Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Touch Textbooks on the iPad

Thanks

Touch Textbooks on the iPad

Hello everyone,

I recently saw an inquiry on this forum regarding a web app called Touch Textbooks. I own an iPad, and I have been using Touch Textbooks to download all my college textbooks to my iPad for free, for about 2 weeks now.

It is extremely handy, especially since I no longer have to pay $150+ per textbook. Are any of you iPad owners using Touch Textbooks to download textbooks to iPad? How are you finding it? What textbooks are you saving money on?

Cheers,

Amelia

Registered+
    Thanks

Re: Touch Textbooks on the iPad

Quote Originally Posted by amelia3210 View Post
    I no longer have to pay $150+ per textbook.
    I don't think the economic model will hold since the thing that cost most about textbook is not the paper but whats printed on it. I really costs a lot of money a publish such a book and on the long run, the books quality might suffer.

I'm not sure i'm right on this thing, but this is my general feeling.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by amelia3210 View Post
    Hello everyone,

I recently saw an inquiry on this forum regarding a web app called Touch Textbooks. I own an iPad, and I have been using Touch Textbooks to download all my college textbooks to my iPad for free, for about 2 weeks now.

It is extremely handy, especially since I no longer have to pay $150+ per textbook. Are any of you iPad owners using Touch Textbooks to download textbooks to iPad? How are you finding it? What textbooks are you saving money on?

Cheers,

Amelia
    Its definitely a great idea to buy textbooks online. I personally am one of the few people who advocate on this one as we can save more trees, save money on transportation cost thereby lower gas emissions, and save money for other expenses for the semester.

There are some websites that built a platform where students can collaborate to swap, sell, and buy books online. You can try those websites as well.

Registered+
    Thanks

Dear Amelia,

Buying books on line is fine, all mine are available, and the cost of the download versions to the reader is the price of the paper version, MINUS the cost of printing. As printing is far and away the most expensive part, {about 80% of the cost of my books on lulu.com} buying a download is very cost effective to the consumer.

But the operative word is buying.

The content of any book is the intellectual property of the author during their lifetime, and for seventy years afterwards {in the UK,} it is immoral to distribute it free without permission, and illegal too, I'm happy to say.
    You did not mention 'permission.' As an author myself, I do hope that somewhere in the download process the correct Royalty is being paid to the authors of your books. {Maybe by your College for the rights, I don't know, but there should be some sort of agreement somewhere.}

One of the main reasons for the very advantageous pricing that I use, is to actively discourage piracy, 'Why cheat and steal to hack me illegally, when a legal copy is £2.50.' {What's that these days, a pie and a pint? Or maybe just the pint?}

I know the dedicated hacker will hack me anyway, it's just his nature, like leprosy, but the honest majority will not feel that I am 'ripping them off' and gladly pay up.
    And I don't include a diatribe about Piracy at the beginning of the book, like certain well known film companies do on their legally purchased DVDs. {If you think that you have spotted an exposed nerve there, you are so right!}

This is not a rant at you Amelia, more like a knee jerk reaction to 'free downloads.'
    TANSTAAFL, as Robert A. Heinlein would say.

Regards,

Petra.

Thanks

I actually agree with Petra concerning piracy. This is not about Amelia but a discussion on the use of free downloads when legal ones are out there but we cannot deny that there really are great books that can be downloaded for free. Much of like open source textbooks. US News actually discuss these resources. Too bad I cannot put the link here.

Thanks

Yes....intellectual property needs to be rewarded. This is one of the downsides of internet....pirated books can be downloaded easily. Maybe ISPs need to play a more proactive role in blocking such sites..guess some countries have such regulations at least about downloading free music as far as I know.

Thanks

Wow touch textbooks on the iPad was cool and more convenient. I think schools must support the use of these textbooks.

Registered+
    Thanks

It's really convenient having your textbook downloaded on your iPad or whatever other digital devices you have.
    Personally I prefer books over E-book because of the feel of books but for textbooks and other thick, reference books or whatnot I think e-Book is a much better choice.
    Although I think it's quite inappropriate to download books for free nothing against you but the whole piracy industry is messed up. Intellectual property is the worst. I mean, why would people "steal" for 3 pounds or something like that? I mean, give the people who wrote those books someway to continue their living like seriously??!!

Kendoka - Kendo For Life! IronWarrior's Avatar
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by CarrierPigeon View Post
    It's really convenient having your textbook downloaded on your iPad or whatever other digital devices you have.
    Personally I prefer books over E-book because of the feel of books but for textbooks and other thick, reference books or whatnot I think e-Book is a much better choice.
    Although I think it's quite inappropriate to download books for free nothing against you but the whole piracy industry is messed up. Intellectual property is the worst. I mean, why would people "steal" for 3 pounds or something like that? I mean, give the people who wrote those books someway to continue their living like seriously??!!
    I'm sorry, but if you copy an item, you not stealing it, you making a copy, so you still have a copy and I have a copy and whoever wrote that book still got paid for that book.

If I steal your iPad, you don't have an iPad anymore, but I have one, that's stealing.

But yeah if something costs £3 then that's a fair price, I be happy to pay that.

Registered+
    Thanks

Iron Warrior,

You have missed the point of Intellectual Property Sale.

Should you ever purchase one of my books by download, you have purchased a COPY.

That SINGE COPY is yours, to do with as you wish EXCEPT COPY it; DUPLICATE it for a friend; allow an enemy to do so; or REDISTRIBUTE it in any way; etc.; etc.; all of those infringe copyright law. {In my case, they are also specifically forbidden on Page Four of each book.}
    The very good reason for this is that there are many people that think like you do, but take it the step further and SELL the copies made.

Making a copy of someone else's copy is illegal, no matter what arguments you may dream up to cloud the issue.

Regards,
    Petra.

Registered+
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Petra Ceason View Post
    Iron Warrior,

Should you ever purchase one of my books by download, you have purchased a COPY.

That SINGE COPY is yours, to do with as you wish EXCEPT COPY it; DUPLICATE it for a friend; allow an enemy to do so; or REDISTRIBUTE it in any way; etc.; etc.; all of those infringe copyright law. {In my case, they are also specifically forbidden on Page Four of each book.}
    The very good reason for this is that there are many people that think like you do, but take it the step further and SELL the copies made.

Making a copy of someone else's copy is illegal, no matter what arguments you may dream up to cloud the issue.

Regards,
    Petra.
    There are exceptions that I know of at University where disabled students can make copies of x,y,z with certain limitations and permissions, though I must say I don't know the specifics. I mention this because the topic of the thread was textbooks in particular.

In any case I don't advocate doing anything outside of the law re. Intellectual Property Sale.

Kendoka - Kendo For Life! IronWarrior's Avatar
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Petra Ceason View Post
    Iron Warrior,

Regards,
    Petra.
    If I buy something, it belongs to me and since it belongs to me, I will do whatever I want with it, be it to read it, watch it, use it, dump it, share it, burn it or give it away etc.

But, I don't think people should sell copies or sell them like they are created it, that's wrong, I believe you should give credit where it's due.

Registered+
    Thanks

[QUOTE=distracted247;2547809]There are exceptions that I know of at University where disabled students can make copies of x,y,z with certain limitations and permissions, though I must say I don't know the specifics. I mention this because the topic of the thread was textbooks in particular.

I am pleased to see that Common Sense is being applied rather than arbitrary rigid rules, and also that our viewpoints are not that far apart after all Iron Warrior.

Regards,
    Petra.

Thanks

very nice and informative post. but do you think, that ebooks can replace the textbook (hard books). As still there are peoples who love hard copies and its easy for them to read.

Registered+
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by IronWarrior View Post
    If I buy something, it belongs to me and since it belongs to me, I will do whatever I want with it, be it to read it, watch it, use it, dump it, share it, burn it or give it away etc.

But, I don't think people should sell copies or sell them like they are created it, that's wrong, I believe you should give credit where it's due.
    You are not allowed to redistribute a book/intellectual property to gain profits for yourself. Not only is that wrong it's also illegal.
    Scanning and sharing it online will be illegal because you are posting the information without the consent of the publisher or the author, that's another form of redistribution.
    Now, lending that book to a friend is a complete different story.

Larkspeed

Quote Originally Posted by IronWarrior View Post

Sorry but that would be incorrect.

When you buy a book you own the paper it is printed on and the ink it is printed with. but the actual content of the book is the intellectual property of the person that wrote the book and does not belong to you, you do not have the right to sell it for profit, or distribute copies of it either electronically or by reprint unless specifically given permission to do so in writing by the author, hell legally you do not even have the right to read the book aloud in a public place as that would be classed as distribution or public performance.

The same goes for buying a computer game, music cd or movie, you own the disc it came on and the packaging it came in but the developer/studio still owns the code that comprises the game/music/movie.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information