Thread: KV2 Extreme - Flash ROM Write-Protected

Thanks

KV2 Extreme - Flash ROM Write-Protected

Hi,

I recently purchased a KV2 Extreme, running BIOS version 1.1h. Does this version support the AMD FX-55 - is there going to be any advantage in upgrading to the latest BIOS (1.3d)?

I've tried to upgrade the BIOS anyway and at present receive the message 'Flash ROM Write-Protected' using the AWDFLASH.EXE utility I downloaded from the KV2 Extreme section of the ECS website. However, I can see no option to disable BIOS write-protection in the BIOS and there don't appear to be any suitable jumpers on the board, or mentioned in the manual. Can anyone help out?

Also, I'm having a problem where a soft reboot (i.e. not pressing the reset switch) results in no video output. I've tried a minimum setup (CPU, memory, video card), but still get the same problem. Any ideas?

Edit: Just to add to this, my system is:
    * Antec TruePower 2.0 480W PSU
    * AMD Opteron 146 CPU
    * 2x512MB DDR modules (unbranded), running dual-channel
    * Geforce 6800 Ultra (AGP)
    * Creative Audigy 2 ZS soundcard
    * 2xDVD drives (1 RW)
    * 2xHDD
    * 1x56kbps modem
    Last edited by olamm2k; 26-10-2006 at 01:38 PM.

Thanks
    JP3 must be set to pin 1-2. This will allow writing to the BIOS chip.

Thanks
    Hi Jussi,

Thanks for the prompt relpy. I did already have a look for the JP3 jumper because it's mentioned in one or two other posts on here, but I can't see it. Where is it on the board? It's not mentioned in the manual.

Oliver

Thanks
    I found it - cunningly hidden beneath my modem! (Right in the bottom-left corner of the motherboard).

Flashing the BIOS also seems to have fixed my video problem...

Thanks
    Okay, that's not the end of it!

I installed said FX-55 and it worked beautifully... for the first five minutes. Then the machine crashed and on restart, I get a series of long slow beeps and no display output. I know on some motherboards, this means the memory is unseated - is that the case for the KV2? The memory is the same I've been using for ages.

Also, turning the machine off and leaving it for a minute or two seems to allow it to restart again - before crashing a bit later.

Any ideas?

Thanks
    Still no thoughts on this?

Thanks

I'm curious

that so many people are having problems with flashing this mothorboard. I've spoken to a number of ECS tech support people regards to a similar problem to yours (Holland, UK, TW) - i've ruled out as many possibilities as posible and i'm left with either BIOS or mobo component failure.

The previous owner actually had the CMOS battery in backwards which indicates he too was attempting to clear the BIOS but this has not helped. I still believe the key to this is using the TOP HAT to restore a default ver e.g. 1.0 and then if this helps to boot the PC then flash to 1.3.

I would be interested to know if anyone is willing to part with their TOP HAT to help me out. I am willing to put favors, help, support, or possibly money to anyone willing to part with theirs.

Best of luck.

Thanks
    Thanks for your feedback; however, I had no problems with the flash once I'd found the BIOS protection jumper - maybe this is something that could be labelled in a future copy of the manual?

I still haven't found out what the beep code means, though, and I sometimes get a crash a few minutes after booting up for the first time - but never after the machine has been on for a while.

Thanks
    tech support suggests that the beeping (and I agree partially to this) may be related to the graphics or the memory not being seated properly...now this may very well relate to your crashing on bootup as component tolerances (like voltages etc.) may be more favorable when your machine is warm - and not when your machine is cold. That is likely to indicate
    1. Power supply (ATX)
    2. Component failure (worn, faulty, overheating capacitors etc)
    3. enviroment is too hot or cold
    just a thought

Thread Information