Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Peaches Geldof found dead. RIP

The late but legendary peterb - Onward and Upward peterb's Avatar
    Thanks

Re: Peaches Geldof found dead. RIP

Quote Originally Posted by Butcher View Post
    Heroin is a synthetic derivative of morphine, morphine itself naturally occurs in opium poppies. Also both are used in hospitals for similar purposes.
    Strictly speaking, both morphine and heroin are derived from opium, a naturally occurring substance in the opium poppy, (but I accept that more post was misleading)

The use of both is entirely legal, provided it is obtained on prescription and used under medical supervision.
    (\__/)
    (='.'=)
    (")_(")

Been helped or just 'Like' a post? Use the Thanks button!
    My broadband speed - 750 Meganibbles/minute

2. Received thanks from:

Pob255 (09-04-2014)

Thanks
    • Pob255's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Asus M5A99X EVO
      • CPU:
      • FX8350 & CM Hyper 212+
      • Memory:
      • 4 x 2gb Corsair Vengence 1600mhz cas9
      • Storage:
      • 512gb samsung SSD +1tb Samsung HDD
      • Graphics card(s):
      • EGVA GTX970
      • PSU:
      • Seasonic GX 650W
      • Case:
      • HAF 912+
      • Operating System:
      • W7 Pro
      • Monitor(s):
      • iiyama XB3270QS-B1 32" IPS 1440p

What we commonly call Opium is the dried sap from the Opium poppy and contains a bunch of alkaloid compounds including morphine and codeine.

Heroin was originally made when trying to convert morphine into codeine, through the use of organic acids and solvents.
    The human body metabolises the heroin into a readably metabolic form of morphine, which is where it's dangers lie so to speak and the reason it's generally perceived as more dangerous, it's both absorbed and metabolised more quickly, so the same level of dose "comes on" faster, has a stronger reaction and more quickly fades.

This in turn leads to some of the addictive properties of heroin being greater than those of morphine

4. Received thanks from:

peterb (09-04-2014)

Thanks
    • Platinum's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Asus X99 Deluxue
      • CPU:
      • Core i7 5930k @ 4GHz
      • Memory:
      • 32gb Crucial 2400MHz
      • Storage:
      • 256gb Samsung SP941, 1tb MX500 Crucial SSD, 240gb Intel 730 SSD
      • Graphics card(s):
      • Sapphire R9 Fury OC
      • PSU:
      • 750 Watt Corsair HX
      • Case:
      • Corsiar 750D
      • Operating System:
      • Windows 10 Pro
      • Monitor(s):
      • Dell 2408WFP
      • Internet:
      • 18Mb

I hardly knew her...
    Salazaar : <Touching wood as I write this...>

Thanks

I'm not sure I would do something because 'they do it on Game of Thrones', otherwise all I'd be doing would be sitting around eating pork, chopping some heads off and entertaining dirty women

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by TheAnimus View Post
    Man, another reminder that despite being born into a wealthy situation, addiction is a horrific illness that robs people of everything until it finally takes their life.
    will be the first to say `you called it`.

so apologise from me

https://uk.news.yahoo.com/peaches-ge...4.html#Ao4vZvc

Seething Cauldron of Hatred TheAnimus's Avatar
    Thanks

There is no pride in such a thing. Sadly, it was such an inevitability, given her publicly documented struggles and no resolution to any of them.

The sad thing is on paper she would appear to have had everything, born into a wealthy, easy situation.
    throw new ArgumentException (String, String, Exception)

Formerly known as Andehh Andeh13's Avatar
    Thanks
    • Andeh13's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Gigabyte GA-P35
      • CPU:
      • Intel Q6600
      • Memory:
      • 4gb Corsair XMS2 800mhz
      • Storage:
      • 1 x 250gb Western Digital AAKS, 2 x 500gb Western Digital AAKS, 1TB WD Caviar Green
      • Graphics card(s):
      • BFG Geforce 8800GTS 512mb
      • PSU:
      • Corsair HX520
      • Case:
      • Antec 900
      • Operating System:
      • Windows 7 64bit
      • Monitor(s):
      • Samsung 24" & Sony 17"
      • Internet:
      • Virgin 10mb... hate them!

Stupid selfish girl, such a young family and the money & family lessons (tragedies) to set them up for life, and instead she leaves them this legacy. The news makes it sound like she had the 11 month old there with her at the time.

Seething Cauldron of Hatred TheAnimus's Avatar
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Andehh View Post
    Stupid selfish girl, such a young family and the money & family lessons (tragedies) to set them up for life, and instead she leaves them this legacy. The news makes it sound like she had the 11 month old there with her at the time.
    If she had cancer, you wouldn't say it was stupid or selfish that she had succumbed to the illness and died.

This is the issue with mental health problems and addiction in general, it makes people act in a completely selfish manner. She clearly had issues which were unresolved, and found solace and help in the end of a needle.
    throw new ArgumentException (String, String, Exception)

Account closed at user request
    Thanks
    • wasabi's system
      • Motherboard:
      • MSI B85M-G43
      • CPU:
      • i3-4130
      • Memory:
      • 8 gig DDR3 Crucial Rendition 1333 - cheap!
      • Storage:
      • 128 gig Agility 3, 240GB Corsair Force 3
      • Graphics card(s):
      • Zotac GTX 750Ti
      • PSU:
      • Silver Power SP-S460FL
      • Case:
      • Lian Li T60 testbanch
      • Operating System:
      • Win7 64bit
      • Monitor(s):
      • First F301GD Live
      • Internet:
      • Virgin cable 100 meg

If she had cancer, you wouldn't say it was stupid or selfish that she had succumbed to the illness and died.

This is the issue with mental health problems and addiction in general, it makes people act in a completely selfish manner. She clearly had issues which were unresolved, and found solace and help in the end of a needle.
    I don't buy the addiction as an 'illness' idea. To me it is insulting to the genuinely ill. Sorry for those around her, and that she took this way out, but the responsibility for this path is her own lifestyle choice.

Thanks

she MADE the CHOICE to inject drugs. and the small edetial she did it with her CHILD next to her makes her as bad as jimmy Saville. (IMO) emotional child abuse is just as `bad` as sexual and physical.

Admin (Ret'd)
    Thanks

Bear in mind, first, we still haven't had the full inquest. Second, there's an on-going police investigation.

Third, we know there was heroin in her system, but we don't know when, or how, it got there. Injected? Maybe. Or smoked, perhaps. Either way, apparently, no drug paraphernalia were found in the house. So either someone removed it, and reportedly police found no evidence of third-party involvement, or she took drugs elsewhere, so her son may well not have had emotional abuse from seeing an injection.

Fourth, we don't yet know what killed her, and may never know. Preliminary tests aren't conclusive. Heroin is "likely" (but not certain) to have been "a factor" in her death, but by no means necessarily the cause of it.

It is possible, heroin in her or not, that her death had nothing to do with that. A guy I knew dropped dead in his office, one day. Aged early 30s, fit as a fiddle, didn't drink or smoke, wouldn't even drink tea or coffee because of caffeine never mind hard drugs. Yet, BAM. Dead.

Apparently, a cerebral aneurysm let go, in a big way. Paramedics said he'd have been dead before he hit the floor. Another friend, again early-30s and apparently healthy, with a young family, died in his bed one night. He was fine at 11pm, dead when his wife woke up in the morning.

So, Peaches ...

Was it drug-related? Possibly, maybe probably. But until we know for sure, if we ever do, then drugs may or may not be the cause, either a large or small factor in the cause, or perhaps nothing whatever to do with it. But right now, we simply do not know.

14. Received thanks from:

jimborae (02-05-2014)

Thanks
    • Andeh13's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Gigabyte GA-P35
      • CPU:
      • Intel Q6600
      • Memory:
      • Storage:
      • 1 x 250gb Western Digital AAKS, 2 x 500gb Western Digital AAKS, 1TB WD Caviar Green
      • Graphics card(s):
      • PSU:
      • Corsair HX520
      • Case:
      • Antec 900
      • Operating System:
      • Windows 7 64bit
      • Monitor(s):
      • Samsung 24" & Sony 17"
      • Internet:

Let's be realistic, no drug paraphernalia was found because her husband who found her moved and disposed of it. I bet that was the first thing he did before/after making the call.

I don't accept the mental health issues, it does those that genuinely suffer from one a massive massive injustice. She lost her mum which is devastating, but everyone suffers loss but most people adapt, come to terms and move on. Most people that do it don't have her uber luxurious money, lifestyle and fame nor her young and happy family.

She did class A drugs with an 11 month old under her direct care, putting it's life in jeprody as well. I stand by my 'selfish girl'comment, and leaving it at that is me being soooo generous for the sake of Hexus

Admin (Ret'd)
    Thanks

Let's be realistic, no drug paraphernalia was found because her husband who found her moved and disposed of it. I bet that was the first thing he did before/after making the call.

Maybe. But it's not the only possibility, and we just don't know that. And even then, we don't know if it caused her death.

As for mental health, it's a complex issue and an affluent, luxurious lifestyle is no guarantee of avoiding it. What having access to serious money does do, though, is ensure you can afford to indulge in drug habits if you choose to.

Thanks
    • Andeh13's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Gigabyte GA-P35
      • CPU:
      • Intel Q6600
      • Memory:
      • Storage:
      • Graphics card(s):
      • PSU:
      • Corsair HX520
      • Case:
      • Antec 900
      • Operating System:
      • Windows 7 64bit
      • Monitor(s):
      • Samsung 24" & Sony 17"
      • Internet:

Even so, my point still stands IMO. She was taking/taken class A drugs whilst being the only one looking after an 11 month old for the weekend. It's the cardinal sin for being a parent, risk incapacitating yourself with zero back up plan.

As for the take on mental health issues, giving into abusive and addictive substances and not seeking support (when available with said money), having boasted about it in the past and watched what it did to family member.... That's a personality flaw, not a mental health issue, again IMO.

Dark side super agent
    Thanks

But if she was suffering from depression to the point where she took an overdose of heroin then rational thought wouldn't enter the equation.
    An Atlantean Triumvirate, Ghosts of the Past, The Centre Cannot Hold
    The Pillars of Britain, Foundations of the Reich, Cracks in the Pillars.

My books are available here for Amazon Kindle. Feedback always welcome!

Admin (Ret'd)
    Thanks

Even so, my point still stands IMO. She was taking/taken class A drugs whilst being the only one looking after an 11 month old for the weekend. It's the cardinal sin for being a parent, risk incapacitating yourself with zero back up plan.

As for the take on mental health issues, giving into abusive and addictive substances and not seeking support (when available with said money), having boasted about it in the past and watched what it did to family member.... That's a personality flaw, not a mental health issue, again IMO.
    Which point? That hubby must've moved/hidden the drug paraphernalia? So far as I can tell, that's mere speculation with no evidence to support it. It may turn out to be the case, but so far, we don't know.

On mental health, as I said, it's VERY complex. In reference to
    I don't accept the mental health issues, it does those that genuinely suffer from one a massive massive injustice. She lost her mum which is devastating, but everyone suffers loss but most people adapt, come to terms and move on. Most people that do it don't have her uber luxurious money, lifestyle and fame nor her young and happy family.
    ... my view is that having money, uber luxurious lifestyle, etc, do not guarantee mental health. And indeed, for all the benefits, celebrity brings stresses and pressures of it's own. I, and I assume probably you, too, can get into a scrape, or do something stupid, and it's not likely to end up splashed all over the front pages. Personally, I wouldn't want to live in the celebrity, or child of celeb, goldfish bowl, no matter what the money was. And she didn't even choose that lifestyle. She was born into it.

I agree about responsibilities for children. Who wouldn't? But as Bluecube said, depression and rational decisions often aren't soulmates.

Beyond that, there's a lot of speculation and limited hard fact. We don't even know that drugs caused her death. Merely that it's "likely" to be a factor. But not certain.

And if it was a factor, we don't know it was an overdose. It could have been contamination. If it was an overdose, was it deliberate or accidental? It's not uncommon for addicts to overdose if they slip after a period clean, and use a dosage they would have survived if still a regular user.

Basically, at the monent, it's almost all speculation until we get the inquest outcome.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread Information