Thread: Hdd problem with corsair 540 evo

Registered+
    Thanks

Hdd problem with corsair 540 evo

I have this case and for some reason the hdd isnt being recognised.

I firstly put in an ssd the old fashioned way, i.e my cables and that works fine in fact o/s is on it and its running fine.

Now with the hdd its a different thing altogether.

Firstly I would probably mention the fact that I have never used this case before.

I think I did it correctly though a you tube video would have been great.

I attached the hdd chassis cable to the mobo and connected my hdd power cable to the chassis one.

Then I clicked the hdd into place.

I didnt do the other one.

My mobo (sabertooth 990fx) doesnt recognise it. The hdd isnt showing up in bios.

Is there a setting in bios I am missing or have I installed it wrong?

Also is the rear fan supposed to be an exhaust one? It doesnt look like its set up that way. Sticker and wires are visible which usually means its blowing in the direction of where the wires are.

Lastly, with exhaust fans do you plug them into fan headers? All of my previous cases have fan controls on them so just always molexed them onto psu.

This doesnt so thought I would get mobo to do it.

Is that the right thing to do with respect to exhaust ones?

Corsair Rep
    Thanks

Re: Hdd problem with corsair 540 evo

When you say not recognized, in BIOS or OS? If its a brand new HDD, then you may have to initialize it first.

Have you tried connecting the HDD the old fashion way as well? with out connecting to the pass through? It's possible that the pass through port is flaky, try to connect both data SATA and power directly to the Mobo and PSU.

The rear fan by default should be exhaust. I go normally with the position of the blades, if they look like this, then they are exhaust;

Registered+
    Thanks

Yeah its a brand new hdd.
    Unfortunately I cant set it up the usual way.
    One of the clips snapped in the bay so cant get the thing out.

I cant believe how flimsy they are. Case is really well built and they spoil it with something like that.

Thanks for the info on the blades. It must be exhaust so thats a load off my mind.

I was thinking of putting in a fan or two at the top. Do you think it would be beneficial? and if so would you make them exhaust or get them pushing air downwards?

The heatsink I ended up with for this one was the Noctua NH-D14.

There is one fan in the middle and the second fan I have facing the 2 case fans. Due to the unique way the case is set up though, Im still unsure whether thats the best way. It might be more beneficial facing the exhaust fan. Do you think?

Is there a way I can initialise the hdd in its current setting?

Registered+
    Thanks

Also with respect to the exhaust fan, do you usually set it to 'ignore' in bios? I keep getting warnings that its only running at 583 rpm. I figure its because its cool. Cpu temp is 22c even with ram at its correct setting of 2133mhz.

I dont want to attempt any more of an overclock until I know its working properly.

I now have my fan settings via the bios as temps seemed better than the temps I was getting with the suite.

Registered+
    Thanks

Just been on the phone to toshiba for the hard drive. I managed to get it out of the dodgy bay and set it up the 'old' way. Still nothing, not showing in bios, in computer management nothing.

Took your advice about initialising it but theres nothing there to initialise. All it shows is my ssd and o/drive.

Toshiba seem to think its definately faulty and suggest I RMA it with them freepost rather than send it back to the shop.

I would greatly appreciate your suggestions with fan layout.

Corsair Rep
    Thanks

Toshiba's assertion is about right, sounds like a dead drive to me. If the drive is nowhere to be found both in BIOS and Windows even after connecting it directly to the board's SATA port by passing the pass through, then that would suggest that it is a bad drive.

I can send you a replacement for your HDD tray. Just create a ticket at Corsair.force.com and let me know the ticket # afterwards and I will make sure that get it processed for you right away.

Ideally, two fans on top as an exhaust would be sufficient to pull out warm air inside the case. But of course, each system will vary from one set up to another. You'll just have to figure out what air flow set will best suit your need.

Where do you have the exhaust fan connected? SYS_fan, CHA_fan, or PWR_fan? I wouldn't recommend plugging it to the CPU_fan header.

Registered+
    Thanks

Exhaust fan (the single one at rear of case) is on fan 1.
    the pair of fans at the front of the case are on fan 2 and fan 3.

The instructions for the noctua NH D14 suggest linking them up to only pwm and not the opt aswell, so have set it up that way.

Temps at idle are very good. The only overclocking I have done so far is changing the ram to its correct timings. This has given it a bit of a boost.

Because of the cases weird layout I cant seem to put a 'picture' in my head for the best optimum air flow and heat dissipation.

How would you do it?

Thread Information