Thread: 32 bit processor vs 64 bit processor

Thanks

Question 32 bit processor vs 64 bit processor

hi Friends,
    you know,i read a lot of articles about this subject and i watched a lot of videos about them but i still confused because every one of them focus just about ram support (32 bit processor support up to 4 ram but 64 bit more than 4 gb) and this sentence like a dime a dozen in every video and article ,but when i search deeply:
    and i used some programs to found out if my cpu is 32 bit or 64 bit but i found a lot things i think that are illogical
    for instance when i do this steps i found contradiction:
    1- when i wrote this command in start (msinfo32) i found that type:base x86 (this refer to my system is 32 bit)
    2-then when i wrote (wmic) in start then i wrote cpu i saw that (addresswidth: 32 , datawidth: 64)
    3- when i used cpu-z program i found out that : my cpu support EM64T intel( Extended Memory 64 bit)

from all information(above) , my recap was:
    32 bit processor or 64 bit don't depend about just address bus width , it's also depend about data bus width
    in my case:
    my address width is 32 bit this refers that my system don't accepet more than 4 gb
    but cuz my cpu support that EM64T that means that data bus width is 64 bit that means
    i can install 64 bit operating system and 64 bit saftware cuz .
    so system type that is written when you write msinfo32(32 bit or 64 bit ) depends about address bus width.
    is my conclusion correct?!

Registered+
    Thanks

Re: 32 bit processor vs 64 bit processor

Find out your processor model and google it. Intel have a database of specs called ARK. But don't worry. Your processor is 64 bit.

Thanks
    • directhex's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Asus ROG Strix B550-I Gaming
      • CPU:
      • Ryzen 5900x
      • Memory:
      • 64GB G.Skill Trident Z RGB
      • Storage:
      • 2TB Seagate Firecuda 520
      • Graphics card(s):
      • EVGA GeForce RTX 3080 XC3 Ultra
      • PSU:
      • EVGA SuperNOVA 850W G3
      • Case:
      • NZXT H210i
      • Operating System:
      • Ubuntu 20.04, Windows 10
      • Monitor(s):
      • LG 34GN850
      • Internet:
      • FIOS

You have a 64-bit CPU (which is practically all of them for a decade), but might be running 32-bit Windows

Thanks

You can google your processor model and it is surely available. You have to keep in mind that whether it's 32 bit or 64 bit computer processor they handle information. The 32 bit handles not so large amount of RAM compare to 64 bit which handles large amounts.

Thanks

I understand your confusion as '64 bit' can refer to a number of different things. Probably the most common usage is address width but there's more to it than that depending on the context. E.g. with AMD64 (which is the 64 bit extension of x86, also adopted by Intel but under a different name, and often generically referred to as x86-64 or even x64, confusingly!) the extension nets you extra (and larger) registers. 64 bit can also refer to operand size but in the case of AMD64 integer it still works on 32 bit operands by default, but AMD64 processors also support 64 bit operands.

In addition to this you have vector extensions like SSE and AVX where you'll hear about 128/256 bit - this is referring to the data side; one instruction will work on multiple data words simultaneously (SIMD).

You might enjoy reading through a few of these:
    http://www.anandtech.com/show/1098/5
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/X86-64
    http://wiki.osdev.org/X86-64_Instruction_Encoding

Thread Information