Thread: DAB / Internet Radio Advice Please

Registered+
    Thanks

DAB / Internet Radio Advice Please

We have had a Pure Legato radio for about 5 or 6 years in the kitchen and more and more things have gone wrong with it* and now it is unusable.

I've been looking around for a replacement but can't seem to find the right product, so posting here for advice.

Requirements - it must sound good and have enough power to fill a 10x3m kitchen/dining room with modern pop / dance music. Budget is up to £300. CD and ipod dock not essential. Would like DAB and Internet radio + streaming from server capability. It could be a micro hi-fi box only as I could use the Pure's speakers (they are still good). I'd also prefer not to give Pure any more of my money as they have a terrible policy for spare parts and the number of things that have gone wrong with the one we have.

I looked at the Roberts Colourstream but it didn't sound too great in John Lewis when demoed.

I'm now wondering if I actually need the DAB bit and could Internet only be an option? I also looked at the Sonos Play 3 and 5, which sound good, but I am not sure about having to control it from a smartphone. Buying their controller would bust the budget.

What could other options be?

TIA

* first the power supply packed up just outside warrantly. Pure were not interested so I bought one on fleabay with a knackered CD for parts. Then the CD stopped playing, then the display completely died (so we have been on Radio 1 for ages) and now the CD tray ejects and continues whirring constantly whenever the radio is switched on. I've given up on it.

The late but legendary peterb - Onward and Upward peterb's Avatar
    Thanks

Re: DAB / Internet Radio Advice Please

The Sonus certainly have a good reputation for sound (and build) quality, so if your budget can stretch that far, that would be the one to go for.

A friend of mine has one and they do sound good.

The Roberts stream83i is another (cheaper) option. Not a product I have used. Like the Pure, it gas mixed reviews on reliability and the user interface, given the number sold, there are bound to be some dissatisfied users, so take that into account.

The audio limitations tend to be speaker/cabinet design (Roberts have a good reputstion for that) but if you are happy with the Pure speakers, you might be able to use them as extension speakers for any device.

But if sound quality is the mist important aspect, then the Sonus will be the benchmark, but bear in mind that if you want stereo reproduction you will need two play three units, otherwise you get mono only. You also need the Sonus bridge unit to connect to internet radio, though that is often bundled with the main play unit. There are free apps for both Apple and Android operating systems if you have a smart phone, or you can use a Windows or Apple based PC, or the Sonus controller, but that, as you say, stretches the budget. The smartphone apps seem to do the job though (provided you have an Android based or Apple device.
    (\__/)
    (='.'=)
    (")_(")

Been helped or just 'Like' a post? Use the Thanks button!
    My broadband speed - 750 Meganibbles/minute

Registered+
    Thanks

Thanks peterb. I have remembered the another reason why the Roberts does not appeal - the user interface, especially when selecting albums from a server can only display 4 titles at a time, you then have to press 'down' again over and over - no easy way to quickly scroll (although there is a search, but no easy way to type letters). If, for example, I wanted to listen to ZZ Top (I probably wouldn't) that would be a lot of press and wait.

I think I need to look into the Sonos systems and perhaps save a bit more money.

Any other ideas still welcome

The late but legendary peterb - Onward and Upward peterb's Avatar
    Thanks

No probs - and welcome to HEXUS
    (\__/)
    (='.'=)
    (")_(")

Been helped or just 'Like' a post? Use the Thanks button!
    My broadband speed - 750 Meganibbles/minute

Formerly known as Andehh Andeh13's Avatar
    Thanks
    • Andeh13's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Gigabyte GA-P35
      • CPU:
      • Intel Q6600
      • Memory:
      • 4gb Corsair XMS2 800mhz
      • Storage:
      • 1 x 250gb Western Digital AAKS, 2 x 500gb Western Digital AAKS, 1TB WD Caviar Green
      • Graphics card(s):
      • BFG Geforce 8800GTS 512mb
      • PSU:
      • Corsair HX520
      • Case:
      • Antec 900
      • Operating System:
      • Windows 7 64bit
      • Monitor(s):
      • Samsung 24" & Sony 17"
      • Internet:
      • Virgin 10mb... hate them!
    Quote Originally Posted by sarasimp6159 View Post
    No idea till now
    I concur, i also did not have an idea until now! Well done to us both!! !

Thread Information