Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: A Question on car allowance and fuel tax????

Thanks
    • schmunk's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Abit NF7-S v2.0
      • CPU:
      • AMD Athlon-M 2500+
      • Memory:
      • 1GB of Corsair BH-5 and 512MB of something else
      • Storage:
      • 160GB Seagate Barracuda
      • Graphics card(s):
      • ATI Radeon X800Pro, flashed to XT
      • PSU:
      • Hiper Type-M ~400W
      • Case:
      • Antec cheapy
      • Monitor(s):
      • AG Neovo F19 LCD
      • Internet:
      • Virgin Media 4MB/s

Re: A Question on car allowance and fuel tax????

Quote Originally Posted by Ivor View Post
    Chadders!

Thanks for the advise so far! I have just one more question. We (as a business) also have people who are self emploed contractors. The too are provided a fuel card by our company - yet still have to use their own vehicles. Are they able to claim on mileage as normal employees are?

Thank you for all your help.
    No, they can't as they're not employed. They should also be including the value of the fuel provided as part of their self-employment income for tax purposes. They *can* claim Capital Allowances against the capital invested in their cars.

Thanks
    • Zak33's system
      • Storage:
      • Kingston HyperX SSD, Hitachi 1Tb
      • Graphics card(s):
      • Nvidia 1050
      • PSU:
      • Coolermaster 800w
      • Case:
      • Silverstone Fortress FT01
      • Operating System:
      • Win10
      • Internet:
      • Zen FTC uber speedy

Quote Originally Posted by schmunk View Post
    No, they can't as they're not employed. They should also be including the value of the fuel provided as part of their self-employment income for tax purposes. They *can* claim Capital Allowances against the capital invested in their cars.
    Exactly as Schmunk says.

Quote Originally Posted by Advice Trinity by Knoxville
    "The second you aren't paying attention to the tool you're using, it will take your fingers from you. It does not know sympathy." |
    "If you don't gaffer it, it will gaffer you" | "Belt and braces"

Thanks

Exclamation Re: A Question on car allowance and fuel tax????

Hi all

I have advancements in my quest to see if my employers are following reguations.

My employer issued me the fuel card - and I have been told, I can only use it for business miles (when I leave Scotland and visit as far as Torquay). I have to use my own money when I am back home in Scotland for personal miles.

I have so far accumulated over 10'000 business miles since feb.

I thought the advantage of having a fuel card was to be able to use at all times (business and personal) and pay back the employers a certain amount per mile for personal milage??????
    Is it true that I should be taxed by means of PAYE so that I can eventually fill in a P87 and claim for mileage as I should pay some form of tax for using a fuel card? This is not happening and nothing is appearing on my wage slip. WILL I GET A HUGE TAX BILL AT THE END OF THE YEAR IF MY EMPLOYERS ARE GETTING IT WRONG?????

I have been instructed that I can not claim back 40p/25p per business mile at the end of the tax year by my employer - and that the fuel card (used only for travelling long distance) is completely taken care of and paid for by the company.

So how do I get depreciation/wear and tear for using my own personal car for business miles (no company car provided)?????

What is my next move? Advice would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Ivor View Post
    Hi all

So how do I get depreciation/wear and tear for using my own personal car for business miles (no company car provided)?????
    From what my employer thinks, the 40p per business mileage rate is meant to cover all aspects of using private cars for business purposes (fuel, depreciation, wear/tear).

HMRC seriously needs to review the 40p business mileage rate! hasn't changed in 6 years I'm led to believe.

Thanks

I agree! It is a little low!

My employers are not playing by the rules I think. They either have to let me use the fuel card for personal mileage also. Because at the minute - I am clocking up thousands of business miles and they just pay four the fuel as I do it!
    I just dont want to recieve a huge tax bill at the end of the year as there is no allowance indication on my wage slip.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread Information