BP ULTIMATE 102 UNLEADED
1. What is BP Ultimate 102 Unleaded?
A UK first! BP Ultimate 102 Unleaded is a precision engineered, high performance fuel. It has an Octane number of 102, it burns more completely and allows highly tuned engines to perform at their best. BP Ultimate 102 unleaded is the most advanced, high performance petrol sold on any forecourt in the UK.
2. Why has BP Ultimate 102 Unleaded been introduced/ Who is the target audience?
BP Ultimate 102 Unleaded has been developed with private motor sport enthusiasts in mind. They now have the chance to buy a fuel meeting the same high specifications used at the pinnacle of motor sport in Formula 1 and the World Rally Championship direct from forecourts. It has an Octane number of 102 and burns more completely to allow highly tuned engines to perform at their best. It is envisaged that motor sport enthusiasts will be able to fill up with BP Ultimate 102 unleaded on their way to motor racing circuits.
3. What are the benefits of using BP Ultimate 102 Unleaded / What’s so special about using BP Ultimate 102 Unleaded?
- High Research Octane Number (RON) of 102 and Motor Octane Number (MON) of 90 to allow engines to be tuned for increased performance and higher boost pressures
- Optimised formulation which allows the fuel to evaporate more readily in the engine, especially at high engine speeds, leading to more complete combustion, smoother, more responsive operation, better engine breathing and increased performance
- High oxygen content to improve combustion and increase energy release in the combustion chamber
- Exceptional purity, demonstrated by the crystal clear colour, resulting from the precision manufacturing process for this fuel. Impurities that would normally lead to deposits in the intake system and combustion chamber are removed allowing remarkable engine cleanliness. The clean engine results in better engine breathing and lower octane requirements, facilitating more advanced engine tuning
- Friction reduction in the upper cylinder, so that more of the fuel energy gets to the wheels with less wear and tear.
- Improved combustion process leading to better energy release and lower emissions. The sulphur free formulation also means that the catalyst works more efficiently, reducing exhaust pollutants more effectively
- Benzene free formulation for safer handling and lower benzene emissions
- High performance bio-component to help protect the environment.
3. Aren’t you just encouraging speeding by bringing out a higher octane fuel?
Absolutely not. BP Ultimate 102 unleaded has been developed for private motor racing enthusiasts to use under legal conditions, specifically with race tracks in mind. We remind customers on our pumps to drive according to road conditions and speed limits.
4. Does BP Ultimate unleaded 102 start working straight away?
If an engine has been highly tuned, performance benefits will be noticeable immediately. Full benefits will improve with continuous use.
5. Is there a Diesel 102 version, if not, why not?
No. BP Ultimate 102 is an unleaded fuel only. We recommend BP Ultimate Diesel as the highest performance diesel fuel available in the UK.
5. Is 102 replacing BP Ultimate 97 Unleaded?
No. BP Ultimate 102 unleaded is aimed at amateur race enthusiasts with highly tuned engines. For drivers who want to get the best out of their vehicles everday, BP Ultimate unleaded (97 RON) and BP Ultimate diesel (55 Cetane) still offer more performance and less pollution and are intended for all cars.
6. Why can’t I just use BP Ultimate 102 Unleaded instead of 97?
BP Ultimate 102 unleaded is recommended for vehicles with highly tuned engines. The fuel is fully compliant with the UK specification for unleaded petrol, which means it can be legally used on the road by any car. BP Ultimate 102 unleaded will not do any damage to your engine if it is not tuned but only cars that have been properly tuned will experience the full benefits of 102. BP Ultimate unleaded 97 also offers more performance and less pollution compared to ordinary fuels and is intended for all cars.
6. What’s the point in having two versions of BP Ultimate Unleaded?
We are proud to offer our customers a choice of fuels. Only cars that have been properly tuned will experience the benefits of BP Ultimate 102 unleaded. 97 is a high octane fuel that offers a cleaner engine, sharper acceleration and less emission release and is suitable for any car old or new.
7. Why isn’t 102 compatible with all cars?
BP Ultimate 102 is compatible with all cars but only those with tuned engines will notice the full performance benefits.
8. If I tune my engine to 102, can I still use a lower octane fuel?
If you have tuned your engine to 102 you are advised not to use lower octane fuels unless you are sure that it has been tuned in such a way that will allow this without problems. Use of lower octane fuels may require the vehicle to be restored to the original tuning. Please check with a competent person to avoid risk of engine damage.
9. Is BP Ultimate 102 unleaded suitable for older/classic racing cars?
Any vehicle that is able to run on ordinary unleaded fuels can use BP Ultimate 102 unleaded. It fully complies with the UK specification for unleaded petrol and will not damage any engine. The full benefits of BP Ultimate 102 unleaded petrol will be noticed from engines that have been highly tuned.
10. How much will BP Ultimate 102 Unleaded cost?
11. Given current fuel prices, how can this price be realistic?
BP Ultimate 102 unleaded is a specialist fuel aimed at motor sport enthusiasts. It is not meant to compete with any other premium fuel available at forecourts currently. Relative to fuels of this type available at race tracks or via mail order, we believe this is a very competitive price.
12. How can I be sure that of the quality of the fuel/that the octane level will not deteriorate from leaving the refinery/ that the fuel will not deteriorate from sitting in fuel tanks over time?
BP Ultimate 102 unleaded is effectively ‘hand made’ to a tightly controlled recipe in small, discrete batches. The result is a fuel with exceptional purity and consistently outstanding quality. And because we only use the finest components with superior resistance to oxidation, you can be assured that BP Ultimate 102 unleaded has excellent stability over extended storage periods. We are happy to provide batch certification with every purchase of BP Ultimate 102 unleaded to guarantee its quality.
13. Isn’t BP just copying Sunoco?
We are unable to comment on the specification of other fuels on the market. We believe that BP Ultimate 102 unleaded is the most advanced, high performance petrol available on a UK forecourt, and is built on BP technology developed through our long involvement in F1 and other classes of motorsport.
available as of 10am 24th April:
All Saints Self Serve
Commercial Road, Portsmouth, PO1 4BU
Tudor Filling Station
London Road, Allington, Kent, ME160HE
Canning Town, London, E16 1QX
Newbury Centre Filling Station,
758 Eastern Avenue, Newbury Park, Ilford, Essex, IG27HU
Wavendon Gate Connect,
Newport Road, Wavendon, Milton Keynes, MK77AG
Chichley Park Connect,
Tickford Street, Newport Pagnell, Bucks, MK16 9BD