Thread: SLR Cameras

Thanks

SLR Cameras

Got to play with an SLR camera at work today, and what can I say, the whole turn the lens to focus/zoom feels so natural . So I'm interested in getting one. Can anyone give me a brief explanation of the features offered? ie, what does 30-80 mean on the side of the lens, the f. numbers etc?

Thanks

Thanks
    I'm not going to explain all the terms for you, but I'm going mention them so that you can go and find out more.

The 30-80 on the side of the lens is the zoom width of the zoom lens. 30 is considered a relatively wide angle (but not real 'wide angle' lens) and 80 is kinda like a moderate zoom. The f figures is the focal length.

The important things you need to know about SLR camera is what kind of camera you're hoping to get. You can spend anything from £50 up to £3,000 just for the body. Depending on how hardcore you want to be, you can get yourself a 2nd hand manual SLR body relatively cheap - no many people actually want them these days. Getting lenses for manual bodies may not be as easy as AF (auto focus) because of the lack of new parts. Manual is great if you want to know more about photography and the more advance techniques which the AFs tend to hide from you.

For AF cameras, you have a whole range of bodies to choose from - from the el cheapo glorified box (ie. everything is auto and nothing can be manually adjusted) to the super-duper professional rig (which everything is auto and everything can be manually changed).

Another thing is a choice of lenses. I'd recommend you pick a couple - one zoom (say, a 70-210mm) and a fix focus (say, a 28mm). They should cover you for most situations. Of course, you can splash out on a 400mm telephoto monster bazooka, but you may not want to blow that kind of money in the beginning. It all depends on what kind of photography you want to get into - sports, scenary, portraits, etc... Different horses for different courses...

Let me know if you want to know more...
    Caution: Cape does not enable user to fly. - Batman costume warning label (Rolfe, John & Troob, Peter, Monkey Business (Swinging Through the Wall Street Jungle), 2000)

only the finest beef
    Thanks
    I've got a Canon EOS that's quite good for what I use it for; it'll do everything automatically if Iwant it to. If I want o play thugh I can change pretty much everything.

I've got a 28-70mm lens and a 50mm lens, to be honest the telephoto lens (the one that zooms in and out) never leaves the camera.

I still prefer film to digi; but then I guess I'm kinda old fashioned like that

I'd get yourself a beginners guide to photography; there's a lot of them out there so you can learn the basics which are pretty much unchanged for the last 50 years. Then all you need to do is go and play wand experiment with your new toy

Admin (Ret'd)
    Thanks
    [pimp-mode]

www.digi-darkroom.com

[/pimp mode]

Digital or film SLR?

For 35mm film, a 50mm gives about the same range of view as the human eye, so it is regarded as 'standard' view. If the number is higher than that, it has the effect of making you seem closer. It magnifies the view, a bit like looking through a pair of binoculars or a telescope, hence the name "telephoto". So, for something like wildlife photography, you probably want a decent telephoto lens - like 300mm - or more.

If the number is smaller than that, then the angle that the camera can 'see' is wider than that ofthe human eye. It a bit like seeing properly out of the sides of your eyes as well as straight ahead. The main use (though there are many) is for landscape photos where you want a nice wide vista. These are "wide-angle" lenses.

If you see a lens where there are a range of numbers, then the lens can zoom from one end of therange to the other, i.e. 28-80mm gives moderate wide-angle to mild zoom. 50-500mm gives standard view to high-power telephoto.

The F numbers represent the maximum aperture of the lens. To get proper exposure, you need the right amount of light to hit the film (or CCD sensor in a digital camera). There are various aspects to this, but the most common two are shutter speed and aperture. The faster the shutter speed, the less light will get in. Similarly, a camera has a sort-of iris arrangement built in the lens. This can be opened or closed and the result determines the amount of light you let in. It also changes depth of field but that's another issue.

The number actually refers to the MAXIMUM aperture the lens can handle. The smaller the number, the larger the aperture. i.e. F2.8 is a larger aperture than F8 which, in turn, is larger than F22.

The larger the maximum aperture, the more light you can let in for a given shutter speed and, therefore, the less light you need available to get a decent picture. Unfortunately, large apertures also make decent optics MUCH harder to make, and therefore they are commensurately more expensive. You get what you pay for, especially for telephotos. A 75-300mm ZOOM lens with an F5.6 maximum aperture might cost you £150-£200 (mine cost me >£500). An F2.8 300mm 'prime' (i.e. fixed focal length, not zoom) might cost you £4000. Don't ask what a decent quality 1200mm lens costs, but start thinking "small house" type money - I kid you not.

As for SLR features, yikes, that's a whole book Motordrives, automatic flash-exposure compensation, second-curtain synchronisation, auto-expsoure bracketing, depth of field preview, eye-controlled autofocus, and so on.

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by spikegifted
    I'm not going to explain all the terms for you, but I'm going mention them so that you can go and find out more.

The 30-80 on the side of the lens is the zoom width of the zoom lens. 30 is considered a relatively wide angle (but not real 'wide angle' lens) and 80 is kinda like a moderate zoom. The f figures is the focal length.
    <snip>
    Let me know if you want to know more...
    Actually you got it backwards
    30-80 is the focal length, and F stops are the aperture size

Thanks
    • floppybootstomp's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Asus P8Z68-V Pro
      • CPU:
      • i7 Sandybridge Quad Core 3.4Ghz
      • Memory:
      • 8Gb DDR3
      • Storage:
      • Corsair 128Gb SSD; 1Tb for games; 500Gb for data
      • Graphics card(s):
      • EVGA Nvidia 1Gb GTX 560
      • PSU:
      • Corsair Modular 620W
      • Case:
      • Antech 900 Gamers Case
      • Operating System:
      • Win 7 Home Premium 64 Bit
      • Monitor(s):
      • Ben Q EW2730V 27"
      • Internet:
      • Zen as ISP; Linksys Wireless Router; 4 machine network
    True about the older models being sought after. Ten years ago you couldn't give 'em away, now they're demanding very fair prices.

If you can get your hands on an old pentax manual SLR or something like an early 70's Nikon F, they take extremely good pictures. But it may take a few reels of film to learn how to use the manual settings properly.

Once you feel comfortable and get to know your camera, however, making the adjustments becomes second nature.

I assume we're talking about 35mm film cameras here and not digital? If not, then some of the SLR digital models out there now are quite fantastic, although a little pricey.

Sublime HEXUS.net
    Thanks
    • Stoo's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Mac Pro
      • CPU:
      • 2*Xeon 5450 @ 2.8GHz, 12MB Cache
      • Memory:
      • 32GB 1600MHz FBDIMM
      • Storage:
      • ~ 2.5TB + 4TB external array
      • Graphics card(s):
      • ATI Radeon HD 4870
      • Case:
      • Mac Pro
      • Operating System:
      • OS X 10.7
      • Monitor(s):
      • 24" Samsung 244T Black
      • Internet:
      • Zen Max Pro
    Having said that, Canon have released a very nice 6MP SLR for under £1000, if you're planning a holiday to the states or know a friend etc, I've seen them for $780, which given the current exchange rate works out at a a smidge over £400, which is a complete and utter bargain, even if you do have to pay VAT on top when you get it back over here
    (\__/)
    (='.'=)
    (")_(")

Photographer; for hire!! shiato storm's Avatar
    Thanks
    there is no doubt that SLRs give better quality images than compcts but its a mix of money and experience for choosing the right camera...there are so many out there its hard to pick just one off the shelf and say 'this is the one for me'. there's also the question of 35mm or digital, or if your into it in a big way, have lots of cash to throw around and can afford to cock-up lots as you learn go for medium format where quality and size are greater than 35mm, and digital to some extent.
    and, as with many things, you pay for the name; a nikon with comparable parts and functions almost always costs more than, say, a minolta. but that doesn't mean it takes better pictures. you decide that.
    i'm currently loking into photography in a big way at the mo and i'm buggered by all the choices out there, all appear as good as the next only differing in price, but what go for?

as a rule go for the BEST optics you can afford (lenses) as these are the important quality defining parts, after all photography is about light and the better quality that gets to the film the better your pictures. after that its up to you to find a model that suits your needs. some makes use plastic in their cheap models to make the body (canon) which is lighter than metal (pentax) but obviously not as robust. if you are wanting to give it a go I can recommend 2nd hand cameras are your best bet and work up from there. I own an olympus om4 which I started on, and I get pictures in magasines etc - it was 2nd hand and its a very robust camera (it would have to be to survive the beating I give it!!).
    make sure you have a light meter in the camera...again, you're buggered without.

if you digital - expect to pay through the nose for an SLR, i'm personally not keen on them but the technology is getting much better with, i think, 10Mp as the best now (don't quote me on that).

anyway, shop around, think about what you'd use it for and have fun
    Powered by Marmite and Wet Dog
    Light Over Water Photography

Don't feed the trolls... tiggerai's Avatar
    Thanks
    • tiggerai's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Gigabyte MA770T-UD3P
      • CPU:
      • AMD PhenomII 955BE
      • Memory:
      • 4Gb Corsair XMS DDR3
      • Storage:
      • Lots
      • Graphics card(s):
      • Sapphire X1950XT
      • PSU:
      • Hiper Type-R 550w
      • Case:
      • Antec lovely black thing
      • Operating System:
      • Windows 7
      • Monitor(s):
      • 2x 20" widescreen
      • Internet:
      • Pipexpants
    I've got a canon EOS rebel... Fantastic little camera!

takes some lovely pictures. My parents have the higher spec one, but love them too.

sdp
    Thanks
    My dads got a pretty budget Nikon slr, I think he paid around 180 for it with a 30-80 zoom lens and you really cant take a bad picture with it, even with cheapfilm. As Shiato said, the money needs to go on the lenses.

It's definately worth getting a library book or two out.
    Mini!!!!!

Photographer; for hire!! shiato storm's Avatar
    Thanks
    yup, the little canons are very good for what you get out of them.