      • Monitor(s):
      • 28" iiyama Prolite 4K
      • Internet:
      • 80Mb BT Fiber

Speed of HEXUS is at least 1.21 gigawatts

The late but legendary peterb - Onward and Upward peterb's Avatar
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Ferral View Post
    Speed of HEXUS is at least 1.21 gigawatts
    I thought it was warp speed six, "any more and she canna take it, Jim"

Now, pass me the dilithium crystals please!
    (\__/)
    (='.'=)
    (")_(")

Been helped or just 'Like' a post? Use the Thanks button!
    My broadband speed - 750 Meganibbles/minute

Thanks
    • Jowsey's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Asrock H81M-ITX
      • CPU:
      • Intel Xeon E3-1230V3
      • Memory:
      • 8GB Corsair XMS3
      • Storage:
      • 256GB Crucial MX100 & 2TB Seagate Barracuda
      • Graphics card(s):
      • Asus GTX 770 DCUII 2GB
      • PSU:
      • EVGA SuperNova GS 550 watt
      • Case:
      • Phanteks Evolv ITX
      • Operating System:
      • Windows 7 64 bit
      • Internet:
      • Virgin Media 100Mb

Plenty of people use legal tax avoidance,etc to show a lower income so in the end plenty of rich people will not only pay less tax,but get stung even less. Then what about all the people who produce most of their income abroad??

As far as I know only the US actually taxes its citizens based on income they earn anywhere.

It also figures all the politicians will find a loop hole to make the taxpayer pay for them speeding and what is the likelihood they can pull some strings to get off the fines,especially if they annoy someone high level enough who could vote for more cuts to the force.

Its all a blasted farce - overcharge for public transport,use draconian fining systems,for someone going 1 mph over the speed limit,whilst making sure the old boys network gets stung less,since the caps actually mean all their rich buddies will pay a pittance compared to a normal person,and we all know the police will put a blind eye to them if they can avoid it.

Plus does anyone ever think for one minute that the police can "mis-calibrate" their speeding cameras a few mph downwards so they can fine more people - how is anyone going to fight them if they are actually beneath the speed limit?? Their word against the police.

Its not about public safety,its about generating more income.
    I think we can safely avoid using the US's tax system. Our remittance basis makes far more sense in our local economic area where people are very likely to work in different nations. Where the money ends up is where it is taxed. If it ends up in Norway it would be taxed by Norway, if ends up in the UK that is where it is taxed. However, like I said before, the courts will ask for you to declare all of your earnings, not just earnings declared in the UK.

I'm sure you can appreciate that the combined arms of HMRC and the MOJ know all of the ways a person can obfuscate income in a corporate entity.

I think you're going to have to substantiate a baseless claim behind "politicians will find a loophole".

I'd also like to point out just randomly slandering all officers for "mis-calibrations" sounds very bitter as well.

Here is how not to be fined:

On a road where the imposed limit is 70, do 70. If you can not tell roughly what speed you are doing by knowing which gear you're in and where your throttle is, than perhaps you need more practice.

On a road where the imposed limit is 30, do 30. Etc.

I don't get why people whinge about this so much. Everyone knows the rules and if you actively choose to break them, pay the fine. If you don't want to pay the fine, don't speed. Simple.

The only bit that annoys me here is the fact that there is a cap! Senseless...
    Steam - ReapedYou - Feel free to add me!!

Thanks
    • Butcher's system
      • Motherboard:
      • MSI Z97 Gaming 3
      • CPU:
      • i7-4790K
      • Memory:
      • 8 GB Corsair 1866 MHz
      • Storage:
      • 120GB SSD, 240GB SSD, 2TB HDD
      • Graphics card(s):
      • MSI GTX 970
      • PSU:
      • Antec 650W
      • Case:
      • Big Black Cube!
      • Operating System:
      • Windows 7

Not sure why this got so much press given almost nothing changed. The law on speeding has not changed at all, the only change was the guideline for fines when cases go to court were increased for the top tier of offences, which changed from 125% of your weekly income to 175%.

31 in a 30 was already illegal, but not enforced as speed cameras / guns are not that accurate. Best tolerance for speed measuring devices is 2 mph, so the minimum speed you'd be caught for is 32 mph, and realistically more like 35 mph.
    In any event being caught at a little over 30 mph would typically get you a £100 FPN, not a means tested fine, which is also unchanged.

Magistrates can ignore the guidelines and fine you what they like up to the maximum (£1000 for normal roads, £2500 for motorways). There have been cases where people stated their income much lower than was plainly apparent from their job and expenditure and they tend to get short shift.

11. Received thanks from:

peterb (26-04-2017)

Thanks
    • DanceswithUnix's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Asus X470-PRO
      • CPU:
      • 5900X
      • Memory:
      • 32GB 3200MHz ECC
      • Storage:
      • 2TB Linux, 2TB Games (Win 10)
      • Graphics card(s):
      • Asus Strix RX Vega 56
      • PSU:
      • 650W Corsair TX
      • Case:
      • Antec 300
      • Operating System:
      • Fedora 39 + Win 10 Pro 64 (yuk)
      • Monitor(s):
      • Benq XL2730Z 1440p + Iiyama 27" 1440p
      • Internet:
      • Zen 900Mb/900Mb (CityFibre FttP)

Quote Originally Posted by Jowsey View Post
    I don't get why people whinge about this so much. Everyone knows the rules and if you actively choose to break them, pay the fine. If you don't want to pay the fine, don't speed. Simple.
    Because it is harmful.

I think my mum used to believe that, until she got done for speeding.

Keeping your speed in check is a good thing. Sticking to under 30mph as a hard ceiling in a 30 zone means looking away from the road on a regular basis. If someone introduced a law to say all motorists have to stare at the floor every 10 seconds then there would be outrage, yet here we are saying that looking at the road isn't good enough, you have to look down at the speedo, a lot.

There used to be a guideline of 10%+2mph so that in a 30 zone you could make a best effort to stick to 30 and if you drifted as high as 36mph then really you deserve to be hauled over and lectured on car control by some passing plod. That seems to be gone, the letter of the law says that 1mph over is illegal and some police regions will do you for that.

Once laws seem harsh and unjust then people will look upon those that administer them as harsh and unjust. So I see the current speed enforcement as distracting from real road safety, detrimental to police/public relationship and doing nothing to combat dangerous driving.

13. Received thanks from:

ik9000 (26-04-2017),Jonj1611 (26-04-2017)

Thanks

Afaik, the 10%+2 guidance still applies - but it is guidance, if the limit is 30, and you are doing more than that, then an offence has been committed.
    (\__/)
    (='.'=)
    (")_(")

Thanks
    • Butcher's system
      • Motherboard:
      • MSI Z97 Gaming 3
      • CPU:
      • i7-4790K
      • Memory:
      • 8 GB Corsair 1866 MHz
      • Storage:
      • 120GB SSD, 240GB SSD, 2TB HDD
      • Graphics card(s):
      • MSI GTX 970
      • PSU:
      • Antec 650W
      • Case:
      • Big Black Cube!
      • Operating System:
      • Windows 7

Quote Originally Posted by DanceswithUnix View Post
    Because it is harmful.

I think my mum used to believe that, until she got done for speeding.

Keeping your speed in check is a good thing. Sticking to under 30mph as a hard ceiling in a 30 zone means looking away from the road on a regular basis. If someone introduced a law to say all motorists have to stare at the floor every 10 seconds then there would be outrage, yet here we are saying that looking at the road isn't good enough, you have to look down at the speedo, a lot.

There used to be a guideline of 10%+2mph so that in a 30 zone you could make a best effort to stick to 30 and if you drifted as high as 36mph then really you deserve to be hauled over and lectured on car control by some passing plod. That seems to be gone, the letter of the law says that 1mph over is illegal and some police regions will do you for that.

Once laws seem harsh and unjust then people will look upon those that administer them as harsh and unjust. So I see the current speed enforcement as distracting from real road safety, detrimental to police/public relationship and doing nothing to combat dangerous driving.
    No one will ticket you for 31 mph, as none of the speed measuring devices are that accurate. In practical terms, 33 mph is the lowest you would get ticketed for. Keeping a car below 33 mph in a 30 zone should not require a lot of effort.

Bear in mind that nothing has changed for the Police, the changes only affects guidelines for the courts.

Thanks

Ttaskmaster - I have deleted your post as this line of debate in the thread has run its course. In fact it had run its course last time I intervened. It is time to draw on very thick line under it, before I start considering other actions.
    (\__/)
    (='.'=)
    (")_(")

Thanks
    • BobF64's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Asus P8Z77-V Pro
      • CPU:
      • Intel Core i7-3770K
      • Memory:
      • 16GB Corsair XMS3 PC3-12800
      • Storage:
      • Multiple HDD and SSD drives
      • Graphics card(s):
      • ASUS DUAL-GTX1060-06G
      • PSU:
      • 750W Silverstone Strider Gold Evolution
      • Case:
      • Silverstone Fortress FT02
      • Operating System:
      • Windows 10 x64 Pro
      • Monitor(s):
      • HP ZR24w

Quote Originally Posted by peterb View Post
    Afaik, the 10%+2 guidance still applies - but it is guidance, if the limit is 30, and you are doing more than that, then an offence has been committed.
    But, from what I remember in a news article, that guidance isnt even the same over all police forces. Some applied such a principle, some allowed no tolerance at all.

18. Received thanks from:

Saracen (08-05-2017)

Admin (Ret'd)
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by BobF64 View Post
    But, from what I remember in a news article, that guidance isnt even the same over all police forces. Some applied such a principle, some allowed no tolerance at all.
    That's the thing about guidance - it's up to individual force's Chief Constables whether to follow it. Most do, but certainly in the past, there's been an exception or two.

It's certainly the case that for absolute iffences like speeding, legally, either you are (above limit) or aren't (below limit). Police officers then have some discretion as to IF to pursue it, and if they do, HOW .... within certain restrictions.

Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456 LastLast

Thread Information