Thread: 3d Blu-Ray player....or PS3?

Thanks

3d Blu-Ray player....or PS3?

Hi all,

I need some way of playing 3d blu-rays to go with my lovely new LG 60PZ250T. It seems that the cheapest 3d blu-ray players are about £90-100 now (E.G Sony BDPS-480, Panasonic BDT110).

Or alternatively I could get a PS3 for 190 quid (maybe a bit less secondhand). I don't particularly want a PS3, but for the additional £100 I'll probably get my money's worth of fun with a few second hand games.

Any thoughts? Has anyone got any recommendations for 3d players, or any advice about which model PS3 to buy if I go secondhand? I assume they can all do proper 3D Blu-Ray with the latest firmware, which is presumably trivial to update?

TIA.

Thanks

Re: 3d Blu-Ray player....or PS3?

Quote Originally Posted by Rave View Post
    I assume they can all do proper 3D Blu-Ray with the latest firmware, which is presumably trivial to update?

TIA.
    Not sure about 3D as I don't have a 3D TV and I think it's a fad, but that's a different discussion

BUT I do use a PS3 for Blu-Ray - it's the very 1st version they brought out, the firmware is stupid easy to update from a web connection... BUT it has been known to fire up the fans full-pelt about half way through movies, sounding like it's going to take off for the rest of the film !!

If you're not after the PS3 for games i'd stick to a dedicated device - the only advantage the PS3 has other than games is iPlayer really, but a lot of the newer Blu-Ray players have that now anyway.
    Quote Originally Posted by The Mock Turtle
    “Reeling and Writhing, of course, to begin with, and then the different branches of arithmetic -- Ambition, Distraction, Uglification, and Derision."
    System:Atari 2600 CPU:8-bit 6507 (1.19MHz) RAM:128 bytes Colours: 16 (4 on screen) Resolution: 192x160

Anthropomorphic Personification shaithis's Avatar
    Thanks
    • shaithis's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Asus P8Z77 WS
      • CPU:
      • i7 3770k @ 4.5GHz
      • Memory:
      • 32GB HyperX 1866
      • Storage:
      • Lots!
      • Graphics card(s):
      • Sapphire Fury X
      • PSU:
      • Corsair HX850
      • Case:
      • Corsair 600T (White)
      • Operating System:
      • Windows 10 x64
      • Monitor(s):
      • 2 x Dell 3007
      • Internet:
      • Zen 80Mb Fibre

The PS3 is a great little BD player but depending on your needs, can fail at 3D BD.

Basically, you can not have 3D BD with LPCM/TrueHD/DTS-MA sound. You can only use the older DD/DTS audio formats.
    Main PC: Asus Rampage IV Extreme / 3960X@4.5GHz / Antec H1200 Pro / 32GB DDR3-1866 Quad Channel / Sapphire Fury X / Areca 1680 / 850W EVGA SuperNOVA Gold 2 / Corsair 600T / 2x Dell 3007 / 4 x 250GB SSD + 2 x 80GB SSD / 4 x 1TB HDD (RAID 10) / Windows 10 Pro, Yosemite & Ubuntu
    HTPC: AsRock Z77 Pro 4 / 3770K@4.2GHz / 24GB / GTX 1080 / SST-LC20 / Antec TP-550 / Hisense 65k5510 4K TV / HTC Vive / 2 x 240GB SSD + 12TB HDD Space / Race Seat / Logitech G29 / Win 10 Pro
    HTPC2: Asus AM1I-A / 5150 / 4GB / Corsair Force 3 240GB / Silverstone SST-ML05B + ST30SF / Samsung UE60H6200 TV / Windows 10 Pro
    Spare/Loaner: Gigabyte EX58-UD5 / i950 / 12GB / HD7870 / Corsair 300R / Silverpower 700W modular
    NAS 1: HP N40L / 12GB ECC RAM / 2 x 3TB Arrays || NAS 2: Dell PowerEdge T110 II / 24GB ECC RAM / 2 x 3TB Hybrid arrays || Network:Buffalo WZR-1166DHP w/DD-WRT + HP ProCurve 1800-24G
    Laptop: Dell Precision 5510 Printer: HP CP1515n || Phone: Huawei P30 || Other: Samsung Galaxy Tab 4 Pro 10.1 CM14 / Playstation 4 + G29 + 2TB Hybrid drive

Banned
    Thanks

100 notes for a blu-ray player

Or 200 notes for a blu-ray player that does iplayer,4od,itv catchup and some great games.

Also the blue-ray remote for the PS3 is excellent. (10-15 quid extra)

Thanks
    • jimborae's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Gigabyte Aorus Z390 Pro
      • CPU:
      • Core i7 9700K@4.7Ghz
      • Memory:
      • Team Group DDR-3000 32Gig
      • Storage:
      • 1x Samsung 870 Evo 500Gb SSD, 1 x WD Red 4TB
      • Graphics card(s):
      • Gigabyte Radeon 5700XT watercooled
      • PSU:
      • XFX 850W Black Edition
      • Case:
      • Phantek Enthoo Prime
      • Operating System:
      • Windows 10 Pro
      • Monitor(s):
      • 2 xDell 24"
      • Internet:
      • PlusNet 70Mb

Quote Originally Posted by abaxas View Post
    100 notes for a blu-ray player

Or 200 notes for a blu-ray player that does iplayer,4od,itv catchup and some great games.

Also the blue-ray remote for the PS3 is excellent. (10-15 quid extra)
    And is a capable media centre using PS3Media Centre or TVersity etc. Plus it gets regular updates unlike cheapo Blu-Ray players and the video quality is still top notch both on Blu ray & DVD. The only thing against it is that it can't do multi region unlike some blu ray players

Thanks

Hmm- yes I will presumably need a seperate remote to avoid faffing around with a wired PS3 controller to pause etc. I assume PS3s come with wired controllers as standard? That will also be a faff as you really need to sit a fair distance from a 60" screen....

The latest update to the PS3 firmware will apparently output DTS Master Audio with 3D content, just not Dolby TrueHD. I had a look at my (so far pretty small) blu-ray collection and all but one of the discs that have a high def audio track use DTS-MA (Planet Earth only has plain DD 5.1 I think). This is a moot point until I decide what to do about a surround sound system anyway- layout of the room really doesn't lend itself to any kind of permanent 5.1 setup unfortunately, and so at the moment I'm just using an old NAD stereo amp and a pair of fairly cheap Mission speakers mounted on bookshelves above the telly.

I don't particularly need iplayer as we have a V+ box with On Demand. And the telly itself can play stuff from USB just fine.

Hmm. Still wavering TBH!

Thanks
    • Dareos's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Gigabyte Z77 - UD3H
      • CPU:
      • Intel i5 Ivy Bridge
      • Memory:
      • 16GB Corsair Vengeance
      • Storage:
      • Crucial M4 128GB, Seagate Barracuda 2TB
      • Graphics card(s):
      • Gigabyte Geforce 670 OC Windforce x 2
      • PSU:
      • Corsair 1050 Modular
      • Case:
      • Fractal R3
      • Operating System:
      • Win 7
      • Monitor(s):
      • 27" DGM and 40" Samsung TV
      • Internet:
      • 152 Mb Virgin

ps3 comes with one wireless controller that you can use as a remote for blu rays. On a side note, and not sure if your TV is capable of this, but Samsungs anynet+ option actually lets me use my Samsung remote to control my PS3 and my Media Center, which is kinda funky. LG may have a similar function, not sure.
    We're only here for the Banter - The Luvvies - Chewin' The Fat

Violence and Lubrication is the solution to fixing everything, if it still doesn't work, you need more lubrication.

Quote Originally Posted by this_is_gav View Post
    How do you change the height of them?

I've just had a quick fiddle with the knob at the front :\

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Dareos View Post
    ps3 comes with one wireless controller that you can use as a remote for blu rays. On a side note, and not sure if your TV is capable of this, but Samsungs anynet+ option actually lets me use my Samsung remote to control my PS3 and my Media Center, which is kinda funky. LG may have a similar function, not sure.
    Is that via the HDMI lead? I agree that that is pretty cool! Always got too many remotes round here. I'll look into it. There are certainly stop/play/pause etc. controls on the LG remote for playing video files from USB....

Thread Information