Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: iPad or Kindle?

Thanks

iPad or Kindle?

I am going to buy an iPad to read eBooks but my friend suggests me to buy a Kindle... Which one should I chooce?

Thanks
    • GuidoLS's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Asus P5Q Pro
      • CPU:
      • C2Q 9550 stock
      • Memory:
      • 8gb Corsair
      • Storage:
      • 2x1tb Hitachi 7200's, WD Velociraptor 320gb primary
      • Graphics card(s):
      • nVidia 9800GT
      • PSU:
      • Corsair 750w
      • Case:
      • Antec 900
      • Operating System:
      • Win10/Slackware Linux dual box
      • Monitor(s):
      • Viewsonic 24" 1920x1080
      • Internet:
      • AT&T U-Verse 12mb

Re: iPad or Kindle?

If all you intend on doing is reading e-books, you're wasting a lot of money with either product. Find something with a similar screen size, and cheap, with access to the Google store. There you can download (for free) apps for the Kindle store, as well as other stores and readers that won't lock you into a particular walled garden. There are a LOT of free, legal e-book libraries out there that for some reason, neither Apple nor Kindle plays well with. A good example is TUEBL - aka The Ultimate E-Book Library, which claims over 55k book (LINK).

If you are intent on one or the other, re: Apple vice Kindle, the Kindle probably has the better library, and the Apple probably has the better overall apps. I'd go Kindle, only because there is access, to a degree, to the rest of the Android environment, and new, it will be anywhere from 1/5th to 1/2 the cost, or less.

Admin (Ret'd)
    Thanks

My view is that PROVIDED the intent is reading ebooks, the Kindle is a far better choice than iPad, because of the screen technology. The exception to that would be if the ebooks you're after require colour, like some textbooks, photography books, etc. But as long as it's just reading novels, etc, in black and white text, the Kindle is a far better choice for ebooks.

However, the Kindle is effectively a single function device. It has very rudimentary browsing capabilities, but in my view, they're close to unusable. So it really comes down to Kindle being extremely good at one thing, ebooks.

iPad, on the other hand, is a multi-purpose device. You can run software, browse the web, do your email, play games, and so on .... oh, and yeah, read ebooks.

Bear in mind, though, that the screen technology has two main implications. The active, backlight technology that enables colour also means it's FAR more energy hungry, and the 'glare' from backlighting means settling in for hours at a time to read is more tiring on eyes. Some Kindles also have (switchable) backlighting, for reading in the dark, but it's still far less intense that iPad (or Android) colour screens.

In terms of energy usage, I have to charge my 10" Android tablet more or less daily. My Kindle, on the other hand, I charge every few weeks. I'm quite happy to go away for a couple of weeks and not even bother taking the charger with me.

In short, my view is that if it's ONLY for reading e-books, Kindle (or other e-book readers) are miles better than any tablet, but if it's for other things, go for a tablet but be aware, it's less suitable for long book-reading sessions.

Thanks
    • Smudger's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Gbyte GA-970A-UD3P
      • CPU:
      • AMD FX8320 Black Edition
      • Memory:
      • 16GB 2x8G CML16GX3M2A1600C10
      • Storage:
      • 1x240Gb Corsair M500, 2TB TOSHIBA DT01ACA200
      • Graphics card(s):
      • XFX Radeon HD4890 1GB
      • PSU:
      • Corsair HX520
      • Case:
      • Akasa Zen
      • Operating System:
      • Windows 10 Home
      • Monitor(s):
      • Dell 24"
      • Internet:
      • Virgin 200Mbit

The other thing is if you're going to use it outside, ie lounging by the pool on holiday, Kindle/e-reader really is the only option, as you can actually see the text in bright sunshine. If you're holidaying in the UK, this is less of an issue.

Registered+
    Thanks
    • artcon's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Asus Z97 PRO-GAMER
      • CPU:
      • i7-4790k
      • Memory:
      • Kingston Savage 16GB (2 x 8GB) DDR3-1866
      • Storage:
      • Crucial MX200 250GB SSD, 3TB HDD
      • Graphics card(s):
      • MSI GeForce GTX 970 4GB Twin Frozr V
      • PSU:
      • EVGA 850W 80+ Gold
      • Case:
      • Fractal Design R5
      • Operating System:
      • Windows 8.1
      • Monitor(s):
      • BenQ XL2430T, LG IPS234V

Only reading ebooks? Kindle (assuming you don't mean something like the Kindle Fire). Reading on a glossy LCD screen is not the greatest, and the battery life is not meant for long reading sessions. If all you're wanting the device for is reading then it's a waste to get an iPad, it's far too expensive to be just reading on it. The Kindle is a device that was made and designed for reading ebooks on, the iPad is not.

Thanks

It's personal preference and it depends on what you want the device to do.

In my opinion, you can't beat a Kindle if you want an e-reader. Personally I loathe trying to read books on my iPad. I forgot my Kindle yesterday so was using my iPad to read from on a flight to and from Germany but I quickly gave up. I find reading a book from that sort of screen a bit of a struggle and quickly find my eyes get a bit tired and grumbly.

So for me it's a no brainer - Kindle.

Thanks

Thank you GuidoLS, for offering another choice. I would check the TUEBL, and that's sounds awesome!

Thanks

Thank you all for providing me your opinions and experiences using iPad and Kindle.
    Obviously, Kindle is much better and also cheaper for reading ebooks compared with iPad. I think I just make up my decision.

Thanks
    • g8ina's system
      • Motherboard:
      • ASRock Z75 Pro3
      • CPU:
      • Intel(R) Core(TM) i5-3570K CPU @ 3.40GHz 3.40 GHz
      • Memory:
      • 16GB Corsair 1600MHz DDR3.
      • Storage:
      • 250GB SSD system, 250GB SSD Data + 2TB data, + 8TB NAS
      • Graphics card(s):
      • XFX Radeon HD 6870
      • Case:
      • Coolermaster Elite 430
      • Operating System:
      • Win10
      • Monitor(s):
      • Iiyama 22"
      • Internet:
      • Virgin 100MB unlimited

Ive seen first generation Kindle going for as little as 20 quid, if it's JUST for ebooks, then Id go that way. I use mine on a daily basis, even though I now also have a tablet, I still just use the K for reading, its so much nicer and wonderful on battery life.
    Cheers, David

Registered+
    Thanks

My kindle fire hd is brilliant for most things but watching "sky go" which was a disappointment and yes it's battery life whilst just reading is the best but if the WiFi is used then not so good.
    If it's just for reading then the paper white is good option though smaller.

Registered+
    Thanks

I think both ipads and kindles have a place. ipads are expensive and kindles give quite a good tablet experience. was half tempted to replace my Pandora with a kindle.

Registered+
    Thanks

I'd have to vote for Kindle too, if you are going to be mostly using it as an e-reader. I love mine, the only problem is that the battery life is so good that I forget to charge it, i'll finally need to charge it and cant find the cable because I haven't used it in ages.

Technojunkie
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by MacDragon View Post
    I'd have to vote for Kindle too, if you are going to be mostly using it as an e-reader. I love mine, the only problem is that the battery life is so good that I forget to charge it, i'll finally need to charge it and cant find the cable because I haven't used it in ages.
    Err, the kindle uses a microUSB cable - same as just about everything (ex apple natch)
    Chrome & Firefox addons for BBC News
    Follow me @twitter

Registered+
    Thanks

Think I'll try the kindle for reading then.

Thanks

ipad

Registered+
    Thanks

If it's just for reading eBooks, you may as well save yourself the money and go for the Kindle.

Thread Information