• kopite's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Asus Maximus IV Gene-Z
      • CPU:
      • Intel Core i5 2500K
      • Memory:
      • 8GB DDR3 1600 MHz Corsair Memory Vengeance Black
      • Storage:
      • 128GB Crucial m4 for main drive. 3.5 TB of storage space over western Digital Drives
      • Graphics card(s):
      • Gigabyte NVIDIA GTX 970 G1 Gaming Edition
      • PSU:
      • 750W ANTEC TRUEPOWER
      • Case:
      • Silverstone Fortress FT03
      • Operating System:
      • Windows 10
      • Monitor(s):
      • 1 x 27 inch dell Monitor 1 x 20 inch Dell monitor
      • Internet:
      • Virgin media 150MB

Dark Souls Questions

Hey all,

I bought Dark souls when it first came out but put a couple of hours in and then kind of hit a bit of a wall(really early on like even before the dragon and boss on the wall.

Now that the sequel is out I've decided to give it another go but just wanted to a bit of advice.

First up is it worth farming for souls or is it better to just get stuck in?

Should I spend souls on Levelling up or buying stuff from the merchant?

Is the wanderer a good class to play?

THanks in Advance

Thanks
    • Ferral's system
      • Motherboard:
      • ASUS Z97-P
      • CPU:
      • Intel i7 4790K Haswell
      • Memory:
      • 12Gb Corsair XMS3 DDR3 1600 Mhz
      • Storage:
      • 120Gb Kingston SSD & 2 Tb Toshiba
      • Graphics card(s):
      • Sapphire Radeon R9 380 Nitro 4Gb
      • PSU:
      • Antec Truepower 750 Watt Modular
      • Case:
      • Fractal Design Focus G Mid Tower
      • Operating System:
      • Windows 10 64 bit
      • Monitor(s):
      • 28" iiyama Prolite 4K
      • Internet:
      • 80Mb BT Fiber

Re: Dark Souls Questions

Best bet is to try and push forward, a level 1 character can actually go through the whole game start to finish, that is someone that knows the game in and out though! Farm souls say if you need to stock up on something, arrows getting low do a run through of an early easy bit to get souls to buy what you need.

However, you do need to level, standard enemies later in the game do get tougher and you want to maximise damage, not forgetting being able to wield better weapons and wear better armour. Once you get to Anor Londo for example you come across giant Sentinel Knights, Black Knights and lightning spear harpy type things, you need to be able to maximise damage and also take a hit if you get timing wrong.

As for class it doesn't really matter what you start with, I usually go for Hunter or Soldier, I up strength and dex so I can use bows effectively as well as swords and boards, once I start getting powerful with those weapons I usually start chucking levels into Faith, Attunement and Intelligence so I can also use a bit of magic or miracles if something gets a bit hairy as some spells have good range on them.

I would say have a think on how you want to play and build your character to those strengths, make sure you add points though to the stats that up stamina and health, sometimes you will get invaded by say a mage, they throw all their points into stats to make them extremely powerful but their health is low and they can't wear decent armour, if you as a warrior have a shield that blocks magics you can just get up to them and take them out with a few hits. So effectively they have created a glass cannon.

I always try to play it safe, I like using range to draw enemies out in singles or smaller groups to make things a bit more manageable, I also always try to summon help for bosses on the Dark Souls games, I end up getting mullied otherwise, mind you on the first game I did manage to solo all the bosses after Ornstein and Smough so it is doable, main thing is work out a tactic and then use it, may take a few attempts but not to bad once you know their attack patterns.

Demons Souls on the other hand I can actually get through the entire game without summoning anyone, plays a bit different though and you can use the environment / equipment to your advantage. For example on NG++ I killed Flamelurker without him ever moving, snuck round the right side of the arena wearing the Rats Ring (Think its called that, makes enemies less aware of you) moved onto the steps at the back and Flamelurker is stood in front of you, I then just stood for 10 minutes casting poison cloud and took him out, he didn't move an inch, you can also do the same with the final boss!

3. Received thanks from:

kopite (29-04-2014)

Thanks
    • kopite's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Asus Maximus IV Gene-Z
      • CPU:
      • Intel Core i5 2500K
      • Memory:
      • 8GB DDR3 1600 MHz Corsair Memory Vengeance Black
      • Storage:
      • 128GB Crucial m4 for main drive. 3.5 TB of storage space over western Digital Drives
      • Graphics card(s):
      • Gigabyte NVIDIA GTX 970 G1 Gaming Edition
      • PSU:
      • 750W ANTEC TRUEPOWER
      • Case:
      • Silverstone Fortress FT03
      • Operating System:
      • Windows 10
      • Monitor(s):
      • 1 x 27 inch dell Monitor 1 x 20 inch Dell monitor
      • Internet:
      • Virgin media 150MB

Thanks for the advice

I'm playing through on xbox and I dont have gold so I'm guessing the summoning stuff wont be available for me.ß

Thanks
    • Ferral's system
      • Motherboard:
      • ASUS Z97-P
      • CPU:
      • Intel i7 4790K Haswell
      • Memory:
      • 12Gb Corsair XMS3 DDR3 1600 Mhz
      • Storage:
      • 120Gb Kingston SSD & 2 Tb Toshiba
      • Graphics card(s):
      • Sapphire Radeon R9 380 Nitro 4Gb
      • PSU:
      • Antec Truepower 750 Watt Modular
      • Case:
      • Fractal Design Focus G Mid Tower
      • Operating System:
      • Windows 10 64 bit
      • Monitor(s):
      • 28" iiyama Prolite 4K
      • Internet:
      • 80Mb BT Fiber

You will be able to summon NPC's like Solaire, just make sure you talk to him every time you see him and exhaust his dialogue

Thanks

I would suggest checking out some youtube videos as well. EpicNameBro does some good runs. His videos gave me some good ideas as to how to play the game, when I finally decided to go back and play dark souls last year. I gave up initially after I kept running into the Basilisk and getting cursed, and not being able to proceed further.

Thread Information