Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Popular and perfectly good games you can't get into..

Thanks
    • DanceswithUnix's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Asus X470-PRO
      • CPU:
      • 5900X
      • Memory:
      • 32GB 3200MHz ECC
      • Storage:
      • 2TB Linux, 2TB Games (Win 10)
      • Graphics card(s):
      • Asus Strix RX Vega 56
      • PSU:
      • 650W Corsair TX
      • Case:
      • Antec 300
      • Operating System:
      • Fedora 39 + Win 10 Pro 64 (yuk)
      • Monitor(s):
      • Benq XL2730Z 1440p + Iiyama 27" 1440p
      • Internet:
      • Zen 900Mb/900Mb (CityFibre FttP)

Re: Popular and perfectly good games you can't get into..

Quote Originally Posted by MacDragon View Post
    Same here, I backed the kickstarter as I loved Elite so much on my Amstrad CPC464. Just couldn't get on with the new one at all.

I'll add my vote for Zelda as well, tried it on N64, Gamecube, Wii, just cannot see what the fuss is about, people rave about it so much and every version seems exactly the same, it holds my attention for maybe 6-8 hours then meh.
    I can't play Elite with mouse + keyboard. I tried with gamepad and it was almost playable. I think without a HOTAS stick it just isn't enjoyable. That seems odd, I played the BBC Micro version to Elite status on keyboard and most of the way there on Atari ST with its solid shaded ships, woot!

Still, for me:

Gran Tourismo 5 on the PS/3, I really gave it a go as I wanted something as much fun as the old Dreamcast MSR game. I nearly bought a steering wheel for it but decided that for me it just wasn't enjoyable and I shouldn't waste further time and money on it. Mario Kart has better handling dynamics and frankly is about as realistic.

Candy Crush saga held my attention for a few hours, but I can't see how people plough so much time and money into it.

Herr Doktor Oetker, ja!!! pollaxe's Avatar
    Thanks

I backed the Kickstarter for Elite: Dangerous, too. I played the original game with almost religious fervour when I was a nipper.

I tried it on release with mouse and keyboard (which is how I played Elite) and struggled. Then I spotted a HOTAS joystick on offer so I ordered that, tried it and ended up with chronic hand-ache, spitting with frustration as I flailed uselessly around in space like an empty sock puppet.

I think I have a bit of a mental block with it because of all the time I sank into playing Elite in my teens; I just don't have the freedom (or interest) now that I'm an old git of forty-three.

Registered+
    Thanks

I could never play the Assassin's Creed story but I found the multi-player to be quite enjoyable. That is until the servers died and now they can hardly find anyone or even put my whole party into the same game.

Thanks
    • big_hairy_rob's system
      • Motherboard:
      • ASUS Z170-A
      • CPU:
      • Intel I5 6600k
      • Memory:
      • 16GB DDR4 Corsair Vengence (3000mhz)
      • Storage:
      • Samsung 850 500GB, WD Blue 1TB
      • Graphics card(s):
      • MSI Radeon R9 275
      • PSU:
      • EVGA 550W (80 plus Gold)
      • Case:
      • Fractal Design S (Windowed)
      • Operating System:
      • Windows 10 64.
      • Monitor(s):
      • Iiyama ProLite E24B3HS 24", LG Flatron L1950SQ19"
      • Internet:
      • Plusnet (infinity)

Call of Duty.
    Final Fantasy.
    Starcraft 2.
    Halo.
    Gears of War.
    Guild Wars.
    The Sims.

Registered+
    Thanks

i really couldnt get into l4d2 or killing floor maybe cos i dont have freinds xD

Registered+
    Thanks

Any single player game really, ever since I played multiplayer games, I jsut cant seem to paly against ai

Thanks
    • Lucio's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Gigabyte GA-970A-UD3P
      • CPU:
      • AMD FX-6350 with Cooler Master Seldon 240
      • Memory:
      • 2x4GB Corsair DDR3 Vengeance
      • Storage:
      • 128GB Toshiba, 2.5" SSD, 1TB WD Blue WD10EZEX, 500GB Seagate Baracuda 7200.11
      • Graphics card(s):
      • Sapphire R9 270X 4GB
      • PSU:
      • 600W Silverstone Strider SST-ST60F
      • Case:
      • Cooler Master HAF XB
      • Operating System:
      • Windows 8.1 64Bit
      • Monitor(s):
      • Samsung 2032BW, 1680 x 1050
      • Internet:
      • 16Mb Plusnet

Total War - Tried to get into it but after 60 hours of gameplay in Total Wars Rome II, I feel like I'm still at the start of the game, having achieved nothing. Each turn I click, random stuff happens and my people go from massively happy to massively upset or back again without me actually doing anything, and the battles are all just a variation on "run your units towards the enemy"

(\___/) (\___/) (\___/) (\___/) (\___/) (\___/) (\___/)
    (='.'=) (='.'=) (='.'=) (='.'=) (='.'=) (='.'=) (='.'=)
    (")_(") (")_(") (")_(") (")_(") (")_(") (")_(") (")_(")

This is bunny and friends. He is fed up waiting for everyone to help him out, and decided to help himself instead!

Yay a custom user title! =assassin='s Avatar
    Thanks

I was never a fan of the first Assassins Creed, since I found it incredibly tedious to do the same motions over and over several times, plus the combat didn't seem that good on PC. As such, I never bought any of the sequels. I've played The latest one at a friends house on the PS4 and the combat does seems quite fun now, and the graphics look great, however, an hour and a half doesn't give a real picture of the full game. Another game I never liked much was Doom3, I also found it very dull, and after playing about two thirds of the game, I gave up, never to play again. The same goes for Metro 2033, I was actually finding it okay, but not amazing, but I soon got bored of it, and when another game went on sale on Steam, I decided to start that instead, and never went back to Metro. Batman: Arkham Asylum is another game I never completed, but that was after getting stuck in a boss battle and finding it impossible to complete with PC controls. I wasn't all that enthralled about the game, finding the combat to be basically button-mashing, so I didn't bother trying again. I normally complete every game I get, and have probably played 150 other games to completion over the past 16 years, so it is rare indeed for me not to finish, and a sign that I'm really not impressed.

k-c
    Registered+
    Thanks
    • k-c's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Asus Z170I Pro Gaming
      • CPU:
      • i7-6700K
      • Memory:
      • 16GB (2x8) Corsair Vengeance DDR4 3000
      • Storage:
      • 256GB SSD, 2TB HDD
      • Graphics card(s):
      • EVGA SSC GTX 970
      • PSU:
      • EVGA Supernova G2 650W
      • Case:
      • White Corsair Carbide Air 240

For some reason I could never get into Elder Scrolls: Oblivion when that came out, but I ended up buying and enjoying Skyrim after a friend convinced me to try his first. It did take me a while to get over the whole 'single-player MMORPG' feeling - almost felt a bit lonely and empty, but it was worth it.

I also couldn't really get into Bioshock.

Registered+
    Thanks

Metal Gear Solid and Skyrim, not a big fan of Fallouts either.

Registered+
    Thanks

The assassin's creed series. There just too many of them for me to begin now

Registered+
    Thanks

I was never all that keen on dark souls, but loads of my mates love it

Thanks
    • iranu's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Asus Maximus Gene VI
      • CPU:
      • 4670K @4.3Ghz
      • Memory:
      • 8Gb Samsung Green
      • Storage:
      • 1x 256Gb Samsung 830 SSD 2x640gb HGST raid 0
      • Graphics card(s):
      • MSI R9 390
      • PSU:
      • Corsair HX620W Modular
      • Case:
      • Cooler Master Silencio 352
      • Operating System:
      • Win 7 ultimate 64 bit
      • Monitor(s):
      • 23" DELL Ultrasharp U2312HM
      • Internet:
      • 16mb broadband

Skyrim - hated the menu system and just forgot about it. Mass Effect - the 3rd person view is always a turn off, but what clinched it was the never ending conversations when meeting people. Aaaaargh, I don't care anymore: A, A, A, A , A, A, A, A, A, A , A, A. Yeah, whatever, let me do stuff!

Got bored of Bioshock Infinite after playing 90% of it. Crysis 1/2 due to fiddling around with the hud. I'm almost feeling that with Fallout 4. Heresy! I'll persevere because I know the feel of the game having played the earlier series, however, I'd like a bit more customisation options to operate the Pip Boy. There's probably a patch or mod out now that may help.

Doom 3 was the worst. 20 minutes of wandering around in the dark dying isn't my idea of fun so it got canned.

Lots here didn't get into Metro 2033, but I loved it. Ditto Borderlands, played it first in Co-Op on the X-box and then did a solo run on the PC. Horses for courses and all that.
    "Reality is what it is, not what you want it to be." Frank Zappa. ----------- "The invisible and the non-existent look very much alike." Huang Po.----------- "A drowsy line of wasted time bathes my open mind", - Ride.

Registered+
    Thanks

Agree with a lot of whats listed on here.

I only really have patience for games like Shadowrun Returns and others where I can create my own character and follow a story. Dark Souls 2 has held my interest longer than anything else for years.

Dont really care about the new MGS much;
    Sims is terrible;
    Shooters like Bioshock/Borderlands/Far Cry are completely boring on singleplayer.

Registered+
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Ttaskmaster View Post
    EVE: Online.
    Hate, hate, hate.
    Awesome graphics with excellent character creation/animation, yet nothing to then do but walk around your space-hotel room. Pretty space stuff, but then just click-click-click your way around the galaxy. Combat exists, yet it's nothing but click-and-hope to see if you win. No flight control, no skill, just dice rolls and spreadsheets. No idea why people think it's better than Elite/StarCit/Freelancer/NoMans/etc...
    I'm late to the thread but i kind of agree, I found Eve to be WAY too passive in it's approach; with a clunky menu-driven system as well. I dislike the fact that there is little to no direct control to your ship. I prefer games similar to Freelancer, Rebel Galaxy, Space Empires: Starfury... etc

Another game on my list is Mass Effect; once you get the "freedom" to explore the planets and see if they have artifacts i have had little to no motivation to play that game. Other than that there's also the stupid dialogue wheel which dumbed down dialogue options and ruined a lot for classic RPGs. Funny, back then people said it was a slippery slope and the only counter-argument people had is that it's a fallacy. Now look at what became of Fallout 4.

Maybe i just can't be bothered with 'open world' games anymore...
    Last edited by Waswat; 18-12-2015 at 08:40 PM.

Thanks

Totally agree with what's been said above about Mass Effect. I tried again and again to get into it, because it seemed so popular and apparently won awards, but gave up in the end. I think if it had been an FPS with less dialogue I might have persevered.

Assassin's Creed (the pirate one, can't remember the proper name), gave up on this one too. I couldn't get the hang of the combat, which was a shame because the graphics are great.

Guild Wars 2. I was totally and utterly addicted to Guild Wars. It consumed my life for years and I still play it from time to time. So I was really disappointed in Guild Wars 2. I can't put my finger on exactly what left me so cold about GW2 but I gave up playing after about a month back in 2012 when it was released, and haven't been back to it.
    Last edited by Ceefer; 23-12-2015 at 11:34 AM. Reason: Additional info
    Intel Core 2 Duo E8400 Socket 775 (3.0GHz), stock cooler, Gigabyte GA-EP43-S3L iP43 Socket 775, OCZ 4GB (2x2GB) DDR2 1066MHz/PC2-8500 Gold Memory, PowerColor HD 4870 1GB GDDR5 Dual DVI HDTV Out PCI-E Graphics Card, Seagate 1TB Hard Drive SATAII 7200rpm 32MB Cache, Arctic Power 500W PSU, Hann-G 19" widescreen
    Kitchen Table Browser: Dell XPS M1330 laptop
    On the Road: Alienware M14X laptop

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread Information