Page 10 of 10 FirstFirst ... 78910

Thread: Tesla Model 3 event

Admin (Ret'd)
    Thanks

Re: Tesla Model 3 event

Quote Originally Posted by DanceswithUnix View Post
    If people are ignoring existing laws, adding new laws for them to ignore doesn't seem productive.
    But then the lesson seems to be working out a way to make existing (and new) laws effective. I'd suggest two factors need to be present for that -

a) the prospective offender needs to believe there is a credible prospect of being caught, and

b) the punishment needs to both suit the crime and be a credible punishment/deterrent.

Of course, for people to believe they'll be caught requires adequate resources in enforcement. After all, it's been a serious offence to drink-drive (and more recently emphasis has been on dtug-dtiving too) for decades, yet people are either ignorsnt enough to not know it (which I don't believe) or arrogant enough to not think they'll be caught.

A relative of mine has about 35 years as a magistrate and he's told me that regularly, as in at least once a month, he gets someone tearfully recount how a driving ban will lose them their job, and yet the ban is mandatory for drink-driving. It doesn't stop people. I'm not sure what will.

Thanks
    • Ttaskmaster's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Aorus Master X670E
      • CPU:
      • Ryzen 7800X3D
      • Memory:
      • 32GB Corsair Dominator DDR5 6000MHz
      • Storage:
      • Samsung Evo 120GB and Seagate Baracuda 2TB
      • Graphics card(s):
      • Aorus Master 4090
      • PSU:
      • EVGA Supernova G2 1000W
      • Case:
      • Lian Li V3000 Plus
      • Operating System:
      • Win11
      • Monitor(s):
      • Gigabyte M32U
      • Internet:
      • 900Mbps Gigaclear WHOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Saracen View Post
    For the record, my Darwinesque-Award elimination strategy applies to those with sufficiently deficient IQ
    I know and you won't ever stop that, which is why I'm not caring about them in the slightest.

But speaking as someone who, four times a day, has to triple-check the road using ears alone because it's a blind corner and many drivers are also too blind to read speed limits or too deficient of IQ to moderate their right foot, I don't fancy dying, thanks... We've already had two fatalities this year alone.

Quote Originally Posted by Noxvayl View Post
    I think European society has gone too far down the "no-one is allowed to die" path that us normal people have to put up with such nonsense just to keep idiots from walking into an open manhole cover.
    Actually it's imported American society and it's about not getting sued for every penny you have. People can die as MUCH as they like, so long as it doesn't cost us any money. And by us, I mean drvers, car manufacturers, designers, government, councils, road workers and anyone else who can be imagined accountable.

And if we left our manholes open, you would be stunned at how often even someone as intelligent and wholly aware of the world as you still falls foul of it.

It seems to manifest in these idiotic laws like the EVs have to make noise... a Rolls Royce makes less noise than an EV, if not the same amount if it's weight contributes more to tyre noise.
    And how many Rolls Royces do you encounter on a, say, weekly basis?
    I haven't seen one in a good couple of years, despite working in and around Bray far more often than I'd like.

They had some safety trials on motorcycle noises once (Loud Pipes Save Lives and all that), and the affects on perception of safety. People had NO idea how fast the quieter bikes were going, because the appropriate audio cues weren't there. Mostly people chanced it and pulled out, which would either result in the biker being killed and/or the bike flipping up through the windows of the car - Which is the part most drivers forget about, especially the ones whose kids would have gotten 42 stone of solid metal in the face.

However, the same applies to road use in general - You can often hear a car before you peg it and when waiting to pull out from a junction (ie minor to major), the major can be pretty fast - 60mph, in fact. Get that wrong and your ultra-modern fancy car with all its crumple zones is complete trash... oh, and you might cause someones' death.

Thanks
    • Ttaskmaster's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Aorus Master X670E
      • CPU:
      • Ryzen 7800X3D
      • Memory:
      • Storage:
      • Graphics card(s):
      • Aorus Master 4090
      • PSU:
      • Case:
      • Lian Li V3000 Plus
      • Operating System:
      • Win11
      • Monitor(s):
      • Gigabyte M32U
      • Internet:

Quote Originally Posted by DanceswithUnix View Post
    If people are ignoring existing laws, adding new laws for them to ignore doesn't seem productive.
    Even if they were obeying the speed limit, it's still problematic. We get warning from the engine noise, which is the main way
    But you're right - Logical reasoning must prevail. Bring on the EVs, then. Our deaths will help substantiate the point.

Thanks
    • Noxvayl's system
      • Motherboard:
      • GigabyteZ87X-UD4H-CF
      • CPU:
      • Intel i7 4770K
      • Memory:
      • 16GB Corsair Vengaence LPX + 8GB Kingston HyperX Beast
      • Storage:
      • 120GB Snadisk + 256GB Crucial SSDs
      • Graphics card(s):
      • 4GB Sapphire R9 380
      • PSU:
      • ENermax Platimax 750W
      • Case:
      • Fractal Design Define S
      • Operating System:
      • Windows 10 64bit
      • Monitor(s):
      • ATMT + Dell 1024x1280
      • Internet:
      • Sky Fibre

Quote Originally Posted by Ttaskmaster View Post
    I know and you won't ever stop that, which is why I'm not caring about them in the slightest.

But speaking as someone who, four times a day, has to triple-check the road using ears alone because it's a blind corner and many drivers are also too blind to read speed limits or too deficient of IQ to moderate their right foot, I don't fancy dying, thanks... We've already had two fatalities this year alone.

Actually it's imported American society and it's about not getting sued for every penny you have. People can die as MUCH as they like, so long as it doesn't cost us any money. And by us, I mean drvers, car manufacturers, designers, government, councils, road workers and anyone else who can be imagined accountable.

And if we left our manholes open, you would be stunned at how often even someone as intelligent and wholly aware of the world as you still falls foul of it.

And how many Rolls Royces do you encounter on a, say, weekly basis?
    I haven't seen one in a good couple of years, despite working in and around Bray far more often than I'd like.

They had some safety trials on motorcycle noises once (Loud Pipes Save Lives and all that), and the affects on perception of safety. People had NO idea how fast the quieter bikes were going, because the appropriate audio cues weren't there. Mostly people chanced it and pulled out, which would either result in the biker being killed and/or the bike flipping up through the windows of the car - Which is the part most drivers forget about, especially the ones whose kids would have gotten 42 stone of solid metal in the face.

However, the same applies to road use in general - You can often hear a car before you peg it and when waiting to pull out from a junction (ie minor to major), the major can be pretty fast - 60mph, in fact. Get that wrong and your ultra-modern fancy car with all its crumple zones is complete trash... oh, and you might cause someones' death.
    That is a natural human problem, actually all animals suffer from the inability to judge speed of other moving objects. It happens to be part of Einsteins equations.

Adding sound can help, but only for those not wearing earphones while walking... Even then if you are looking at your phone you can easily tune out the rest of the world no matter how loud it is. So it most certainly is helpful, for very few people that are aware of their surroundings...

Thanks
    • Ttaskmaster's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Aorus Master X670E
      • CPU:
      • Ryzen 7800X3D
      • Memory:
      • Storage:
      • Graphics card(s):
      • Aorus Master 4090
      • PSU:
      • Case:
      • Lian Li V3000 Plus
      • Operating System:
      • Win11
      • Monitor(s):
      • Gigabyte M32U
      • Internet:

That is a natural human problem, actually all animals suffer from the inability to judge speed of other moving objects. It happens to be part of Einsteins equations.
    And yet many hunting animals succeed in judging the speed of and subsequently capturing prey, as evidenced by their continuing to live...

So it most certainly is helpful, for very few people that are aware of their surroundings...
    More than a few, I think you'll find.

Page 10 of 10 FirstFirst ... 78910

Thread Information