Thread: Had RAM sent from Micro Direct for repair..

IQ: 1.42
    Thanks
    • Tunnah's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Asus somethingorother
      • CPU:
      • 3700X
      • Memory:
      • 16GB 3600
      • Storage:
      • Various SSDs, 90TB RAID6 HDDs
      • Graphics card(s):
      • 1080Ti
      • PSU:
      • Silverstone 650w
      • Case:
      • Lian-Li PC70B
      • Operating System:
      • Win10
      • Internet:
      • 40mbit Sky Fibre

Had RAM sent from Micro Direct for repair..

Hi there folks. I had a RAM stick sent from MD to Corsair for repair. This was on 22nd of Feb. About 2 months ago I phoned up to check on the status, and they said someone from Corsair was going to phone me direct. Something seemed off at the time, I had no idea they were closing shop.

The form I have off them doesn't have a contact number and nobody has contacted me, what is it I can do in this situation ? I have the return order number as
    SRMA2002216
    I was wondering if someone could check up on it and maybe get back to me, or give me a number or email address to hit up ?

It's only a 4gig stick, but the difference between 8gb and 12gb RAM makes a bloomin' big deal ha.

Admin (Ret'd)
    Thanks

Re: Had RAM sent from Micro Direct for repair..

I thought MicroDirect went under about 15 months ago? Or is this the whoever bought them out going under?

As for what you can do, a lot depends on the situation.

If a receiver, or worse yet, liquidator, is involved, then there's good and bad news. The good news is that your property is yours, not the shops, and you're therefore entitled to it back. So .... all you have to do is prove that a specific item is yours. And, the liquidator/receiver is an impartial third-party that gets paid either way, so they won't care whose property it is .... PROVIDED you can prove it. They DO have a legal duty to creditors, though, so won't be likely to just take your word for it.

If this was, say, a PC or something, identifiable by serial number, and you had proof of purchase, it'd be relatively straight forward. If you don't, and/or can't identify specific items, well ....

Put it this way, if there are 100 memory sticks of the right type, and one is yours, IF you can identify the specific one, great. But if you can't, you may well end up as an unsecured creditor getting a few pence in the pound, if you're lucky. If you're unlucky, you get 0p in the pound.

That all assumes, of course, receivership and/or liquidation. If the owner just decided to close, then fine, but they have to return all property belonging to others, and settle all outstanding debts, etc.

Finally, if your stick had gone to Corsair and they'd not sent it, or a replacement, to MD, they may be able to ship direct to you. That decision is theirs. Doing so might cause problems for them with the receiver/liquidator who, of course, is under a legal duty to collect all assets of the company they're liquidating, or have in receivership.

All told .... good luck.

Corsair Rep
    Thanks

Hey Tunnah,
    Sorry to hear that. That's quite odd for them to say that we would call you while your RMA is being handled by them. AFAIK, the way our RMA works is, we would contact them since they are the ones who contacted us regarding your RMA. And I think this RMA # "SRMA2002216" is directly from them. I'd suggest that you contact Micro Direct and ask for the Corsair RMA # they've created from us. That way I can check it myself and see where its at in terms of progress.

and btw, where is the RAM now? do they still have it?

Thanks
    • Tunnah's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Asus somethingorother
      • CPU:
      • 3700X
      • Memory:
      • 16GB 3600
      • Storage:
      • Graphics card(s):
      • 1080Ti
      • PSU:
      • Silverstone 650w
      • Case:
      • Lian-Li PC70B
      • Operating System:
      • Win10
      • Internet:
      • 40mbit Sky Fibre

Thanks for the replies.

Saracen - I think I'm OK as the part is paid for and under warranty, and I have the serial number, anyone trying to claim it would be committing theft.

Greybeard - I have no idea where the part is. I assumed they sent it to you, as this was back in feb. I've been unable to reach em and the website is down so I thought the shop closed up, but if the shop is still physically open I'll pay em a visit, as it's local anyway.

The form I have has the PDN number (whatever that is), the serial number of the part, and another number. Also a vendor number and another number at the beginning, which I think might be the stock number. Also a "Bill-to customer" number.

If any of these can help me track it down that'd be great as I don't think they're open anymore.

Admin (Ret'd)
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Tunnah View Post

Saracen - I think I'm OK as the part is paid for and under warranty, and I have the serial number, anyone trying to claim it would be committing theft.

If you've got paperwork and serial numbers, then at least as far as receivers/liquidators are concerned, you should indeed be fine, if the firm is in the hands of receivers, etc.. That process is a legal one, and the assets of the company have fo be maximised, but your property is not an asset of the company, even if currently in their possession.

Thanks
    • Tunnah's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Asus somethingorother
      • CPU:
      • 3700X
      • Memory:
      • 16GB 3600
      • Storage:
      • Graphics card(s):
      • 1080Ti
      • PSU:
      • Silverstone 650w
      • Case:
      • Lian-Li PC70B
      • Operating System:
      • Win10
      • Internet:
      • 40mbit Sky Fibre

TBH I reckon it's made it's way to Corsair, they've just screwed up (MD, not Corsair) and lost track of it. Hopefully the lads at Corsair can confirm for me.

I've had a hell of a time lately with parts, my Razer mouse died and they wouldn't repair it, so ended up with a credit note and an inferior model (using the Deathadder now when I had the Imperator..and it's a terrible mouse, just oh so wrong for my hand..plus 2 few buttons), and also one of my GTX 670s has died (first graphics card that has ever died on me, and my first ever one was a bloomin' Voodoo!), but Asus won't get back to me. I can't find the receipt, but it has 3 year warranty and they've not even been out that long, yet after repeatedly emailing Asus (talking 10-15 emails with conversations going nowhere and promises that someone will reach out to me), I can't seem to get a human to respond to me.

It's gotten to the point where I'm scared of turning off my PC in case it won't start back up again, because so many parts are bought from Mirco Direct...I wish I had just forked out the petrol money and gone to Scan

Corsair Rep
    Thanks

TBH I reckon it's made it's way to Corsair, they've just screwed up (MD, not Corsair) and lost track of it. Hopefully the lads at Corsair can confirm for me.
    PM me your full name, address, and part # of the RAM. I'll ask our customer service and see if they can find a discrepancy from one of MD's RMA that fits your profile. But if you can somehow get any info from MD regarding your RMA, it'd be a lot easier for me to track it down.

Thanks

but Asus won't get back to me. I can't find the receipt, but it has 3 year warranty and they've not even been out that long, yet after repeatedly emailing Asus (talking 10-15 emails with conversations going nowhere and promises that someone will reach out to me), I can't seem to get a human to respond to me.
    ASUS are terrible for this. Try prodding them on their Facebook as some people have had success with that route.

A lot of the folks around here go Gigabyte due to their UK and better RMA process, should you need it.
    Quote Originally Posted by Saracen View Post
    And by trying to force me to like small pants, they've alienated me.

Thanks
    • Tunnah's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Asus somethingorother
      • CPU:
      • 3700X
      • Memory:
      • 16GB 3600
      • Storage:
      • Graphics card(s):
      • 1080Ti
      • PSU:
      • Silverstone 650w
      • Case:
      • Lian-Li PC70B
      • Operating System:
      • Win10
      • Internet:
      • 40mbit Sky Fibre

Thanks greybeard, any effort is appreciated but not expecting miracles

Agent the thing is, I've never had to replace an Asus part. I've been using Asus boards and graphics cards for a long time, I'm pretty sure the board I paired with a K6-2 400mhz was Asus, if not the one I paired with a Pentium 4 was, so at least 10 years. I've had graphics cards a-plenty, and when I upgrade, my old ones go to friends (8800GTS' are still running for a friend, same with GTX 460s), however when building for other people and price has been a factor, then it was usually another manufacturer, and Gigabyte have been used..and have had several DOA from them.

I'm just gutted I didn't get the card from Scan, I have 2 and 1 is from Scan, where they have the serial number down and everything...unfortunately it's the wrong bloomin' card. Saved myself a tenner by not driving to Scan, so gutted.

Worst worry is that they won't fix or replace it; an upgraded card is useless as I run an SLI setup - unless they give me a 780Ti (which for some reason I doubt ha), then I can't pair it with my other one.

Corsair Rep
    Thanks

Thanks greybeard, any effort is appreciated but not expecting miracles
    I've just sent an email to our RMA dept regarding your RMA with MD. We'll try to look for it. As soon that I get an update from them, I'll let you know right away

Thanks
    • Tunnah's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Asus somethingorother
      • CPU:
      • 3700X
      • Memory:
      • 16GB 3600
      • Storage:
      • Graphics card(s):
      • 1080Ti
      • PSU:
      • Silverstone 650w
      • Case:
      • Lian-Li PC70B
      • Operating System:
      • Win10
      • Internet:
      • 40mbit Sky Fibre

Ta very much mate

Thread Information