Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: What do you think of this case? (project)

Thanks
    • Pob255's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Asus M5A99X EVO
      • CPU:
      • FX8350 & CM Hyper 212+
      • Memory:
      • 4 x 2gb Corsair Vengence 1600mhz cas9
      • Storage:
      • 512gb samsung SSD +1tb Samsung HDD
      • Graphics card(s):
      • EGVA GTX970
      • PSU:
      • Seasonic GX 650W
      • Case:
      • HAF 912+
      • Operating System:
      • W7 Pro
      • Monitor(s):
      • iiyama XB3270QS-B1 32" IPS 1440p
    Opps, last night while checking the Sharkoon fans to see if soft mounting tham would have much effect of there volume (it didn't btw) I was removeing the fan in the middle from the plastic bracket, I didn't wait for the blades to stop spinning, caught the bracket and . . .
    I almost got hit in the head by a flying fan blade.

Now I'm going to have to replce that fan, when missing a blade they really vibrate, doesn't effect the sound too much at low speeds but I can feel the viberation through the whole case.

Ho hum, I was going to order some more bits for it on monday so I'll just have to add a new fan to the list, going to get one of the golfball ones and see how that compairs.

Tried to glue it as a temp fix, no good, after a couple of min it comes lose and starts clipping the fan frame.

Senior Citizen.
    Thanks
    • daza's system
      • Motherboard:
      • DFI P35 (the green one)
      • CPU:
      • X3210 @ 3.6ghz 1.38v
      • Memory:
      • OCZ Sli PC8500 @ 1050 mhz
      • Storage:
      • 6x 160gb hitachi Deskstars.
      • Graphics card(s):
      • 8800GTS (640mb) @ 630/2000
      • PSU:
      • 750w Corsair PSU
      • Case:
      • Lian LI V2000
      • Monitor(s):
      • 2x 19" daewoo @ 1440x900
      • Internet:
      • 8meg BT.
    The sharkoon 2000's are inaudible when undervolted to 7v btw, and still move a fair amount of air.

At 12v the noise is some what annoying but cant be heard over the sound of bf2142.

Thanks
    • Pob255's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Asus M5A99X EVO
      • CPU:
      • FX8350 & CM Hyper 212+
      • Memory:
      • Storage:
      • Graphics card(s):
      • EGVA GTX970
      • PSU:
      • Seasonic GX 650W
      • Case:
      • HAF 912+
      • Operating System:
      • W7 Pro
      • Monitor(s):
    Well if you read through you'll see the fan was a Sharkoon Sys. Fan Power http://www.scan.co.uk/Products/Produ...oductID=590758 I just looked for the fans that could shift the most air then tune them with a Zalman fan controller, the 2000rpm golfball is not as fast or pushes as much air, but it is running slower.
    The main reason, it that the golfball is a little more money, and the 1000rpm golfball vs 1000rpm normal sharkoon, the golfball wins as it's pushing more air at less noise (by given stats)

But I do like these 2400rpm basic sharkoons, at minimum on the zalman they are slient, at 50% the freezer 7 pro is louder at full and they shiif a good amount of air even at minimum.

Thanks
    You've done a very good job, keep us updated.
    Deo Adjuvante non Timendum

Thanks
    • Pob255's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Asus M5A99X EVO
      • CPU:
      • FX8350 & CM Hyper 212+
      • Memory:
      • Storage:
      • Graphics card(s):
      • EGVA GTX970
      • PSU:
      • Seasonic GX 650W
      • Case:
      • HAF 912+
      • Operating System:
      • W7 Pro
      • Monitor(s):
    Well some new bit has been ordered from Scan.
    a coolermaster 120mm blue LED fan, should have 4 led's and be brighter than the Xclio fan for the front.
    2000rpm sharkoon golfball fan 120mm, to replace the fan I broke.
    4" blue Sharkoon light (2 in the pack) To go behind the front pannel and shine out of the grill, I ditched the purple as it's more pink than purple.
    A rear USB plate that connects to the motherboard, with luck I can dissasemble/cut it up to make 2 front USB connectors.
    2 USB extention cables, back up incase the above fails, I'll run the cables through the case.
    Akasa Pax mate sound proofing foam. Not the best stuff but a 3rd of the price of the Acousti stuff.

Now I took the opertunity to sand down the udercoat and put on a 2nd layer.
    Also poped around to a local art shop to get some acrylic paint to paint the case with when finished.
    I'm going for acrylic as I know how to use it (haveing used it alot) and it's going to be far far less hassle than the spirit based red oxide metal primer I've used.
    I wanted some system3 stuff as it's cheap and I know how to work that stuff to get resaults from it, However the only stuff they had was by Lascaux (Lascaux is the make, I've seen it before but never used it as it's expensive)
    I got a bottle of black at £12.75+vat (system3 is about £6) also got a small bottle of copper paint.
    For thoes intrested I did a test strip on the front of the case (not getting anymore undercoat as it'll be hidden by the front pannel

That is one coat of black, it'll need two as it's not 100% covarage (good paint)
    the top copper band is two coats of copper
    the next one down is one coat with added turmeric
    the bottom band is one coat
    Now theres a problem with the copper paint in that it's good quality suff which means it's made of a clear acrylic medium with finely ground copper in it, this is the best way to get a True copper colour, but I'm after paint that looks like copper.
    The distinction is small the problem is that I'm going to need 4 coats of paint to get a solid copper colour because of the clear medium, cheap paints use additional pigment to colour the medium which gives a more solid colour but it not Ture copper.
    That's why I did a quick experiment by adding some turmeric to the paint to act as a pigment, it's hard to tell from that photo but it's more yellow than the top patch but covers better than the lower patch.

PS While the case is drying, I couldn't be bothered to reassemble my old case as I'll have to put it all in the new case again tomorrow if all goes to plan.

So welcome to the Floor PC

Registered+
    Thanks
    I hope you don't sneeze over it!

Thanks
    • Pob255's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Asus M5A99X EVO
      • CPU:
      • FX8350 & CM Hyper 212+
      • Memory:
      • Storage:
      • Graphics card(s):
      • EGVA GTX970
      • PSU:
      • Seasonic GX 650W
      • Case:
      • HAF 912+
      • Operating System:
      • W7 Pro
      • Monitor(s):

Re: What do you think of this case? (project)

I'm more worried about running over it with my office chair

Just a quick update while I wait for the city-link driver to actually find where I live this time

I've finished the 4th Undercoat layer, yep I'm not so much painting this PC more lackering it
    One thing to note here, if I had to do this over I would deffinately not use this redoxide primer again.
    It's spirit based which is always a hassle cleaning up after, it's far too thick which lead to a stippled effect on the surface after each coat with the roller and the final surface is a little too plasticy for my likeing.
    If I had too to use it again, I think thinning it down with white spirit would help improve it, although it has worked really well on the balconey railings.

While waiting for city-link yesterday, I did a couple of experiments on the front pannel, I mixed the copper acrylic with some red and yellow acrylic I had (1 part copper, 1 part red, 2 part yellow) and tried this mix out on the grill.
    It went on the front ok as the surface is slightly rough, but on the smooth vanes of the gill it didn't (also colour was a little too yellow) so I got the drimmel out and had a play with some of the differnt heads to try and roughten it a bit.
    The wire brush head seemed to take the smooth surface off without causeing too much damage but it wasn't easy and takeing too long. A soft sanding disk (it's bits of fine grade sand paper cut into circles, not the solid sanding disks) took the surface off ok but eat into the grill and couldn't easily get to the whole vane (they are angled)
    It was all a bit tricky and fiddly (quick Bad ASCII art diagram)

back of grill > front of grill
    _/l
    _/l
    _/l

if that sort of makes sense, the front has slots in it to form the grill, the vanes off the slots angle out from the front then strighten, makeing it almost impossible to get the drimmel head flat against the vane to tak off the surface.
    I ended up doing it buy hand, with a bit of rolled up sand paper, while keeping an ear out for city-link

I next tried a mix of 1 copper, 1 red and 1 yellow, this was a bit too red for my likeing but it covered the newly roughtened surfaces well so I stuck with it and once a couple of layers of stright copper paint have gone over it it'll be fine.

Well 5:30 rolled around and still no city-link

applogise for the bad mouthing, but they've really pissed me off, I wanted to sand down the case, but didn't want to risk going out onto the balconey incase I didn't hear the door I'm still mad as I find myself doing the same thing again today (and if you read any stories in the news about a driver who's had to have an AtoZ and satnav surgically removed you'll know what's happened today)
    Back to the case

I ended up sanding down the case at 7pm managed to get it all done before the sun set.
    I've found that from my packet of sand paper I bought (actually emmory paper) the grain sizes are called number 2, number 1 and number 0/3
    For sanding down this redoxide paint, the 2 is a bit too scratchy, the 1 worked better for smoothing off the stippling, followed buy the 0/3 to remove any scratches.
    Even though I was useing my rubber sanding block I kept being too heavy at the edges (I had bear mettal peaking through after the sanding on the first 2 coats) so I used some masking tape to mask off the edges to stop me oversanding them.
    Also found that the plasticy nature of the redoxide would clog the sandpaper very quickly, but used wet it gave far better resaults. Also produced a red paste as I worked so had to wipe down and add more water as I went.

After this fainal undercoat sand it's pritty smooth and I took the whole thing into the shower to give it a really thourgher wash and rinse (I wiped it down and rinced it with a bit of water after the other sands, but it would still leave a powedery coating to it (wipeing a finger across would show it on the finger), the shower worked well and I applied a quick thin coat of black Acrylic with a normal wide paintbrush (as both my roller heads are now cloged with redoxide) it's now matte black, patchy with streaks of redoxide showing through. but considering how thin and watered down a coat I used it's a very good resault from that paint.

A few more coats and it'll be a nice solid black

and it only takes 20-30min to dry unlike the 16hours of the redoxide coats.

Thanks
    • Platinum's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Asus X99 Deluxue
      • CPU:
      • Core i7 5930k @ 4GHz
      • Memory:
      • 32gb Crucial 2400MHz
      • Storage:
      • 256gb Samsung SP941, 1tb MX500 Crucial SSD, 240gb Intel 730 SSD
      • Graphics card(s):
      • Sapphire R9 Fury OC
      • PSU:
      • 750 Watt Corsair HX
      • Case:
      • Corsiar 750D
      • Operating System:
      • Windows 10 Pro
      • Monitor(s):
      • Dell 2408WFP
      • Internet:
      • 18Mb

Quote Originally Posted by MrP View Post
    (was about 18" high, 18" long and 12" wide)
    Reminds me of a episode of bottom
    Salazaar : <Touching wood as I write this...>

Jay
    Thanks

nice!!

I think that is really a re badged compaq server case. I can tell you the old compaq server cases where VERY well made, shame about the stuff they put in them really.

Thanks
    • Pob255's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Asus M5A99X EVO
      • CPU:
      • FX8350 & CM Hyper 212+
      • Memory:
      • Storage:
      • Graphics card(s):
      • EGVA GTX970
      • PSU:
      • Seasonic GX 650W
      • Case:
      • HAF 912+
      • Operating System:
      • W7 Pro
      • Monitor(s):

Well with the new bit arived I've been hacking up my case a bit more.

I cut two holes for the usb connectors in bothe the plastic and metal mesh.
    Another hole in both for the Sharkoon Light tube power switch
    and two holes in the mesh for the light tubes so they are not restricted.

It now looks like this

With power

Closed with power

currently the girll is just painted with my orange/copper mix, I'm hopeing that with layers of pure copper paint it should be far more reflective and the light should shine through better.
    I did originally plan on haveing the light tubes at the edges of the grill, but I cannot put the left one there as the hard drive cage is riveted to the front there.

I didn't expect the Sharkoon to come with a power switch but I discovered it fit just nicely once I'd hacked a hole in the plastic frontage.

I'm sure I ment to order a 4 led coolermaster fan but I think I ordered the Xcilo 4led fan by mistake.
    Well that the one on my order and I received. never mind, it still works and glows better than the 1led fan I had before.
    However just like the 1led Xcilo fan it vibrates it's frame something rotten when it's on, which causes a really annoying buzz.
    However as can bee seen it the first pic, I've cut up a couple of hairbands and used the to tie it on tight, also use some of my rubber speaker feet I mentioned a couple of posts back, so the fan is held off the case by the feet and held on tightly by the hair bands.
    It worked a treat, I could barely hear it over the 80mm fan in the PSU I hooked up to test these bits. and that's running at it's max speed.

Thanks
    • M0nkeyb0Y's system
      • Motherboard:
      • DFI DK X58 T3 eH6
      • CPU:
      • Intel Core i7 930
      • Memory:
      • Corsair 6GB (3x2GB) DDR3 1600
      • Storage:
      • Boot: Intel SSD (80gb); + >3Tb
      • Graphics card(s):
      • ati 5870
      • PSU:
      • Corsair 750w modular
      • Case:
      • see thread in my sig
      • Operating System:
      • Windows 7 Professional
      • Monitor(s):
      • NEC EA 231wmi
      • Internet:
      • 16MB/s

My eyes!

looking good mate

Thanks
    • Pob255's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Asus M5A99X EVO
      • CPU:
      • FX8350 & CM Hyper 212+
      • Memory:
      • Storage:
      • Graphics card(s):
      • EGVA GTX970
      • PSU:
      • Seasonic GX 650W
      • Case:
      • HAF 912+
      • Operating System:
      • W7 Pro
      • Monitor(s):

Ta all.

Another quick update.

Because I think just a plain black box looks a little boring I'm adding some detail to break it up a bit.
    I've used some thin Patern card, it's stuff you get in big rolls for makeing clothes paterns, I used it as my girl friend had a load of off cuts so it was to hand.

This is what the final detail patern looks like. (also added a 2nd thin coat of black)

After a couple more coats of black, I'll paint the raised detail strips in copper.

Registered+
    Thanks

All it needs now is wings!

z

Thanks
    • Pob255's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Asus M5A99X EVO
      • CPU:
      • FX8350 & CM Hyper 212+
      • Memory:
      • Storage:
      • Graphics card(s):
      • EGVA GTX970
      • PSU:
      • Seasonic GX 650W
      • Case:
      • HAF 912+
      • Operating System:
      • W7 Pro
      • Monitor(s):

Finally very very almost finished

all the case painting is done, (I've only roughly backed out some of the case internals (left drive cages grey) 2 more coats of black and coppered every thing that should be copper
    Here's how thr front pannel looks, I'm holding it up to the light which reflects off the copper well.

Just to clarify the light is directly behind the pannel and is reflecting through the angled grills

Now I started putting it all back together again.
    I've used a Glue gun to mount the rear sharkoon, it worked so well I didn't need to bother with any screws which was great as the holes didn't line up quite correctly.
    after that I thought I'd try the glue gun on the side pannel Xcilo, it worked a treat.

However, yes there had to be one, even though I'd used my foam feet on the fan and glue gunned around the edge the glue is carring the fan frame vibration onto the side pannel, so I'd got buzzing again and I could feel the vibrations in the side pannel quite well with my hand

So I had to remove the side fan, which proved harder than I expected (that glue gun works very well ) Once off and all the glue pealed away, I mounted it with elastic hair bands, same as the front xcilo.
    Still a very slight buzz when connected directly to a psu (ie full 12v) I should be able to tweak the buzz away once it's hooked up to my fan controller.

I also glue gunned in the motherboard tray and the 2 front lights.
    This is how it's finally looking (just got to put all the components back in and extend the wires of the power switch, pwr & hd lights and USB connectors)

Sorry about the bad photos, this camera really don't not like the matte black finish of the paint.

EDIT: Also got to sort out the Akasa Pax mate sonud proffing.
    Last edited by Pob255; 13-08-2007 at 09:49 PM.

Thanks
    • mightymouse's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Asus Striker Extreme
      • CPU:
      • Intel Core2Duo Q6600
      • Memory:
      • 2 x 1GB Corsair Dominator PC8500
      • Storage:
      • 2 x 500GB Samsung T166 RAID0, 1 x 500GB Western Digital
      • Graphics card(s):
      • XFX GeForce 8800 GT OC 512MB
      • PSU:
      • Enermax Galaxy 1000W
      • Case:
      • CM Stacker 830 - nVidia
      • Monitor(s):
      • LG 22"
      • Internet:
      • O2 Internet

hey mate,

GOOD JOB bud, just want you to know how interesting it is to read about your project. keep on the good work. I wished I had the time and space for it.

Cheers

Thanks
    • Pob255's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Asus M5A99X EVO
      • CPU:
      • FX8350 & CM Hyper 212+
      • Memory:
      • Storage:
      • Graphics card(s):
      • EGVA GTX970
      • PSU:
      • Seasonic GX 650W
      • Case:
      • HAF 912+
      • Operating System:
      • W7 Pro
      • Monitor(s):

Thanks MightyMouse

And just for thoes intrested, here's the inside of the case.

I've stuck the Pax mate on the side pannel, bottom, top of main area, also the top and other side on the top area. (ie above and behind the PSU in that pic)
    I've still got one large sheet of pax mate, which I'll probably cut up and stick on any flat surface I can

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread Information