• Silverstone Temjin 06 plus mods ;)
      • Operating System:
      • Win 7 Pro x64 / Win 10 Pro x64
      • Monitor(s):
      • Asus MG279Q
      • Internet:
      • TalkTalk VDSL

Re: Building new PC

Only my opinion, I'd opt for the Asus Z97 Pro Gamer.

Nice layout of board, good features and UEFI with nice set of options.

I was reading a post by an owner on another forum, noted it has the same mosfets for VRM as the more expensive Asus Z97 Pro, IIRC it has 8 phases (4 true doubled up). The UEFI options / layout are the same as the more expensive ROG motherboards.

Some of the cheap mobo VRMs lack phases thus less components. Bit Tech review thoughts on the Asrock Z97 Pro 3 VRM (looks practically like the Anniversary edition). Besides heat a better VRM delivers power better, plenty of info on the web, google for Sin's VRM. On that same search result you'll see a thread on OCN as well, titled Z97 VRM info.

VRM design of a mobo is not the only reason to not get x mobo and get y mobo, some of the other features that I'd take into account are in second sentence of my post.

I'd rather get a second hand HSF and buy a better mobo. You'd be surprised how cheaply at times good air coolers go on ebay. I paid £13.50 for a Thermalright Archon SB-E X2 inc mounting / fan clips / Y cable / 2x TY141. Seller had listed it as 1 faulty fan but it turned out the Y cable had a loose connection on 1 pin.

I don't have a windowed case but do still like cables tidily routed. I like a quiet PC and if the fans are running slow you're not getting that much air pressure IMO so you'd want to give it the best chance to flow IMO.
    i5 4690K @ 4.9GHz CPU@1.255v 4.4GHz Cache@1.10v - Archon SB-E X2 - Asus Maximus VII Ranger
    Kingston HyperX Savage 16GB@2400MHz 1T - Sapphire R9 Fury X (1145/545 Custom ROM, ~17.7K 3DM FS)
    Samsung 840 Evo 250GB - Cooler Master V850

R7 1700@3.8GHz - Archon IB-E X2 - Asus Crosshair VI Hero - G.Skill Trident Z 3200MHz C14 - Sapphire Fury X (1145/545 Custom ROM, ~17.2K 3DM FS)
    Samsung 840 Evo 250GB - Cooler Master V850

Registered+
    Thanks

Re: Building new PC

i Would get a mobo from gigabyte as they have good customer service in the UK, so if anything did go wrong it would be dealt with easily.

Thread Information