Thread: DVD player wont play

Thanks

Exclamation DVD player wont play

I have a Magnavox DP170MW8B for my daughter's room and one night, I turned it on and it didnt even try to play. Pressing play on the remote and the DVD player does nothing. The eject works fine but I cant get the thing to play. I hoped it might be as easy as blowing it out so I opened the CD door and blew inside like an old nintendo cartridge but no luck. Any ideas what it might be and what I need to do to fix it? Id like to think im fairly savvy with electromechanical assembly so feel free to make suggestions if thats what it comes to. Hell the way I see it, if I cant fix it, ill just have to buy a new one so what do I have to lose? Thanks in advance.

The late but legendary peterb - Onward and Upward peterb's Avatar
    Thanks

Re: DVD player wont play

If it won't play any disk, there might be dirt on the laser lens, so worth taking apart to clean that.

The laser itself might have failed, although that is surprisingly difficult to test as it may not light if there is no disco detected DO NOT STARE DIRECTLY INTO THE LASER. You might be able to use a piece of paper to diffuse the laser light, if you can over-ride any interlocks.

Does the tracking arm move, is it seeking the start track? Is the laser moving vertically to focus on the disc?

If the laser has failed you may be able to buy a replacement.

Other than that, the electronics tend to be tightly integrated, but you could check the power supply components.

If you are not happy about messing with high voltage (mains at 230V) then take it to a repair centre to see if it economically repairable, otherwise just replace it.

Magnavox is not a common brand in the UK, but you might want to consider Pioneer, Panasonic or Sony for a replacement.
    (\__/)
    (='.'=)
    (")_(")

Been helped or just 'Like' a post? Use the Thanks button!
    My broadband speed - 750 Meganibbles/minute

Registered+
    Thanks

Hi

Is there any display on the tv screen?

Does it make any noise when you hit play?

The power supply may have failed (bad caps?).... you could have power for some functions, like eject, and none for the other functions...like the main logic.

If you are not competent with a meter to check the thing, just replace it..... not worth the risk to meddle with mains powered device if you are not familiar with these things....

David

Thanks

I think that i will take your advice to exchange other brand if i can't fix it out.

Thanks

I have sent it back to manufacturer to fix it. Thank you very much for your suggestion

Thread Information