• Taz's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Gigabyte Z270 HD3P
      • CPU:
      • Intel Core i5 7600K
      • Memory:
      • Corsair CMK16GX4M2B3200C16R Vengeance LPX 16 GB
      • Storage:
      • Samsung 960 EVO M.2-2280 500GB (PCIe) + 1TB Sandisk Ultra II SSD (SATA)
      • Graphics card(s):
      • Asus NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1070 OC
      • PSU:
      • Corsair CS550M 550W Hybrid
      • Case:
      • NZXT Source 340
      • Operating System:
      • Windows 10 Pro
      • Monitor(s):
      • 34" Asus Designo Curve MX34VQ UWQHD Monitor
      • Internet:
      • Virgin Media M350

Re: DVD player that can read external HDD via USB

Quote Originally Posted by couchpants View Post
    hey guys, im so glad ive found someone trying to do the same thing i am.
    Maybe you could help me get this working? I would appreciate it so much.

Ive had a Seagate FreeAgent 500GB usb hdd for a while now, and i recently bought a Samsung DVD-P380 for the sole purpose of playing videos off of my hard drive. I tested it with a 1GB flash drive, worked fine, and tried playing avi off of a dvd and works great. But it does not recognize my Seagate at all. Ive tried calling Samsung, they were no help at all, they basically read back the manual to me, quoting the two specific models of hdds that they say works with this model of dvd player. I also emailed them, wondering if there was a firmware upgrade that may help, but again was told, "the UDB host is designed for accepting small type of plug & play media devices that requires not drivers to communicate. Your seagate is probably too big and we do not have any such driver to provide" thats an exact quote...
    So my question, is there anyway of telling which hdds will work with what dvd players? or is there anything else i can try to make this one work?

thankyou so much for reading...
    I had to experiment to get my Philips DVD player to recognise my external HDD. In the end, I found that I had to keep the HDD powered off whilst the DVD player powered up. It then displayed a 'no disc' message (which was correct). At that point I powered up the external HDD and the DVD player found it after about 10 seconds. This was the only way that I could reliably get it to read the external HDD every time. Perhaps you could try this out too on your DVD player?

Thanks

'DVP5960/05' not avaliable in market. its upgraded version DVP3996X/94 is now avaliable.
    can we get the same result with this model.

secondly this DVD player can support only Freecom hdd or will support any other.

Thanks

'DVP5960/05' not avaliable in market. its upgraded version DVP3996X/94 is now avaliable.
    can we get the same result with this model.

secondly this DVD player can support only Freecom hdd or will support any other.

Thanks

i got also the same problem, my USB can read by me DVD Player and it has USB port also, and it read movies and pictures, but when i try to insert my External Hard Drive which is Freecom ToughDrive 320GB, it says Read USB, when after a few seconds nothing happen. i dont know the version of our dvd player but i do know that is is a promac, ill try to post my DVD player when i get back home, i hope i got fast reply for this because im kinda freakout

Thanks

I'm not that tech-savvy, but I've been using a Magnavox DVD Recorder with an internal 320GB HDD. I love it. I've been recording concerts and recording them to DVD. It works quite well, but I'm interested in a recorder to which I can connect an external HDD that I can write and read, so that I can archive everything I've recorded without to offload some to Disks. My plan would be to connect a couple of terabyres which would allow me to have about 800 hours of concerts or special presentations available without a cabinet full of disks. Vendors' descriptions and most of these threads talk about reading from the external HDD, but no one has mentiond writing to the external HDD in lieu of the internal HDD.

travisimi

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread Information