Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Dark Souls 2

ZaO

Re: Dark Souls 2

thank god for the bonfire fast travel system! i usually disable fast travel in these type of games. and use some kind of mod that doesn't allow for it to be so quick and easy to do (like the carriages in skyrim). but in this game - i think it just be the thing that helps me see it through. and man, i wanna see this game through! still the same dark souls i know and love/hate. and that is totally a good/horrible thing lol

and incase anyone doesn't already know - don't join the champions covenant (the big stone you kneel at in mejula). well, unless you're a glutton for punishment! i looked it up yesterday and found out that it just makes the game even harder! of course, the rewards are supposedly better for it. but i think this game is kicking my ass enough tbh haha..

Thanks

So I got Dark Souls 2 a bit later than everyone else. Got it a month back, and for the past 2 weeks I have been playing whenever I can. I finally seem to have gotten pretty decent at the game now, although some of the boses that others claimed were easy was actally pretty difficult for me. Like it took me about 15 tries to defeat the Pursuer, and I had to go back to beat him after levelling up further.

I've got about 20 hours with this character now (Gave up on the first after 6 hours). I'm really enjoying the game now, and seem to have enough health to survive more than one or two attacks, although some ambushes still get me. I've also been playing as Human, and use the Ring of Life Protection; so love the fact that you can repair and re-use it.

One thing I've noticed is I have not been invaded once yet, I play online on the PS3. I don't mind this, as I'm not really a fan of PvP (the game is hard enough!). I remember in the DS1, when I turn human to kindle a bonfire, I get invaded in less than a minute so was always a countdown to see if I can do it before getting invaded and killed. Guess with so many people playing, there's more people in the queue.

I defeated the Lost Sinner yesterday, it was a pretty easy fight with Lucatiel's help. Now am trudging through Huntman's Copse. Think this is the furthest I've got in a Souls game to date. This has got to be the game I've enjoyed playing the most this year so far.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Scryder View Post
    So I got Dark Souls 2 a bit later than everyone else. Got it a month back, and for the past 2 weeks I have been playing whenever I can. I finally seem to have gotten pretty decent at the game now, although some of the boses that others claimed were easy was actally pretty difficult for me. Like it took me about 15 tries to defeat the Pursuer, and I had to go back to beat him after levelling up further.

I've got about 20 hours with this character now (Gave up on the first after 6 hours). I'm really enjoying the game now, and seem to have enough health to survive more than one or two attacks, although some ambushes still get me. I've also been playing as Human, and use the Ring of Life Protection; so love the fact that you can repair and re-use it.

One thing I've noticed is I have not been invaded once yet, I play online on the PS3. I don't mind this, as I'm not really a fan of PvP (the game is hard enough!). I remember in the DS1, when I turn human to kindle a bonfire, I get invaded in less than a minute so was always a countdown to see if I can do it before getting invaded and killed. Guess with so many people playing, there's more people in the queue.

I defeated the Lost Sinner yesterday, it was a pretty easy fight with Lucatiel's help. Now am trudging through Huntman's Copse. Think this is the furthest I've got in a Souls game to date. This has got to be the game I've enjoyed playing the most this year so far.
    You're doing way better than me on my first play through.
    But now since then, I'm almost finished my first NG+. I really am enjoying the second play through, so much more than the first! (Being stronger definitely helps!)

Regarding the invasions, I think you have to join a covenant first

Thanks

I definately found start of this game easier than DS1, as on that I didn't get past Sen's fortress the first time I played it.

Think I joined the Way of the Blue, but to be honest I'm not looking to be invaded or PvP till I get to NG+. I'm quite enjoying being left alone actually.

Has anyone used Bonfire Ascetic and seen the effects in NG+ or above? I want to use it on Heide's Tower to farm some more souls from the old Knights, but am worried if I'll get into trouble in subsequent playthroughs.... don't want to run into an impossible wall later on with this character.

ZaO

i played this game a lot within the first few days of it being out. took 66 hours to get through i could never complete the first one as there wasn't enough help available, so i got stuck on a lot of boss battles. i also found that i would forget where the hell i'm meant to be going after leaving the game alone for a couple of weeks. i played dark souls 2 pretty consistently though, and there was plenty of players to summon on a regular basis. this made it way easier to get through the game. and that's something you need to consider here. by being available for online play, you risk being invaded. but on the other hand, you are able to call for help from other players, and help other players out. just keep using those rings that save your souls when you die. dying isn't such a pain in the ass then

Registered+
    Thanks

Finished the game on my cleric in about 40 or so hours. I have cheesed some bosses though; considering how easy it can be to keep spamming lightning spear. :/ All in all I do feel like its a great game. Wouldn't compare it to Dark Souls 1, as some people seem to do. It feels entirely different. Different enough to stand on its own in my opinion. My favorite moment was [spoiler]when playing with a friend he got eaten up by a boss and then spit out without any of his equipment. He ran around naked figuring out what to do, only to find out that all the boss did was unequip everything he had. He still had most of it in his inventory. Here's the video we made: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LlKQQD_xQ34 [/spoiler]

Thanks
    • kopite's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Asus Maximus IV Gene-Z
      • CPU:
      • Intel Core i5 2500K
      • Memory:
      • 8GB DDR3 1600 MHz Corsair Memory Vengeance Black
      • Storage:
      • 128GB Crucial m4 for main drive. 3.5 TB of storage space over western Digital Drives
      • Graphics card(s):
      • Gigabyte NVIDIA GTX 970 G1 Gaming Edition
      • PSU:
      • 750W ANTEC TRUEPOWER
      • Case:
      • Silverstone Fortress FT03
      • Operating System:
      • Windows 10
      • Monitor(s):
      • 1 x 27 inch dell Monitor 1 x 20 inch Dell monitor
      • Internet:
      • Virgin media 150MB

I've come to the party a bit late but started playing afew weeks back after finally completing Dark souls 1

The weapon fatigue is a bit annoying as I tend to mash at times so I need to calm down and not smash the attack when things come towards me

I've just killed the skeleton lords which where pretty easy.

So far the only boss that gave me any trouble was the persuer but that was because I kept messing up my parry or getting him to stop in the wrong place to shoot with the balister.

I prefer DS1 atm. Although that could be because I complete it and I'm still relatively early in the game.

One thing though I am trying to preserve my human effigys so spend a lot of time hollow. is there somwhere to farm them ala the depths in ds1 for stamina?

Thanks
    • Ferral's system
      • Motherboard:
      • ASUS Z97-P
      • CPU:
      • Intel i7 4790K Haswell
      • Memory:
      • 12Gb Corsair XMS3 DDR3 1600 Mhz
      • Storage:
      • 120Gb Kingston SSD & 2 Tb Toshiba
      • Graphics card(s):
      • Sapphire Radeon R9 380 Nitro 4Gb
      • PSU:
      • Antec Truepower 750 Watt Modular
      • Case:
      • Fractal Design Focus G Mid Tower
      • Operating System:
      • Windows 10 64 bit
      • Monitor(s):
      • 28" iiyama Prolite 4K
      • Internet:
      • 80Mb BT Fiber

You can get Effigies at Shrine of Amana, the creatures that are in the water you wade through, there is an area after the first bonfire where there are around 8 of them lying face down, you can take them out with a bow. Just watch out as there is a dark spirit there and a few priestesses, take out the spirit and other enemies before starting on the critters in the water.

I would suggest upping your luck before farming this area as you want to maximise what you get / drop rate with the limited respawns. Things like the Gold Covetous ring and the merchant or jester armour I believe is what ups you luck rating, haven't played it in months since finishing 2nd play through so memory is a little fuzzy.

You usually get turned back to human if you lay your summon sign down for co op, doesn't always happen first time but most times it does which can be handy. I found the easiest boss in the game was at Earthen Peak, Medusa style boss and you will get summoned A LOT at that boss, just make sure before you lay your sign down to clear out nearby enemies to the boss door or you could be in for a world of hurt when you return to your world, even more so as upstairs and to the left there is a phantom there who can hand out loads of damage, there is a bonfire there though hidden behind a wall. Also, don't forget to burn the windmill blades that are beside the first bonfire or the Medusa boss will be in a poison pool which slows you down as well as poisoning you.

Prior to that there is also the dogs at The Lost Bastille, once again though before farming make sure to wear stuff that ups your luck, good area that you have to clear to get the Lost Sinners Key (or could be the Bastille skeleton type key, once again can't remember as it has been a while) has around 8 dogs and a phantom, you have to climb down a ladder from the top of the battlements so be careful.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread Information