I'd like to dive into the world of case modding by righting one of the wrongs (IMHO) of the 900D's design. My goal is to modify the 5.25" bay covers so that they "stealth" my ODD and fan controller. They need to be easily and repeatedly removable and they must remain as flush as possible with the other, unmodified covers so as to appear completely stock.

What I thought I'd do was simply cut the retention clips off of the back of the covers. Sand them so there's no nasty rough edges. Then I'd attach them to the chassis either using Velcro or magnetic tape. Both of which have pros and cons. I'm also considering mounting the ODD and fan controller covers in different ways. The fan controller cover would be mounted to the chassis but the ODD cover would be mounted to the ODD tray itself.

So, how does my plan look? Could anyone offer a few words of wisdom to a novice?... specifically regarding the magnetic tape and it's proximity to the fan controller's LCD screen (it'd be at least 1cm maybe 2cm apart).