• Allen's system
      • Motherboard:
      • ASUS Maximus VIII Gene
      • CPU:
      • Intel Core i5 6600K
      • Memory:
      • 2 x 8GB Kingston HyperX Predator DDR4-3000
      • Storage:
      • 256GB Samsung 950 PRO NVMe M.2 (OS) + 2 x 512GB Samsung 960 EVO in RAID 0 (Games)
      • Graphics card(s):
      • ASUS ROG Strix GeForce GTX 1080 Ti OC
      • PSU:
      • XFX P1-650X-NLG9 XXX 650W Modular
      • Case:
      • Fractal Design Node 804
      • Operating System:
      • Windows 10 Home 64-bit
      • Monitor(s):
      • 27" BenQ XL2730Z + 23" Dell U2311H
      • Internet:
      • Virgin Media 200Mbps

Semi-Pro Photography

Right, I presume this'll be the right forum. I used to love photography when I was younger, having a polaroid when I was a kid and making my own pin hole cameras and such. I also used to have red curtains and a red lampshade in a terrible attempt at processing my own photo's with a little 'kit' I had.

Anyway, in April this year, I went to Paris with my g/f and she took her cheap digital camera and I took what I thought were some half decent shots, so I was considering how much it would cost to get a decent camera setup these days.

Now, I haven't had a decent camera for years and I don't know anything about digital cameras. Is anyone here into photography, either as a hobby or professionally, who can give some tips on what to look out for with digital cameras? I believe it'll be an SLR camera I'll need, and I'd be interested in doing all sorts of pictures from scenery to pets, well.. anything really!

Also, what courses are available to be done (i.e. what professional bodies are there in photography) so I can get a qualifiacation or just learn more about it in either a night class or something. This is something I've always wanted to do at the back of my mind but never really did anything about it! Now I'd like to find out what I can do about it!

Cheers in advance for any help you can give.

Thanks
    If you want a Digital SLR you're still looking at £600+ I think. The Canon EOS 300D is probably the cheapest, and is a good camera. Canon's range of lenses is the best too (in my considered opinion, Nikonistas).

Depending on the type of photography you want to do, I wouldn't definately rule out film. Digital is good for sports, reportage, action photography etc., but for landscape/macro/still life/creative work film will usually give you better quality. As good as 6 Megapixels is, it still doesn't compare to a well exposed slide for detail and colour saturation. Since the digital sensor is smaller than a bit of film, it's harder to get a decent wideangle too (although the flipside is that your telephoto power gets a boost).

I worked at Jessops until about a year and a half ago, so although my knowledge of current cameras is pretty rusty, I have a good idea about the issues in general. I also took only a digital camera on holiday with me this year, so don't think I have a pro-film agenda.

Rich :¬)

Thanks
    • Zak33's system
      • Storage:
      • Kingston HyperX SSD, Hitachi 1Tb
      • Graphics card(s):
      • Nvidia 1050
      • PSU:
      • Coolermaster 800w
      • Case:
      • Silverstone Fortress FT01
      • Operating System:
      • Win10
      • Internet:
      • Zen FTC uber speedy
    my input then too: I have an aging Minolta Dynax 5000i SLR film camera. It still cuts the mustard...and it os over 10 years old.

My Dad had a Dynax 7000i and he loved it...right up until he got this:
    http://www.fuji.co.uk/digital/cameras/s602pro/
    His photo skills have EXPLODED...he was good...but frankly he is superb now. Why? It costs nothing after the outlay, and you do it all at home when you get back. It really IS exciting going home and uploading it all.

Now I dont pretend to know a lot about camera technology, but I DO know that while Digital Magnification is nice....Optical is better AS LONG AS THE LENSES are good. That one is superb. The Macro facility (very close up) is astonishing. Apparently, according to real photographers, digital cameras dont do proper macro, but suffice it to say you can photograph a spider the size of a 5p piece and on the PC screen 3 minutes later you can see the hairs on its llegs....all of them....upclose...and the mandibles. It is awesome.

The potential of a good Digital Camera is now even better because of places like this:
    http://www.photobox.co.uk/

where you upload all your piccies and they send them out to you on much better paper and with much higher quality than you could afford to do at hime, at any size you want

In short....a good camera needs the following:

Spare batteries. You MUST be able to afford spare batteries. Digi camera's eat them. If its a cold day, the battery lie is cack....it NEEDS to be easy to swap batteries. These big Fuji's hold 4xAA batteries and you can of course get rechargeables Get spares.

Memory...you just cant get enough...budget for memory. These camera's also do really very good film. More memory cards is good.

and as with all things...plan your attack: A good camera this year, but not a range topper....then in 9 months replan your attack. Love of photography growing? Good, you now know hwat you need in detail. Love of photography just average? Good...you didn't spend an absolute fortune.

Portability: That camera I show up there/\ is a big old boy I chose it cos Dad's one is superb. But its huge.
    Sair, my other half, has this :
    http://www.fuji.co.uk/digital/camera...eras/range.php

It is nearly as good as Dad's, half the size and weight, and it switches on in a split second...its ready in under two seconds...Dad's takes 4 to 5 seconds...that's an AGE. BUT the battery life is DIRE like a little mobile phone battery. Not 4 big AA cells.

Hope that lot helps....it IS a minefield but its an exciting minefield

Quote Originally Posted by Advice Trinity by Knoxville
    "The second you aren't paying attention to the tool you're using, it will take your fingers from you. It does not know sympathy." |
    "If you don't gaffer it, it will gaffer you" | "Belt and braces"

Rob
    Thanks
    Right, I'm no expert photographer - ask Shiato Storm for that - but...

Following on from what Zak said about planning your attack, maybe you might consider one of these Fuji S7000 . Now it's not a full SLR (lense changing), but besides auto point and shoot they are full manual as well. And I have seen the results from these cameras, and they are absolutely superb. Would certainly allow you to develop your skills and get a feel before blowing £600-£1000 on a full SLR. I have seen them around for under £300 - Dixons did have a good deal a while ago.

I have just started with a 4Mp and already I know that I need to move up to one of these.

Just my 2p

Rob
    Last edited by Rob; 20-11-2004 at 12:46 PM.

Thanks
    • Allen's system
      • Motherboard:
      • ASUS Maximus VIII Gene
      • CPU:
      • Intel Core i5 6600K
      • Memory:
      • Storage:
      • 256GB Samsung 950 PRO NVMe M.2 (OS) + 2 x 512GB Samsung 960 EVO in RAID 0 (Games)
      • Graphics card(s):
      • PSU:
      • Case:
      • Operating System:
      • Windows 10 Home 64-bit
      • Monitor(s):
      • Internet:
      • Virgin Media 200Mbps
    Thanks for the imput so far guys. I think you're right in getting a smaller camera first, before blowing a huge wad on a digital SLR camera, even though they do look rather nice!

Rob, that camera there looks mighty fine for the price, a definate consideration.

So, Shiato Storm is into his photography is he? Cool, lets see if he'll come and join the thread then!

So, anyone have any knowledge about photography courses/qualifications etc.?

Cheers, keep the advise coming, I will read and take note of everything said.

Thanks
    • Zak33's system
      • Storage:
      • Kingston HyperX SSD, Hitachi 1Tb
      • Graphics card(s):
      • Nvidia 1050
      • PSU:
      • Coolermaster 800w
      • Case:
      • Silverstone Fortress FT01
      • Operating System:
      • Win10
      • Internet:
      • Zen FTC uber speedy
    having seen the spec on that one Rob linked too....thats where MY money would go..

Its very very close to my Dad's and it will therefore be great. Good mem card too. Get yourself a load MORE rechargeable AA batteries, get them all loaded up....

and you are OFF

Quote Originally Posted by Advice Trinity by Knoxville
    "The second you aren't paying attention to the tool you're using, it will take your fingers from you. It does not know sympathy." |
    "If you don't gaffer it, it will gaffer you" | "Belt and braces"

Thanks
    • Allen's system
      • Motherboard:
      • ASUS Maximus VIII Gene
      • CPU:
      • Intel Core i5 6600K
      • Memory:
      • Storage:
      • Graphics card(s):
      • PSU:
      • Case:
      • Operating System:
      • Windows 10 Home 64-bit
      • Monitor(s):
      • Internet:
      • Virgin Media 200Mbps
    Hehehe... now to find a course which'll show me how to use it to it's full potential!

Photographer; for hire!! shiato storm's Avatar
    Thanks
    hi guys - just got your pm Allen...seems like lots of people here have answered your request reasonably well - I'm quite busy right now and you just caught me, I won't be near a computer until tomorrow late/early monday so I'll add my 2p then if thats ok but thanks for asking for me and I will return.

p.s. beware that the Fuji s7000, although a pretty good camera, EATS batteries. my dad has one. and there is a substantial delay in what you see through the view-finder to when you take the picture...often has my dad missed soemthing due to this. I think it has something to do with its image processing...just something to look out for.

oh, and you can't beat an SLR
    Last edited by shiato storm; 20-11-2004 at 03:26 PM.