Page 1 of 12 123411 ... LastLast

Thread: What's your favourite game of all time

Registered+
    Thanks

What's your favourite game of all time

What is your favourite game of all time?
    I'm going to pick Mario kart double dash on the game cube. Mainly I chose this because of the ridiculous amount of hours and social fun I've had with friends and family.
    We also played an eight play mario kart game we hooked up two gamecubes on two TVs I guess now you can play online 2 from each console meaning you will have 4 wii's on a split screen
    But mario kart is better together and double dash was my favourite. Half the arguments and weapons available then was crazy

but there are a ridiculous amount to chose from but based on how much fun and hours played I'm going with this
    My next choice would have been killer instinct on the snes. Another game that I spent hours with friends and family playing. I also loved a game called fighters destiny on the 64 and the thq wrestling games were pretty awesome for gameplay
    Saying that smackdown on the ps or ps2 was good
    Was going to mention a few transport tycoon games and mech commander but really loved red alert

SUMMONER

Re: What's your favourite game of all time

The best ever games would have to be Maniac Mansion and Zak McKracken on the Commodore 64. We had half the neighbourhood pile up in our living room to play those games.

Looking at more recent games, it would have to be Fallout 3. That game was just awesomely captivating.

Kai
    Banned
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by SUMMONER View Post
    The best ever games would have to be Maniac Mansion and Zak McKracken on the Commodore 64. We had half the neighbourhood pile up in our living room to play those games.

Looking at more recent games, it would have to be Fallout 3. That game was just awesomely captivating.
    You must of lived in a very poor neighborhood , or had a really cute sister .

SUMMONER

Quote Originally Posted by Kai View Post
    You must of lived in a very poor neighborhood , or had a really cute sister .
    Small village in the German countryside, what do you expect?¿ The opening of a supermarket nearby was a huge event with spectators and ribbon cutting by the mayor.

On the upside, I knew how to drive a tractor by the time I was 10.
    Last edited by SUMMONER; 18-08-2013 at 03:00 AM.

Kai
    Banned
    Thanks

Small village in the German countryside, what do you expect?¿ The opening of a supermarket nearby was a huge event with spectators and ribbon cutting by the mayor.

On the upside, I knew how to drive a tractor by the time I was 10.
    you call that small ?

Our huge event was getting 4 traffic lights on the high st.

Thanks
    • Ferral's system
      • Motherboard:
      • ASUS Z97-P
      • CPU:
      • Intel i7 4790K Haswell
      • Memory:
      • 12Gb Corsair XMS3 DDR3 1600 Mhz
      • Storage:
      • 120Gb Kingston SSD & 2 Tb Toshiba
      • Graphics card(s):
      • Sapphire Radeon R9 380 Nitro 4Gb
      • PSU:
      • Antec Truepower 750 Watt Modular
      • Case:
      • Fractal Design Focus G Mid Tower
      • Operating System:
      • Windows 10 64 bit
      • Monitor(s):
      • 28" iiyama Prolite 4K
      • Internet:
      • 80Mb BT Fiber

I was playing Zak McKraken on the C64 yesterday, love the game to this day, I played up to the point where you get the blue crystal, returned home to where you drop it in the dropbox to meet up with the first female character. Went to save it but the blank disk I used was corrupt and caused it to crash so have to start again, will be restarting in the next hour or so.

LOAD"*",8,1 and away you go!!!

My favorite game of all time has to be Last Ninja 2 from System 3 on C64, play through it quite often and it never bores me.

I have also been playing Neuromancer, Nobby the Aardvark, Platoon and Rick Dangerous on my C64. All of them are all time favorites.

Played through Castlevania Symphony of the Night on PS1 earlier this week and must admit after completion it is another favorite that I will play through again. Just waiting now for Lords of Shadow to unlock on Steam, roll on 27th August, hope they pre load it.

Recently the game I keep going back to has been Borderlands 2 though, 136 hours so far, playing through a second time with Axton and still yet to finish Tiny Tina with Zero.

Kai
    Banned
    Thanks

you know one thing I miss most about those 80s days ?

Was the fact there was an arcade market for better tech games than available for home gamers to give gamers & developers something to yearn for emulate , and now there's nothing - no real paradigm of gaming like there was back then that made you feel excited about each arcade / pc game as though it were big blockbuster.

I think thats killed of lot creativity at expense of focusing on purely the graphics side and just doing upgrades for that and assuming it will lead to better games , and also the fact there are far too many pointless upgrades that hardly make any noticeable difference to overall gaming experience at all that really only matter to tech heads and rather the average user who become exploited over needing to update.

It would be nice to see someone out there doing something not commercially available 10 yrs or so ahead of everything as trailblazer for everything else ( lets call it a gaming institute ) designed to improve and enhance gaming by forcing developers to try and play catch up instead of just milking us with cookie cutter FPS shooters.

Thanks
    • Nipun's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Intel DH67BL
      • CPU:
      • Intel® Core™ i3-2100 Processor
      • Memory:
      • G-skill 4GB DDR 3
      • Storage:
      • 500GB sata HDD
      • Graphics card(s):
      • Intel HD 2000
      • Operating System:
      • Windows 7 32bit

I love prince of Persia the DOS game, Fable and age of mythology ; games that really make me little bit sad by thinking why i complete this game i should have play little bit slowly. hahaha.
    but of course POP is having 1 hour to complete all the stages of the game.
    other than that i love skyrim. its a one of a game that really have almost perfect storyline and good side missions.
    if(lifeGivesYou == lemons){
    makeLemonade()
    }

jim
    Thanks
    • jim's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Asus Maximus IV Gene-Z
      • CPU:
      • i5 2500K @ 4.5GHz
      • Memory:
      • 8GB Corsair Vengeance LP
      • Storage:
      • 1TB Sandisk SSD
      • Graphics card(s):
      • ASUS GTX 970
      • PSU:
      • Corsair AX650
      • Case:
      • Silverstone Fortress FT03
      • Operating System:
      • 8.1 Pro
      • Monitor(s):
      • Dell S2716DG
      • Internet:
      • 10 Mbps ADSL

It's probably a dead-heat between Battlefield 2, San Andreas and Mass Effect 2.

The first was easily the best online game I've ever played, and nothing else comes close. The second, for a combination of storyline, gameplay and humour was just a tremendous combination. As for Mass Effect 2... well. It's very difficult for me to judge it fairly now, because I was so thoroughly disappointed by ME3, and a lot of what I loved about ME2 was what it promised for the future. Since it acutally promised a gigantic faceplant, in retrospect it feels like a bit of a let-down. But playing through, it's some of the most enjoyment I've ever had from a video game.

I'm racking my brain now, but I can't think of anything else that comes close to those three. The only thing that does come to mind is Mafia 2 - although it had a lot of failings, I think it had the best atmosphere of perhaps any game I've ever played. It's one of the only releases of recent years that really sticks out in my mind.

Kai
    Banned
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by snootyjim View Post
    It's probably a dead-heat between Battlefield 2, San Andreas and Mass Effect 2.

The first was easily the best online game I've ever played, and nothing else comes close. The second, for a combination of storyline, gameplay and humour was just a tremendous combination. As for Mass Effect 2... well. It's very difficult for me to judge it fairly now, because I was so thoroughly disappointed by ME3, and a lot of what I loved about ME2 was what it promised for the future. Since it acutally promised a gigantic faceplant, in retrospect it feels like a bit of a let-down. But playing through, it's some of the most enjoyment I've ever had from a video game.

I'm racking my brain now, but I can't think of anything else that comes close to those three. The only thing that does come to mind is Mafia 2 - although it had a lot of failings, I think it had the best atmosphere of perhaps any game I've ever played. It's one of the only releases of recent years that really sticks out in my mind.
    I loved Mafia 2 as well , even had weird flashbacks playing it as though I were reliving a past life - I assuming theirs a 3rd planned ( i hope ) ?

Thanks
    • cheesyboy's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Gigabye 970a-UD3P
      • CPU:
      • Athlon X2 270 Cooled by fanless Xigmatek Thor's Hammer
      • Memory:
      • 1x4GB Ballistix Tactical 1600
      • Storage:
      • 1TB WD Blue
      • Graphics card(s):
      • ASUS GTX560Ti
      • PSU:
      • 400w Be Quiet Pure Power L8
      • Case:
      • Bitfenix Shinobi Mid-Tower Black/Green
      • Operating System:
      • Windows 8.1

Favourites by system
    (System : approx years played : game)
    C64 : 1988 - 1994 : Ghostbusters
    Gameboy : 1991 - 1995 : Legend of Zelda
    SNES : 1994 - 1997 : Super Metroid / Mario kart
    PS1 : 1997 - 2001 : Final Fantasy VII
    N64 : 2000 - 2002 : Goldeneye
    Dreamcast : 2001 - 2003 : Soul Calibur
    PC : 1995 - 2006 : Red Alert
    X360 : 2008 - 2010 : Dead Rising

Difficult to pick an absolute favourite from those

Registered+
    Thanks
    Never played those games will have to check it out on YouTube. Thanks for sharing

Quote Originally Posted by cheesyboy View Post
    Favourites by system
    (System : approx years played : game)
    C64 : 1988 - 1994 : Ghostbusters
    Gameboy : 1991 - 1995 : Legend of Zelda
    SNES : 1994 - 1997 : Super Metroid / Mario kart
    PS1 : 1997 - 2001 : Final Fantasy VII
    N64 : 2000 - 2002 : Goldeneye
    Dreamcast : 2001 - 2003 : Soul Calibur
    PC : 1995 - 2006 : Red Alert
    X360 : 2008 - 2010 : Dead Rising

Difficult to pick an absolute favourite from those
    Ok I need to play dead rising
    Red alert was ace. Golden eye was one of the best games out at the time and I loved rares perfect dark on the 64. I was really upset with the 360 version I literally pulled the game out within the first 10 minutes. You really can't beat gameplay with better graphics.
    I've not played the final fantasy games RPGs are tough for me to find the time with now. Ghostbusters was great on c64 I remember playing losing then my little brother pressed play instead of rewind and we continued to the next level. Did you ever play midnight resistance? Nice chart.

Difficult to pick an absolute favourite from those[/QUOTE]

Quote Originally Posted by Kai View Post
    I loved Mafia 2 as well , even had weird flashbacks playing it as though I were reliving a past life - I assuming theirs a 3rd planned ( i hope ) ?
    I've not played mafia two but it did look good. I'm sure they will make a sequel. Maybe on the next console

Fallout three I've not even had the time to play it all but I just found myself amazed how in depth they went. It was so easy to spend a day running around fighting and looting if I do get the chance if love to revisit the game.

Thanks

Until recently Fallout3 was my favourite of all time. It took me a couple of attempts to get into (the initial 'tutorial' phase is a bit off-putting) but it's an amazingly well imagined experience, despite the aging graphics engine.

However recently my PS3 -- which, embarrassingly, I bought just to drive GT5 at the Nordschleife -- has been dusted off for The Last of Us. Although this is another game with a slow, even disappointing start which emphasises somewhat flawed gameplay at times, eventually something unique happened and I got sucked into the experience in a way no other game has got close to.

It's not a perfect game, and it's not a perfect story, but for me it's easily the most perfect immersive, involving gaming experience I've ever had. It's Naughty Dog taking a whole generation of experience and pouring it into a true interactive movie.

I'm remarkably fussy in my old age. Life's short... games are largely a trivial waste of time (like most hobbies, I guess!) I have lots of other interests, and I rarely buy games outside Steam Sales now, because I rarely get very far in them. But Last of Us made me remember why I can't quite "grow up" and give up gaming, despite hitting 50 this year. :-)

Thanks
    • cheesyboy's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Gigabye 970a-UD3P
      • CPU:
      • Athlon X2 270 Cooled by fanless Xigmatek Thor's Hammer
      • Memory:
      • 1x4GB Ballistix Tactical 1600
      • Storage:
      • 1TB WD Blue
      • Graphics card(s):
      • ASUS GTX560Ti
      • PSU:
      • 400w Be Quiet Pure Power L8
      • Case:
      • Bitfenix Shinobi Mid-Tower Black/Green
      • Operating System:
      • Windows 8.1

Quote Originally Posted by Bboykoo View Post
    Ok I need to play dead rising
    It's really great - it looks like a bit of a casual gaming title, with the goofy graphics and silly weapons, but it's actually a proper hardcore game. It's difficult, but enjoyable, and I even really appreciate the awkward save system (a lot of people didn't like it, but I felt it added to the claustrophobia. Plus, my gaming roots are with '80s titles, where that type of frustration was part of the experience)

Midnight resistance?
    I played the arcade version back in the day. Love all the weapon upgrades and relentless action. I should get it on emulator...

Thanks

Favourite game of all time is pretty difficult, I wouldn't be able to single out only one game
    The list of games below I remember putting a whole lotta hours into. Hours into Days into weeks into months. Even replaying them just for fun.
    In order of play:

Prince of Persia (Remember playing this on my first PC - 386 with a monochrome monitor.)
    Megaman 1 - 6 (I say 1 to 6 because I had a cartridge with all of them on it and would alternate between them)
    Double Dragon 3
    Death Rally (The Original DOS game, not the IOS port)
    Grand Theft Auto 1
    Tintin in Tibet
    Rocket Knight Adventures
    Final Fantasy VIII
    Super Mario Galaxy
    Tekken Tag 2

Kai
    Banned
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Andrew McP View Post
    Until recently Fallout3 was my favourite of all time. It took me a couple of attempts to get into (the initial 'tutorial' phase is a bit off-putting) but it's an amazingly well imagined experience, despite the aging graphics engine.

However recently my PS3 -- which, embarrassingly, I bought just to drive GT5 at the Nordschleife -- has been dusted off for The Last of Us. Although this is another game with a slow, even disappointing start which emphasises somewhat flawed gameplay at times, eventually something unique happened and I got sucked into the experience in a way no other game has got close to.

It's not a perfect game, and it's not a perfect story, but for me it's easily the most perfect immersive, involving gaming experience I've ever had. It's Naughty Dog taking a whole generation of experience and pouring it into a true interactive movie.

I'm remarkably fussy in my old age. Life's short... games are largely a trivial waste of time (like most hobbies, I guess!) I have lots of other interests, and I rarely buy games outside Steam Sales now, because I rarely get very far in them. But Last of Us made me remember why I can't quite "grow up" and give up gaming, despite hitting 50 this year. :-)
    Dont ever grow up, old age with kill you long before Death ever will.

Page 1 of 12 123411 ... LastLast

Thread Information