Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Me and my future...

Rob
    Thanks
    Don't Siemens do any kind of sponsorship or Education Assistance/Day Release for appropriate qualifications? A lot of modern companies tend to nowadays, I know mine does. This way you can keep accruing your experience (and your position!) while gaining complementary quallies.

Failing that, as others have said, Open University. Check with your boss whether they might help towards it. Remember though, it must be something relevant to your job. I don't think they'd be to warm to you doing a degree in Klingon

HTH

Thanks
    As others have said you really need qualifications and experience. I know somone who worked for 10 years in an IT job with a large company. He had started straight from school and worked his way up to a very good position and salary. Then he was made redundant and has spent the last three years trying to get a decent job .

I think the Open University is a great idea as it allows you to do it partime and continue working . That way the cost is not such of an issue although you do miss the uni experience (IMO not that much of a loss).

Thanks
    • Stringent's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Intel DQ57TM
      • CPU:
      • Intel i5 760
      • Memory:
      • 8GB
      • Storage:
      • 1TB
      • Graphics card(s):
      • NVIDIA Geforce 260GTX
      • PSU:
      • Corsair HX620
      • Case:
      • Coolermaster Centurion
      • Operating System:
      • Microsoft Windows 7 Ultimate x64
      • Monitor(s):
      • Dual Iiyama 24"
      • Internet:
      • Patchy
    Quote Originally Posted by Knoxville
    I'm not doubting that its a great time, I hear this all the time but I'm not sure really what I'd be going for other than that as I don't really have a career in mind atm, mind you I've got another year of college yet before I have to decide.
    Well not pressuring you or anything! LOL! Actually I feel that the 'carrer' decision is made and pushed to early in life. Whether at college or Sixth Form in a school its always something which is made big of. Just knuckle down and get your college out the way. Whatever you decide Knox, I'm sure it will be good!

Thanks
    If I do get a degree, I will want to move away from home and live in halls. I think I might wait to see what the next year brings, whilst casually looking at Uni. I think I could learn well from my mates' mistakes.

^-- I'm with stupid --^
    Thanks
    Personally, going to UNI 'because everyone else does' is wrong...but, if everyone else is having a wicked time then i would also say why not join in to.

I think mate for u to do well and enjoy UNI ur gonna have to do sommit that really really appeals to u cos otherwise in my opinion ur the kind of person that may get a little bored of the whole routine. i would advise u look at courses from all sorts of places that would take u and see what takes ur fancy. Siemens is a good job with good prospects but i really see wher eur coming from when u say is it what u want to be doing forever!

Worry's about the debt r gonna happen, but if u wanted to go u out of everyone are in the best position to be able to save up loads of cash and have most of the issues surrounding debt covered....u'd also have a car which is a big plus.

I would say uve gotta give it a try if ur heart is saying u want to have a crack....its not like u'd be behind or way older than everyone, most of the people on my course are older than me....20 or 21 is a good age to go, if u find a 3 year degree u'll roll out at the same time as the rest of us pretty much.

Awwww...can't u just tell i have known him about 8 years and would be giving this exact advice down the pub next time i see him
    tom@meangasoline.co.uk | RIP Zoltan

Canon 350d | 50 F/1.8 Mk II | 70-200 F/4 L | 1Gb Sandisk Ultra III

Thanks
    • directhex's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Asus ROG Strix B550-I Gaming
      • CPU:
      • Ryzen 5900x
      • Memory:
      • 64GB G.Skill Trident Z RGB
      • Storage:
      • 2TB Seagate Firecuda 520
      • Graphics card(s):
      • EVGA GeForce RTX 3080 XC3 Ultra
      • PSU:
      • EVGA SuperNOVA 850W G3
      • Case:
      • NZXT H210i
      • Operating System:
      • Ubuntu 20.04, Windows 10
      • Monitor(s):
      • LG 34GN850
      • Internet:
      • FIOS
    2 years' experience & a degree will make you HIGHLY desireable on the job market, as compared to if you only have a degree. i know there are a fair few positions & brackets that demand a degree, though fair play on rising up the ranks properly.

i've finished my first week at my first post-graduation job, on 19.5k/year (entry level) working for oxford uni, and by the sound of it experience is a good thing in many roles, but is rinky in others - some applicants for my job were "experienced" in IT, knew nothing about the particular expertise i work in (supercomputing), and tried to sound all-knowledgeable (and somewhat risky for a production system) rather than admitting "i dunno, could do with a book on that"

experience is a GREAT help, and there are almost no graduate jobs open in IT that don't demand 3 years' industry experience, but you may find yourself limited by it if you rely solely upon it

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread Information