Thread: Looking for A new Monitor

Thanks

Looking for A new Monitor

Hi All

Looking for some friendly advice.

Recently got rid of my Acer G277HU as sick of the issus and after having 2 replacements and possibly 3rd just had enough and managed to get a refund.

Wanting something similar to replace.

Ideally 1440p upwards not overly fussed on Gsync/Freesync etc as have been looking at few of the Korean Bargains. Dont want a monitor tied to a graphics Card if honest

Just took delivery of an LG 29UM67 from a real shoddy retailer who thought it would be funny to send me a second hand one for same price as new.

I did like that one and I noticed a huge difference when freesync was on, just felt more fluid. Currently using R9 390 but also have GTX 970 in my drawer (R9 390 tends to play better overall but some games it lags behind slightly (doesn't seem to overclock well)

So what do people advise, budget wise anywhere upto around £320 at a push.

Thanks
    Last edited by cloudyrain; 03-11-2015 at 01:34 AM. Reason: mistake

Registered+
    Thanks

Re: Looking for A new Monitor

Might be a bit beyond your budget (although I got it from a competing site for £389 at the time but it's gone up to £450 ish now) but I can highly recommend the BenQ XL2730Z.

Don't let the TN panel in the specs put you off - this is a true 8-bit panel and the colours are amazingly (very close to an IPS panel minus the viewing angles).

The monitor is overall amazing and has very little downsides (no IPS glow or significant backlight bleed) and the 1ms gtg response time is lightning-fast - so much so that I don't feel the need to use the backlight strobe to reduce the motion blur (called Blur Reduction in BenQ's terms) like I felt compelled to use with my previous Eizo Foris FG2423 monitor.

My video review is below if interested:

Thanks

Thanks for recommendation TerminatorUK but slightly out of my range.

Would love to find a monitor that ticks all the right boxes that is neither Freesync or GSync, its so annoying that you can have competing market like that with nothing allowed that covers all the technology regardless of card.

Colour wise and display not overly concerned, this is going on a PC that everyone uses including games but its obviously good enough for 1440p games.

Came across this which is fairly cheap iiyama B2783QSU-B1, also bought a LG 29UM67 last week but it went back on Monday as not overly keen on resolution and the actual height. Been scouring the internet for the 34 version with Ultra HD resolution but seems pretty pricey still at moment, the 34UM67 seems a decent buy but height of screen is what lets it down

We already have a fairly expensive monitor we use for Work (10 bit)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by cloudyrain View Post
    Would love to find a monitor that ticks all the right boxes that is neither Freesync or GSync, its so annoying that you can have competing market like that with nothing allowed that covers all the technology regardless of card.
    Freesync isn't a technology. It's AMD's marketing push for the adaptive sync technology adopted by the DisplayPort standard. Intel have also said they're going to support DisplayPort Adaptive Sync. As it's part of the standard I'd expect it to be the standard of choice for anyone else who wants to enter the market (Consoles come the next generation, ARM gaming boxes perhaps).

I'd expect nVidia to milk G-sync for what it's worth and then switch over, they've been outmaneuverd on this one, although current generation cards may not get support added.

Thread Information