Thread: 350d top cover

Thanks

350d top cover

Just bought a Corsair 350D top cover - part number CC-8930166

it finishes the case off nicely. It is a metal mesh with magnetic strips that fills in the space on the top of the case.

Ordered from the Corsair UK website and arrived by DHL a couple of days later. (Not a part Scan carry)

Not able top post a pic until I've got more posts - I'll be back once I've done a few more :-)

Hope this helps anyone thinking of buying one

Finishes the case off nicely

Tim

2. Received thanks from:

Willzzz (14-04-2015)

Corsair Rep
    Thanks

Re: 350d top cover

Hi Tim,
    It is very nice of you to post your feedback with the 350D top cover, and much appreciated for sharing your purchase experience with our UK online store I hope others will find this post useful.

Post some pics of your system with the new top cover installed, as I am sure that other 350D owners will be interested to see an actual photo Thanks again.

Seriously casual gamer KeyboardDemon's Avatar
    Thanks
    • KeyboardDemon's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Asus Sabretooth Z77
      • CPU:
      • i7 3770k + Corsair H80 (Refurbed)
      • Memory:
      • 16gb (4x4gb) Corsair Vengence Red (1866mhz) - (Because it looks good in a black mobo)
      • Storage:
      • Crucial M550 SSD 1TB + 2x 500GB Seagate HDDs
      • Graphics card(s):
      • EVGA GTX 980 SC ACX 2.0 (Warranty replacement for 780Ti SC ACX)
      • PSU:
      • EVGA 750 watt SuperNova G2
      • Case:
      • Silverstone RV03
      • Operating System:
      • Windows 10 Pro 64 Bit
      • Monitor(s):
      • Asus Swift PG278Q
      • Internet:
      • BT Infinity (40mbs dl/10mbs ul)

@brainz2000: Maybe you could also post about your experience with the case itself, these are some of the things I'd like to know:-

• How was it to work in? What worked well for you?
    • What challenges did this case present?
    • Why did you pick this case over other options?
    • How does it compare to other cases you have used before? etc....

I'm strongly considering a Corsair case for my next build or possibly just to transplant my rig from my current case into a newer case as my current case is PITA when I need to make changes, at the moment I have short listed the 350D, Air 540 and I'm also thinking about one or two cases from other manufacturers, but so far the Corsair cases are still my favourites. Brief details would be very helpful for me and would be much appreciated.
    Last edited by KeyboardDemon; 14-04-2015 at 09:54 AM.

Thanks
    • Willzzz's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Gigabyte
      • CPU:
      • PSU:
      • FD Newton R3 600W
      • Case:
      • Corsair 350D

Thanks for that brainz.

I absolutely love my 350D, best case I have ever worked with. But I was quite staggered that a top cover was not included in the original package.

£3.99 isn't bad I suppose, but the postage seems a little steep. Maybe I'll wait until somewhere with free postage stocks it :/

Thanks
    • Willzzz's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Gigabyte
      • CPU:
      • PSU:
      • FD Newton R3 600W
      • Case:
      • Corsair 350D

Quote Originally Posted by KeyboardDemon View Post
    I chose a 350D as the case for a new build two years ago. I chose it because it is beautiful, modestly sized and as it turned out extremely easy to build into.

I cannot recall any issues at all aside from the lack of a top cover.

Let me know if you have any more specific questions.

Corsair Rep
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by KeyboardDemon View Post
    For me, I think is the compact size, not having to waste tons of unused space. It's pretty spot on with what I have put inside (REIII Gene). I've been a big fan of Obsidian look design, subtle and very classy with clean lines. My first Obsidian was the 800D and fell in love with it, but as time goes by, space has become an issue and the compact size of the 350D with out losing the classic Obsidian look what really did it for me. The ease of working with the case is another huge plus for me. You'd think that the case will have limited space to work in, but once you do that hands on building your system, you'd be surprised that there is actually just enough space for you to make the build much easier. Never had air flow issue, nor temp issue since owning the case.

Quote Originally Posted by Willzzz View Post
    as it turned out extremely easy to build into.
    Seems to be the most common compliment this case gets among owners

Thanks

OK - here are my build experiences, but go easy on me as this is my first build in about 10 years ...

The case is really easy to build in and not too cramped. Cable management is great with routing via the grommeted holes to the back of the motherboard.

I fitted a Gigabyte H97M-D3H motherboard and I have one question about that ...

The case screws included a motherboard spacer, and for the life of me I couldn't work out how it was supposed to be used, or in which hole in the motherboard.

I have a Intel Core i5-4590 3.30GHz mounted with 16GB of Corsair RAM. I pre-mounted the CPU before fitting the board, using the stock CPU cooler. One thing I have noticed is that there is a small vibration from the CPU cooler, even at low revs, if the case is not perfectly upright. I think this is related to the lack of the spacer being used to support the board, so if someone can point me in the right direction for how to use it I'd be gratedful - I think it will silence my build ...

The PSU is bottom mounted in the case - it went in first - it is a 500W EVGA and went in with the fan facing upwards... I wasn't sure which way up it was supposed to go ...

Inside the case, the fit of the CD drive is great with a tool less click fit.

I also fitted an SSD (Samsung 250GB 850 EVO - OMG how fast!).My only observation about fitting this in the 2.5" drive bay is that the bay is very plasticy and the drive is very light and doesn't really get gripped by the drive bay. These were designed for chunkier SATA conventional drives and there are no screw hole mounts to seat it properly - a real shame. Given no moving parts this is not a problem, and the weight of a conventional drive would make it sit in properly - room for improvement IMHO.

The mounts for 3.5" HDs are fine and I have reused a couple of drives in here for music and film storage duties.

There are a couple of other observations that the drive light connectors are not marked + and - so I had to try them different ways round and the instructions don't tell you which screws to use to secure the Power Supply - I still don't know if I've got the right ones, but it is in and fixed ...

So there is all my thoughts - overall a great case and all the items I have mentioned are really nit-picking ... but as you are interested, I am happy to share.

It took me, about 2 hours to complete my first build in 10 years, and with no problems at all it worked first time - not like the old days ...

Windows 8.1 install took less than 20 mins and the machine flies ...

Annoyingly I can't post a url until I have 5 posts so no pic here

Am about to put in a couple of other posts so I can ....

Any questions - just let me know

Thanks

Tim

Thanks

One question I didn't answer was why did I pick it

In short I didn't ... it was the case recommended over the much cheaper case I had in mind that was out of stock - I allowed myself to be talked into it to be fair - it was the size that I wanted - I didn't want a full size tower...

In terms of comparison to other cases - hard ... I've never spent more than £25 on a generic shred your fingers on the unfinished edges case before ... No competition ...

I've also used worked on lots of Dell toolfree cases and you could do with looking at some of their ways of fixing HDs etc as they are better than the Corsair mounts, especially for 2.5" drives

Thanks

Now I've made it to the 5 post barrier, here is a pic of the cover on the top of the box ...

https://drive.google.com/file/d/0Byx...ew?usp=sharing

I think it should be in the box to be honest, given the price and the fact that it would make the case more of a general case ...

What do you think ?

11. Received thanks from:

Willzzz (14-04-2015)

Thanks

Final thought - here is how my vanilla system benchmarks

Total cost was a bit over £550 - could have been less with less RAM and a smaller SSD

(More RAM will be used for Virtual Machines etc)

Quite impressed with the performance for the cost - my Dell work laptop scores 300 in comparison...

The SSD speed impresses me most ...

More details below

Tim

Verified NovaBench Score: 835

Test run on April 10, 2015 at 13:47
    Microsoft Windows 8.1 Pro

Intel Intel Core i5-4590 3.30GHz running at 3301 MHz

intel Intel HD Graphics 4600 GPU

16250 MB System RAM (Score: 237)
    - RAM Speed: 12091 MB/s

CPU Tests (Score: 501)
    - Floating Point Operations/Second: 102771416
    - Integer Operations/Second: 458532520
    - MD5 Hashes Generated/Second: 1289120

Graphics Tests (Score: 61)
    - 3D Frames Per Second: 200

Hardware Tests (Score: 36)
    - Primary Partition Capacity: 209 GB
    - Drive Write Speed: 206 MB/s

Thanks
    • Willzzz's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Gigabyte
      • CPU:
      • PSU:
      • FD Newton R3 600W
      • Case:
      • Corsair 350D

Quote Originally Posted by brainz2000 View Post
    I think it should be in the box to be honest, given the price and the fact that it would make the case more of a general case ...

What do you think ?
    Yeah totally.
    The case is incomplete without it, or they could include a H100i that would be fine too

Corsair Rep
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Willzzz View Post
    Yeah totally.
    The case is incomplete without it, or they could include a H100i that would be fine too
    That'd be a sweet deal, but the Case product manager will get fired along with the cooler product manager and there goes our business hehe

Thread Information