Thread: New Kindle 4 .... with adverts?

Admin (Ret'd)
    Thanks

New Kindle 4 .... with adverts?

Does anyone have the new Kindle 4 (the silvery one with the virtual keyboard), and if so, does it display adverts?

The reason I ask is that I need another Kindle, and as they no longer sell the one I really want (the Wifi-only Kindle 3 keyboard) it's either the more expensive one with 3G (which I have absolutely no use for), or the newer non-KB one. So I went into John Lewis to check it out, and it started displaying adverts. They were the width of the screen, about 1/2" tall, and along the bottom of the screen.

I know there are US ad-supported models, but I wasn't aware of that in the UK.

So .... is that now a feature of the UK one? If so, I'll buy a Kobo or something. because I have no interest at all in one that displays adverts.

It might have been something to do with John Lewis's display model rather than a feature of retail product, but they couldn't give me a categoric answer on that, one way or the other.

Anyone know?

Thanks
    • DannyM's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Gigabyte Z68MA-D2H-B3
      • CPU:
      • Intel Core i5-2400
      • Memory:
      • 8GB Corsair Vengeance DDR3 - PC-12800
      • Storage:
      • 120GB A-Data SSD
      • Graphics card(s):
      • 1GB Nvidia ASUS 560Ti DirectuII
      • PSU:
      • Corsair 620W HX Modular PSU
      • Case:
      • Fractal Design Define Mini
      • Operating System:
      • Windows 7 Pro 64bit
      • Monitor(s):
      • 23" Dell UltraSharp U2311H
      • Internet:
      • 50Mb Virgin Media Cable Broadband

Re: New Kindle 4 .... with adverts?

My mum has one and when I was setting it up I didn't notice any adverts nor have I heard anything from her, I also set another one up yesterday for a neighbour and again I saw no adverts.

dobeedobeedodo ahhhh
    Thanks
    • HoldenBurn1000's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Gigabyte Z68XP-UD3P
      • CPU:
      • i5 2500k @ 4.7Ghz
      • Memory:
      • 8GB Corsair DDR3 1600
      • Storage:
      • 120GB OCZ SSD
      • Graphics card(s):
      • GTX 970
      • PSU:
      • Corsair ZT 750W Modular
      • Case:
      • Corsair 800D
      • Operating System:
      • Windows 7
      • Monitor(s):
      • 3 x 28" ASUS

We sold them in my old store. None of our units showed adverts and don't think they were running demo software.

Couldn't guarantee that they have none but it's certainly nothing I have seen.

Thanks
    • Spank's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Asus Hero X
      • CPU:
      • Memory:
      • G.Skill 16GB 3200MHZ
      • Storage:
      • 1TB 970 EVO, 512GB 960PRO, 500GB 860EVO & 6GB HDD
      • Graphics card(s):
      • Asus 1080Ti ROG Strix oc
      • PSU:
      • Corsair HX850
      • Case:
      • Thermaltake Tower 900
      • Operating System:
      • Win 10 Pro
      • Monitor(s):
      • Alienware AW3418DW
      • Internet:
      • 52 Meg Fiber

I think (if I remember correctly) that the US machines were cheaper if you had adverts on them, dunno about UK versions

Thanks
    • timread's system
      • Motherboard:
      • MSI B450 Tomahawk Max
      • CPU:
      • AMD Ryzen 5 3600
      • Memory:
      • 16GB (2x8GB) Corsair DDR4 Vengeance LPX
      • Storage:
      • 1x WD Blue SN550 500GB M.2 NVMe SSD, , 1x Crucial MX500 1TB SSD, 2x WD 1TB HDD in RAID1
      • Graphics card(s):
      • Gigabyte GeForce GTX 1660 Ti WINDFORCE OC 6G
      • PSU:
      • EVGA SuperNOVA 750W Gold Gen2
      • Case:
      • Fractal Design Define R3 Arctic White
      • Operating System:
      • Windows 10 Pro
      • Monitor(s):
      • AOC 2590 G4, Dell U2412M
      • Internet:
      • VirginMedia

I got a Kindle 4 for Christmas - no adverts on mine.

The US sell an ad-sponsored Kindle 4 for $79 (special offers/sponsored screensavers are displayed when you're not reading) or, an ad-free model for $109.

There's just one UK Kindle 4 @ £89 - we get the no-ad version.
    Last edited by timread; 19-03-2012 at 04:10 PM. Reason: Clarified UK version

jim
    Thanks
    • jim's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Asus Maximus IV Gene-Z
      • CPU:
      • i5 2500K @ 4.5GHz
      • Memory:
      • 8GB Corsair Vengeance LP
      • Storage:
      • 1TB Sandisk SSD
      • Graphics card(s):
      • ASUS GTX 970
      • PSU:
      • Corsair AX650
      • Case:
      • Silverstone Fortress FT03
      • Operating System:
      • 8.1 Pro
      • Monitor(s):
      • Dell S2716DG
      • Internet:
      • 10 Mbps ADSL

Quote Originally Posted by timread View Post

The US sell an ad-sponsored Kindle 4 for $79 (special offers/sponsored screensavers are displayed when you're not reading) or, an ad-free model for $109.

There's just one UK Kindle 4 @ £89, so we don't get a cheaper ad-sponsored version.
    This is what I understood to be the case, but I can't back it up from experience.

Thanks

Maybe i can help.

The ad sponsorsored US versions are only screen savers. The ads don't appear when you are reading, or on the home screen. The ads are not a nuisance and do not affect your reading etc, you might actually see something you like.

Hope the above helps.
    Deo Adjuvante non Timendum

Admin (Ret'd)
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by timread View Post

There's just one UK Kindle 4 @ £89 - we get the no-ad version.
    As per snooty, that was my understanding too. Which is why I was shocked to see the ad.

Quote Originally Posted by vicar View Post
    Maybe i can help.

The ad sponsorsored US versions are only screen savers. The ads don't appear when you are reading, or on the home screen. The ads are not a nuisance and do not affect your reading etc, you might actually see something you like.

Hope the above helps.
    Thanks, vicar. I appreciate the thought.

On principle, though, if they're shoving ads on it, I'm not buying it. I'm so fed up with ads being shovelled at me in huge volumes on TV that there is no way in this universe I'm having a Kindle (or any other 'personal' device) which does it, even if it's just on the screen-saver.

I also know you can de-advert them, with some form of jailbreak. But I'm not prepared to do that to a device I've just bought just to get rid of ads that have no place being there in the first place.

I think the ads were probably to do with it being some sort of demo/display model. But John Lewis have told me that if I'm not happy with it (such as, it shows ads) take it back.

jim
    Thanks
    • jim's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Asus Maximus IV Gene-Z
      • CPU:
      • i5 2500K @ 4.5GHz
      • Memory:
      • 8GB Corsair Vengeance LP
      • Storage:
      • 1TB Sandisk SSD
      • Graphics card(s):
      • ASUS GTX 970
      • PSU:
      • Corsair AX650
      • Case:
      • Silverstone Fortress FT03
      • Operating System:
      • 8.1 Pro
      • Monitor(s):
      • Dell S2716DG
      • Internet:
      • 10 Mbps ADSL

Quote Originally Posted by Saracen View Post
    I think the ads were probably to do with it being some sort of demo/display model. But John Lewis have told me that if I'm not happy with it (such as, it shows ads) take it back.
    That's what I was wondering - if John Lewis have said that though, it makes things a lot easier. Sometimes customer service like that really does come in useful.

If you do get the Kindle 4 and you're using it yourself I'd be interested to see what you think of it. I doubt I'd upgrade from mine any time soon, but I've been wondering how the touchscreen pans out for long-term use.

Admin (Ret'd)
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by snootyjim View Post

If you do get the Kindle 4 and you're using it yourself I'd be interested to see what you think of it. I doubt I'd upgrade from mine any time soon, but I've been wondering how the touchscreen pans out for long-term use.
    Initial impressions are mixed.

First, it doesn't feel quite as solid.

Second, less battery life and smaller memory. The first is more important than the second, but for me, even that is marginal.

Third, the "ergonomics" aren't quite as good. The keyboard on the 3 isn't great, but it's a damn sight better than farting about with that stupid on-screen thing and a cursor. That is close to unusable.

Fourth, the audio capabilities have, I think, gone, so no more text to speech (no great loss to me) but also, no audio books, which I did use from time to time on the 3.

Fifth, page turns. The characteristic e-ink "flicker" with the screen going momentarily black has largely disappeared. Apparently, it now only does that every x turns, with x being set at default at about 6 or 8, but you can override it. Instead, now, you kinda get the current page and the one its changing to over-lapping, which to me gives a kind-of blurring effect that I find far worse than the black "flicker". Fortunately, you can set it back to every page.

Finally, sixth, buttons. I use the K3 one-handed, and my thump rests perfectly on the "next page" button, meaning changing page is nothing more than a thumb-twitch. The K4 buttons are in the same place, but not the same size and aren't quite as easy to click with that twitch. I guess that results in less accidental "nexts", but requires a little more positive intent to change, and that irritates.

All told, I guess the K4 is good value, and arguably the things that have been dropped aren't things at the core of the product, and it is, after all, cheaper. But it isn't what I'm used to or what I want, which is really just another Kindle Keyboard without 3G. Unfortunately, the only way to get what I want is to buy the Keyboard 3G, and leave the 3G turned off (as I do not want it) and pay £40 more (than the old £109 one) for the privilege of facilities I actively don't want).

I also tried the Kobo for 10 minutes, but I have to say, I wasn't terribly impressed. I mean, it's okay, but having to "swipe" or tap the touch screen for a page turn is a flaming nuisance.

I'll probably end up with a K4 and put up with the buttons, lack of keyboard, and the poorer battery life, but I'd cheerfully spend the extra £20 for the old one. Were I you, I would not "upgrade", because in my opinion, it's a distinct downgrade.

Thanks

Saracen if you can get the Kindle US version you will like it, only the basic model is sold in the uk. It has audio capabilities etc
    Deo Adjuvante non Timendum

12. Received thanks from:

Saracen (20-03-2012)

Admin (Ret'd)
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by vicar View Post
    Saracen if you can get the Kindle US version you will like it, only the basic model is sold in the uk. It has audio capabilities etc
    That's a thought, and I can. I'll look into that. Ta muchly.

Thread Information