Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Test driving a Nissan Leaf

The late but legendary peterb - Onward and Upward peterb's Avatar
    Thanks

Test driving a Nissan Leaf

There have been a few threads about electric vehicles recently and it is a technology I have been following. My oresent car is a 3 litre BMW diesel with a manual gearbox and as an inline 6 cylinder it just purrs along effortlessly, giving about 38 to 40 mpg on a long run (dropping to about 32 round town)

So with Nissan offering a 4 day extended test drive on the Leaf....

I picked it up last Tuesday, 30Kwh battery top of the range (Tekna). Interior pleasant enough - instruments a bit fussy, but that's not really important. If I was buying, Id probably go for the Acenta 30Kwh - losing leather heated seats and steering wheel - which I don't particularly need- but keeping the enhanced regenerative breaking, reversing camera and the EV telematics system, which gives advanced control over charging etc. (but then it is 'only' £400 more )

First impressions were how unremarkable it felt. Im not sure what I expected, but apart from the lack of engine noise I wouldnt have been obvious that this wasn't an IC powered car. I initially drove it in Eco mode which limits the torque to the motor, but gives very acceptable acceleration, the eco switch is on the sterring whel - pressing that and the acceleration is quite impressive. It was very easy to exceed standard speed limits as the audible cues from the engine noise are missing, but that just takes a bit of getting used to.

In practise most of my driving has been in eco mode, just switching back to normal at junctions when I need to pull away in a hurry.

Most of my trips have been local, and I haven't needed to fast charge it. I have had it on charge during the day to benefit from the solar cells on the roof of my house.

Range does take a mindset adjustment - in my own car I start thinking about refuelling if I have less than 80 miles range showing. With the Leaf, I was doing journeys with 40 or 50 miles range showing on the charge state.

I hace been quite impressed with it and I shall be sorry to see it go, but I don't think Ill be buying one just yet, for the following reasons:

Cost - still expensive to buy, and there is the question of battery life and the replacement cost. Personal lease plansare all very well, but you either have to find a lump sum at the end or hand the car back and then find the deposit for another, which tends to hide to true cost.

Range - this has been less of a problem than I thought, for local journeys, but it does limit spontaneous travel. Any journey of up 100 miles round trip really needs a full charge at the start, and then a charge period at the end, any trip over that requires a charging stop and adding 45 minutes to the journey time.

Charging infrastructure - not sufficiently developed yet - my nearest fast charge point is about 6 miles away - 12 mile round trip which is 10% of the range. Charge points I do on regular long trips are few and far between and would need careful planning.

Next generation - the Leaf 32 is expected soon with an expected doubling of the battery capacity to 60Kwh, giving a range of about 200 miles- which is somewhat more realistic. The crunch will be the cost.

It would make a great second car for local journeys, or for commuting to and from a fixed place of work (especially if that workplace provided charging points) but for me, I would need to have a re-think in travel, either making more use of public transport or hiring an IC car for long trips - neither of which solve the spontaneous travel issue.

But overall I was very impressed with it and I certainly haven't ruled out purchasing in the future, but for me, the technology isn't quite there yet.

I shall be sorry to see it go.
    (\__/)
    (='.'=)
    (")_(")

Been helped or just 'Like' a post? Use the Thanks button!
    My broadband speed - 750 Meganibbles/minute

2. Received thanks from:

cptwhite_uk (26-08-2017),DanceswithUnix (27-08-2017),kalniel (26-08-2017),TeePee (26-08-2017)

Thanks

Re: Test driving a Nissan Leaf

Post script:

I wrote the post just before I took it back, so for the last journey I kept it out of Eco mode and drove it somewhat harder than I had done - It was very responsive, but of course, at the expense of range - probably as good as the BMW.

It was with some regret that I parked it at the dealership - we had a chat and then I got the keys to my BMW back. Te sun was shining, so the soft top went down. Fired her up and after a couple of stalls when I forgot I was driving a manual, drove home. I had another smile on my face! It might have done over 100,000 miles, but it still makes me smile, and made the Leaf seem - well - bland.

In an ideal world I'd keep both, the BMW for the long trips, and the Leaf for every day, but that isnt an option - at the moment, but maybe in a couple of years? The other option is a low mileage used Leaf. Problem is that they are so new its hard to gauge depreciation, and the traction battery is a service item - at just under £4000 a pop. Lots to think about.
    (\__/)
    (='.'=)
    (")_(")

Thanks
    • directhex's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Asus ROG Strix B550-I Gaming
      • CPU:
      • Ryzen 5900x
      • Memory:
      • 64GB G.Skill Trident Z RGB
      • Storage:
      • 2TB Seagate Firecuda 520
      • Graphics card(s):
      • EVGA GeForce RTX 3080 XC3 Ultra
      • PSU:
      • EVGA SuperNOVA 850W G3
      • Case:
      • NZXT H210i
      • Operating System:
      • Ubuntu 20.04, Windows 10
      • Monitor(s):
      • LG 34GN850
      • Internet:
      • FIOS

The problem with the Leaf is its battery cooling technology is worst-in-class, meaning it has worse battery degradation than any other model on the market.

Right now, in the UK, outside Tesla pricing, the best drive is the BMW i3, the longest range is the Renault Zoe 40, and the best all-rounder is the Hyundai Ioniq.

Thanks
    • Dashers's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Gigabyte GA-X99-UD4
      • CPU:
      • Intel i7-5930K
      • Memory:
      • 48GB Corsair DDR4 3000 Quad-channel
      • Storage:
      • Intel 750 PCIe SSD; RAID-0 x2 Samsung 840 EVO; RAID-0 x2 WD Black; RAID-0 x2 Crucial MX500
      • Graphics card(s):
      • MSI GeForce GTX 1070 Ti
      • PSU:
      • CoolerMaster Silent Pro M2 720W
      • Case:
      • Corsair 500R
      • Operating System:
      • Windows 10
      • Monitor(s):
      • Philips 40" 4K AMVA + 23.8" AOC 144Hz IPS
      • Internet:
      • Zen FTTC

I test drove the first generation Leaf and I really liked it. It seemed very refined for the price point, plenty of room in the back and yes, pretty pokey. Happily overtook a few cars on the test drive.

What I couldn't get over was how ugly it was, and with the funny Megane style boot it is actually a fairly long car and would have caused issues with getting it in our garage. In the end we decided we didn't need to pay the 50% more and got the Zoe instead.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Dashers View Post
    I test drove the first generation Leaf and I really liked it. It seemed very refined for the price point, plenty of room in the back and yes, pretty pokey. Happily overtook a few cars on the test drive

What I couldn't get over was how ugly it was, and with the funny Megane style boot it is actually a fairly long car and would have caused issues with getting it in our garage.
    I suppose styling is a question of taste - but quite a few cars I thought looked odd when they were first released now look completely normal. I don't think the Leaf looks particularly ugly, but appearance isn't high in my priorities - and the boot is quite spacious. (Although I agree with you about the old Megane boot - although that doesn't look quite as ugly now as it did when it first came out - not that yu see many around now!)

Quote Originally Posted by Dashers View Post
    In the end we decided we didn't need to pay the 50% more and got the Zoe instead.
    Although your not comparing like with like. Renault have the mandatory battery hire costs which reduces the up front costs. If you use the lease option with the Leaf, the prices are comparable.
    (\__/)
    (='.'=)
    (")_(")

Thanks
    • directhex's system
      • Motherboard:
      • CPU:
      • Ryzen 5900x
      • Memory:
      • Storage:
      • Graphics card(s):
      • PSU:
      • EVGA SuperNOVA 850W G3
      • Case:
      • NZXT H210i
      • Operating System:
      • Monitor(s):
      • LG 34GN850
      • Internet:
      • FIOS

Quote Originally Posted by peterb View Post
    I suppose styling is a question of taste - but quite a few cars I thought looked odd when they were first released now look completely normal. I don't think the Leaf looks particularly ugly, but appearance isn't high in my priorities - and the boot is quite spacious. (Although I agree with you about the old Megane boot - although that doesn't look quite as ugly now as it did when it first came out - not that yu see many around now!)

Although your not comparing like with like. Renault have the mandatory battery hire costs which reduces the up front costs. If you use the lease option with the Leaf, the prices are comparable.
    You can buy a Zoe battery - see the models with an "i" prefix on the model name, i.e. "i Expression Nav" instead of "Expression Nav"

You're paying GBP5600 extra for the privilege

8. Received thanks from:

peterb (30-08-2017)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by directhex View Post
    You can buy a Zoe battery - see the models with an "i" prefix on the model name, i.e. "i Expression Nav" instead of "Expression Nav"

You're paying GBP5600 extra for the privilege
    Missed that - makes it slightly less expensive than the Leaf
    (\__/)
    (='.'=)
    (")_(")

Thanks
    • cheesemp's system
      • Motherboard:
      • ASUS TUF x570-plus
      • CPU:
      • Ryzen 3600
      • Memory:
      • 16gb Corsair RGB ram
      • Storage:
      • 256Gb NVMe + 500Gb TcSunbow SDD (cheap for games only)
      • Graphics card(s):
      • RX 480 8Gb Nitro+ OC (with auto OC to above 580 speeds!)
      • PSU:
      • Cooler Master MWE 750 bronze
      • Case:
      • Gamemax f15m
      • Operating System:
      • Win 11
      • Monitor(s):
      • 32" QHD AOC Q3279VWF
      • Internet:
      • FTTC ~35Mb

Interesting Peterb - I saw the same advert and was tempted to try one myself but skipped it as I didn't want the hassle when I knew I couldn't quite afford it at the moment. Did you get it from westway (I drive past the dealer everyday)? Did you consider a second hand one - I've seen Tekna's with ~30000 miles on the clock for ~£10000. Figure that even if the battery makes it pretty useless in 7 years that's not bad with no tax and very low fuel cost...

Did you try it on the M27/271 at all? I use both every day and just need a 40 mile a day commuter car (Wife has a large petrol car). I need to replace a 1.4 i20 so performance isn't such a big issue for me. I might try waiting to see if the flog off the old model closer to the new model launch?
    Trust

Laptop : Dell Inspiron 1545 with Ryzen 5500u, 16gb and 256 NVMe, Windows 11.

Thanks
    • Dashers's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Gigabyte GA-X99-UD4
      • CPU:
      • Intel i7-5930K
      • Memory:
      • 48GB Corsair DDR4 3000 Quad-channel
      • Storage:
      • Intel 750 PCIe SSD; RAID-0 x2 Samsung 840 EVO; RAID-0 x2 WD Black; RAID-0 x2 Crucial MX500
      • Graphics card(s):
      • MSI GeForce GTX 1070 Ti
      • PSU:
      • CoolerMaster Silent Pro M2 720W
      • Case:
      • Corsair 500R
      • Operating System:
      • Windows 10
      • Monitor(s):
      • Philips 40" 4K AMVA + 23.8" AOC 144Hz IPS
      • Internet:
      • Zen FTTC

Oh I agree, the Zoe and Leaf are not like for like, even if you buy a Zoe outright and don't use the battery rental scheme. But for our needs, we couldn't justify the clearly better Leaf over the Zoe.

I can't remember what the quote we had on the Leaf was, but in the end we got the Zoe on a cracking deal for £175/m with no deposit. Cheap motoring for sure!

I do much prefer the styling of the new leaf, although I don't think it has shrunk in length at all, which would put me off as it would still be a challenge to fit in my garage I think - especially with the mrs driving.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by cheesemp View Post
    Interesting Peterb - I saw the same advert and was tempted to try one myself but skipped it as I didn't want the hassle when I knew I couldn't quite afford it at the moment. Did you get it from westway (I drive past the dealer everyday)? Did you consider a second hand one - I've seen Tekna's with ~30000 miles on the clock for ~£10000. Figure that even if the battery makes it pretty useless in 7 years that's not bad with no tax and very low fuel cost...

Did you try it on the M27/271 at all? I use both every day and just need a 40 mile a day commuter car (Wife has a large petrol car). I need to replace a 1.4 i20 so performance isn't such a big issue for me. I might try waiting to see if the flog off the old model closer to the new model launch?
    Yes, it was Wesrway! I did do some motorway driving, no problems, even in eco mode acceleration was fine under most conditions and it's a moment to flick it out if you need that extra kick.

I was surprised at the lack of charging points though, there is one at Rownham services, a couple in Eastleigh, and one at Winchester services on the M3, but nothing on the A34 until you get to Chievley services at the M4 interchange. I don't think there are any on the M27 to Portsmouth.
    (\__/)
    (='.'=)
    (")_(")

Thanks
    • cheesemp's system
      • Motherboard:
      • ASUS TUF x570-plus
      • CPU:
      • Ryzen 3600
      • Memory:
      • 16gb Corsair RGB ram
      • Storage:
      • 256Gb NVMe + 500Gb TcSunbow SDD (cheap for games only)
      • Graphics card(s):
      • RX 480 8Gb Nitro+ OC (with auto OC to above 580 speeds!)
      • PSU:
      • Cooler Master MWE 750 bronze
      • Case:
      • Gamemax f15m
      • Operating System:
      • Win 11
      • Monitor(s):
      • 32" QHD AOC Q3279VWF
      • Internet:
      • FTTC ~35Mb

Quote Originally Posted by peterb View Post
    Yes, it was Wesrway! I did do some motorway driving, no problems, even in eco mode acceleration was fine under most conditions and it's a moment to flick it out if you need that extra kick.

I was surprised at the lack of charging points though, there is one at Rownham services, a couple in Eastleigh, and one at Winchester services on the M3, but nothing on the A34 until you get to Chievley services at the M4 interchange. I don't think there are any on the M27 to Portsmouth.
    Glad to hear it's ok on the motorway. The lack of charge points isn't a big issue for me as i'd never use the car for anything but the commute and the odd trip from the waterside to Southampton. Colleague's wife has had two leaf's and swears by them as a second car. Just wish I could pick one up within budget - hopefully I'll get a pay rise next month and can justify a tekna with the higher capacity battery if the price drops a bit.
    Trust

Laptop : Dell Inspiron 1545 with Ryzen 5500u, 16gb and 256 NVMe, Windows 11.

Thanks
    • Zak33's system
      • Storage:
      • Kingston HyperX SSD, Hitachi 1Tb
      • Graphics card(s):
      • Nvidia 1050
      • PSU:
      • Coolermaster 800w
      • Case:
      • Silverstone Fortress FT01
      • Operating System:
      • Win10
      • Internet:
      • Zen FTC uber speedy

Quote Originally Posted by directhex but heavily edited by Zak33

Right now, in the UK, outside Tesla pricing, the best drive is the ***snip / aything that has petrol or diesel in it *** snip
    come on... none of them are viable yet.. expensive junk waiting for a petrol car to come drag it off the road when it runs out of charge, which it will... v soon.

Quote Originally Posted by Advice Trinity by Knoxville
    "The second you aren't paying attention to the tool you're using, it will take your fingers from you. It does not know sympathy." |
    "If you don't gaffer it, it will gaffer you" | "Belt and braces"

Thanks
    • directhex's system
      • Motherboard:
      • CPU:
      • Ryzen 5900x
      • Memory:
      • Storage:
      • Graphics card(s):
      • PSU:
      • EVGA SuperNOVA 850W G3
      • Case:
      • NZXT H210i
      • Operating System:
      • Monitor(s):
      • LG 34GN850
      • Internet:
      • FIOS

2018 Leaf just announced. More range, less goofy-looking, cheaper. https://www.theverge.com/2017/9/6/16...o-launch-event

Thanks

Yes, very interesting - and a longer range model sdcheduled for next year. But 200 miles range - that is getting more useable than just for commuting to and from work.
    (\__/)
    (='.'=)
    (")_(")

Thanks
    • directhex's system
      • Motherboard:
      • CPU:
      • Ryzen 5900x
      • Memory:
      • Storage:
      • Graphics card(s):
      • PSU:
      • EVGA SuperNOVA 850W G3
      • Case:
      • NZXT H210i
      • Operating System:
      • Monitor(s):
      • LG 34GN850
      • Internet:
      • FIOS

It's getting there, but it's disappointing they are catching up to where Renault are already - but not Opel with a 50% bigger battery than this for about the same money

Registered+
    Thanks
    • PrettyFlower1's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Gigabyte B85M-DS3H-A
      • CPU:
      • Core i5 4570
      • Memory:
      • 12 GB
      • Storage:
      • Samsung Evo 850
      • Graphics card(s):
      • Zotac 1060 mini + AC Twin Turbo II
      • PSU:
      • Corsair VS 450
      • Case:
      • Corsair Carbide Air 240
      • Operating System:
      • Win 10 + Linux
      • Monitor(s):
      • Dell S2716DG
      • Internet:
      • Fibre 72Mbit

Thanks for the post. Am curious, as i guess most of us are, about electric car tech like this, but though it could (as present) cope with 90% of my needs well, when i currently drive to france for holidays (500+ miles each way with kids in the back) i need a stop to be no more than 20 - 30 mins, and i dont know if an electric car could do that for me yet.
    Still, thanks again!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information