Thread: Anyone good with washing machines?

ZaO

Anyone good with washing machines?

Hey guys. I had my washing machine on the other day and the drum was moving back and forward a lot! Part of it/something was hitting the back of the machine as the drum moved back and making a loud noise. I've been searching and haven't found much on this specific issue. The most common things that come up are:

* Loose weights - I've already opened it up and checked they're done up tight. They were.

* Unbalanced machine - It's hard for me to be completely certain it's balaned because it goes into a small space that it just about fits in with a worktop above it and I can't really read a spirit level like that. I do check it's level on the floor space next to that spot, so it shouldn't be far off. It doesn't really wobble if I push it by hand when it's sat in there either.

* Issues with springs or hydrolics - I've looked and there's two simple springs that hang from the top brace. They're hooked up and don't look like there's anything wrong with them. The two hydrolics at the bottom are connected ok as far as I can tell. They're not really bolted on though, they instead have some kind of plastic attachments to hold them on, which seems weird. I can't figure out how I would even tighten them up... The hydrolics have a bit of movement/play when pushed towards the front and back of the machine (about 1-2mm), which doesn't seem too bad considering they're only clamped on with plastic haha..

Last year, I had a guy round to repair the machine as I'd heard some low frequency popping type noises. To me, it sounded a bit like electronics shorting out. He said he couldn't find anything wrong with it and that type of noise is usually caused by something being caught in the filter. Thing is, I'd already manually drained the machine and checked the filter and it seemed fine. He didn't find anything either. Anyway, he said that he'd tightened up something (I forget what) to stop the drum moving as much incase it was that, or something like that.. I don't think it's very likely the weights needed tightening up as I bought this machine new late in 2013. So, I dunno what he actually tightened up, but it might be what I need to do. I can't see anything else that looks like it would be related to the issue. The belt seems to be on ok and in good condition.

Could an unbalanced load have caused this? I know that might sound obvious, but I would think that would cause issues with the drum spinning too wide, not make it move back and forward. Any ideas? It's a Beko WMS 6100W, btw..

Cheers!

The late but legendary peterb - Onward and Upward peterb's Avatar
    Thanks

Re: Anyone good with washing machines?

An unbalanced or over load would cause that, in the absence of any mechanical failure. Usually the machine will detect out of balance loads and slow down to redistribute the clothes evenly, but if they are tangled, that might not happen.

Smaller loads!
    (\__/)
    (='.'=)
    (")_(")

Been helped or just 'Like' a post? Use the Thanks button!
    My broadband speed - 750 Meganibbles/minute

ZaO

Quote Originally Posted by peterb View Post
    An unbalanced or over load would cause that, in the absence of any mechanical failure. Usually the machine will detect out of balance loads and slow down to redistribute the clothes evenly, but if they are tangled, that might not happen.

Smaller loads!
    Yeh I think it didn't detect it on this occasion haha I actually only had a small amount of stuff in there. I'm careful not to overload washing machines as I've mashed up a few in my time by doing that! Lol... But I think I might've actually had too little in there as that can also cause this! Cheers.

Registered+
    Thanks

If it is old, sounds like failed bearings. Look on espares for idea, including videos on how to fix.

ZaO

Quote Originally Posted by Hingy View Post
    If it is old, sounds like failed bearings. Look on espares for idea, including videos on how to fix.
    It's only a couple years old. The bearings are all good

Thanks
    • TheDutyPaid's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Asus Gryphon Z87
      • CPU:
      • i7 4770K
      • Memory:
      • 16GB
      • Storage:
      • 2TB and 500GB HDD
      • Graphics card(s):
      • Asus 560ti
      • PSU:
      • Corsair 750W
      • Case:
      • 1953 Bush AC-34 Radio now case
      • Operating System:
      • Win 7 64bit
      • Monitor(s):
      • 20" Samsung & 27" ASUS
      • Internet:
      • BT Infinity, Fast :-)

Quote Originally Posted by ZaO View Post
    * Unbalanced machine - It's hard for me to be completely certain it's balaned because it goes into a small space that it just about fits in with a worktop above it and I can't really read a spirit level like that. I do check it's level on the floor space next to that spot, so it shouldn't be far off. It doesn't really wobble if I push it by hand when it's sat in there either.
    I seen machines with one foot raised a couple of mm and bang very bad.

Hydraulics can fail at any point, only real way to test would be to remove them and test. Which is a big pain

As you can get the machine out and top open to to move the drum around from the top to test for excessive play. As always power off and unplugged.

This weekend I will be replacing the drain pump and water inlet solenoid, both of which I got straight from Miele which was cheaper then espares.

ZaO

Quote Originally Posted by TheDutyPaid View Post
    I seen machines with one foot raised a couple of mm and bang very bad.

Hydraulics can fail at any point, only real way to test would be to remove them and test. Which is a big pain

As you can get the machine out and top open to to move the drum around from the top to test for excessive play. As always power off and unplugged.

This weekend I will be replacing the drain pump and water inlet solenoid, both of which I got straight from Miele which was cheaper then espares.
    That sounds crazy that such a small imbalance could do that. Probably down to the ground not being even too.. I dunno. I'm not exactly an expert on this

I don't really know how to tell what excesive play is. I can move the drum around quite a lot with my hands. I really don't know how much is acceptable..

Thanks
    • ik9000's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Asus P7H55-M/USB3
      • CPU:
      • i7-870, Prolimatech Megahalems, 2x Akasa Apache 120mm
      • Memory:
      • 4x4GB Corsair Vengeance 2133 11-11-11-27
      • Storage:
      • 2x256GB Samsung 840-Pro, 1TB Seagate 7200.12, 1TB Seagate ES.2
      • Graphics card(s):
      • Gigabyte GTX 460 1GB SuperOverClocked
      • PSU:
      • NZXT Hale 90 750w
      • Case:
      • BitFenix Survivor + Bitfenix spectre LED fans, LG BluRay R/W optical drive
      • Operating System:
      • Windows 7 Professional
      • Monitor(s):
      • Dell U2414h, U2311h 1920x1080
      • Internet:
      • 200Mb/s Fibre and 4G wifi

I agree, it's the bearings IMO. I had this with a machine in a rental a few years back. It didn't last long when it got that bad.

A few mm of out of plumb makes a huge difference. We moved ours recently and forgot to re-level it. I walked by one day and the bearing whine was noticeable - re-levelled it straight away and ran the calibration program and it's back to normal.

Let a bearing run on a bad setting and it will wear into an unrecoverable off-axis default from which it just self-propagates more damage to itself until you get to the problems you are describing.

Thanks
    • TheDutyPaid's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Asus Gryphon Z87
      • CPU:
      • i7 4770K
      • Memory:
      • 16GB
      • Storage:
      • 2TB and 500GB HDD
      • Graphics card(s):
      • Asus 560ti
      • PSU:
      • Corsair 750W
      • Case:
      • 1953 Bush AC-34 Radio now case
      • Operating System:
      • Win 7 64bit
      • Monitor(s):
      • 20" Samsung & 27" ASUS
      • Internet:
      • BT Infinity, Fast :-)

A quick way to test the bearings is to just turn the drum by hand. Listen for anything out of place, clicks, pops, grinding.

Also with an empty machine, stick it on a spin.

ZaO

The bearings are fine, as I already said. I think it could just be a combo of having the machine slightly unbalanced and not having enough in there, which also unbalanced the movement of the drum. I've done a couple washes with it since posting and no issue. The issue only happened the once as well, but I wanted to find out what could cause that. I just like to get on the case with things early so that it doesn't develop into a much bigger problem and end up costing more to sort out! Still, I'm not sure if there is too much movement with the tub/drum. I'm not sure what amount is acceptable, and there doesn't seem to be anything to adjust that would provide some resistance to movement, other than the weights which are already done up tight. Cheers guys.

Thread Information