Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 16 of 18

Thread: Climbing Everest? Smoke A Ciggie.

  1. #1
    Banned
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Posts
    61
    Thanks
    0
    Thanked
    14 times in 7 posts

    Climbing Everest? Smoke A Ciggie.

    So apparently if you are a smoker, it's easier to deal with the lack of oxygen at the top of a big mountain, because they are used to the lack of air. So someone who trains and works out, but also smokes, will have an easier time of things half way up Thingymanjaro, than a fit, non smoking peep.

    True?

  2. #2
    Flat cap, Whippets, Cave. Clunk's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Posts
    11,056
    Thanks
    360
    Thanked
    725 times in 459 posts

    Re: Climbing Everest? Smoke A Ciggie.

    Paint huffers ftw.
    Quote Originally Posted by Blitzen View Post
    stupid betond belief.
    You owe it to yourself to click here really.

  3. #3
    Senior Member Lanky123's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Location
    Oxford
    Posts
    794
    Thanks
    74
    Thanked
    94 times in 72 posts
    • Lanky123's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Gigabyte GA-H81M-D2V
      • CPU:
      • Core i5 4570
      • Memory:
      • 2 x 4GB Vengeance LP
      • Storage:
      • 250GB Samsung 840 EVO SSD + 2TB HDD + 3TB Synology DS216SE
      • Graphics card(s):
      • MSI Radeon R9 270X HAWK
      • PSU:
      • Silverstone Strider 400W
      • Case:
      • Silverstone Sugo SG02B-F
      • Operating System:
      • Windows 8.1 / Ubuntu 16.04
      • Monitor(s):
      • Dell U2212HM 1920x1080
      • Internet:
      • Virgin 50Mbit/s

    Re: Climbing Everest? Smoke A Ciggie.

    Link to a source not sponsored by a tobacco group?
    If you have been affected by this program on nuclear weapons and would like to learn more, please press your red button now.

  4. #4
    Banned
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Posts
    61
    Thanks
    0
    Thanked
    14 times in 7 posts

    Re: Climbing Everest? Smoke A Ciggie.

    I heard it on the One Show.

    What more proof do you need, ma fizzlin?

  5. #5
    Senior Member Hicks12's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Location
    Plymouth-SouthWest
    Posts
    6,543
    Thanks
    1,066
    Thanked
    325 times in 283 posts
    • Hicks12's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Asus P8Z68-V
      • CPU:
      • Intel i5 2500k@4ghz, cooled by EK Supreme HF
      • Memory:
      • 8GB Kingston hyperX ddr3 PC3-12800 1600mhz
      • Storage:
      • 64GB M4/128GB M4 / WD 640GB AAKS / 1TB Samsung F3
      • Graphics card(s):
      • Palit GTX460 @ 900Mhz Core
      • PSU:
      • 675W ThermalTake ThoughPower XT
      • Case:
      • Lian Li PC-A70 with modded top for 360mm rad
      • Operating System:
      • Windows 7 Professional 64bit
      • Monitor(s):
      • Dell U2311H IPS
      • Internet:
      • 10mb/s cable from virgin media

    Re: Climbing Everest? Smoke A Ciggie.

    but if you think about it, it works the otherway around to. The non smoker can take more oxygen in which will mean its easier than having half the capacity, there should be enough oxygen to show this afaik. A smoker probably will be out of breath at the bottom then if you used their theory.
    Quote Originally Posted by snootyjim View Post
    Trust me, go into any local club and shout "I've got dual Nehalem Xeons" and all of the girls will practically collapse on the spot at the thought of your e-penis

  6. #6
    Hexus.trombonist
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Posts
    742
    Thanks
    72
    Thanked
    44 times in 36 posts
    • Powderhound's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Asus P5Q-E
      • CPU:
      • Intel Core 2 Quad Q9450 2.66GHz under a Xigmatek HDT-S1283
      • Memory:
      • 4GB OCZ Reaper HPC 1066MHz
      • Storage:
      • 750GB Samsung Spinpoint F1
      • Graphics card(s):
      • Powercolor ATI Radeon HD 4850
      • PSU:
      • Corsair TX650W
      • Case:
      • Antec P182
      • Operating System:
      • Windows Vista Home Premium, Ubuntu 8.10
      • Monitor(s):
      • Samsung T220 22"
      • Internet:
      • Plus.net Broadband Your Way Option 2

    Re: Climbing Everest? Smoke A Ciggie.

    Quote Originally Posted by Hicks12 View Post
    but if you think about it, it works the otherway around to. The non smoker can take more oxygen in which will mean its easier than having half the capacity, there should be enough oxygen to show this afaik. A smoker probably will be out of breath at the bottom then if you used their theory.
    My thinking exactly. Both people will experience the same percentage decrease from their usual oxygen intake.

  7. #7
    Hexus.Communism GoNz0's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2006
    Location
    Derby
    Posts
    10,618
    Thanks
    586
    Thanked
    1,131 times in 897 posts
    • GoNz0's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Asus Rampage V Extreme
      • CPU:
      • i7 5930k
      • Memory:
      • 16gb GSkill
      • Storage:
      • 4 SSD's + WD Red
      • Graphics card(s):
      • GTX980 Strix WC
      • PSU:
      • Enermax Galaxy 1250
      • Case:
      • Corsair 800D
      • Operating System:
      • win8 64bit
      • Monitor(s):
      • Dell 24"
      • Internet:
      • 160mb Cable

    Re: Climbing Everest? Smoke A Ciggie.

    radio 1 DJ chris moyals went along with the other red nose day climbers and came out top of the altitude test due to his smoking.

  8. #8
    WEEEEEEEEEEEEE! MadduckUK's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Location
    Lytham St. Annes
    Posts
    17,294
    Thanks
    648
    Thanked
    1,580 times in 1,006 posts
    • MadduckUK's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Asus A88XM-PLUS
      • CPU:
      • AMD 860K @4.45
      • Memory:
      • 16GB (4x4GB) PC3-12800
      • Storage:
      • 1x240GB Sandisk Extreme / 3x500GB RAID0 / 3GB Backup
      • Graphics card(s):
      • Radeon 7870XT
      • PSU:
      • Corsair TX750w
      • Case:
      • Cooler Master Galdiator 600
      • Operating System:
      • Windows 10 x64
      • Monitor(s):
      • DELL S2409W
      • Internet:
      • 3 One Plan

    Re: Climbing Everest? Smoke A Ciggie.

    kill a man for his giro
    Quote Originally Posted by Ephesians
    Do not be drunk with wine, which will ruin you, but be filled with the Spirit
    Vodka

  9. #9
    Flat cap, Whippets, Cave. Clunk's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Posts
    11,056
    Thanks
    360
    Thanked
    725 times in 459 posts

    Re: Climbing Everest? Smoke A Ciggie.

    You only fit double glazing once, so fit the best, Everest.
    Quote Originally Posted by Blitzen View Post
    stupid betond belief.
    You owe it to yourself to click here really.

  10. #10
    WEEEEEEEEEEEEE! MadduckUK's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Location
    Lytham St. Annes
    Posts
    17,294
    Thanks
    648
    Thanked
    1,580 times in 1,006 posts
    • MadduckUK's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Asus A88XM-PLUS
      • CPU:
      • AMD 860K @4.45
      • Memory:
      • 16GB (4x4GB) PC3-12800
      • Storage:
      • 1x240GB Sandisk Extreme / 3x500GB RAID0 / 3GB Backup
      • Graphics card(s):
      • Radeon 7870XT
      • PSU:
      • Corsair TX750w
      • Case:
      • Cooler Master Galdiator 600
      • Operating System:
      • Windows 10 x64
      • Monitor(s):
      • DELL S2409W
      • Internet:
      • 3 One Plan

    Re: Climbing Everest? Smoke A Ciggie.

    Quote Originally Posted by Clunk View Post
    You only fit double glazing once
    that's a poor career choice then
    Quote Originally Posted by Ephesians
    Do not be drunk with wine, which will ruin you, but be filled with the Spirit
    Vodka

  11. #11
    Efficiently lazy shadowmaster's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Location
    London
    Posts
    3,233
    Thanks
    397
    Thanked
    310 times in 208 posts
    • shadowmaster's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Gigabyte GA-890FXA-UD5
      • CPU:
      • AMD Phenom II X4 965 @ 3.6Ghz
      • Memory:
      • 4GB Corsair XMS3
      • Storage:
      • Kingston SSD V series 64GB + Samsung F3 1TB
      • Graphics card(s):
      • XFX 5870 1GB in Crossfire
      • PSU:
      • BeQuiet 1200W Dark Power Pro
      • Case:
      • Coolermaster Stacker 832 SE
      • Operating System:
      • Windows 7 Home Premium 64bit
      • Monitor(s):
      • 3 x BenQ G2222HDL 21.5inch 1080p
      • Internet:
      • BT Infinity 2

    Re: Climbing Everest? Smoke A Ciggie.

    Quote Originally Posted by AirCop View Post
    So apparently if you are a smoker, it's easier to deal with the lack of oxygen at the top of a big mountain, because they are used to the lack of air. So someone who trains and works out, but also smokes, will have an easier time of things half way up Thingymanjaro, than a fit, non smoking peep.

    True?
    If you smoked regularly, the following would happen

    1) Pulmonary function would decrease, which would reduce capability of your lungs (alveoli) to transfer o2 and co2 in and out of your blood respectively.

    2) This would probably mean that your body tissue would probably be used to surviving on low oxygen (chronic hypoxia) due to your smoking, so you would probably fare well at high altitudes where o2 is low.

    3) Also due to this chronic hypoxia, your haemoglobin or red cell mass concentration would increase in an attempt to compensate for the low o2 content of your blood. A higher haemoglobin concentration basically increases the capacity of bloody to carry oxygen, (smokers are found to have higher haemoglobin concentrations). This would make making it easier to acclimatise at higher altitudes.

    4) Also since smokers generally have higher co2 and 2-3 DPG content in their blood, the haemoglobin generally will have decreased affinity for o2 and therefore give it up easily to respiring tissues, thus once again making it easier to acclimatise at higher altitudes. (This factor would depend on whether you continued to smoke at high altitudes and how much you smoke)

    5) BUT since smoking increases your carbon monoxide content of your blood which can decrease the capacity of your bloody to carry oxygen which in turn will make you more tired. (This factor would depend on whether you continued to smoke at high altitudes and how much you smoke)

    Therefore generally at higher altitudes a smoker will initially and generally fare off better then a non smoker. But there are other factors involved, age, sex, fitness, genetics, diet, how many cigs your smoke, etc so its not clear cut as I've made out to be.

    And if any kids are reading this SMOKING IS BAD FOR YOU. We spend 99% of our lives at low altitude so smoking would be of no advantage. And if a smoker and and a non smoker spent a considerable amount of time in high altitudes, due to chronic hypoxia the red cell mass of both would increase considerably and since the non smoker should have better lungs the difference in both of them surviving at higher altitudes should even out.

  12. #12
    Flat cap, Whippets, Cave. Clunk's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Posts
    11,056
    Thanks
    360
    Thanked
    725 times in 459 posts

    Re: Climbing Everest? Smoke A Ciggie.

    Quote Originally Posted by MadduckUK View Post
    that's a poor career choice then
    It was for Ted Moult.
    Quote Originally Posted by Blitzen View Post
    stupid betond belief.
    You owe it to yourself to click here really.

  13. #13
    Lover & Fighter Blitzen's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Location
    Between Your Mum & Sister
    Posts
    6,310
    Thanks
    539
    Thanked
    382 times in 300 posts
    • Blitzen's system
      • Motherboard:
      • ABIT iX38 QuadGT
      • CPU:
      • Intel Quad Q6600 @ 3.6Ghz : 30 Degrees Idle - 41-46 Degrees Load
      • Memory:
      • 4 x 1GB OCZ Platinum PC6400 @ 4-4-4-12
      • Storage:
      • 2 x 500GB Samsung Spinpoints - RAID 0
      • Graphics card(s):
      • GTX 285
      • PSU:
      • Enermax MODU 82+ 625W
      • Case:
      • Antec Nine Hundred
      • Operating System:
      • Windows 7 Ultimate 64Bit
      • Monitor(s):
      • Viewsonic Q22wb 22" Widescreen - 5ms
      • Internet:
      • O2 premium @ 17mb

    Re: Climbing Everest? Smoke A Ciggie.

    Quote Originally Posted by Clunk View Post
    It was for Ted Moult.

    Kurt Cobain loved him so much he copied him.

  14. #14
    lazy student nvening's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Location
    London
    Posts
    4,656
    Thanks
    196
    Thanked
    31 times in 30 posts

    Re: Climbing Everest? Smoke A Ciggie.

    Im tempted to write into the BBC to complain about this piece of
    (\__/)
    (='.'=)
    (")_(")

  15. #15
    lazy student nvening's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Location
    London
    Posts
    4,656
    Thanks
    196
    Thanked
    31 times in 30 posts

    Re: Climbing Everest? Smoke A Ciggie.

    Quote Originally Posted by shadowmaster View Post
    If you smoked regularly, the following would happen

    1) Pulmonary function would decrease, which would reduce capability of your lungs (alveoli) to transfer o2 and co2 in and out of your blood respectively.

    2) This would probably mean that your body tissue would probably be used to surviving on low oxygen (chronic hypoxia) due to your smoking, so you would probably fare well at high altitudes where o2 is low.

    3) Also due to this chronic hypoxia, your haemoglobin or red cell mass concentration would increase in an attempt to compensate for the low o2 content of your blood. A higher haemoglobin concentration basically increases the capacity of bloody to carry oxygen, (smokers are found to have higher haemoglobin concentrations). This would make making it easier to acclimatise at higher altitudes.

    4) Also since smokers generally have higher co2 and 2-3 DPG content in their blood, the haemoglobin generally will have decreased affinity for o2 and therefore give it up easily to respiring tissues, thus once again making it easier to acclimatise at higher altitudes. (This factor would depend on whether you continued to smoke at high altitudes and how much you smoke)

    5) BUT since smoking increases your carbon monoxide content of your blood which can decrease the capacity of your bloody to carry oxygen which in turn will make you more tired. (This factor would depend on whether you continued to smoke at high altitudes and how much you smoke)

    Therefore generally at higher altitudes a smoker will initially and generally fare off better then a non smoker. But there are other factors involved, age, sex, fitness, genetics, diet, how many cigs your smoke, etc so its not clear cut as I've made out to be.

    And if any kids are reading this SMOKING IS BAD FOR YOU. We spend 99% of our lives at low altitude so smoking would be of no advantage. And if a smoker and and a non smoker spent a considerable amount of time in high altitudes, due to chronic hypoxia the red cell mass of both would increase considerably and since the non smoker should have better lungs the difference in both of them surviving at higher altitudes should even out.
    As a smokers body adapts to a lower cardiac output and the ammount CO bonded to the haemoglobin, in order for them to function normally at sea level, how does reducing the ammount of oxygen entering the lungs mean that the smokers adapted body is better suited to coping with this lower level of oxygen that the body of a non smoker? Unless the body of a smoker overcompensates for some reason?
    (\__/)
    (='.'=)
    (")_(")

  16. #16
    Efficiently lazy shadowmaster's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Location
    London
    Posts
    3,233
    Thanks
    397
    Thanked
    310 times in 208 posts
    • shadowmaster's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Gigabyte GA-890FXA-UD5
      • CPU:
      • AMD Phenom II X4 965 @ 3.6Ghz
      • Memory:
      • 4GB Corsair XMS3
      • Storage:
      • Kingston SSD V series 64GB + Samsung F3 1TB
      • Graphics card(s):
      • XFX 5870 1GB in Crossfire
      • PSU:
      • BeQuiet 1200W Dark Power Pro
      • Case:
      • Coolermaster Stacker 832 SE
      • Operating System:
      • Windows 7 Home Premium 64bit
      • Monitor(s):
      • 3 x BenQ G2222HDL 21.5inch 1080p
      • Internet:
      • BT Infinity 2

    Re: Climbing Everest? Smoke A Ciggie.

    Quote Originally Posted by nvening View Post
    As a smokers body adapts to a lower cardiac output and the ammount CO bonded to the haemoglobin, in order for them to function normally at sea level, how does reducing the ammount of oxygen entering the lungs mean that the smokers adapted body is better suited to coping with this lower level of oxygen that the body of a non smoker?
    Do smokers have a lower cardiac output?

    Anyhow I think I understand what you mean, there is some compensation in terms of haemoglobin production but I think the biggest reason is that their tissues are just used to lack of o2 which means they dont go all dizzy at high altitudes.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Similar Threads

  1. Climbing
    By Funkstar in forum Sports and Fitness
    Replies: 29
    Last Post: 04-12-2007, 11:06 AM
  2. Smoke, lots of smoke
    By Raz316 in forum PC Hardware and Components
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 17-10-2006, 07:32 PM
  3. Crisis Zone PS-2 Smoke...
    By retroborg in forum Gaming
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 13-01-2006, 01:59 PM
  4. what is up with my smoke alarm?
    By Pirate Pete in forum General Discussion
    Replies: 16
    Last Post: 21-08-2005, 02:11 PM
  5. AirZooka + Smoke machine = ownage :D
    By Lowe in forum General Discussion
    Replies: 22
    Last Post: 24-09-2003, 09:23 AM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •