Thread: Negotiating on discontinued stock

Registered+
    Thanks

Negotiating on discontinued stock

Hi, I was just wondering if anybody had been successful in negotiating discounts for discontinued stock with smaller retailers?

I have 2 LG ips243v-pn monitors which I bought for a £105 from Amazon when they where released. I stupidly should have bought 3 but for whatever reason I didn't. Less than 12 months later LG shipped the new model and 234v-pn stock disappeared in Europe.

I missed out on one on ebay the other day but it was an auction and went for more than the new version would have been (but much less than the majority of the remaining units I've found), so I guess there are still people like me out there.

I don't really want to ebay the two units, although I'm confident I'd make enough to more or less cover the cost of the 2 new ones. For relative ease I just want to buy another unit. I've seen a few retailers saying they have stock but at stupidly high prices.

Does anyone have any advice or experience in negotiating prices like this?

Cheers

Banhammer in peace PeterB kalniel's Avatar
    Thanks
    • kalniel's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Gigabyte Z390 Aorus Ultra
      • CPU:
      • Intel i9 9900k
      • Memory:
      • 32GB DDR4 3200 CL16
      • Storage:
      • 1TB Samsung 970Evo+ NVMe
      • Graphics card(s):
      • nVidia GTX 1060 6GB
      • PSU:
      • Seasonic 600W
      • Case:
      • Cooler Master HAF 912
      • Operating System:
      • Win 10 Pro x64
      • Monitor(s):
      • Dell S2721DGF
      • Internet:
      • rubbish

Re: Negotiating on discontinued stock

Well the usual - discounts for when you're doing them a favour, mark ups for when they're doing you one

Discontinued stock is usually discounted *if* there's a replacement line and the need to get rid of old stock. If there isn't a replacement line but there is a dependency then the value of the stock becomes higher, so a retailer in the know would charge a premium for it.

If it's the case that the old one is going for more than the new one on Ebay, chances are the shop are right to charge a premium. But if you can make the case for how it's in their benefit to get rid, you might be able to get a discount.

Thread Information